Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Topps VS OPC baseball observations...

Comments

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 71 OPC Blyleven rookie in PSA 7. I have been looking to upgrade to an 8 for awhile now. I just looked at the pop report and i think i can put that search to rest. there are 1 9, 2 8's and 11 7's. I guess I will be very happy with my 7.

man these things are rare!!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• olb31olb31 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭✭✭

that blyleven is a nice card. Years ago I bought a 1971 opc George Foster Rookie and got it graded. It graded a PSA 8. up to the second there are 0 10's, 0 9's and 2 8's. I have no idea what the value of this card would be, but it would be way above the Topps version.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • brad31brad31 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I have a 71 OPC Blyleven rookie in PSA 7. I have been looking to upgrade to an 8 for awhile now. I just looked at the pop report and i think i can put that search to rest. there are 1 9, 2 8's and 11 7's. I guess I will be very happy with my 7.

I bought an 8 OC - the only OC card in my collection - because of how tough it is.

@brad31 said:

@craig44 said:

I bought an 8 OC - the only OC card in my collection - because of how tough it is.

yes, those 71's are brutal. very nice example there!!

• stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have these two Garvey rookie cards, each graded 8.5.

It's not too difficult to determine the market value of the Topps card. That said, what do you think the O-Pee-Chee card would be worth in today's open market?

• BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:

@craig44 said:

Beautiful, man. Just awesome.

A really crummy image of my 7. I will forget ever trying to upgrade to a straight 8

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your 7 is a beauty!

edited May 16, 2024 8:23AM

Just some info -- Starting with 1981 and down, there are very few superstar OPC cards that have a lot of PSA 9's or 10's.

1978 opc Nolan and Eddie come to mind - but outside of those 2 cards (there may be a few others but not many) most superstar opc cards have 35 or less psa 9's. WHen you compare to topps -- many of the superstars have hundreds and hundreds of PSA 9's. OPC not so much.

With grading getting so difficult, the amount of OPC 9's surely won't go up much. In 10 years it may be impossible to even find a 1979 opc psa superstar card under $500. When you factor in inflation, then who knows how high they can go.

Just a little tidbit.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Tim. Off topic a bit, but what are your thoughts on the 1987 Puckett #450 regular card vs Tiffany?

Regular card in a PSA 10 goes for about $50.00, Tiffany's sell for $75-100.
    Funny thing is there are 150 Tiffany PSA 10's but only 108 of his regular card.

A couple of years ago I ripped 1987 topps and ended up with about 13 sets, but didn't find one Puckett worth sending in for grading. All too far off center.

Which card in PSA 10 is worth more $ in your opinion?

By the way, no 10's on ebay right now of his regular card, but a couple of Tiffany's.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Joe I think the situation you are describing is more prevalent than one might think. Especially the 1986 topps and topps tiffany. I think the limited number of Tiffany sets will keep the the Tiffany cards at or above 99% of the common issue. Your case about Puckett seems to have some merit about the regular issue being valued at least at the Tiffany level.

Several things to consider:

1) Tiffany limited number of sets
    2) both have over 100 PSA 10's
    3) Perception that the 1987 Topps cards were HEAVILY produced (maybe 10M per card)
    4) Not a particularly important Puckett card

SO for the general public, it's not a big deal. I think the 1987 Tiffany's will always carry a higher value even when they have a significantly higher pop.

now 1984 - 1986 could be a little different. I think there are some regular topps card that do sell for more then the tiffany. the 1985 cal ripken comes to mind. tiffany pop (at a 10) 192, Topps pop 90. But overall the pop will need to be rather drastically different for a regular topps card to be valued more than the Tiffany or even somewhat close due to the overall production numbers.

If memory serves, wasnt the print run for 85-86 Tiffany sets 5,000? 84 maybe 10,000? very limited compared with the base sets. check out prices on the 85 mcgwire, clemens puckett tiffany rookies in psa 10. it will blow your mind

Playing "devil's advocate" for a moment.

