Home Sports Talk
Options

2024 NFL Draft

Comments

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    As I mentioned, Penix's 4 serious injuries scared me, I would not have picked him, but he was one of the guys after the "big 3" ranked in the next group. 3 or 4 of the 6 QBs picked in the 1st round will probably fail, or be average. Penix might be a "franchise" QB. Who knows?

Probably 5 of 6 will go nowhere. Which one will be fine? That is why they play, we will see. I would rank McCarthy #1 and Nix #2 if in the right systems. Both landed where they should be so we will see.

Mistake #1 was signing Cousins. He has never taken a team anywhere for a decade of starting in the NFL. And now he is old with an injury history.

Mistake #2 was drafting Penix. A rookie who is old and injured alot before he plays a single NFL game. And as the draft showed and I watched him play this year, he had a super receiver core that made him look good. This is why most had him as a 2nd round pick. Why not go for McCarthy? Vikes are happy in both cases.

Atlanta made some really poor decisions IMO. They are going to be mediocre for years and years.............

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2024 8:19PM

@bgr said:

But ignoring that part I still think Penix Jr is better than some of the other QBs selected ahead of him.

I'm not so sure about that. He definitely has one of the stronger arms in this QB class but the main knock on him is he can't really hit the midlevel and underneath throws. He kind of reminds me of Drew Bledsoe in that regard.

I'm not saying he can't become an adequate quarterback at some point,just that he,like every other QB in this class, will need time to develop.

Atlanta has to has some type of plan for him or they wouldn't have wasted the 8th overall pick. They've committed 100M to Cousins and I'm guessing that they could probably get out of his contract after year 2 if that's what they want to do.

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@bgr said:

But ignoring that part I still think Penix Jr is better than some of the other QBs selected ahead of him.

I'm not so sure about that. He definitely has one of the stronger arms in this QB class but the main knock on him is he can't really hit the midlevel and underneath throws. He kind of reminds me of Drew Bledsoe in that regard.

I'm not saying he can't become an adequate quarterback at some point,just that he,like every other QB in this class, will need time to develop.

Atlanta has to has some type of plan for him or they wouldn't have wasted the 8th overall pick. They've committed 100M to Cousins and I'm guessing that they could probably get out of his contract after year 2 if that's what they want to do.

If I have any impression I was sure of this I apologize.

The age, the injuries, the situation he’s going into. That’s not nothing. I just think there might something special about a player with that ability and the fortitude he must possess to deal with those injuries.

Anyways. I thought the Packers had a safe draft. Maybe a little surprised they didn’t go after a couple CBs earlier.

Gotta wait for Mel Kiper to grade the draft. My model uses his input as the only data point. He he grades a team low. Look out. Dynasty time. He grades them high. Coaching vacancy.

• Options

@bgr said:

@erikthredd said:

@bgr said:

If I have any impression I was sure of this I apologize.

The age, the injuries, the situation he’s going into. That’s not nothing. I just think there might something special about a player with that ability and the fortitude he must possess to deal with those injuries.

Anyways. I thought the Packers had a safe draft. Maybe a little surprised they didn’t go after a couple CBs earlier.

Gotta wait for Mel Kiper to grade the draft. My model uses his input as the only data point. He he grades a team low. Look out. Dynasty time. He grades them high. Coaching vacancy.

With Eliot Wolf currently the decision maker in NE there's alot of comparisons to the Packers Way and how they run their drafts which in NE is getting mixed results right now.

I spent way to much time reading up on all of the players in this draft because NE had its highest pick since 1993 when they drafted Bledsoe and looking at some of the GB picks, they did get some solid players.

1st round pick Jordan Morgan is a legit left tackle and was one of the names floated around to get picked here in NE. 8th round tackle Travis Glover was another name linked to NE but he's more of a developmental type where Morgan might be a day one starter.

