Comments

• Options
    PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 263 ✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2024 12:23AM

@RonSportscards said:

@PatriotTrading said:

@olb31 said:

@bgr said:
    I do think that the Carew looks very nice for a '78 OPC. I get more dust than cards when I open '78 wax boxes sometimes.

Also - PSA Graders, according to Zip/Glass are paid a pretty low wage. Overall they are doing pretty well for a company that is scaling their business with people making less than gas-station attendants.

buy a 1978 opc psa 10, a common, cut it out, resend it and you will get a 7.

In defense of PSA, I just got back some 75 and 78 OPC cards back and the one that should've graded high, graded high. The OC ones were slammed for that but I did pop 9's and 10's

With my sub of 70s OPC, the ones that shoud've graded high, didn't. And therein lies the problem, consistency.
    And they weren't high scrutiny HOFers, they were commons/semi-stars.
    Easy 9s with a shot at 10, got 7 and 8s and now not worth the grading fees.
    If I got all the 9s and 10s you got, I would be defending PSA too.

I mean, if I cherry-picked the best 70s cards out of the thousands that I have from opening vending, wax, racks and cellos, I would hope I get 9's on many of them with an outside shot at a ten. These aren't cards that I just picked up in a collection. These were the best of the best and from thousands of card and submitted in a 150 card order. Do I expect 9's on all of them? Hell no, not with the print defects and surface issues 70s cards have. With the lower grade ones, its clear that I missed something. Even while they were in the grading queue, I looked them over and realized that centering blew on some and that I missed print defects. Sure enough, the lowest grade in the bunch was the PD I identified with the PSA scans.

As for your last statement, getting a total of 12- 9s and 3 10's- in a 100 card plus sub isn't exactly success. That's 85 cards that got PSA 8 or less. I look at them again, learn and move on. Maybe your expectations are too high? Maybe post a handful of your best and someone can point out potential issues?

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ndleo said:
    I only have one OPC baseball card.

Damn! If you're only gonna have one OPC card, that's the one to have!

Daniel
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a darn nice OPC!!!!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Mantle is SWEET and I'm not even a big Mantle collector.

• Options
    PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 263 ✭✭✭

You don't see card like that often.