Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:
    These are from $25 in cents, $80 in nickels, $250 in dimes, and $750 in quarters. The dimes and quarters were skunks, but the nickels had a 1944-P, and the cents had 14 wheats including a 1924 and a 1940-D, which is kind of a tough date/mm variety. The cent with the hole is curious, as it has a shamrock stamped on it.

The war nickel is actually quite colorful in hand.

The cent is probably a good luck charm to wear. Hence the hole for a necklace made from a chain or string.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    Here's a coin roll & mint set (no, proof set) find. I guess people break these sets open and try to spend these things. I found it in a customer wrapped roll. Not sure if they would go through a coin counting machine. I suppose someone could have mistaken it for a small dollar.

Well, you lost a dollar, but you gained, oh I really don't know. Good finds.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Vote for the unofficial king of CU: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1104284/vote-unofficial-king-of-cu#latest

• Options

@Fraz said:
    Countermark cents are back:

Those are very similar to the one that I posted above, except your shamrocks have stems. Where did you find those?

Vote for the unofficial king of CU: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1104284/vote-unofficial-king-of-cu#latest

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

They’re on eBay. Quite a selection, new and vintage.

• Options

@Fraz said:

You know, where would you buy a punch that is that powerful?

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 18,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:

@Fraz said:

Use a very heavy hammer

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

@JWP said:

@CRHer700 said:

@Fraz said:

Use a very heavy hammer

We call it a BFH here.

• Options

@JWP said:

@CRHer700 said:

@Fraz said:

Use a very heavy hammer

@Fraz said:

@JWP said:

@CRHer700 said:

@Fraz said:

Use a very heavy hammer

We call it a BFH here.

Wouldn’t such a small punch break under the pressure of the hammer?

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWP said:
    Just went thru 2 boxes of nickles and these are the 2-1943 P War Nickles that I found.

Nice obverse lamination crack on the 43 pictured on the right side of your photo.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2024 7:19PM

@OAKSTAR said:
    Here's a coin roll & mint set (no, proof set) find. I guess people break these sets open and try to spend these things. I found it in a customer wrapped roll. Not sure if they would go through a coin counting machine. I suppose someone could have mistaken it for a small dollar.

I went thru some customer rolls of quarters and found a Presidential dollar among the quarters. That $ made up for the quarters that they sorted in the roll.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWP - I've found some crazy stuff in rolls over the years. I once found a guitar pick in a bank wrapped roll of halves!! 😂 😉

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2024 6:09PM

@OAKSTAR said:
    @JWP - I've found some crazy stuff in rolls over the years. I once found a guitar pick in a bank wrapped roll of halves!! 😂 😉

Ever found a heavy washer that is EXACTLY the same size as a quarter? :p

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@ CRHer700
    Here is an example:

• Options
    edited February 22, 2024 10:44AM

@joeykoins said:
    This has a thread on its own.
    But, I didn't want to leave my CRHunting commerarades, in the dark.
    Today, I picked this bank cent box up.

When I realized it all contained Customer wrapped rolls. I DID want to return them.

Then, I decided to open a roll first.

BINGO! I am so glad I changed my mind!

In the first roll I checked, too!

Good job on that IHC! Customer rolls do happen occasionally in sealed boxes, but it is rare. I once had a half box that was half CWRs and half MWRs, and I once got a full box of my own dime rolls, that they had just resealed and sent back, but those are the only time that this has happened to me.

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting find, 1979S Type-1. 3.6M minted (combined with type-2

• Options
    edited February 24, 2024 7:29PM

@Fraz said:
    I search rolls every week. I don’t post much, because I don’t find many that are different from what you find. I learn a lot in this thread. Anyhow, I hadn’t found a W in over a year, one silver dime, a few IHCs, and just BUs and AUs that I sort and save.
    Yesterday I searched six quarter wraps, four dime wraps, and four nickel wraps. It was good:

Great job! Is the 2005-S Alaska Quarter a silver or a clad proof? Also, a Buffalo is great for only four rolls.

• Options

@CRHer700 said:

@Fraz said:

You found one W per eighty.

Great job! Is the 2005-S Alaska Quarter a silver or a clad proof? Also, a Buffalo is great for only four rolls.

It’s clad.

• Options

@Coinscratch is back people, make sure that you say hello!

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be chasing little white round balls later today with my boy...I would really like to bring a metal detector to some of these old courses, I just don't think that would go down very well :D
    maybe at night

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back @Coinscratch - soon as I get out of jail I'll do a shot with you! :D

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coinscratch;
    Hello 🖐👋🫂🖐👋

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@Steven59 said:
    Welcome back @Coinscratch - soon as I get out of jail I'll do a shot with you! :D

I can’t wait that long 😂

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    I'll be chasing little white round balls later today with my boy...I would really like to bring a metal detector to some of these old courses, I just don't think that would go down very well :D
    maybe at night

Stealth detector built into a golf bag cart.

• Options

@Fraz said:

@Coinscratch said:
    maybe at night

Stealth detector built into a golf bag cart.

Excuse me sir what are you doing over there…just filling my divot..damn gophers.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    I can’t wait that long 😂

Damn Barney, now that's down right mean.......................

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@Coinscratch said:
    I can’t wait that long 😂

Damn Barney, now that's down right mean.......................

Who even are you 😂 jail bird, lol.

It’s cool man I’m just playing around after all you were there for me In my time of sadness 👉🏿😂

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still getting mores S mints then W, 2nd one of the box, no W and only 8 roll to go...

• Options

These always startle me. I just found two, side by side, small date first, in a roll. It took just a second to see the zinc surface of the SD, and feel the weight of the LD. But, dang, I felt like Bill Gates’ wife for two nanosecond

• Options

@Fraz said:

How vintage do they have to be before they’re worth more than the cost of shipping? Asking because I have found several but would need to dig them up to find how vintage and what they are.

• Options
    edited February 26, 2024 3:53PM

I cannot locate that quote yet.
    It pretty much depends on my obsession. I have resolved that every piece that I buy costs five for shipping. I am adding five dollars to the value of every coin that ships— Inoculating my brain to not fret over shipping costs for owning something that is pretty. When I get to a show, every coin is five dollars cheaper.
    Each has his way to figure it out, none more numb than mine.

I’ll figure out that quote and edit an answer.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    __They say buy the coin not the holder. I say buy the coin worthy of the holder.

Will post any results later after dark when I can take decent pictures.

These could be Facebooks coins…

It should be legit. The packaging is just like what they used back 1978. I remember how easy these were to open versus the boxes from Fullment center these days. However, we did not have the theft problems then that we have today.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file