Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A MS 62 1921 Morgan with clean Fields And 1 tic on face ?

bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Bought a 1921 NGC MS 62 at GC last week.. looked good in Photo .. surprised to see it in hand with clean fields on both sides & 1 tic on face ..,, Better than some 66, 67 Morgans I have ,,....Any opinions?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2024 1:13PM

If you are honestly asking if this is a wrong grade that should be a 66/67 well, first off, no chance from the "image" but on top of that, a scanned image offers no way to confirm your thoughts. With that said, there is absolutely 0 total coins that have ever been graded MS62 that were MS67 without a MAJOR error in the typing of the label. There are a lot of high grade 1921s this doesn't look all that special to me from what I can see (special ONLY meaning higher grade than the label). With that said, it does appear from this scanned image that the face is fairly clean, but that is not the only factor of course in the numerical grade.

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heavy weakness/wear on the ear, scrapes on the cheek, somewhat dull lifeless circulated color. It’s a wholesome slider.

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1564378/1921-Morgan-Silver-Dollar-NGC-MS-62

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting an MS-67 on a 1921 Morgan Dollar is tough because they were not that grade from the very beginning. These coins were struck with a dull finishing and often less than perfect detail. An MS-67 has to start its existence as a superior coin. That means that some issues of coins have never existed in the top grades.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2024 2:23PM

Luster or hairlines. Or both. The photo isn’t great, but it doesn’t look like a 66 to me.

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really hard to tell any grade with that pic

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send to CAC.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

NGC photo show just a few more :) contact marks on the obverse device.

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/8148461-009/62/

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    mikee999mikee999 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭

@lilolme said:
    NGC photo show just a few more :) contact marks on the obverse device.

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/8148461-009/62/

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty’s cap and the eagle’s breast look rubby.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

NGC seems to grade MS60-62s a little differently than PCGS. If crossed it could easily go 62+ or 63 IMO, assuming there is no wear making this an AU58.

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭

In looks like a 62 to me but I never really see a big difference in 62 to 63 coins. It's not like the jump from 64 to 65. Just my opinion.
    I'm glad you like the coin. It's from my favorite year.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super slider AU58++ that got a bump from NGC.

• Options
    WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭

Seems all these coins that look so clean and grade MS 61-63 have a major issue that prevents a much higher grade. Net Graded

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

peacockcoins

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty much where it belongs, according to these photos of the coin.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    KiwiNumiKiwiNumi Posts: 67 ✭✭

Well there's some die cracks from 9 o clock to 11 o clock. After looking the coin up on NGC Registry it looks like a 62 to me.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

you can zoom in with GC's photos.

definitely not just 1 tick wrong. it's got a scrape or two plus more marks

go use their zoom

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

off to> @divecchia said:

Donato

Scratches are on the holder .. going get a CAC look

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bestday said:
    off to> @divecchia said:

Donato

There may be scratches on the holder, but there are also significant marks/hits on the coin. I think it is maxed out as a 62 (besides the price difference between 62 and 63 is minimal). Good luck with CAC though, I've been wrong before, just ask my wife... ;)

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭

That's a top notch 62. Great collector value coin with no problems for that grade, and an argument for a possible 63, but not worth a resubmit. I'd be happy having that in an uncirculated set of morgans for sure. Looks like it has great eye appeal!

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a nice original coin. Doesn't looked dipped out. It's got some good surface scratches behind liberties head. Two stats after UNUM.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 210 ✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    you can zoom in with GC's photos.

definitely not just 1 tick wrong. it's got a scrape or two plus more marks

go use their zoom

Face looks worse than I recall looking in college when I'd shave after a handful of aspirin and a night of too much beer, with patches of TP stemming the blood loss. :D

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2024 5:07PM

Agree with the 62 grade- numerous obv marks, prime areas. Falls considerably short of 63. Your kidding - Somebody thought it was a 67 lol?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

none of those marks are on the holder front and back

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    SametsSamets Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

Weak strike with many little hits. I'm personally leaning toward it being an AU coin as I'm looking at the ear lobe and hair above and below her ear.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bestday said:
    off to> @divecchia said:

Donato

Be sure to let us know the results. I look forward to eating some crow.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s mine - yours might be as good or better?
    Anyway it’s a nice coin - thanks for sharing

• Options

@bennybravo said:
    That's a top notch 62. Great collector value coin with no problems for that grade, and an argument for a possible 63, but not worth a resubmit. I'd be happy having that in an uncirculated set of morgans for sure. Looks like it has great eye appeal!

I have some PCGS 66s 67s look worse..

• Options

@Cougar1978 said:
    Agree with the 62 grade- numerous obv marks, prime areas. Falls considerably short of 63. Your kidding - Somebody thought it was a 67 lol?

This MS-62 coin looks better compared to some of my Morgan 66 67s

• Options

@Cougar1978 said:

I have some 66,67s that this 62 will give them a run for money.. In hand a smudge at 7.00..... 1 small face hit.. Lets see what comes back

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you please show us a picture of one of the 66s or 67s that look like this 62?

Are you going to return the coin if it doesn't gold bean at cac?

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can we see the PCGS 66 and 67 graded coins you are referring to?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file