Home U.S. Coin Forum

Won an EBay order at a great deal (or so I thought.. ).. seller immediately canceled the order!

2»

Comments

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    Yep, must have been a really good deal! :D

Actually even if real, I wouldn't considered a good deal :o

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@telephoto1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

The OP said that all of his listings said "plate". Hence my comment, which I stand by. You buy anything labeled "plate" and you expect the core to likely be magnetic.

This. If one buys something clearly described as "plate" in the item description, then one shouldn't be surprised when... gasp... it's plated.

I don't know why you are ignoring that the actual item shown in the pictures claims to be 1 ozt .999 silver. We all know that pictures are part of the description.
    Besides that, the form factor of these bars, to the lay person, is a metal plate. Nowhere in the title or description does it say Plated.
    Title as entered by seller:
    1 Troy Ounce .999 Engelhard Silver Plate Bar
    Item Specifics:
    Composition: Silver
    Brand/Mint: Engelhard
    Description as entered by seller:
    1 troy ounce .999 Engelhard silver plate bar. Shipped with USPS First Class Package.

This is a far cry from the seller saying "This is a bar that says .999 on it but is just silver plated, and also not actually made by Engelhard, sticks to magnet, probably from China, good for use as fridge magnet or brake pad backing plate"

Collector, occasional seller

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@davewesen said:

@PerryHall said:
    As far as your order being cancelled, all you can really do is neg him and move on.

I do not think so, order disappears .... the same with returns

I bought a gold coin on eBay several months ago for a very good price and I immediately paid for it. The seller quickly refunded my money and claimed he couldn't find it. I negged him and ruined his perfect feedback. He squealed like a stuck pig. :D

I believe there is a difference between refunding the money and canceling the transaction/sale. If a listing is cancelled I don't think you can leave negative feedback as the listing is no longer valid.

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:

@telephoto1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

The OP said that all of his listings said "plate". Hence my comment, which I stand by. You buy anything labeled "plate" and you expect the core to likely be magnetic.

This. If one buys something clearly described as "plate" in the item description, then one shouldn't be surprised when... gasp... it's plated.

I don't know why you are ignoring that the actual item shown in the pictures claims to be 1 ozt .999 silver. We all know that pictures are part of the description.
    Besides that, the form factor of these bars, to the lay person, is a metal plate. Nowhere in the title or description does it say Plated.
    Item Specifics:
    1 troy ounce .999 Engelhard silver plate bar. Shipped with USPS First Class Package.

This is a far cry from the seller saying "This is a bar that says .999 on it but is just silver plated, and also not actually made by Engelhard, sticks to magnet, probably from China, good for use as fridge magnet or brake pad backing plate"

I am ignoring nothing. This guy wants to sell these to low information buyers who don't bother reading past the title... but it does clearly say "plate" in the description- and anyone seeing that should run away from this, as listings of genuine .999 silver bars do not put "plate" anywhere in the listing. The reason he did this was to be able to point it out to eBay in the event of a "not as described" claim. He's slimy, but cagey.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:

@telephoto1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Item Specifics:

I'm not defending the sale of "replica" bars. But that doesn't mean that the buyer isn't also responsible for buying "plate" and expecting it to be solid silver.

• USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@PerryHall said:

@davewesen said:

@PerryHall said:
    As far as your order being cancelled, all you can really do is neg him and move on.

I bought a gold coin on eBay several months ago for a very good price and I immediately paid for it. The seller quickly refunded my money and claimed he couldn't find it. I negged him and ruined his perfect feedback. He squealed like a stuck pig. :D

I believe there is a difference between refunding the money and canceling the transaction/sale. If a listing is cancelled I don't think you can leave negative feedback as the listing is no longer valid.

I do still have the option to leave feedback.. I've checked. If I choose to leave a negative, I have to wait seven days, I tried :)

I just received an apology from the seller claiming he canceled the auction by accident. Someone else requested a cancelation and he canceled mine. Oh well, I'm probably not going to leave any feedback and move on with the education that I learned here.

Thanks again!

