Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone want to share the coins they’re having trouble finding?

renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here, I’ll start:
1. A snazzy Petite Head cent
2. A proof 1859 Laurel Wreath cent in 66
3. A decent enough for the price ‘93 Lib Cap (my white whale)
4. A steel cent in 68 that actually looks 68 and doesn’t cost $5000

There are actually several more

Comments

• Options
    CoinobsessedCoinobsessed Posts: 39 ✭✭✭

I have been looking for an 1882 cameo proof Indian Cent for a couple decades.

• Options
    fluffy155fluffy155 Posts: 232 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2024 2:55PM

An XF-AU 1798 small eagle dollar with a nice strike, decent surfaces, and no adjustment marks.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

A PCGS 2014-S PR70 DCAM JEFFERSON NICKEL.
    WAYNE

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chopmarked 1875-P Trade Dollar
    Chopmarked 1876-S DDO Trade Dollar

and a few other chopmarked trade dollars that I have examples of but are in need of upgrade.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice 1879 and 1870-CC half in VG-F.

A circulated Bridgeport, Spanish Trail, and Cincinnati commemorative.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lightly toned 1909-D Barber dime in MS65 CAC. The last dime to complete my Barber dime Denver set.

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any Barber half with an ANACS photo certificate.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice AU 1842 Small Date Large Cent.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

A collector grade 1861-D half eagle.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

The right
    1842-o Rev of 39 half
    1860-o dime
    1853-o no arrows half dime
    1876-cc DDR chop marked trade

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a nice 1812/1 small 8.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    willywilly Posts: 288 ✭✭✭✭✭

1792 Half Disme
    1796~97 Half Dollar
    1796 $2-1/2 Gold No Stars
    1808 2-1/2 Gold
    1829-34 small size Gold Half Eagle
    1795-97 $10 Small Eagle Gold

All PCGS straight graded in reasonable collectors grades for the type. Prefer CAC also

• Options
    WhitWhit Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2024 7:19PM

1917-S Obv Walker, vf 30-40
    But I'm not surprised or discouraged. The fun is the hunt, as it was with my CAC PCGS 35 16-S

Whit
  • Options
    TimNHTimNH Posts: 130 ✭✭✭

1793 Chain and half cent, decent looking for non-monstrous money (which is like like wanting a job done that's high quality, on time, and at budget - pick any two).

Also any $5 gold of that 1813-32 style or whatever, geez those just never come up.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:
    A collector grade 1861-D half eagle.

Make that gold dollar and throw in affordable, that’s tough.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2024 8:29AM

There are three that top my current list which will complete certain sets:

1955 DDO Lincoln Cent in AU55, CAC'd would be nice. This coin would complete the Whitman Album I've had for decades... one I started as a kid.

1795 Flowing Hair Half Dollar F-VF. This would essentially "complete" my Half Dollar Type set... sans a Draped Bust SE which is exceptionally expensive (for me, anyway)

$3 Gold, straight graded AU. This piece, and an early 1850s 50-cent California fractional, would complete my business strike Denominations set...

There are others I've put on my watch list... toying with the idea that I might try a Date Set of Large Cents again... 1793s and 1804s are out there (in varying degrees of "details") but 1799s are super tough...

Edited to add: now that I reflect more on my Want List, the only real "scarce" coin would be the 1799 LC... I can find '55DDO's, 1795 Half's, and $3 gold at several different auction sites, but not many (any) 1799 LCs... I just have to wait and save more cash... the other coins will be there when I'm ready, but even if I had a big pile of cash the likelihood of finding a decent 1799 with a readable date and minimal damage is a real chore.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

An 1873-CC Seated dollar that I can afford. Low grade or moderately impaired will do just fine...

