Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Won an EBay order at a great deal (or so I thought.. ).. seller immediately canceled the order!

USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 30, 2024 8:59PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Options? I’ll post a link when I get home.. Just looking for input, thanks all!

Comments

• Options
    ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭

It's against eBay policy, or it was many years ago. That said, is happened to me several times, want with my time to report them

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was it a listing error with BIN price or an auction?

• Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

And that's the problem with great deals on EBAY ...

• Options
    jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

@USMC_6115 said:

This is just my own experience so ymmv but I think there isn’t any better outcome. Some sellers are upfront with it and cancel outright while others will claim it’s been lost and make you jump through hoops to get a refund.

• Options
    TrickleChargeTrickleCharge Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

Put it behind you and keep looking forward. There will be other good deals.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

happens to fellow forumites enough to know a few common excuses, and that sometimes there is a legit reason.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USMC_6115 said:

Hold their feet to the fire :D
    eBay is a legal binding contract for both sides.
    Remind the seller and eBay of this...
    Depending on results roast the seller.

• Options
    edited April 29, 2024 9:14PM

Ebay notified.. I'm sure it will go nowhere. For reference is it means anything to anyone:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/196369116666

Just a note; if you look through the feedback he lists all his bars as "Plate."

And I'll note his ID here for search purposes: albemarle14

• Options

i'm looking and thinking it's plated foreign fool-ya crap

will point PM people here

if it says "plate" why would you think it is not?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

• Options

• Options

to start, outside of some art bars, they all should have a serial number

• Options
    edited April 29, 2024 9:40PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    i'm looking and thinking it's plated foreign fool-ya crap

will point PM people here

if it says "plate" why would you think it is not?

When you look through his feedback, all of his silver bars sold say "Plate." From Engelhard to JM... I think it is just how he lists them.

Also, all Engelhard bar do NOT have serial numbers. As a matter fact, some of the more rare bars do not.

• Options

@TimNH said:
    Why do you think that's a great deal? Looks to me they go for that price all day long.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=1+troy+ounce+.999+engelhard+silver+bar&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Alengelhard lists that bar as a <2,000 mintage. Please show me how they sell at that price all day long.

• Options

@davewesen said:
    Was it a listing error with BIN price or an auction?

Auction.. Went till the end and he canceled it as I was trying to pay for it :(

• Options

@jeffas1974 said:

@USMC_6115 said:

This is just my own experience so ymmv but I think there isn’t any better outcome. Some sellers are upfront with it and cancel outright while others will claim it’s been lost and make you jump through hoops to get a refund.

Nope, he claimed I canceled the auction.. not true!

• Options

@USMC_6115 said:

Alengelhard lists that bar as a <2,000 mintage. Please show me how they sell at that price all day long.

• Options

this one?

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:

this one?

Yes

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine

Are you trying to say the eBay bar is a fake?
    The picture you show looks like a different bar. the fonts don’t match

But if it is a fake bar why cancel the sale?

I’m a bit confused here

Martin

• Options
    edited April 29, 2024 10:07PM

USMC.
    That bar is FAKE.

Look at the corners...way too sharp as in not rounded like the one on ALLENGELHARD.
    Be careful with the bars in the hard plastic holders...that's a good sign of fakes.
    If you can get the seller to honor the deal, make sure you check it out thoroughly.
    Match it up with a known Engelhard outside the case.. weight is probably off also.
    After that get your money back and keep the FAKE bar as an example...cut in half.

• Options
    edited April 30, 2024 2:29PM

@Martin said:
    @MsMorrisine

Are you trying to say the eBay bar is a fake?
    The picture you show looks like a different bar. the fonts don’t match

But if it is a fake bar why cancel the sale?

I’m a bit confused here

Martin

I'm confused too.. I was merely asking for Ebay advise for unwarranted cancelation.

• Options

no serial number. ok i screwed that up

radius of curvature on corners of this genuine one is noticeably larger than in the auction one.

the "big E" sits lower on the globe in the genuine example

fonts totally different.

