Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Surprising auction result at Great Collections

U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was anyone else following this auction at GC this past Sunday?
I figured that the combo of rattler, CAC, and nice color would bring a significant premium but I was still surprised to see a final price of $7,312.50 (which includes the fee). I was expecting something closer to $3k. Did anyone see this coin in hand or expect such a result?

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing surprises me anymore in this hobby.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome for you!
    I really like the greens and the normal 1881-s luster!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

The value of a MS64 1881-S is listed at $125. How much will this sale of this date affect PCGS coin values? Personally, I don't think it should be used to adjust prices at all. They need to come up with an added entry/another catagory in their price guide, basically for toned coins or the rattlers. And......not trying to change the subject but might make for a new discussion....if we were ever to get an answer.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options

@Bochiman said:
    Awesome for you!
    I really like the greens and the normal 1881-s luster!

It was not mine-I put a tracking bid but that was blown out of the water.
    I do like it (just not 7k+ like it).

• Options

@leothelyon said:
    The value of a MS64 1881-S is listed at $125. How much will this sale of this date affect PCGS coin values? Personally, I don't think it should be used to adjust prices at all. They need to come up with an added entry/another catagory in their price guide, basically for toned coins or the rattlers. And......not trying to change the subject but might make for a new discussion....if we were ever to get an answer.

Leo

I don't think it will impact the value at all. The 1881-S is a date that trades often and the majority of those sales are close to guide. A few outliers can easily be absorbed without skewing the guide (and it's possible these results are not counted at all when determining that guide value).

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭

I like everything about it other than the ridiculously inflated price. The buyer will be married to that Lady for a long long time

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2024 4:36AM

Before I opened the thread I figured we’d see:

1) two people really wanted it
    2) a fool and his money…
    3) the buyer is buried
    4) congrats to the underbidder
    5) supply and demand

A few hits so far!

I was watching that coin. I thought it had deep rich color and excellent luster. However, when studying the images, I thought the cheek might be too dark or grey so I didn’t chase it. I was interested in seeing what it sold for, though so I left the page open. I hadn’t checked yet, but wow! I would have guessed around $2500 but my range would have been very wide. This does feel like a coin that could absolutely glow in hand or it could be mottled and perhaps disappointing.

I would love to hear from someone who has held it or hopefully I’ll see someone I know on IG post a video.

• Options
    mikee999mikee999 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

@RobertScotLover said:
    I like everything about it other than the ridiculously inflated price. The buyer will be married to that Lady for a long long time

How bout a LIFETIME plus…

:wink:

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, it had a CAC.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    In the early years of PCGS, were the graders at PCGS as sophisticated at determining if a coin was ATed or not as they are now? If that coin was submitted raw today to PCGS, it wouldn't surprise me if that coin got a "questionable toning" body bag.

It’s not AT; the colors are 100% market acceptable.

• Options

@david3142 said:
    Before I opened the thread I figured we’d see:

1) two people really wanted it
    2) a fool and his money…
    3) the buyer is buried
    4) congrats to the underbidder
    5) supply and demand

A few hits so far!

I was watching that coin. I thought it had deep rich color and excellent luster. However, when studying the images, I thought the cheek might be too dark or grey so I didn’t chase it. I was interested in seeing what it sold for, though so I left the page open. I hadn’t checked yet, but wow! I would have guessed around $2500 but my range would have been very wide. This does feel like a coin that could absolutely glow in hand or it could be mottled and perhaps disappointing.

I would love to hear from someone who has held it or hopefully I’ll see someone I know on IG post a video.

I figured it would be quite lively in hand but I also thought the breaks/“fingerprints” were enough of a hinderance to prevent such a high result. I can see the buyer liking the coin but realizing they paid too much.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2024 2:21PM

An ultra-common date Morgan with an ultra-high realization.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:

@PerryHall said:
    In the early years of PCGS, were the graders at PCGS as sophisticated at determining if a coin was ATed or not as they are now? If that coin was submitted raw today to PCGS, it wouldn't surprise me if that coin got a "questionable toning" body bag.

