Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Big New Purchase: 20c Key Date Pickup

P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, it's not the '76-CC, it's the key date of the proof issues, the elusive proof-only 1877. Official Red Book mintage is 510 pieces (less than half of the '75 & '76 issues), but sources suggest that many were melted due to low demand, and that only about 350 were ultimately issued, with Brunner & Frost estimating surviving pieces between 250-280 in their 20c book.

This coin was offered to me in April, but I felt the price was a bit out of range and my counteroffer to the dealer was rejected. The coin's listing disappeared about a week later, and then I started kicking myself for not pulling the trigger as the coin was right within my wheelhouse criteria: fully toned, original, no major problems, graded 63-64, and CAC approved.

(Phil did an excellent job capturing the color, despite being in-holder rather than raw:)

As I was licking my wounds one Sunday, lo and behold—there she was listed on GreatCollections. I knew as soon as I saw her that I'd be taking her home, the only question was at what price. The minimum bid w/BP approximately equated to what the coin was offered to me at in April, but I placed a higher bid a few seconds before closing and won it uncontested.

I received the coin a couple days later, enclosed in this lovely velvet-lined presentation case with the GC logo on the outside, and a handwritten note from Ian. What a nice touch, and it'll be a great to add my other 20c proofs to this case. In-hand, the coin met all of my expectations and fits perfectly among her siblings, of which I have the 1876 and 1878 (thread links).

CAC Pop for 1877 20c is 79 including CAM and DCAM. PCGS Pop is 400, but it's believed that many of those are duplicate submissions. The 63 grade is accurate given the obverse lacks full reflectivity, but the reverse is definitely 64 quality. I tried to share some videos but ran into some technical difficulties, so just have still photos for now.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file