• Options
    humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 332 ✭✭✭✭✭

1936 Proof Walker in 67 (or better) that isnt hazed, spotted or toned.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quarters in VF20-AU50
    1871-cc
    1871-s

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2024 4:02PM

Some of the POPs are so off after years of crackouts they make rare coins look attainable. The POP in 1868-S halves in 66 used to be 13/0. I could not find one to save my life. Finally, one appeared and I bought it. Once I got it in hand, I recognized it and found that it was the 'not' having been cracked out a gazillion times coin. It turns out it is a POP 1/1 in 66 and the 67 had been cracked 11 times before upgrading and that the certs had never been deleted. Sleuthing and proving to PCGS that POP was off paid, and they corrected it. I suspect many of the coins mentioned here are much rarer than the POPs indicated and therefore really hard to find.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

@humanssuck said:
    1936 Proof Walker in 67 (or better) that isnt hazed, spotted or toned.

I'll keep an eye out for you.

Nicely contrasted 1939 Proof nickels remain elusive.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    I have a few but as the saying goes keep it secret keep it safe until it lands into my collection.

Reading the list in this thread isn't equivalent to most of the coins you are thinking about. Yesterday, I missed one in CRO's Early Bird because I checked in the wrong place. It showed up on my phone but not PC. Probably gone (almost) immediately because that coin actually is hard to find in any decent quality. Someone on this forum probably beat me to it. It's not really that scarce, but the vast majority are dreck. I have one in a details holder which is s till nice with less wear, but it lacks "originality".

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 said:
    Some of the POPs are so off after years of crackouts they make rare coin look attainable. The POP on 1868-S halves in 66 use to be 13/0. I could not find one to save my life. Finally one appeared and I bought it. Once I got it in hand I recognized it and found that it was the not having been cracked out a gazillion times. It turns out it is a POP 1/1 in 66 and the 67 had been cracked 11 times that the cert had never been deleted. Sleuthing and proving to PCGS there POP was off paid off and they corrected it. I suspect many of the coins mentioned here are much more rare than the POPs indicated and therefore really hard to find.

I infer most are actually more common than US collecting usually thinks. It just depends upon the coin where it needs to be evaluated independently. Higher valued coins incentivize grading submissions and crack-outs, but there isn't an automatic reason to believe that it's being done as often as I've read from sentiments here.

As examples, Heritage previously listed five Draped Bust dimes of one date at the same time in their marketplace. The 1798 to my recollection. It's not unusual for them to list multiples of coins like this which most collectors consider at least scarce. On another occasion, Collector's Corner listed five 1830 QE, most or all MS, also at the same time.

I agree with Harvey Stack over Jeff Garrett that there is more out there ungraded than most people probably think. Stack replied to Jeff Garrett's Coin Week article directly contradicting him.

I don't buy US coinage, but I look around more than most do. This includes PCGS Coin Facts where it's not uncommon to see more in the itemized census (usually the top 10 believed best known) than the estimated survivors in MS-60+ or MS-65+. (I've looked through most of Coin Facts, some of it multiple times.) I read the commentary (which is usually out of date) and it claims fewer than those right above it. Some of those listed are probably duplicates (the ones with no identified provenance) but usually, there are going to others not publicly known.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2024 4:12PM

@WCC said:

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    I have a few but as the saying goes keep it secret keep it safe until it lands into my collection.

Reading the list in this thread isn't equivalent to most of the coins you are thinking about. Yesterday, I missed one in CRO's Early Bird because I checked in the wrong place. It showed up on my phone but not PC. Probably gone (almost) immediately because that coin actually is hard to find in any decent quality. Someone on this forum probably beat me to it. It's not really that scarce, but the vast majority are dreck. I have one in a details holder which is s till nice with less wear, but it lacks "originality".

We are Latin American coin collectors we both know if you miss a coin it can be years before seen another or maybe never again in some cases. Most US coins can be found if you have the money and most do not take years to locate.

That is why I said what I said I meant what we collect Latin America. If the coins I needed were US coins I would mention them here because in most cases they are just not that rare. Of course there are exceptions.