@USMC_6115 said:

@JBK said:

@PerryHall said:

@davewesen said:

@PerryHall said:

I do still have the option to leave feedback.. I've checked. If I choose to leave a negative, I have to wait seven days, I tried :)

I just received an apology from the seller claiming he canceled the auction by accident. Someone else requested a cancelation and he canceled mine. Oh well, I'm probably not going to leave any feedback and move on with the education that I learned here.

Thanks again!

Or you can invest more time, buy it, get your money back because it's obviously a counterfeit fake, keep the bar as a learning tool.

@rte592 said:

@USMC_6115 said:

@JBK said:

@PerryHall said:

@davewesen said:

@PerryHall said:

Thanks again!

Or you can invest more time, buy it, get your money back because it's obviously a counterfeit fake, keep the bar as a learning tool.

So, you recommend theft...

• coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭

Ebay won't do anything unless they repeatedly do that to buyers. Theoretically, you could retain an attorney to pursue them over breach of contract. It has happened before with the plaintiff prevailing involving high dollar items.

@jmlanzaf said:

@rte592 said:

@USMC_6115 said:

@JBK said:

@PerryHall said:

@davewesen said:

@PerryHall said:

Thanks again!

What theft are you referring to.
    The seller trying to pass this bar off as Legit silver?
    I merely suggested if someone has the time to invest, hit these looser sellers in their pocketbook...it's the only way to make a point of slowing the flow of FAKES.
    eBay will side with the buyer of said Fake bar and the buyer will be refunded their money and get to keep the FAKE bar.
    I don't recommend doing that on this bar though...you will pay sales tax on the shipping costs (now who's stealing??) and could possibly not get the shipping costs refunded.
    This may be the angle of the seller??
    Make $5 on the shipping selling FAKE silver bars that cost $0.30.
    eBay doesn't care about these listings, they get a sellers fee and the.gov gets a sales (COUGH COUGH) transaction fee.

@rte592 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@rte592 said:

@USMC_6115 said:

@JBK said:

@PerryHall said:

@davewesen said:

@PerryHall said:

Thanks again!

What theft are you referring to.
    The seller trying to pass this bar off as Legit silver?
    I merely suggested if someone has the time to invest, hit these looser sellers in their pocketbook...it's the only way to make a point of slowing the flow of FAKES.
    eBay will side with the buyer of said Fake bar and the buyer will be refunded their money and get to keep the FAKE bar.
    I don't recommend doing that on this bar though...you will pay sales tax on the shipping costs (now who's stealing??) and could possibly not get the shipping costs refunded.
    This may be the angle of the seller??
    Make $5 on the shipping selling FAKE silver bars that cost $0.30.
    eBay doesn't care about these listings, they get a sellers fee and the.gov gets a sales (COUGH COUGH) transaction fee.

Buying an item with the intent to keep it at no cost sounds like theft to me.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2024 1:55PM

Well shall I send u a grief card you did not get your rip? I’m crying in my beer.

Just move on / don’t do any more biz w him.

How big a rip was it?

Coins & Currency
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@davewesen said:

@PerryHall said:

Yes I bet you feel real big don’t you?

Coins & Currency
    edited April 30, 2024 1:59PM

@Cougar1978 said:
    Well shall I send u a grief card you did not get your rip? I’m crying in my beer.

Just move on / don’t do any more biz w him.

How big a rip was it?

Read the thread...

Geesh

Summary: it was a negative $40 "rip"

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

Legally you have a contract and you can take the seller court for specific performance, but that will be more time and effort than it is worth.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2024 2:25PM

Look at the space between the "L" and "V".

Wide: fake.
    Normal: probably real.

Also note the position of the dot after the "Z" in relation to the "R" below it.
    And the gap between the bottom of the large "E" and the globe parallel line.

@dcarr said:
    Look at the space between the "L" and "V".

Wide: fake.
    Normal: probably real.

Yep, it sure helped blowing up alengelhard's photo. Also under their counterfeit bar section (none are listed under a 1 ounce listing but "Other Bars and Rounds") I found the suspect bar. Lesson learned!