3rd round pick Javon Bullard was the one safety that i was hoping to see replace former Pats free safety Devin McCourty
    who just retired after a very good career. 6th round safety Kitan Oladapo from OSU was another safety linked to NE. Even Safety Evan Williams seems like a good pick too, that Oregon secondary has been producing some decent defensive backs in recent years, NE's 1st round pick in 2023 was their OU's corner in Christain Gonzalez and the Vikings just drafted another good Ducks corner in Khyree Jackson. it looks like GB just rebuilt their entire safety room in this draft.

i'm not too familiar with QB Michael Pratt but he seems like a developmental type for the practice squad.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@Basebal21 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:
    Everyone seems so sure that the Penix Jr pick was bad…

Is it really because of the injuries? I could see why a team might like that kid. In 10 years it will be nice to look back at the 2024 draft class and see where they rank.

No one was going to draft Pennix top 10, very few teams had him slotted as a first rounder. He's about to be 24m he was in college for 6 years and had season ending injuries in 3 of them, of the three he didnt get hurt one was his freshman year where he didnt really play. Multiple ACL tears, a shoulder AC joint separation.

Unless the Falcons are ready to just dump Cousins and eat the 90+ million they owe him Pennix has no chance of playing for at least 2 years unless Cousins gets hurt. That would make him 26 for his first start assuming they cut cousins in 2 years.

It was an all time bad pick that will get someone fired. Theyre likely losing draft picks next year over the Cousins signings, then they dont tell Cousins until the last second, why in the world would they draft a QB at 8? It wasnt even the right QB to take there either

But he could sit behind Kirk for a few seasons. I just think he’s better than some of the other QBs drafted in the first.

Theres no could, he will sit behind Kirk for at least 2 seasons unless Kirk gets hurt.

Kirk signed a deal that guarantees him 100 million and then the Falcons went out and drafted an older often injured QB at number 8 before Kirk has ever throw a pass for them.

Then if that wasnt bad enough they didnt even tell their new free agent QB until they did it.

It was an all time stupid move and bad pick that should get someone fired

As a fan who just watched Kirk leave, I am baffled at why people hate this pick.

I was hoping at one point that the Vikes keep Cousins and draft the best QB available.

Cousins has played the big $alary game to perfection, he was hurt last year and is getting old, although he was looking great up until the injury.

Management doesn't have any responsibility to worry about Kirk's feelings here. $100M takes care of that.

I wouldn't have picked a guy who's had 4 major injuries. That's the only thing that surprised me.

I wish Cousins the best, but it's obvious he makes his decisions on getting the best contract he can. That's not illegal. The team is also responsible for acquiring the best players for the future.

If Cousins is healthy next year his team may win several more games and not be in a position to draft a top QB prospect for a while.

The biggest thing is just why would you draft a QB at 8 when you just signed a free agent one who has 100 mil guaranteed.

Its not like the Packers with Rogers where he had been there a long time, they just signed Kirk who hasnt even thrown a pass for them yet and then used that pick for another where he wont be playing for years. They could cut Cousins after 2 years which would still be expensive but before that it would be wildly expensive and why even sign him if that was the plan.

It just doesnt make any sense. Why sign Kirk if hes not the win now plan? Even if you ignore the Kirk part Pennix at 8 was very over drafted.

You get an established QB who has proven his ability to come in and immediately start and play well. If he does, Atlanta will be where the Vikings have been lately, no high 1st round pick for a top ranked QB.

However, he's getting old and he was hurt last year, so you're gambling on 2?, 3? years of being your starter. If he gets hurt, or hits the wall of old age, you have no QB. This is where the Vikings were and they got burned last year when he went down.

Don't get hung up on the $100M number, that's what it took to get a guy you KNOW will be good and maybe great.

**Kirk's best ability might be getting premium contracts.
    As I mentioned, Penix's 4 serious injuries scared me, I would not have picked him, but he was one of the guys after the "big 3" ranked in the next group. 3 or 4 of the 6 QBs picked in the 1st round will probably fail, or be average. Penix might be a "franchise" QB. Who knows?

Look at the guy we got to be our QB of the future, lots of people HATE the pick and lots LOVE it. Time will tell.

Really, the Falcons could easily have not signed an old QB coming off a severe (?) injury to $100-180M contract with a 4 year length. That's why we let him go.

I just don't like Atlanta's plan here at all, but if Kirk goes down, you have someone that might be able to step in and be serviceable.

There is a logic to Atlanta's thinking. Not what I would have done, but it does make sense.

ATL diidnt get a high ranked first round QB this year. They took a QB high that basically no one had ranked as a top 10 pick or the 4th best QB but thats about it.

