Home Sports Talk
Options

2024 NFL Draft

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 6, 2023 1:35PM in Sports Talk

too early? well, too bad so sad. :D

the reason i'm firing it up before the previous year's playoffs even start is because i am fired up. i've never looked forward to a draft as much as this coming one. my lifelong team sucks (Chicago) and my ancillary team does too (Arizona, because i keep up with Murray), thus they are both going to have shots at the crème de la crème next April as a consequence. then you toss in New England at the top of the order with the myriad fans here and i'm officially riveted.

i have had numerous wet dreams about Marvin Harrison in a Bears or Cards uni, but one guy i've really been intrigued by as of late is Olu Fashanu of Penn St. admittedly i haven't seen him play, but he is universally coming off the board first in terms of linemen in every single mock draft i have laid eyes on. i've even seen him being potentially selected as high as #2 overall.

because of this, i started reading up on this kid. and dayum i like him. total stud on and off the gridiron. he was named the Rimington-Pace (Big 10) offensive lineman of the year and hasn't allowed a single sack in 650 pass-protection attempts the past two seasons. and off the field he's equally impressive. his coach (Franklin) told him he should go to the NFL after last season because he'd be a guaranteed 1st-rounder, but he said nope, i'm coming back to get my degree. and now he's a finalist for the Campbell Trophy -- the "Academic Heisman." teams in dire need of an intelligent stalwart at left tackle must be salivating.

here's a great 4-min vid about him. i think the resident PSU fan (@stevek) will especially enjoy it. can the Bears somehow find a way to draft one of these highly-touted QBs, Harrison AND Fashanu?? 😂

https://x.com/PennStateFball/status/1731694108719149496?s=20

Comments

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes I think there are two top draft picks or groups of top picks. The first group is the top 3-4 that teams waste looking for their franchise QB and then there's the second group which can render some top lineman, receivers and DB's.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am thinking Caleb Williams could be the Pats next QB, not sure how I feel about it just yet

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2023 4:12PM

I'm wondering what the Vikings are going to do at QB. Cousins wants to stay but will be another year older. Plus he's recovering from a pretty serious injury.
    He has hinted at a home team discount, but he will still be expensive.
    Doesn't look like we will be drafting very high unless we collapse.
    Let Cousins walk and 😳 trade Jefferson for draft picks?
    That would save them $70M or so to spend on a young top rated QB and other needs.
    The thought of going back to guys like Christian Ponder and Ted Bridgewater gives me nightmares.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    too early? well, too bad so sad. :D

the reason i'm firing it up before the previous year's playoffs even start is because i am fired up. i've never looked forward to a draft as much as this coming one. my lifelong team sucks (Chicago) and my ancillary team does too (Arizona, because i keep up with Murray), thus they are both going to have shots at the crème de la crème next April as a consequence. then you toss in New England at the top of the order with the myriad fans here and i'm officially riveted.

i have had numerous wet dreams about Marvin Harrison in a Bears or Cards uni, but one guy i've really been intrigued by as of late is Olu Fashanu of Penn St. admittedly i haven't seen him play, but he is universally coming off the board first in terms of linemen in every single mock draft i have laid eyes on. i've even seen him being potentially selected as high as #2 overall.

because of this, i started reading up on this kid. and dayum i like him. total stud on and off the gridiron. he was named the Rimington-Pace (Big 10) offensive lineman of the year and hasn't allowed a single sack in 650 pass-protection attempts the past two seasons. and off the field he's equally impressive. his coach (Franklin) told him he should go to the NFL after last season because he'd be a guaranteed 1st-rounder, but he said nope, i'm coming back to get my degree. and now he's a finalist for the Campbell Trophy -- the "Academic Heisman." teams in dire need of an intelligent stalwart at left tackle must be salivating.

here's a great 4-min vid about him. i think the resident PSU fan (@stevek) will especially enjoy it. can the Bears somehow find a way to draft one of these highly-touted QBs, Harrison AND Fashanu?? 😂

Very much enjoyed it. Thank you! 😊

You're right about the intrigue of Olu Fashanu. Everyone who understands football 101, knows that a stud left tackle is an important key to a winning football team. Some would argue it's the second most important position on a football team. I happen to agree with that.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I am thinking Caleb Williams could be the Pats next QB, not sure how I feel about it just yet

Could be if they get the number 1 pick. Bears will likely take him or trade with someone that would. Hes opting out of their bowl game supposedly which would indicate his plans are to enter the draft. Second pick would be looking at a Maye (if he leaves), Daniels or maybe even Sanders if he leaves if they want to pick a QB

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it a done deal that the Bears are through with Fields?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:

Wouldn't you be?