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

^
    Also the spacing of the . 999 vs .999
    The font of the "1" is also off.
    The "Z" on the genuine is slightly smaller than the "O" and the "O" is a different
    shape on VS the fake.

peacockcoins

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2024 5:24PM

Look at how sharp the curves on the edge corners are vs the original.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eductate me in this item's regards. What makes this(should it have been legitimate) a great deal at $36. I am totally uneducated in values of these items, other than silver content/value. I know about pre 50's bars can be extremely valuable for a collector's standpoint but I was not aware that the newer ones were also. Thanks for your reply. Always anxious to learn.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USMC_6115 said:
    Thanks all! Yes this was more about the Ebay question, but I certainly appreciate the education on the bar as well.

I need to figure out how to blow the alengelhard pic up like @MsMorrisine did.

hover over the image, right click, then select "open image in new tab"

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • JBKJBK Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Eductate me in this item's regards. What makes this(should it have been legitimate) a great deal at $36. I am totally uneducated in values of these items, other than silver content/value. I know about pre 50's bars can be extremely valuable for a collector's standpoint but I was not aware that the newer ones were also. Thanks for your reply. Always anxious to learn.
    Jim

A prior post above shows that less than 2,000 of that particular design were produced. Bullion silver bars are apparently collectable now.

@JBK said:

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

A prior post above shows that less than 2,000 of that particular design were produced. Bullion silver bars are apparently collectable now.

Bullion bars have been collectible for decades.

It's not theft.
    The seller will gladly refund your money because he knows it's a FAKE and against thebays rules.
    He doesn't want to pay for the $5 return shipping because he buys them for THIRTY CENTS at which point he will gladly let the buyer keep it and hope he doesn't receive negative feedback.

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dhikewhitney said:
    And that's the problem with great deals on EBAY ...

It's become that way, it seems. I've had a few auction wins canceled on me for questionable reasons after closing for a low price. I believe they were all cherry picks. They didn't ripen after picking?

3 rim nicks away from Good
    edited May 1, 2024 3:18AM

@rte592 said:

It's not theft.
    The seller will gladly refund your money because he knows it's a FAKE and against thebays rules.
    He doesn't want to pay for the $5 return shipping because he buys them for THIRTY CENTS at which point he will gladly let the buyer keep it and hope he doesn't receive negative feedback.

Your intent is to get the item for free. Regardless of whether the buyer accommodates you or not. You could play this game with any $5 item on ebay, real or counterfeit.

• bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

@USMC_6115 said:
    Ebay notified.. I'm sure it will go nowhere. For reference is it means anything to anyone:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/196369116666

Just a note; if you look through the feedback he lists all his bars as "Plate."

And I'll note his ID here for search purposes: albemarle14

Ebay doesn't care ...happened to me several times...why not start listing at desired needed price?
    The bay not what used to be

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    i'm looking and thinking it's plated foreign fool-ya crap

will point PM people here

if it says "plate" why would you think it is not?

Will Englehard confirm authenticity?

theknowitalltroll;

@USMC_6115 said:
    @rte592 @MsMorrisine

Thanks for that information. Just when I thought I was doing well at these bars... lol

I'm still pissed at the seller though :)

Neg him and thank him for saving you from buying a fake bar.

theknowitalltroll;
    edited May 2, 2024 9:26AM

@BAJJERFAN said:

@MsMorrisine said:

Nah, after some digging I found the counterfeit bar under their counterfeit listings. But, they don't list it under 1 ounce bars, they list it under other. It's a great site but you do have to dig sometimes. It was a great lesson that could have gone worse. Lesson learned :) I haven't decided if I'll neg him or not.. still a few days left to decide. I don't do that often...I think once in 20+ years?

@USMC_6115 said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@MsMorrisine said:

Nah, after some digging I found the counterfeit bar under their counterfeit listings. But, they don't list it under 1 ounce bars, they list it under other. It's a great site but you do have to dig sometimes. It was a great lesson that could have gone worse. Lesson learned :) I haven't decided if I'll neg him or not.. still a few days left to decide. I don't do that often...I think once in 20+ years?

Since he saved you from possible embarrassment and financial loss then I would let bygones be bygones and move on.

theknowitalltroll;

@BAJJERFAN said:

@MsMorrisine said:

I wouldn't want to waste their time, but
    If you sent ALLENGELHARD a picture they could tell you it's a fake.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file