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone want to share the coins they’re having trouble finding?
    In house ?
    I'm serious. Photo log is the best way to tell me it's here, but where ? My lifestyle demands I live alone, no one else would put up with Spunky (my pet skunk, LOL) and my hobby.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

Raw examples of the following Cameo Proof Franklins (which, if I found them I would submit and receive grades of at least PF68CAM).

1956 Type 1

1961 DDR (the big one)

The first three coins mentioned above are ones which can be found and purchased relatively easily already graded and slabbed. Finding them raw is a completely different story.

I did attend a local show last weekend and found a raw 1956 Proof Half with a Cameo appearance in a cardboard 2x2. On the 2x2 the dealer wrote "1956 Type 1". I asked to see the coin. The dealer pulled it out of his case and showed it to me. The obverse showed a date of 1956 and it has frosted devices and a mirrored field. I then looked at the reverse. It also had frosted devices and a mirrored field. However on looking at the eagle on the reverse it showed that the coin is a Type 2 and not the type 1 I have been searching for. My hopes of a nice cherrypick were dashed.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

74-cc Dime in VF-XF
    78-s Half in same grade range.

there is one additional, but may be coming up shortly

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

What I'm looking for is posted on the BST

• Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

A chocolate brown nicely toned 1923-S Lincoln in MS64BN.

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

1929 $2.50 gold MS 65 + CAC

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Choice AU '20/19 Curl 2 (O-102)

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 said:
    1929 $2.50 gold MS 65 + CAC

Just saw a 1929 P65, listed on FB, but no CAC.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 533 ✭✭✭✭✭

Four fairly common DEs.
    1) ‘59-O XF-AU CAC
    2) ‘60-O XF-AU CAC
    3) ‘61-O XF-AU CAC
    4) ‘79-O XF-AU CAC

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since I am working on my PCGS Birthyear Set, I am looking for a 1967 5C SMS SP68CAM. I saw one on ebay, but the seller wanted more than I was willing to pay at the moment.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I spent a few years shifting through bargain bins in pursuit of a raw 2008-S Proof Lincoln. The 2009-D Roosevelt Dime in pocket change took me a number of years to find too.

Nowadays it is probably the 1891-O Seated Quarter.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

An evenly-worn, centered, well-struck Capped Bust half in XF45-AU50 with absolutely NO rim dings, hairlines or noticeable marks, and that is a nice even gray in color. Also, it has to be in an edge-view PCGS holder, Gold Shield preferred.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

1889 $3. XF/AU.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2024 12:43PM

Any properly graded pre 1815 coin without problems that I don't have to sell a relative I like to get it.

Have been looking for a 2 or 3 leaf 1795 Flowing Hair Dollar in AU 50 - 53 for the last eight or ten years. Found only one I liked, and my people said it was priced $10K - $12K too high, so I passed.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭✭

@The_Dinosaur_Man said:
    The 2009-D Roosevelt Dime in pocket change took me a number of years to find too.

>

I have two Boxes of those in OBW. They were really hard to get that year, same with the Jeffs.

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Capped Bust halves for pennies

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HillbillyCollector said:
    Four fairly common DEs.
    1) ‘59-O XF-AU CAC
    2) ‘60-O XF-AU CAC
    3) ‘61-O XF-AU CAC
    4) ‘79-O XF-AU CAC

"Common" ?
    Not exactly.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

A 1958 MS Canadian Nickel graded by PCGS MS65 or higher,,,,,,,, I know,,,,,,,,, need it for my birth year set.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to find an offcenter Bust Half Dime.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 522 ✭✭✭✭✭

No doubt this is different than most, but finding a PF 68 cameo Jefferson Nickel or Washington Quarter from 1968 is a challenge. I have found the other three denominations and all five from 1969 and 1970, but the 1968s are in hiding. I stay away from the highest grade, which is oddly more readily available.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file