Even ignoring whether or not Pennix should have been a 10 pick or the 4th QB off the board (the answer is no to both of those) its impossible to seperate the pick from the free agent signing.

You either sign Kirk and then use the pick to add weapons or you dont sign Kirk which will likely cost them draft pick(s) next year and then use a top 10 pick to draft a "replacement".

100 guaranteed over 2 years means Kirk is starting no matter what barring injury. Pennix will sit on the bench for a minimum of two years barring injury and more likely 3 or all four and be close to 30 when he starts and will probably just get hurt again. Tearing the same ACL again doesnt have a good success rate just like a second TJ surgery doesnt.

They could have easily traded down and still gotten Penix or waited until next year and gotten a QB just as good if not better. Wasting a pick that high does give them a good chance of having another in that range next year. Someones going to end up getting fired from it in the next year or two, you just dont do the big free agent signing and then make that pick

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    i'm not too familiar with QB Michael Pratt but he seems like a developmental type for the practice squad.

Pratt is eh. He made Tulane better than they should have been and the big claim to fame was scoring 16 points in 4 minutes to beat USC in the Cotton Bowl. He should be a solid backup but not someone you want starting

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

here's an article about AD Mitchell. i expected the Bills to be all over him with the first pick on day 2, but apparently there are indeed character flaws as a result of him not staying on top of his type 1 diabetes. if the Colts can straighten him out, he could very well be the steal of the draft because I've seen him ball out

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2024/4/26/24142105/adonai-mitchell-colts-slide-nfl-draft

• Options

Some interesting names to keep an eye on that all had family ties to the NFL. These are the names that I know of.
    RB Frank Gore Jr - Bills UDFA
    WR Terique Owens ( Terrell Owens kid) - 49ers UDFA
    Jeremiah Trotter Jr - Eagles
    DT Kris Jenkins - Bengals
    WR Brenden Rice - Chargers
    LT Joe Alt - Chargers
    WR Marvin Harrison Jr - Cardinals
    WR Luke McCaffrey - Commanders
    OT Kingsley Suamataia - Chiefs

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Some interesting names to keep an eye on that all had family ties to the NFL. These are the names that I know of.
    LT Joe Alt - Chargers

Javon Foster from Missouri 4th round pick
    Ainias Smith from Texas A&M 5th round pick his brother is a DB in the league
    DL from Utah Elliss 3rd round pick. I believe his dad was a Pro Bowler back when that actually meant something

Theres some more linemen and linebackers I just cant remember. A lot of them ended up not being rated that highly.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:
    LT Joe Alt - Chargers

DL from Utah Elliss 3rd round pick. I believe his dad was a Pro Bowler back when that actually meant something

Theres some more linemen and linebackers I just cant remember. A lot of them ended up not being rated that highly.

Tua's brother Taulia Tagovailoa got an invite with the Seahawks too.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

Pratt is eh. He made Tulane better than they should have been and the big claim to fame was scoring 16 points in 4 minutes to beat USC in the Cotton Bowl. He should be a solid backup but not someone you want starting

Gutekunst had mentioned in a few interviews that he wants to get back to "drafting a QB every draft", which the packers used successfully to pick up and develop quite a few QBs which they used as trade chips. Many of those QBs went on to become starters and have great careers.

Brunell
    Hasselbeck
    Brooks
    Flynn

There's probably a couple more.

I don't know anything about Pratt so I am just connecting the dots between the pick and the statements to the media. He seems like he has the frame and arm but needs development. Perhaps we read different articles on Pratt, but I don't get any sense on whether his limit is characterized.

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2024 3:03PM

I am absolutely thrilled about the 2024 NFL Draft of the Minnesota Vikings.

I was 100% all-in and hoping-praying we landed JJ McCarthy.

I wanted nothing to do with Drake Maye & for them to land arguably the best defensive player at the biggest need position, it was A+ in the first round.

Sure, we gave up a lot of draft capital (only 3 picks next year) but the GM's job was on the line & he delivered with two gigantic names in the first round. Plus, they will get compensatory picks next year along with some other expected capital from the dip shits in Atlanta over Kirk-O-Chainz "tampering".

