Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2024 9:08AM

28 days ago I sent two 1964 Peace Dollars to PCGS for grading. No updates since Feb. 24th.

I doubt if I'll ever see them again which ticks me off.....I hate a thief.

Now I have about a dozen or so coins I want to send to ANACS but I'm afraid to send them.

For now I guess I'm done with grading.

I have filed a missing mail form and got the # of the postmaster which I'm calling today.

What in the heck has happened to the USPS?

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2024 6:07AM

For what it is worth @Bullsitter I had a package stolen on the way back from ANACS. They had shipped it UPS. UPS did nothing to help but ANACS took exceptional care of me. I now drop all items off at a show and request USPS delivery home. Yes the return trip is full of anxiety but at least I know ANACS will stand behind it.

Best of luck with your package. Sometimes they reappear out of no where.

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope they turn up Bullsitter, That is sad to hear I was hoping you would get good grades for them in PCGS plastic.

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    TopcatCoinTopcatCoin Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    28 days ago I sent two 1964 Peace Dollars to PCGS for grading. No updates since Feb. 24th.

I doubt if I'll ever see them again which ticks me off.....I hate a thief.

Now I have about a dozen or so coins I want to send to ANACS but I'm afraid to send them.

For now I guess I'm done with grading.

I have filed a missing mail form and got the # of the postmaster which I'm calling today.

What in the heck has happened to the USPS?

Sorry Chief. That really sucks. See if you can submit to ANACS at a local coin show. Paul is great and can probably help you out.

• Options

USPS just called and said it was "lost" and for me to file a claim. No problem, I have receipts.

I did talk to 2 of the supervisors at our main office and they were not happy with the way their clerk handled this package.
    He was there and heard every word I said. The lady clerk beside him was shaking her head in disbelief.

My final question to the supervisor was, is it safe to ship registered packages from here?
    Her response...."bring it in early so we can get it on the way".
    That wasn't what I really wanted to hear.... B)

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn. I would be super ticked off.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2024 11:48AM

I wonder if Registered has a chain of custody if there is any discipline for the last signee of a missing package?

It's all about what the people want...

• Options

@LukeMarshall said:
    I wonder if Registered has a chain of custody if there is any discipline for the last signee of a missing package?

The way the supervisor looked at him I'd say it wasn't his first mistake. I just submitted my claim for $550, my cost.
    I imagine when the BIG BOSS has to pay me $550 the clerk will have to answer some questions.

Good news, took yalls advice and will submit at a coin show once a year.

• Options

@Mr Lindy said:

I saw Dan at the Broadmoor Show last week & added a pair of '24 octagons to my little 8 sided collection. Dan pointed out to me his Bison / Buffalo was first used a decade ago on a medal for Canadian market. I did not know that !

>
    I thought I'd seen that Buffalo before....I like it.
    Nice additions Mr Lindy....2015 Octagon....yes siree......... B)

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2024 9:34PM

Two general points, one a question:

1 - I don't understand the need to slab Danny's coins, except to protect them so can anyone enlighten?

2 - When I drop coins at PCGS I wait until the local show and drop them and then there is only the one way back to my office.

Peace

PS - Calling Dan Carr: Can you adapt an obverse from the upcoming Weinman plaster Liberty Walking Half plaster - Lot 4144 (I think) at the upcoming Stacks/Bowers Baltimore Show?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    NickpattonNickpatton Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

@LukeMarshall said:

The way the supervisor looked at him I'd say it wasn't his first mistake. I just submitted my claim for $550, my cost.
    I imagine when the BIG BOSS has to pay me $550 the clerk will have to answer some questions.

Good news, took yalls advice and will submit at a coin show once a year.

Sorry to hear that Chief ‼️😱
    I send all mine at my local coin show too……… only way to go, ( you’re gonna save postage to,and postage back….$0 postage fees)‼️‼️👍👍👍👍👍

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s very sad the coins have gone missing out action. I myself have not been on much lately….
    ….per personal illness problems. It seem I missed the
    P & R.R. Smith "$5" Token, GOLD
    It says ‘out of stock” but hoping luck out and get one 🙂

If anyone wants to see it and desire to sell me one I will be for eternally happy.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, I hear you. All mine are in Danny "OGP" & a few toned but mostly very nice and no friction, marks, etc.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭

I've never dropped off to PCGS at a coin show. Can anyone describe the procedure? Added two photos to be coin related. Any marks are on the cellophane of the OGP. TIA.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2024 12:31PM

@heavymetal said:
    I've never dropped off to PCGS at a coin show. Can anyone describe the procedure? Added two photos to be coin related. Any marks are on the cellophane of the OGP. TIA.

