Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Great ethics

Saw this in Coin World today. The lone MS68 sold for $5,760.00.

Then I saw this at Eagle Eye Rare Coins (dealer Rick Snow)

My favorite of his published statements:

** “This is the finest known example”

** “Recently a MS67 example sold for $10,000.00 on eBay. This is probably cheap for the grade” (yeah, sure it did)

** “The population is already at its peak and that this is the finest now, and will remain the finest”

** “There are no flaws, strike-throughs or white spots. It is very close to perfect. There is a small tick to the left of the T in CENT. (Side note 1 - apparently ticks are no longer flaws) This only serves to identify this example (Side note 2 - apparently the tick was added for identification purposes) and might be the only thing that keeps it from a MS68 grade, which, I believe, would be a $100,000 coin.

** “Only 6 examples are graded MS67+, none higher"

My favorite: “All the examples graded NS67+ by PCGS have issues which make them lesser quality to this piece, so this is the finest known example”. This statement is most impressive since he’s never seen the two I own.

He was made aware of the 68 example back when it was made as well as pointing out the falsities in his ad. Yet it remains.

Now that's good business ethics!

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KatanaPilot said:

** “Recently a MS67 example sold for $10,000.00 on eBay. This is probably cheap for the grade” (yeah, sure it did)

** “The population is already at its peak and that this is the finest now, and will remain the finest”

** “There are no flaws, strike-throughs or white spots. It is very close to perfect. There is a small tick to the left of the T in CENT. (Side note 1 - apparently ticks are no longer flaws) This only serves to identify this example (Side note 2 - apparently the tick was added for identification purposes) and might be the only thing that keeps it from a MS68 grade, which, I believe, would be a $100,000 coin.

My favorite: “All the examples graded NS67+ by PCGS have issues which make them lesser quality to this piece, so this is the finest known example”. This statement is most impressive since he’s never seen the two I own.

He was made aware of the 68 example back when it was made as well as pointing out the falsities in his ad. Yet it remains.

is it possible the MS68 example was returned and is now the sole MS67+?
    If so then the accuracy of the above is spot-on.
    Also, is it within the realm of possibility the dealer with the 67+ isn't aware of the MS68?
    I checked and I don't see PCGS POP reports for this variety.

Here is the TrueView:

peacockcoins

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few questions, if you don’t mind…

Did you make the two MS67+ examples that you own, and that’s why you said Mr. Snow had never seen them?

By what method was he made aware of the MS68 coin and how long ago?

Thank you.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@braddick said:

@KatanaPilot said:

is it possible the MS68 example was returned and is now the sole MS67+?
    If so then the accuracy of the above is spot-on.
    Also, is it within the realm of possibility the dealer with the 67+ isn't aware of the MS68?
    I checked and I don't see PCGS POP reports for this variety.

Here is the TrueView:

>
    The pop report shows an MS68. If there had been a downgrade to a 67+, I think the change would have been reflected.

https://www.pcgs.com/pop/detail/category/46?l=lincoln-cent-wheat-reverse-1909-1958&ccid=0&p=MS&bsn=2717&sn=37822&pn=5&ps=100

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

Thanks Mark.
    Just trying to come up with possible scenarios.
    This is one of those, "think horses, not zebras" situations.

peacockcoins

• Options

@Catbert said:
    A click on this forum member's discussions may be revealing.

Ah, shoot.
    I just did and you are right.
    (I've got to learn not to take everyone seriously.)

peacockcoins

• Options

@braddick said:
    Thanks Mark.
    Just trying to come up with possible scenarios.
    This is one of those, "think horses, not zebras" situations.

Understood, Pat. My first thought was that maybe there had been a downgrade, which is why I checked the pop report.

• Options

:o

:'(

peacockcoins

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anyone is taking bets, I would bet quite a bit of money that OP is out pal EJ again.

Hey OP, I'm a man of my word and discretion, many people here will vouch for me. If you can prove that you are not EJ I'll send you $50.

• Options

@lermish said:
    If anyone is taking bets, I would bet quite a bit of money that OP is out pal EJ again.

Hey OP, I'm a man of my word and discretion, many people here will vouch for me. If you can prove that you are not EJ I'll send you $50.