Since the Puckett I referred to was massively produced (10M might just be low :) ) and the Tiffany set was limited to 30,000 (?), the Tiffany's would seem to be harder to find.

16% of regular cards submitted were 10's while 38% of the Tiffany's made a 10. Even though there are plenty of 10's of both issues, the regular card is much more rare.

I'm not seeing how the Puckett card is not "important", if your looking to buy one for your collection, it's a pretty rare card in a 10. His rookie was 1985, so it's a pretty early card.

I think this comes around to you using my demand vs supply argument against me. More collectors are willing to pay up to 2x the $ for a Tiffany even though they are easier to find.

I am working on a Puckett master set (1262 cards!) probably will never complete it, but I noticed finding the regular card more of a challenge.

At the very least, I would argue the regular card is undervalued and the Tiffany is over valued, but going by rarity, the regular card should be worth more.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Joe's quote "I'm not seeing how the Puckett card is not "important", if your looking to buy one for your collection, it's a pretty rare card in a 10. His rookie was 1985, so it's a pretty early card."

To me at least a 1987 topps card of anyone, other than a centered Bonds, would sell for $1 or less. and Bonds might go fro $5. Combine that with the number printed and the fact it's his third topps card, it's just not something a lot people ask me for at card shows, if ever. I realize it is important to you because you collect Puckett, as do I.

I did mention that your question has a lot of merit because of the pop difference. 109 is not a ton of 10's.

@olb31 said:
    Joe's quote "I'm not seeing how the Puckett card is not "important", if your looking to buy one for your collection, it's a pretty rare card in a 10. His rookie was 1985, so it's a pretty early card."

To me at least a 1987 topps card of anyone, other than a centered Bonds, would sell for $1 or less. and Bonds might go fro $5. Combine that with the number printed and the fact it's his third topps card, it's just not something a lot people ask me for at card shows, if ever. I realize it is important to you because you collect Puckett, as do I.

I did mention that your question has a lot of merit because of the pop difference. 109 is not a ton of 10's.

This is one of the few cards I would buy as an investment, but would have to get it at a good price.

Now the 1989 Fleer Glossy Puckett is a true unicorn. Only one 10.

• balco758balco758 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2024 3:26PM

Delete

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2024 5:37PM

1972 Tom Seaver Topps vs. OPC PSA 9 comparison:

OPC pop 12

Topps pop 67

looks like the opc will be heading up for a long time, topps crashing. nice post.

Topps crashing? How do you figure?

price went from 2700 to 1400, thats half. opc keeps going up. overall seaver prices are baffling to me. very low interest from some reason. i love his cards.

• STLKabongSTLKabong Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

My interpretation of the Topps sales trend is that the card is showing a steady increase in value, but has 4 outlier sales spikes.

• PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 274 ✭✭✭

First, I own a lot of O-Pee-Chee 75's. Saying that, Topps is the mainstream brand and that carries on into the graded world. For 70's cards you can't go wrong with PSA 8 and better for any card in Topps or OPC. Yes, the population reports show a telling picture of what's scarce in graded form but it also reflects demand. I believe the OPC graded cards falls into a more niche category specifically for player collectors. High grade examples are solid buys and the cards colors look great especially in 1975

• gorilla glue 4gorilla glue 4 Posts: 136 ✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    price went from 2700 to 1400, thats half. opc keeps going up. overall seaver prices are baffling to me. very low interest from some reason. i love his cards.

It could be there's low interest in Seaver because he was from Fresno. Fresno is trash. Tom tried his whole life to forget that's where he came from. Unfortunately that dream didn't become a reality for him until the dementia set in.

How much did it sale for is one of the funniest and most ignorant things I've ever heard.

@olb31 said:

I agree that Seaver's cards are undervalued, also agreed that OPC's are too.

Since 2021 the OPC has gone up about $200.00.