They also selected not one but TWO of my alma mater players with two Wide Receivers from Mercer University.

I'm all-in on JJ McCarthy. Time will tell but hope will get me through what will likely be a 5 to 7 win season this fall.

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being a Bills fan I’m not happy the Patriots drafted Drake Maye. I believe his ceiling is better than any QB in the draft. I’m not sold on Williams at all. His personality is Russell Williams 2.0. I’m purchasing a few of his cards just in case.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2024 4:40PM

@estang said:
    I am absolutely thrilled about the 2024 NFL Draft of the Minnesota Vikings.

I was 100% all-in and hoping-praying we landed JJ McCarthy.

I wanted nothing to do with Drake Maye & for them to land arguably the best defensive player at the biggest need position, it was A+ in the first round.

Sure, we gave up a lot of draft capital (only 3 picks next year) but the GM's job was on the line & he delivered with two gigantic names in the first round. Plus, they will get compensatory picks next year along with some other expected capital from the dip shits in Atlanta over Kirk-O-Chainz "tampering".

They also selected not one but TWO of my alma mater players with two Wide Receivers from Mercer University.

I'm all-in on JJ McCarthy. Time will tell but hope will get me through what will likely be a 5 to 7 win season this fall.

Erik. I'm really curious as to.what gets you so excited about McCarthy, it's not like he lit up the stats in college

I'm not saying anything negative about him because he could end up being a great QB. I'm just curious is all

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:
    LT Joe Alt - Chargers

Tua's brother Taulia Tagovailoa got an invite with the Seahawks too.

Hes one of the ones I was thinking of that should be looking to get a USFL contract.

I completely forgot but Milton (the QB) his cousin is Anquan Boldin

• Options

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

Gutekunst had mentioned in a few interviews that he wants to get back to "drafting a QB every draft", which the packers used successfully to pick up and develop quite a few QBs which they used as trade chips. Many of those QBs went on to become starters and have great careers.

Brunell
    Hasselbeck
    Brooks
    Flynn

There's probably a couple more.

I don't know anything about Pratt so I am just connecting the dots between the pick and the statements to the media. He seems like he has the frame and arm but needs development. Perhaps we read different articles on Pratt, but I don't get any sense on whether his limit is characterized.

I get taking the QB every year. Rattler or Travis would have been the better option to try and develop someone. They went in the 5th so that makes sense if it was too early for them.

Milton, and Leary went in the 6th that have a lot more upside than Pratt

Pratt will be a backup or practice squad guy that maybe wins a game here or there but his ceiling isnt great. If hes starting a significant amount of games the Packers have a problem. Out of the last 5 QBs drafted Pratt is the least likely to succeed and has the lowest upside.

• Options

I mean. Sure. You’re reading his combine projection to me. He was drafted in the 7th.

• Options

@bgr said:
    I mean. Sure. You’re reading his combine projection to me. He was drafted in the 7th.

I watch a ton of college football. College football and college baseball are my two favorite sports to watch but okay

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

I watch a ton of college football. College football and college baseball are my two favorite sports to watch but okay

Got it. I only read a few articles and watched a couple highlights videos on YouTube about him. Seems like he has some potential. I can’t argue with the projections. But seems like a good project in the 7th. The packers seem fully committed to Love so I don’t see this as anything more than a development QB project.

To say that “he will be a backup or practice squad” guy …. That’s your opinion. I hear you.

• Options

Out of the the last 5 QBs taken, Travis, Rattler and Leary have the most talent. Milton has the strongest arm and the highest ceiling with the most issues.

I have nothing against Pratt but hes not going to be a starter unless a team is looking for a top pick. Hartman who went undrafted is probably better than him as well

• Options
    edited April 30, 2024 9:38AM

Why I liked McCarthy over Maye:

• Size. Height, weight, hand size
    • Ball speed. 2nd fastest recorded ball speed in combine history (behind Josh Allen)
    • Legs. He can run with good speed.
    • Age. He just turned 21.
    • Leadership, character, hard worker. His press conferences post-draft have been solid and unusually mature.
    • Smart. Says he has a 4.0 GPA at Michigan.
    • Winner. Some guys have the "it" factor & he's won 4 titles (1 NCAA, 2 HS in MI, 1 HS in FL)
    • Midwestern guy that grew up loving hockey (OK, I learned about this after the fact).