I would imagine just like a regular, non-online submission. The coins would need to be in mylar 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 flips. They may do that at the shows for you, but I would do that ahead of time...you don't want to be "that guy" who is holding up the line.

https://www.pcgs.com/submissionguide

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

A few new pieces added this morning..... B)

Thank you, I just ordered the Amazonian Assay Office one of each.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2024 9:45AM

The Amazonian Assay Office bulk-handled proof-like (only 16 produced) is gone.
    Picked up two each of the Amazonian Assay Office brilliant satin high grade, and the 1792 Flowing Hair broadstruck.
    Thank you for the head's up @Bullsitter

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Missed all of them at work all day.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options

The William Barber Amazonian 1872 Quarter pattern obv and rev was a great piece of art to transfer to dollar size.
    https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/1872-amazonia-quarter-dollar-crazy-patterns-1870s.html

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome Odds & Ends Fantasy !

@Nickpatton said:
    Dan sure does some kool stuff ‼️‼️👍🎯👀‼️

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    Lucked out and was able to get one of the Proof-Like Amazonians, one of only 16 made....I love it.

Nice Bullsitter 👍👍👍
    Nice pictures…….. wishing I could take as good of pics as you ‼️‼️

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    Satin and PL

Looks great BS

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options

Just got these back today ‼️
    Everyone is MS70 ‼️
    Dan’s tha man ‼️‼️👍🎯💰‼️

• Options
    nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

I have about 35 Dan Carr pieces and they have been some of my favorites but it might be time to sell, my question is, how important is getting them graded? Is it worth the time and cost to send these to anacs?

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

nk1nk, for your ANACS submissions, you can save one-way shipping costs & insurance by hand-delivering to ANACS at certain coin Shows: https://anacs.com/shows/

Just be sure to verify beforehand that they're accepting submissions at the Show you plan to attend. And of course, get a receipt.

Also, sometimes they offer lower-cost Show promotions, like this: https://anacs.com/show/charlottesville-coin-show-2/

And there's sometimes an on-going promotion: https://anacs.com/specials/

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    edited April 5, 2024 9:35PM

CoCollector is right‼️‼️👍
    If you submit your Carrs at the show,( that the ANACS representative is at), you save on the high dollar cost of shipping and insurance, and if you can wait until the next time your ANACS representative is back at that show, (sometimes the next coin show there takes a few months, but it’s gonna take a month or two to grade them anyway), you save on the return postage also……. it’s a win,win situation when you do it like that ‼️‼️👍👍

Nice Draped Bust dollar CoCollector‼️‼️‼️👍👍

• Options
    bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will PCGS grade and Truview this? I was under the impression that they won't, only ANACS will grade Dan Carr pieces.

• Options
    bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bullsitter, is the submission sent as a Token?

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    Hot Dangit......after 46 days my registered package (2 Peace Dollars) finally arrived at PCGS.
    I sure would like to know the story for the delay..........46 days.

The registered packages always seem to find a way home. I had a similar one. I asked about putting in a claim and the person suggested waiting. I was told once a claim is paid, the coins are gone. Glad this worked out for you.

• Options

@bramn8r said:
    Will PCGS grade and Truview this? I was under the impression that they won't, only ANACS will grade Dan Carr pieces.

On the 1964 Peace they will only grade the DP5 and DP6 pieces.

• Options
    Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    Hot Dangit......after 46 days my registered package (2 Peace Dollars) finally arrived at PCGS.
    I sure would like to know the story for the delay..........46 days.

That’s great news!! It probably feels like Christmas after thinking all was lost. Really looking forward to seeing your grades.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@Bullsitter said:

@bramn8r said:

I have a Die Pair 9 that is in a PCGS holder.

That’s good to know. Now if we can get them to grade the 1917, 1918, etc.
    Did you submit DP9 using the same PCGS numbers as DP 5&6?

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robec said:

@dcarr said:

@Bullsitter said:

@bramn8r said:

I have a Die Pair 9 that is in a PCGS holder.

That’s good to know. Now if we can get them to grade the 1917, 1918, etc.
    Did you submit DP9 using the same PCGS numbers as DP 5&6?

I submitted one each of Die Pairs 5, 6, and 9. All three were on the same submission form. I do not remember what coin number(s) I used, if any.

• Options
    TopcatCoinTopcatCoin Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file