Not to stir a hornet's nest, but who is EJ?

peacockcoins

• Options
    edited March 17, 2024 11:03AM

@braddick said:

@lermish said:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1099812/thank-you-pcgs

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1100633/help-please

• Options

@lermish said:

@braddick said:

@lermish said:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1099812/thank-you-pcgs

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1100633/help-please

One more just because it is another Rick Snow bash.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1100340/rick-snow-recovery-fund

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see no reason to insult Mr. Snow just because you don't like his price or description.

• Options

@braddick said:
    Well, it appears I've been smeckeldorfed, bamboozled and hoodwinked.

Wow, you must be exhausted!

• Options

@Pnies20 said:

If the post is accurate, I’d guess that someone buying the 67+, mistakenly thinking it to be the highest graded, would care.

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KatanaPilot said:

I see what you did there... what you're really saying is, "that's Not good business ethics.."
    Shrewd.
    🤔

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Pnies20 said:

If the post is accurate, I’d guess that someone buying the 67+, mistakenly thinking it to be the highest graded, would care.

Yes. The point of the meme wasn’t that there aren’t any people that care about the top pop steel cents. Rather, the point was:

Stop making these threads bashing Mr. Snow. We know you’ve made like 8 alt accounts!!!

…. Yes mark I know the meme could’ve conveyed that better.

😝

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    epcepc Posts: 162 ✭✭✭✭

Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

• Options

No need to go far .
    You see it here sometimes in BST where a seller conveniently lists the sale price ( PCGS Auction Archives ) of a few examples that sold for high $ , but not the others that sold for much less than what he/she is selling their coin for .

Sometimes they will even uses outdated sales data ( PCGS auction archives ) , withholding current lower selling prices .
    SMH.

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2024 4:12PM

Removed - wrong thread. See MFeld's question below.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options

@ms71 said:
    Well, there go 40 minutes I'll never get back . . . . . . .

How did this thread cost you anywhere near that much time?🫢

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

'> @MFeld said:

@ms71 said:
    Well, there go 40 minutes I'll never get back . . . . . . .

How did this thread cost you anywhere near that much time?🫢

Oops. I thought I was posting to the "my 86 year old dad's Grant Star" thread.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe this coin and its ethics have been debated twice, at length, on this forum.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:
    I believe this coin and its ethics have been debated twice, at length, on this forum.

All good (?) rants come in threes…

• Options

@FlyingAl said:

Do you want us to just discuss numismatics?!?!?!?!

;)

• Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭

Another weirdly “off” weekend for our forum. Anyway, eating popcorn right now…and got plenty left! 😂

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Setting aside the OP's reputation, the the $17,500 asking price for the EERC coin and the $10,000 ebay sale for an MS67 (from 10/22) do seem to be significantly higher (by multiples of 5 to 8) than the current market prices for MS67 or MS67+ examples, based on PCGS price guide and other recent sales.

• Options
    MapsOnFireMapsOnFire Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

Hey! I'm not EJ. I don't know whether I can prove that statement unless you all will accept my beautiful wife's sworn (and witnessed) affidavit.
    Do I still get $50.?

• Options

@MapsOnFire said:
    Hey! I'm not EJ. I don't know whether I can prove that statement unless you all will accept my beautiful wife's sworn (and witnessed) affidavit.
    Do I still get $50.?

The wife is always the last to know...

• Options

@Connecticoin said:
    Setting aside the OP's reputation, the the $17,500 asking price for the EERC coin and the $10,000 ebay sale for an MS67 (from 10/22) do seem to be significantly higher (by multiples of 5 to 8) than the current market prices for MS67 or MS67+ examples, based on PCGS price guide and other recent sales.

It's a pretty thin market. But, that said, if you don't like the price then don't buy the coin. I'm not sure any more than that needs to be said. The OP simply has a problem with Rick Snow.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Connecticoin said:

It's a pretty thin market. But, that said, if you don't like the price then don't buy the coin. I'm not sure any more than that needs to be said. The OP simply has a problem with Rick Snow.

Understood. Plus anyone seeking such a coin probably knows the market.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file