• Options

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

Wouldn't you be?

I have only watched him in one game this year. he was OK. not great. I guess I dont know how he has been.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

Wouldn't you be?

I have only watched him in one game this year. he was OK. not great. I guess I dont know how he has been.

I haven't watched alot of the Bears either but the bottom line is they are a bad football team, Fields has not done a thing since he has been there.

I'm of the mindset that when teams are consistently bad you rip the entire thing down and start over

Kinda exactly how I feel about our Pats

• Options

They have a new president and a new coach since Fields was drafted, hes the guy from the past front office. There is a growing belief theyre done with him. There wouldnt be any reason to keep the first pick if they were planning on sticking with him. They can trade down with a team that wants a QB and still get someone plus picks. Theyre more than just a QB away from being competitive anyways

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭

Theyre more than just a QB away from being competitive anyways

Weren't folks saying the same thing about the Texans last year? The right QB makes all the difference in the world. The issue is, no one in the NFL actually knows how to pick the right QB. There is very little rhyme or reason to which top QB picks will be able to elevate their team.

Robb

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    Theyre more than just a QB away from being competitive anyways

Weren't folks saying the same thing about the Texans last year? The right QB makes all the difference in the world. The issue is, no one in the NFL actually knows how to pick the right QB. There is very little rhyme or reason to which top QB picks will be able to elevate their team.

Robb

The Texans have improved, but they still arent some great team. They lost to Carolina and ATL and only beat Tampa by 2, theyre basically one play away from being a .500 team.

They brought in a lot more than just Stroud as well, both on the player side and the coaching side. One of the reasons why QBs have such a high failure rate at all levels is that offensive coordinators generally try and dictate what a QB will do and how they will play trying to make the QB fit into their system instead of the system fitting the QB. What gets overlooked (which Stroud has talked about) is the Texans brought in an OC who designed an offense around the things Stroud is good at instead of trying to make Stroud change.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2023 2:05PM

@fergie 23 said: The issue is, no one in the NFL actually knows how to pick the right QB.

If you remember last season the "knock" on CJ Stroud was the test they use with QB's to see how fast they process information and he scored poorly and was promptly criticized and downplayed as no good. So much for that test. In the end it's as you say, nobody can tell how a QB will play based on anything. The past several years have been dismal. NCAA football isn't the same as NFL football no matter how well a school program mimics the NFL.

• Options

still so stoked

right now it's Chicago, Washington, New England and Arizona, but i have a funny feeling that some desperate team is going to pay a king's ransom to move near the top to snag a QB. but if not, i truly hope it's

Chicago - Caleb Williams
    Washington - Drake Maye
    New England - Jayden Daniels
    Arizona - Marvin Harrison Jr.

• Options

I really hope Jayden doesnt go to NE for his sake. Theres too much that need to be brought in offensively to have a chance at success.

I wont even try and predict who order the top 3 Qbs will go, theres to much talk about them hoping over each other. Caleb from the coaching hires seems like he would be the Bears pick if they go QB, if they dont they should without question trade down again. I wouldnt be surprised if Daniels ended up jumping Maye and I honestly have no idea about what the NE coach will do with a draft. Theres a couple Edge rushers that might tempt him more

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 49rs need to draft a QB to replace Purdy, since he is not very good.

• Options

@SanctionII said:

Williams, McCaffery, Kittle, Debo, Aiyuk, and they also have an all pro FB. They wont all be there forever

They will be drafting to late for a big QB but could get a WR and should just load up and enjoy it while they can because it wont last long.

Not sure why youre so hung up on Purdy

• Options

I am not hung up on Purdy.

I have learned that he is not very good and thought that people should know.

Is/are there any other player(s) on the 49rs roster that are also not very good? If so, people should also know that.

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    I am not hung up on Purdy.

I have learned that he is not very good and thought that people should know.

Is/are there any other player(s) on the 49rs roster that are also not very good? If so, people should also know that.

Would you like to have actual discussions about players?