The biggest reason was what I saw on tape & what stood out the most was his pocket presence. He stands tall, will take a hit and deliver the pass without getting skittish or "happy feet". Drake Maye's footwork is not good and he panicked in the pocket, making many off-balanced throws. After watching Cousins lack of pocket presence and dink-dunk mentality, McCarthy looks like the antithesis.

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

i hope my team drafts like the '89 Packers said no one last Thursday

• Options

@estang said:

• Ball speed. 2nd fastest recorded ball speed in combine history (behind Josh Allen)
    • Leadership, character, hard worker. His press conferences post-draft have been solid and unusually mature.
    • Winner. Some guys have the "it" factor & he's won 4 titles (1 NCAA, 2 HS in MI, 1 HS in FL)
    • Midwestern guy that grew up loving hockey (OK, I learned about this after the fact).

The biggest reason was what I saw on tape & what stood out the most was his pocket presence. He stands tall, will take a hit and deliver the pass without getting skittish or "happy feet". Drake Maye's footwork is not good and he panicked in the pocket, making many off-balanced throws. After watching Cousins lack of pocket presence and dink-dunk mentality, McCarthy looks like the antithesis.

Love it

• Options

@estang said:

Mayes the better QB. McCarthy may end up having a couple better seasons because he was drafted into a much better spot but Maye is better.

McCarthy averaged under 200 passing yards a game as a full time starter.

The B!g has been pretty bad the last two years. Its had 3 teams at the top with Michigan, OSU, and Penn State. I'm not even sure Penn State should count since Franklin gets the yips and just loses to ranked teams every time but their talent is close to the top too.

Michigan though so highly of McCarthy that against Penn State they attempted a total of 8 passes against PSU and went over 37 minutes without attempting a pass so he couldnt mess it up.

Basically every game for McCarthy Michigan was significantly better than the other team especially on the lines. Maye on the other hand had to elevate a team where they often werent the most talented team on the field and his best WR was even held out of several games by the NCAA last year.

Theres like 20-30 QBs that could have been at Michigan just handing the ball off a lot, if McCarthy was starting at UNC they wouldnt have made a bowl game.

• Options
    edited April 30, 2024 1:34PM

I liked McCarthy and would have been cool with NE trading back, drafting JJ while ending up with additional high picks.

McCarthy to me is a good at everything, great at nothing kind of QB and the only real knocks on him are:
    1) There's no game film of him handling a much larger workload like some of the other higher rated QBs had.
    2) There's also really no game film showing how McCarthy deals with adversity. Michigan was always winning and playing from ahead.

He's a very good decision maker, can make all of throws and he just wins. I still think that Drake Maye will be the better QB over the long run but McCarthy is probably going to be a very good one in his own right.
    He also ended up in the best situation for any rookie QB coming out of this draft in Minnesota. Justin Jefferson/Jordan Addison at WR, TJ Hockenberg at TE, Aaron Jones at RB and they have one of the best left tackles in football in Christian Darrisaw. PLUS he gets to play half of his games inside.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    Out of the the last 5 QBs taken, Travis, Rattler and Leary have the most talent. Milton has the strongest arm and the highest ceiling with the most issues.

I have nothing against Pratt but hes not going to be a starter unless a team is looking for a top pick. Hartman who went undrafted is probably better than him as well

No matter how certain you are Carl Gauss says... not so fast!

• Options

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

Travis fell because he broke his leg at the end of last season. I'm not even sure hed be able to play this year and obviously theres risks if he will be the same guy when it heals.

Leary was the preseason ACC player of the year his junior year. He had a major shoulder injury that ended his season early and the arm strength hasnt come back yet. If if does come back hes more talented.

Rattler was a preseason Heisman favorite at Oklahoma who is a first round talent that is just very inconsistent. One day he can look like he should be the 1st overall pick and then another day you wonder how hes even starting.

All three have a much higher upside

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

Travis fell because he broke his leg at the end of last season. I'm not even sure hed be able to play this year and obviously theres risks if he will be the same guy when it heals.

Leary was the preseason ACC player of the year his junior year. He had a major shoulder injury that ended his season early and the arm strength hasnt come back yet. If if does come back hes more talented.