It also CACed, so it's been viewed much more recently than the rattler days.

• Options
    mikee999mikee999 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2024 5:36AM

@U1chicago said:
    I figured that the combo of rattler, CAC, and nice color would bring a significant premium but I was still surprised to see a final price of $7,312.50 (which includes the fee). I was expecting something closer to $3k. Did anyone see this coin in hand or expect such a result?

@U1chicago said:

I would’ve bid $15K from my tax refund had I knew about this coin.

:wink:

+1

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2024 5:39AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@U1chicago said:

@PerryHall said:

It also CACed, so it's been viewed much more recently than the rattler days.

Not to mention that AT methods have gotten much more sophisticated and doctored coins have proliferated in the past 30 years. I’d feel very confident with a rattler being legit. I think that’s part of why toned rattlers bring an extra premium.

• Options

Maybe the buyer will get cold feet and exercise their return privilege.

I wonder if GC maintains auction results where the item is returned or if such results are purged from the system since there was no actual sale?

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

At first glance, I didn't notice the fingerprint. However, once I saw it, I couldn't get past it. Otherwise, it's a pretty coin. I would not have bid or even been interested, but I don't collect Morgan Dollars. I can see how others would be attracted to the coin.

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, it looks like the coin has several fingerprints. That does not bother some people, but it would bother me a lot.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:

@PerryHall said:

How many AT coins are in major grading company slabs and are considered to be market acceptable? I imagine that it's more than just a few.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@U1chicago said:

@PerryHall said:

How many AT coins are in major grading company slabs and are considered to be market acceptable? I imagine that it's more than just a few.

There are some (more in certain series than others) but this one is NT all the way. I said Market Acceptable since there is no conclusive way to prove NT but the vast majority of people who know toners would agree there is nothing close to AT on this coin.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s not my cup of tea. The toning is not spectacular IMO and if it weren’t for the sticker and OGH the results would probably be very different.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't get it.

• Options

@U1chicago said:

@PerryHall said:

@U1chicago said:

@PerryHall said:

There are some (more in certain series than others) but this one is NT all the way. I said Market Acceptable since there is no conclusive way to prove NT but the vast majority of people who know toners would agree there is nothing close to AT on this coin.

You're probably right. Most AT coins aren't covered in finger prints. ;)

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow- apparently two guys really liked that one. :o

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭

I am going to revise my opinion.
    The fingerprints bother me. The 1881-S is the commonest of dates. The colors are nice but not $7k nice, and its no moose or monster toning either. I think the bidders f'ed up and got carried away. This purchase will only get worse, a divorce is imminent

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭✭

On Morgans, all color is not created equal. That emerald green is the money color.

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crazy, that's all I can say.
    Nice coin, but...

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS population in 64 is 115,684. 296,578 total for 1881-S. There is no more common Morgan, particularly in graded MS.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have paid $175 for it. :o

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buyer will have to hold on to his winning coin for a decade before he sees a ROI.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2024 4:02PM

@Goldbully said:
    Buyer will have to hold on to his winning coin for a decade before he sees a ROI.

Only a decade? ;):D

@GRANDAM said:
    I would have paid $175 for it. :o

$350 tops for me. :|

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are so many things I can do with $7300+ and putting it into this coin is not one of them.

I would have instant buyer's remorse at this price point. My wife would, too.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bill Gates makes enough money that to him $50,000. is about equal to a quarter to you and me (give or take).
    If you dropped a quarter you very well may not bend over and pick it up.
    Same if Bill Gates were to drop $50,000.00
    So, if 50K equals a quarter, $7K is chump change to some.

peacockcoins

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess the seller is peeing down both legs.

• Options

@Smudge said:
    I guess the seller is peeing down both legs.

And laughing all the way to the bank. :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file