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not sold on Caleb Williams. I watched him play 3 or 4 games and I know I wasn’t nearly as impressed as the tv announcers were.
    But I admit I could have a negative bias about him because his team lost several games I thought they could have won. But that’s probably more the defenses fault because if I remember correctly they gave up a lot of points.
    I will be very interested to see how he does in the NFL seems like a nice kid I just have doubts about him being a top tier franchise QB.

• Options

Basebal21.

No. I am a casual fan of football and do not follow the players, coaches and teams in depth. My preferred sport is basketball.

The story about Purdy is interesting. Many have concluded he is not very good, you included. Some have opined that he will never be very good, or good at all. I think such talk is premature, since he has only played about 1.5 seaasons. More time is needed to pass (i.e. 2 or 3 seasons with him playing with different levels of talent around him) before he can be properly assessed.

In the meantime I enjoy hearing/reading about how fans, pundits, etc. view him.

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    Basebal21.

No. I am a casual fan of football and do not follow the players, coaches and teams in depth. My preferred sport is basketball.

The story about Purdy is interesting. Many have concluded he is not very good, you included. Some have opined that he will never be very good, or good at all. I think such talk is premature, since he has only played about 1.5 seaasons. More time is needed to pass (i.e. 2 or 3 seasons with him playing with different levels of talent around him) before he can be properly assessed.

In the meantime I enjoy hearing/reading about how fans, pundits, etc. view him.

Fair enough. Baseball and football are my two by far including college. Its impossible to not take into account what QBs have around them for their talent. Hes just not the guy. If he was going out there just tearing it up sure but hes not and that roster is absolutely insane offensively for an NFL team that will not stay that way and it isnt because of him.

Hes had more than enough bad games when guys are hurt already. He hasnt done anything to suggest hes an elite QB without again an absolutely insane amount of talent around him. Hopefully for his sake he proves me wrong but I wouldnt count on that happening

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:

No need to draft a QB. Mac Jones will be available. I hear he's pretty good. 👍

• Options

from what I have read, NE has the 4th most $ to spend on FA this off season. I think with Gonzalez and judon coming back the defense should be pretty good. an offense who didnt live on 3 and outs keeping the defense on the field most of the game would help as well.

OLine should be a priority in the draft and FA. Brown and Owenu are both FA.

• Options

I'm curious to see what the Vikings are going to do.

Resign Cousins? Move up in the draft to get a potential franchise QB? Both? Neither?

Cousins is coming of injury and getting old. I read that he is the top ranked free agent on the market, so he won't be cheap.

The Vikings have potentially the best receiving group in the NFL, we need someone to get them the ball.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    I'm curious to see what the Vikings are going to do.

Resign Cousins? Move up in the draft to get a potential franchise QB? Both? Neither?

Cousins is coming of injury and getting old. I read that he is the top ranked free agent on the market, so he won't be cheap.

The Vikings have potentially the best receiving group in the NFL, we need someone to get them the ball.

cousins is a HUGE question mark. getting up there in age and coming off a huge injury. not sure what they are going to do.

• Options

Maybe the 49rs can swing a trade of Purdy for Trey Lance (who is not a Mr. Irrelevant and instead was the #3 pick in his draft); or swing a trade with the Raiders for Jimmy G. :)B)

• Options

Right now it looks like the Vikings will let Cousins walk. He may change his mind, but it doesnt look like hes willing to sacrifice significant guaranteed money. With the Vikings picking 11th they wouldnt have to move up for a QB. They wont get one of the big three but Nix and Pennix should still be there. I wouldnt touch Pennix as an NFL team though, left handed thats had ACL surgeries on both knees and a long significant injury history in college which allowed him to still be a starter as a 24 year old.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    Right now it looks like the Vikings will let Cousins walk. He may change his mind, but it doesnt look like hes willing to sacrifice significant guaranteed money. With the Vikings picking 11th they wouldnt have to move up for a QB. They wont get one of the big three but Nix and Pennix should still be there. I wouldnt touch Pennix as an NFL team though, left handed thats had ACL surgeries on both knees and a long significant injury history in college which allowed him to still be a starter as a 24 year old.