Rattler was a preseason Heisman favorite at Oklahoma who is a first round talent that is just very inconsistent. One day he can look like he should be the 1st overall pick and then another day you wonder how hes even starting.

All three have a much higher upside

Sounds like randomness is working as expected then.

• Options

@bgr Green Bay has nothing to lose by drafting Michael Pratt in the 7th round. Most players that late in the draft don't pan out but he went to the Packers, a team that has shown that it can develop QBs over the years.
    Even if the best case scenario is the guy becomes GB's backup for the next 2-3 years at dirt cheap money, plays 4 or 5 random games in garbage time and maybe makes a start if Jordan love misses a game at some point for whatever, that would be a good outcome for someone drafted so late. Worst case he's just a 7th round pick that didn't workout, no big loss.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    @bgr Green Bay has nothing to lose by drafting Michael Pratt in the 7th round. Most players that late in the draft don't pan out but he went to the Packers, a team that has shown that it can develop QBs over the years.
    Even if the best case scenario is the guy becomes GB's backup for the next 2-3 years at dirt cheap money, plays 4 or 5 random games in garbage time and maybe makes a start if Jordan love misses a game at some point for whatever, that would be a good outcome for someone drafted so late. Worst case he's just a 7th round pick that didn't workout, no big loss.

I’m completely in agreement with what you have said.

• Options
    edited May 1, 2024 10:13AM

For the record, I was asked why I liked McCarthy over Maye, and I provided ample rationale.

Since I lack a crystal ball, we will just have to wait and see who has the better career.

The end of Maye's UNC career was not impressive, losing 5 of last 7 games with 4 of them unranked. One of the wins was a squeaker against Duke, while his team was ranked in the Top 25 - so they couldn't have been "bad".

I don't think you win 4 state/national titles by the age of 20 just handing off the ball...

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options

Maye also lost his two best receiving targets going into 2023 and his best option once the season started was a guy that the NCAA dicked around with his eligibility for most of the season in Dez Walker, who just got drafted by the Ravens. He missed close to half their season.

Maye also had a brand new offensive coordinator brought in too. New offense meant new system which led to all of the footwork issues that his detractors love pointing out.

I would have been very happy with Maye or McCarthy because at their age, 21, they're both young enough to have time to develop compared to a QB like Jayden Daniels who at 24 is probably starting right away.

Pointing out Jj McCarthy doesn't has as much game film throwing the ball as other QBs in this draft isn't knocking the guy, its just pointing out the truth. He wasn't asked to throw the ball as much as those other QBs but that's far from being a negative in any way.
    In Minnesota he'll have HC Kevin O'Connell & QB coach Josh McCown who were both former NFL quarterbacks. McCown also coached Drake Maye in high school and played a part in his development at a young age,that's only going to be a positive for McCarthy at some point too.

• Options

Just handing off the ball for the most part is exactly what McCarthy did at Michigan. He attempted more than 30 passes four times in his two years starting and only once last year. One of those games was the playoff game they lost to TCU and another was against Illinois where he threw it 34 times for 208 yards and 0 TDs.

Maye was only involved in 4 losses. He didnt play in the Dukes Mayo bowl against WVU where UNC only scored 10 points without him. That was the lowest point total of the year and the only time they scored less than 20 points.

UNCs defense was just bad and not a great roster overall. The 4 losses were to GT, Virginia, Clemson and NC State. NC State finished the year ranked 19th and Clemson was ranked during the season as well. UVA was 31-27, Clemson 31-20, NC State 39-20, and Georgia Tech 46-42

UNC put up 20 or more in all of the loses and even lost a game scoring over 40 like Daniels did at LSU from a bad defense.

If McCarthy was on UNC they wouldnt make a bowl game. If Maye was on Michigan they still make the playoffs and probably dont need to rely on luck beating Alabama.