The last 6 Topps (since July 2021) average selling price was $1500.00, a $1000.00 increase over the January sale of that year, with the last 3 sales averaging $1766.00, a $1200.00 jump.

I don't think you should take too much from the Topps cards drop on the last sale. Still about 3X the price of the OPC.

There is an OPC PSA 9 on ebay right now. BIN is $900.00 with a best offer option. This one should be an indicator. Other than that, don't hold your breath on more of the OPC versions being sold anytime soon.

5 of the 12 nines are in the top 9 Tom Seaver Master sets on the registry. Those probably aren't going on the market. Who knows if the owners of the other 6 are even interested in selling.

Not sure if the #7 & #8 guys are going to be buyers, both are at about 50% completed, so they might fight over the next one, not sure they are aware of the one on ebay, but I assume they do.

The #1 guy has a 9 and he also Has the #2 & #4 sets with 8's, so he's probably not going to be a buyer.

After looking at this information. I don't see the OPC version even keeping up with the Topps, much less catching it.

Simply less demand for the MUCH scarcer OPC cards.

Much less demand for Tom Seaver cards too, makes no sense to me. I have him as best pitcher in the last 50 years who isn't accused of using steroids.

@gorilla glue 4 said:

@olb31 said:

It could be there's low interest in Seaver because he was from Fresno. Fresno is trash. Tom tried his whole life to forget that's where he came from. Unfortunately that dream didn't become a reality for him until the dementia set in.

Interesting thoughts. never heard that before. Is it bad if your from Compton -- straight out the trailer?

Joe - nice post. I collect mainly Rose and Ryan (for vintage), the opc's sell for more sometimes and sometimes they don't. 1975 it's opc for both. prolly 1974 too. 1973 close but OPC might slightly win. 1971 it's topps for ryan prolly opc for rose. of course for the 1968 ryan it's opc by about double or more.

1977 it's probably topps, but shouldn't be. it's a huge difference for both.

@olb31 said:
    Joe - nice post. I collect mainly Rose and Ryan (for vintage), the opc's sell for more sometimes and sometimes they don't. 1975 it's opc for both. prolly 1974 too. 1973 close but OPC might slightly win. 1971 it's topps for ryan prolly opc for rose. of course for the 1968 ryan it's opc by about double or more.

1977 it's probably topps, but shouldn't be. it's a huge difference for both.

My main focus has been Killebrew, so I had to find all his OPC cards. I remember sending want lists to Canada and having guys send me cards "on approval" it became obvious that it was going to be a challenge to get them in high grade and centered.

I'll never understand how a Topps card is worth more than an OPC if both are the same grade, (for those years). I accept it, but it doesn’t make any sense.

I have been buying OPC cards since the early 90s. I love them. more so than base topps. i think it is because of the "exclusivity" of it. they are so difficult to find in nice condition I just appreciate them more. and they are a little different.

@craig44 said:
    I have been buying OPC cards since the early 90s. I love them. more so than base topps. i think it is because of the "exclusivity" of it. they are so difficult to find in nice condition I just appreciate them more. and they are a little different.

I guess it depends on what drives your collecting. I’m more nostalgia driven, so I care less about cards I never saw as a kid like OPC and 1975 Minis.

@craig44 said:

Then you should just LOVE the Venezuelans! :D

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I have been buying OPC cards since the early 90s. I love them. more so than base Topps. i think it is because of the "exclusivity" of it. they are so difficult to find in nice condition I just appreciate them more. and they are a little different.

I have been enjoying collecting OPC for a few years. Right now, i am working on the 1971 set (the high numbers are tough!). I will say one must be more tolerant in terms of centering or OPC may not be for them.

Daniel

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

Then you should just LOVE the Venezuelans! :D

yup, the Venezuelans are pretty sweet. I have always wanted a ryan rookie, but the prices are high, and it always would bug me to pay a big price and almost every single copy I have seen look terrible.

I have several palmer vene's. 1966. I think i have a Psa 4 might be the best one i have. I don't think i own any others besides about 4 1966 palmer's.