Yes, I have seen that both Nix and Pennix are projected to be there when the Vikings pick, but if we let Cousins go, are either of these guys going to be any good?
    If we do pick one of them I hope we sign someone who has at least a little NFL experience, I'm not looking forward to repeating the $hit$how that went on before we got Kirk.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@Basebal21 said:

Yes, I have seen that both Nix and Pennix are projected to be there when the Vikings pick, but if we let Cousins go, are either of these guys going to be any good?
    If we do pick one of them I hope we sign someone who has at least a little NFL experience, I'm not looking forward to repeating the $hit$how that went on before we got Kirk.

Nix could be. Hes older as well and was bad at Auburn for 3 years before figuring it out at Oregon. Even when he was bad at Auburn he would show flashes making some incredible plays and has good size. Nix can move a bit Pennix is not mobile and needs a good oline. Between the two I like Nixs chances better but dont love either of them that high. Theres some guys Im positive will go in the first round, Pennix I wouldnt be surprised to see him fall but teams do weird stuff for QBs.

Leary from Kentucky is an interesting one. He had a bad arm injury to finish his season with NC State where he was the preseason ACC player of the year. He transferred to Kentucky and his arm strength just had not come back. If he can get that strength back someone could get potentially a good one later in the draft. Jordan Travis too broke his leg at FSU and will drop in the draft because of it. He probably would have been a first/second round guy before the injury. Joe Milton from Tennessee another guy that will be there late, he will be a combine monster so someone might reach for him. He has an absolute cannon, he just struggles with accuracy. Theres some other QBs they could try for in later rounds like Rattler who was at one time the preseason Heisman favorite, Hartman scouts liked a lot most of his career but was disappointing this year at ND.

At 11 they will have a lot of legitimate options and directions they could go. Theres 2 WRs going in the first round for sure and that number could be as high as 4 if they just wanted to grab one of them and make an absurd WR core so they dont need an elite QB but theyre set there already for now (Addison is a star in the making), Bowers who really should be a top 5 pick will likely still be there since hes a TE, EDGE/CB/T, at least one of those top guys will be there at all those positions too.

Its one of the more talented drafts in a while. Some first round talents will slip to the 2nd round just because there arent enough picks. They might be able to wait till the 2nd or possibly even the 3rd round for a serviceable QB and just rely on their WRs if they wanted to

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭

Purdy had the most air yards passing in the NFL this year. He is doing something right.

Purdy also led the league in passer rating. Have to start giving him some credit. He is certainly helped by the weapons but he is doing his part for sure.

They are going to beat KC.

• Options

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

Purdy had the most air yards passing in the NFL this year. He is doing something right.

He was 5th behind Tua, Goff, Dak and Allen in that order for passing yards In the regular season. Drops to 8th for total yards and the margin between that and 13th is less than 300 yards. Burrow, Watson, and Herbert would have been in that top 10 pushing everyone back but got hurt and missed significant time

If you want to count the playoffs where they played more games than anyone else for passing yards Goff, Dak, Tua are still ahead of him and Maholmes jumps ahead of him as well. Allen would have stayed ahead but the extra game for Purdy is the difference there. He wont catch Goff who will finish number 1 counting playoff yards, they will be slaughtered if he doesnt pass Tua, Dak could be close either way, and Maholmes should stay ahead

• Options

here it comes

welcome to Chi-town Caleb

hope Justin resurrects his career in the ATL

• Options
    edited February 21, 2024 5:25AM

@galaxy27 said:
    here it comes

He can't be much better than Ridder, I don't see any value for Atlanta

They got a solid team except for the QB, now that Arthur Smith is gone they should be fine with Pitts and Robinson actually being used the way they should

• Options

that would be interesting...

• Options

@craig44 said:

My main concern is if the Pats can draft a replacement for Mathew Slater 😱

• Options

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:
    here it comes

They got a solid team except for the QB, now that Arthur Smith is gone they should be fine with Pitts and Robinson actually being used the way they should

Hes better than Ridder (not that that is a high bar) but it will really just depend on what they want. If theyre insistent on a 1st for Fields than it would be very stupid and they should wait and take a chance on Rattler, Milton, Leary, Travis etc. If theyd take like a 4th rounder that gets tempting even when Im not a believer in Fields

• Options
    edited February 21, 2024 4:14PM

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:
    here it comes

Hes better than Ridder (not that that is a high bar) but it will really just depend on what they want. If theyre insistent on a 1st for Fields than it would be very stupid and they should wait and take a chance on Rattler, Milton, Leary, Travis etc. If theyd take like a 4th rounder that gets tempting even when Im not a believer in Fields

A 4th rounder then sure, I mean a 3rd I might do and or even a 2nd.