McCarthy has absolutely no excuse if he struggles with the Vikings with that offense they have and should have a better season than Maye but that doesnt mean hes more talented. If he struggles hes everything the college football world thinks he is and a backup at best. If you cant succeed with all those weapons its just not going to happen

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched the video of this kid the Eagles just drafted. Looks like he could be another Julian Edelman type in the making. I'd take it. 😊

https://youtu.be/NuEOr2cVbuw

• Options

@stevek said:
    I watched the video of this kid the Eagles just drafted. Looks like he could be another Julian Edelman type in the making. I'd take it. 😊

>
    He also has some HS basketball highlights where he was throwing down some nasty dunks. He's a great athlete, Philly got a good one.

The Eagles brought in a UDFA defensive tackle, Baylor's Gabe Hall, that I was looking at for the Pats with a late pick. He's 6-6 roughly 300lbs and is a big raw athlete. Its going to be interesting to see if he pans out there maybe making the practice squad.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

@estang said:

• Midwestern guy that grew up loving hockey (OK, I learned about this after

Michigan though so highly of McCarthy that against Penn State they attempted a total of 8 passes against PSU and went over 37 minutes without attempting a pass so he couldnt mess it up.

>
    >
    That's hilarious, he completed 7 of the 8 passes, roughly 88%, why would they think he was going to "mess it up"?

The fact is, Michigan was never in peril of losing this game. They were interested in winning, not in showcasing their QB's numbers.

I have no idea if he's going to be great, good or a bust, and neither does the NFL or anyone here.

I like the pick, and since it's a team sport, with the offense he's going to play in, and he can sit behind Darnold and learn, he should be a good QB.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@Basebal21 said:

@estang said:

>
    >
    That's hilarious, he completed 7 of the 8 passes, roughly 88%, why would they think he was going to "mess it up"?

The fact is, Michigan was never in peril of losing this game. They were interested in winning, not in showcasing their QB's numbers.

I have no idea if he's going to be great, good or a bust, and neither does the NFL or anyone here.

I like the pick, and since it's a team sport, with the offense he's going to play in, and he can sit behind Darnold and learn, he should be a good QB.

Why would he only be allowed to throw 8 passes if they had faith in him?

The game plan was to not let him throw much because they didnt believe he would be able to do so against the PSU comers. Its not 1925, you dont win games throwing 8 passes unless youre a significantly better team. You also dont have your QB throw 8 passes including not trying a pass for for 37 minutes of the game if you think hes an elite player.

Hes going to start. They didnt trade up a pick to sit him. That trade up really didnt make sense either since the Jets werent going to take a QB but they didnt give up much. If they were fine with Darnold they would have just used the pick to improve the team and drafted a back up later on.

Pennix is the only one in the top 10 picks that will for sure sit. QBs picked in the top 10 have been starting right away years

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Basebal21 said:

@estang said:

>
    >

Why would he only be allowed to throw 8 passes if they had faith in him?

>
    >
    Football 101. When you have the lead in the second half, and the opponant is unable to tie the game or take the lead, you run the ball. Nobody throws the ball in this situation.
    >
    >

The game plan was to not let him throw much because they didnt believe he would be able to do so against the PSU comers. Its not 1925, you dont win games throwing 8 passes unless youre a significantly better team. You also dont have your QB throw 8 passes including not trying a pass for for 37 minutes of the game if you think hes an elite player.

>
    >
    They WERE the significantly better team. If your QB completes 7 of 8 passes, you're not worried about him throwing the ball. Penn state didn't score their final TD until 2 minutes were left in the game. There was virtually no chance Michigan was going to lose the game. Smart coaches do not throw the ball in this situation.
    >
    >
    >

Hes going to start. They didnt trade up a pick to sit him. That trade up really didnt make sense either since the Jets werent going to take a QB but they didnt give up much. If they were fine with Darnold they would have just used the pick to improve the team and drafted a back up later on.

>
    >
    The Vikings were going to get a QB in the draft, they signed Darnold (who was chosen before both Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson in the draft) so whoever they ended up with wouldn't HAVE to start as a rookie. Their paying Darnold $10M, he'll start unless he's horrible and McCarthy is phenomenal in training camp.
    >
    >
    >

Pennix is the only one in the top 10 picks that will for sure sit. QBs picked in the top 10 have been starting right away years

>
    >
    >
    Yes, and first round picks have also waited as the backup if the team that picked him has a veteran starter. I wouldn't be surprised if Darnold, finally playing with some offensive talent, has a very good season.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2024 8:12AM

McCarthy is not going to start week #1 for the Vikings.