• balco758balco758 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love Brett OPCs....I need to post my OPC stuff soon.

edited May 23, 2024 7:51PM

I have about 100 1975 O-Pee-Chee at PSA in the grading stage. Best of luck to me! :) I have a Gary Carter that's OC a bit but not terrible in that standard OPC sense. I'm hoping it pulls a 9.

@balco758 said:
    I love Brett OPCs....I need to post my OPC stuff soon.

please do!!! we have some Brett fans here who would love to see them!

• jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2024 5:55AM

@olb31 said:
    I have several palmer vene's. 1966. I think i have a Psa 4 might be the best one i have. I don't think i own any others besides about 4 1966 palmer's.

Venezuelan Topps are tough to find in that condition. Congratulations on the Palmer. Did you win this 1978 OPC Carew?

I subbed a bunch of 70's O-Pee-Chees that were OC like the Carew above hoping for the same love. Most got PSA 7/8s where otherwise they were sharp.

• 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PatriotTrading said:

I subbed a bunch of 70's O-Pee-Chees that were OC like the Carew above hoping for the same love. Most got PSA 7/8s where otherwise they were sharp.

see my sig

It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)

their consignment bs is a cover. they are selling their cards. no one gets a 10 on that card and everyone knows it.

edited June 29, 2024 1:21PM

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:

@PatriotTrading said:

see my sig

@olb31 said:
    their consignment bs is a cover. they are selling their cards. no one gets a 10 on that card and everyone knows it.

I do like that centering doesn't have to be perfect and after seeing some with print defects in 10 slabs, it does make sense for some vintage issues.

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭

I do think that the Carew looks very nice for a '78 OPC. I get more dust than cards when I open '78 wax boxes sometimes.

Also - PSA Graders, according to Zip/Glass are paid a pretty low wage. Overall they are doing pretty well for a company that is scaling their business with people making less than gas-station attendants.

@bgr said:
    I do think that the Carew looks very nice for a '78 OPC. I get more dust than cards when I open '78 wax boxes sometimes.

Also - PSA Graders, according to Zip/Glass are paid a pretty low wage. Overall they are doing pretty well for a company that is scaling their business with people making less than gas-station attendants.

buy a 1978 opc psa 10, a common, cut it out, resend it and you will get a 7.

@olb31 said:

@bgr said:

In defense of PSA, I just got back some 75 and 78 OPC cards back and the one that should've graded high, graded high. The OC ones were slammed for that but I did pop 9's and 10's

edited June 30, 2024 8:10AM

@olb31 said:

@bgr said:

Truth is, if you crack out any 10 and resubmit you probably won’t get a 10 again.

@PatriotTrading said:

@olb31 said:

@bgr said:

In defense of PSA, I just got back some 75 and 78 OPC cards back and the one that should've graded high, graded high. The OC ones were slammed for that but I did pop 9's and 10's

nice to know thanks.

• RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PatriotTrading said:

@olb31 said:

@bgr said:

With my sub of 70s OPC, the ones that shoud've graded high, didn't. And therein lies the problem, consistency.
    And they weren't high scrutiny HOFers, they were commons/semi-stars.
    Easy 9s with a shot at 10, got 7 and 8s and now not worth the grading fees.
    If I got all the 9s and 10s you got, I would be defending PSA too.

@RonSportscards said:

@PatriotTrading said:

@olb31 said:

@bgr said:

With my sub of 70s OPC, the ones that shoud've graded high, didn't. And therein lies the problem, consistency.
    And they weren't high scrutiny HOFers, they were commons/semi-stars.
    Easy 9s with a shot at 10, got 7 and 8s and now not worth the grading fees.
    If I got all the 9s and 10s you got, I would be defending PSA too.

I’ve gone through a few thousand pack fresh ‘78 OPC and submitted many 100, I think I got 3’10’s.

edited June 30, 2024 11:58AM

Double post