No chance I'd do a 1st though

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:
    here it comes

A 4th rounder then sure, I'd do a 3rd and possibly a 2nd. No chance I'd do a 1st though

I wouldnt even do a 2nd or 3rd for him. Theres going to be too many 2nd rounders in this draft that would be first rounders many other years. He probably will bring back more than a 4th but anything higher than a 4th and Id tell the Bears to have fun with him. Theres going to be QBs in the 3rd and probably even the 4th with higher upsides if you can fix their issues. Fields gets hurt a lot as well and since getting to the NFL has been more of a runner that can throw instead of a thrower that can run.

• Options

@Basebal21

think Harrison makes it to the Cardinals @ 4?

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    @Basebal21

The Bears are such a wildcard at this point I'm really not sure whats going to happen there at the top. Theres just as many rumors about Caleb not wanting to be a Bear as there are that the Bears want to trade Fields or get him his college teammate Harrison..

If I had to guess I would guess the top 3 picks will end up being Caleb, Daniels, Maye in some order whether the teams stay at their picks for them or trade down with someone else. Theres a lot of very very good WRs in this draft and more on the way next year.

I wouldnt be surprised though if one of the left tackles ended up going up at the top there if its not all QBs in the first three picks. Theres 4-5 highly touted tackles but only two played LT full time which might tempt someone.

If the Bears dont take Harrison I think its more likely than not he will still be there at 4

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    @Basebal21

I think he will be available for Arizona at 4 when there are too many teams interested in those top 3 QBs. I'd say that NE either takes whichever QB falls to them at 3 or tradeback with one of ATL,MIN,DEN or LV who all want a chance at one of Williams,Maye or Daniels. The only way that I see NE possibly drafting MHJ is if they find a way to sign someone like Cousins,Mayfield or Tannehill in free agency before then.

• Options
    edited February 21, 2024 7:33PM

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

My main concern is if the Pats can draft a replacement for Mathew Slater 😱

yes, our recently departed future "hall of famer"

how will mayo ever hold the team together after such a loss

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    I'm wondering what the Vikings are going to do at QB. Cousins wants to stay but will be another year older. Plus he's recovering from a pretty serious injury.
    That would save them $70M or so to spend on a young top rated QB and other needs.
    The thought of going back to guys like Christian Ponder and Ted Bridgewater gives me nightmares.

Cousins will never win the SB, why waste money on such a schmuck? Crossing my fingers that Nix does not go to the Vikes, the perpetual losing machine...............

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

Best QB of the draft is named Bo. But he will be taken 4th or 5th QB bc he comes from a small market team in a small city in Oregon. Too much hype about Penix from the land of the rain, Williams from overrated MooSC in the big town, JD whisky dude, and Mayebe, but Bo knows how to play QB better than all of them. Hopefully he falls to a great organization with a history of winning.................

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@galaxy27 said:
    here it comes

Don't matter where Fields plays, he is a failed qb, most 1rst rounder qbs end up the same, tough to play in the NFL. But there is always hope of turning an early career guy around, Atlanta tries and fails with this again and again so sure, let Fields go fail for a 2nd team LOL.

• Options

@spacehayduke said:
    Best QB of the draft is named Bo. But he will be taken 4th or 5th QB bc he comes from a small market team in a small city in Oregon. Too much hype about Penix from the land of the rain, Williams from overrated MooSC in the big town, JD whisky dude, and Mayebe, but Bo knows how to play QB better than all of them. Hopefully he falls to a great organization with a history of winning.................

Bo Nix is not the best QB in the draft by any measure. Penix is overrated as well but neither are close to being the top three. Daniels is without question better, Maye also better, Williams also better. Daniels has questions about taking big hits being so skinny, Williams has questions about holding the ball to long, Bo Nix started the most games in college history and was terrible at Auburn for 3 of his 5 years

• Options

@spacehayduke said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Cousins will never win the SB, why waste money on such a schmuck? Crossing my fingers that Nix does not go to the Vikes, the perpetual losing machine...............

Always an intelligent and thought provoking post from you!

• Options

3 days away

have never been this stoked about a draft

• Options
    edited April 22, 2024 10:13AM

@galaxy27 said:
    3 days away

have never been this stoked about a draft

It's one step closer to training camp!!!