He will only begin to start this fall if Sam Darnold fails to perform adequately AND they feel he's ready. I expect he will open the depth chart at #3 behind Darnold and either Jaren Hall or Nick Mullens.

The Vikings are not projected to make the playoffs and will likely win 6 to 8 games this year. They are in a "competitive rebuild" mode & even after an expected Jefferson extension, they will be flush with salary cap cash in 2025 to offset the depleted draft pick capital they gave up to go get McCarthy & Dallas Turner (I keep on thinking of Dallas Green - the old Phillies manager) when I type out his name...

Based upon QBs drafted in the first round since 2000, only 32 of the 63 quarterbacks drafted made one pro bowl. It's truly a coin-flip if your first round QB is a success, let alone "franchise" level. Just ask Sam Darnold...

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options

Wait where is Josh Rosen in all of this?

• Options

Here's a look at some of the first QBs drafted;
    First pick overall, David Carr, Alex Smith, JaMarcus Russell, Sam Bradford, Jameis Winston, Baker Mayfield.

First QB selected (all top 3 in the draft),Blake Bortles, Mitch Trubisky and Vince Young.

RGlll, Marcus Mariota and Carson Wentz were #2 overall, but not the first QB taken.

Almost 50% of the QB's picked first in the last 20 years have been failures.

Aaron Rodgers went 24th, Russell Wilson 75th, Mahomes 10th, and Lamar Jackson 32nd.

The NFL teams are no better than the weatherman in predicting what's going to happen.

• Options

@perkdog said:

He was drafted before Lamarr Jackson.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    Football 101. When you have the lead in the second half, and the opponant is unable to tie the game or take the lead, you run the ball. Nobody throws the ball in this situation
    They WERE the significantly better team. If your QB completes 7 of 8 passes, you're not worried about him throwing the ball. Penn state didn't score their final TD until 2 minutes were left in the game. There was virtually no chance Michigan was going to lose the game. Smart coaches do not throw the ball in this situation.

Football 101 no one goes 2 and 1/2 quarters without attempting a pass unless youre wearing leather helmets.
    7 of 8 means nothing he threw for 60 yards against the 3rd best team in the B!G and was meaningless.

The fact that anyone of us could have played QB and just turned around and handed the ball off for over half the game is just more proof that he didnt matter in the game which no one does with a QB they think is elite. It wasnt some nonsense game against Bowling Green, they took the ball out of his hands in a two score game with over half of the 2nd quarter left against the 3rd best team in their conference.

Franklin had the yips for play calling as PSU rarely beats ranked teams so it worked.

The Vikings were going to get a QB in the draft, they signed Darnold (who was chosen before both Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson in the draft) so whoever they ended up with wouldn't HAVE to start as a rookie. Their paying Darnold $10M, he'll start unless he's horrible and McCarthy is phenomenal in training camp.

Trading up a spot really didnt make any sense. I wouldnt be surprised if Darnold had a great year. Thats a bad spot for them though if Darnold goes out and has a stud season when they just traded up for a QB

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2024 2:14PM

I’m still betting Maye becomes the top QB in this draft.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2024 2:54PM

@2dueces said:
    I’m still betting Maye becomes the top QB in this draft.

I'd like to think so but who knows, I just don't want him thrown to the wolves week one.

I hope he is on the bench learning for at least the first half of the season

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@estang said:

Love it

hey ya Perkdog...
    If you need anymore Big 10 video footage on J.J....just stop over.... :)
    🏈♨️

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:

@perkdog said:

@estang said:

Love it

hey ya Perkdog...
    If you need anymore Big 10 video footage on J.J....just stop over.... :)
    🏈♨️

Book it!! 🍻🙌

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

I was joking guy

• Options

Whomever is behind the "angry Pringles man" avatar is not going to change his/her opinion of JJ McCarthy other than he's really good at handing the ball off so his team can go 27 - 1 in NCAA and then win 3 state titles across two states in high school. I respect his opinion and conviction in his beliefs.

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

I was joking guy

I figured you were, but as I was looking at the quarterbacks draft positions, I noticed.

Goes to support my claim that nobody knows what these guys are going to become once the arrive in the NFL.