• Options

@rte592 @MsMorrisine

Thanks for that information. Just when I thought I was doing well at these bars... lol

I'm still pissed at the seller though :)

• Options

you dodged a bullet.

now you can report him for selling mislabeled (plated isn't on the bar, and as it is it's counterfeiting a real one) ingots and for cancelling the sale without reason

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok now for the big question. What’s a real one worth. Ballpark?

Thanks
    Martin

• Options

@USMC_6115 said:
    @rte592 @MsMorrisine

Thanks for that information. Just when I thought I was doing well at these bars... lol

I'm still pissed at the seller though :)

I'm starting to worry about your previous purchases :o you should probably send them to me for verification :D:D:D
    I already know your response.

• Options

Quick PSA
    Public Service Announcement
    Look at the corners on these 2 bars,
    Notice the FAKE?

• Options

@Martin said:
    Ok now for the big question. What’s a real one worth. Ballpark?

Thanks
    Martin

Are you buying or selling?
    Check thebay sold listing.
    There are variants, so you have to know what you have.

• Options
    RipnrunRipnrun Posts: 13 ✭✭

Sorry a little late to the party but I specialize in vintage and rare silver bars. This one is absolutely fake. I wouldn't purchase any bars from eBay unless it's an established bullion dealer like Apmex. You got lucky not getting this one. These bars are sold by Chinese sellers on dhgate for about $3 a bar. Remember don't buy bullion from random low feedback sellers. Always buy from trusted sellers either locally or online, too many fakes out there.

• Options
    RipnrunRipnrun Posts: 13 ✭✭

Also if you look at his feedback, someone posted that one of these bars he sold was fake and posted a picture of it sticking to a magnet. He even acknowledged that he will refund and send a real one. Highly suspect

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Chinese have been counterfeiting 1oz gold and silver bars of various designs for several years now. People buy them and sell them at the local flea market and on eBay and similar internet venues. Caveat emptor.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options

As far as your order being cancelled, all you can really do is neg him and move on.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the U S Coin Forum.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@lcoopie said:
    This is the U S Coin Forum.

Thank you for sharing that with us.

There is also a precious metals forum where this may be interesting.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ripnrun said:
    Also if you look at his feedback, someone posted that one of these bars he sold was fake and posted a picture of it sticking to a magnet. He even acknowledged that he will refund and send a real one. Highly suspect

If a buyer bought a bar labeled "plate" , he should expect it to stick to a magnet.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Ripnrun said:

If a buyer bought a bar labeled "plate" , he should expect it to stick to a magnet.

Just like those bars called German silver. Very misleading.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Ripnrun said:

Just like those bars called German silver. Very misleading.

To the ignorant, certainly. But it is also accurate.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Ripnrun said:

Not when the bar says "1 TROY OZ. FINE SILVER .999+" Deception is deception no matter how clever the listing title.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    edited April 30, 2024 8:13AM

Thanks all! Yes this was more about the Ebay question, but I certainly appreciate the education on the bar as well.

I need to figure out how to blow the alengelhard pic up like @MsMorrisine did.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

As stated, obvious Asian fake bar. Wrong fonts. OP dodged a big bullet here. This seller is obviously another dodgy purveyor of Asian bogus material- but unlike most others of his dishonorable ilk, he does clearly state "plate" in his descriptions. This was obviously done merely as an attempt to get him off the hook with eBay as far as potential "not as described" claims are concerned.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2024 8:54AM

I am no expert on bullion, although I do own some art bars and a couple Engelhard bars from that era. I didn't like the look of that one from the start. :/

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Ripnrun said:

Not when the bar says "1 TROY OZ. FINE SILVER .999+" Deception is deception no matter how clever the listing title.

The OP said that all of his listings said "plate". Hence my comment, which I stand by. You buy anything labeled "plate" and you expect the core to likely be magnetic.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    As far as your order being cancelled, all you can really do is neg him and move on.

I do not think so, order disappears .... the same with returns

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

The OP said that all of his listings said "plate". Hence my comment, which I stand by. You buy anything labeled "plate" and you expect the core to likely be magnetic.

This. If one buys something clearly described as "plate" in the item description, then one shouldn't be surprised when... gasp... it's plated.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, must have been a really good deal! :D

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file