Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kurisu said:
    2 boxes of nickels.

A handful of 30's and 40's (nope, no Hennings)

And this one...

Apparently 1994 didn't get the message.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78 said:
    .> @emeraldATV said:

Found this 1992 Cent, no mm. The story goes like this. My teenage son works in the local coffee shop. Tipping is always welcomed. When it gets to some point to cash the coins in for bills, I always welcome the task, and he knows why. I'm his broker. This coin will be tested as in micro photo's. I never trust the strike image of the G in the FG. After a few photo's it passed phase one, which is the toughest phase as I don't want to wast time on just any of them. We'll see if she's a close one.

I also put aside some other goodies.

Close what? AM? No, not a close AM.

Wait for the micro photos.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    I may start selling them raw as well. This one looks 67 and 68 across the street. By the time I pay and wait then pay then wait again I might as well cut my loses and sell raw.

There seems to be a growing demand but very little supply for top notch raw moderns that probably aren't good enough to be pop tops or in the money. I believe people would rather pay 10 to $40 for a "maybe" that is definitely good than a similar amount for a graded coin that has been rejected by the services. It's scary to sell into this market after seeing some of the pop tops since these coins aren't always top notch.

Coins like choice Gem '78 half dollars are very tough no matter how you grade.

Finding true pop tops is really hard no matter how many coins you can search and you aren't going to get one in a roll of circs from the bank and probably not even if you can locate an entire crate of mint sets. Not only are the mint sets getting hard to find but many of the coins made for circulation are so far past their life expectancy they are getting hard to find.

Since this is my first post in this great thread I'll just add that I've been having a real hoot searching coins in circulation since 1957. Even during the leanest years (1965 to 1973) there was a steady parade of fascinating coins to be found. Circulating coinage is probably more fun to search now than at any time since the very early 19th century when nice coins of the new republic could still be found. The cost and effort to search and collect is a tiny fraction of what it was long ago. Imagine going to the bank and getting "rolls" of gold eagles on a railroad worker's pay!

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:
    ... I broke down and exchanged for a new full box of 50...

Good, now another, and another, and anoth- well you get my point. Happy hunting! :)

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same tip jar.

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

A box of dollars

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

What should I do with all these 2023 cents?

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2024 10:41AM

@CRHer700 said:

Are they from Philadelphia?
    If so, check for those Extra "V"'s!
    Sweet premiums!
    ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@joeykoins said:

@CRHer700 said:

Are they from Philadelphia?
    If so, check for those Extra "V"'s!
    Sweet premiums!
    ;)

How much of a premium? It is very hard for me to look through so many of the same thing without getting distracted. I went through 1 roll and nothing. Weekly pickup was today, so these will be a later project.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same tip box. Arn't ya glad I diddn't say jar.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

# 222W

2019W Memorial
    B)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

Check the mintmark on that 1953-D. It looks like it might be a late die state D/S.

• Options

Results from this week’s weekly pickup:$500 in halves and $250 in dimes were skunks. However, $300 in nickels were very good: two wars PLUS the last TWO Jeffersons that I needed for a full set: 1938-D & 1938-S!
    I now have found a complete set from circulation! 1938-S was the last one.

• Options
    edited January 19, 2024 8:42AM

I also finished my yearly report for 2023. My hunts included $73,228.83 translated to 781,883 coins in 364.2433 boxes. I bought 25.25457 troy ounces of silver for $48.45 at a price of $1.92 per troy ounce. This included 60 nickels, 91 U.S. dimes, 5 80% Canadian dimes, 1 50% Canadian dime, 7 quarters, 17 90% halves, and 51 40% halves for a total of 232 silver coins from circulation.(Also 4 dimes from coinstars, which are not included in the statistics). Please read all of my finds and statistics on the pictures below of my full report. It was a great year. :)

• Options

Someone say Jar?> @CRHer700 said:

I also finished my yearly report for 2023. My hunts included $73,228.83 translated to 781,883 coins in 364.2433 boxes. I bought 25.25457 troy ounces of silver for $48.45 at a price of $1.92 per troy ounce. This included 60 nickels, 91 U.S. dimes, 5 80% Canadian dimes, 1 50% Canadian dime, 7 quarters, 17 90% halves, and 51 40% halves for a total of 232 silver coins from circulation.(Also 4 dimes from coinstars, which are not included in the statistics). Please read all of my finds and statistics on the pictures below of my full report. It was a great year. :)

So you managed just less than a box a day, wasn't a leap year was it.
    That is Dedication with a capital D! Congrats and remember, that rare find is more likely to be handed to you in your change at the corner store.
    But not if you use a debit card 😉

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

That is Dedication with a capital D! Congrats and remember, that rare find is more likely to be handed to you in your change at the corner store.

I have only ever used my debit card once!

• Options

@CRHer700 said:

@Coinscratch said:

I have only ever used my debit card once!

YIKES! :D

• Options

• Options

I was at the bank today and yesterday, but I have not finished either hunt, so I will not report my finds yet. However, I wanted to show you what I got at the bank today and it isn’t coins or bills: 18 metal coin trays, all for free! The teller said that they had lost some, ordered more, then found the lost ones, so they had extras. 5 each of cents, nickels, and quarters, and 3 of dimes. These will be very useful to me. I had actually thought about buying some, but they are more expensive than I wanted to pay for. Now I got some for free!

• Options
    silviosisilviosi Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

Eccept only one coin here Coinscratch 1973 I do not see nothing here. My conclusion: Why loose my time with rolls???

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:

Mister Coinscratch, I’d like to say, that even though my roll searching is sporadic and my postings to this thread are sparse, I do appreciate your photography and believe it to be exceptional in quality!
    Nice job sir! And, very much appreciated!! (from a former professional photographer way back in the days of film).

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    edited January 20, 2024 10:12PM

@nwcoast said:

@Coinscratch said:

Mister Coinscratch, I’d like to say, that even though my roll searching is sporadic and my postings to this thread are sparse, I do appreciate your photography and believe it to be exceptional in quality!
    Nice job sir! And, very much appreciated!! (from a former professional photographer way back in the days of film).

Really! Why thank you sir, I’m only a beginner/amateur but one thing I’ve learned is the better the coin the easier the shoot.

I picked that one up today at the antique show in Round Top Texas.
    See the blue holder top left.

• Options

@silviosi said:

Eccept only one coin here Coinscratch 1973 I do not see nothing here. My conclusion: Why loose my time with rolls???

I’ve already searched every roll in 100 mile radius and the search is proving futile. If it isn’t profitable or at least gorgeous I lose interest quickly.

• Options
    edited January 20, 2024 10:26PM

@ nwcoast

I hope you has a big one on this. EX: 1971 D quarter on type H, RDV-008 find only in sets will pay your day is sell on 65-66 5000$. Also other years also.

Hope was a good deal. I can not see all years to appreciate or give indications. Also 73 and 74 could be winner sets.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

• Options
    edited January 20, 2024 10:35PM

@ Coinscratch

Do not loose the interest, could be find. But those search to day has few lovers. PM me and I can give a source to have Mint bags unopened. This it is the big challenge, I remember go with Ken, Stan or Herb to Mint and have bags to look on 10 max 12 deg celsius somewhere down in the earth and four armed security watch us.

• Options

@silviosi never losing interest completely. there’s a time and place for everything I just need to be at the right place at the right time.

• Options

100% with you. In this period of year normally I will be on many shows. I will stay on minus 10-20 deg. for the health of my wife.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found in a customer wrapped roll: Unfortunetly this is a very damaged coin so I will not be keeping it. The reverse is all scraped up.
    a "berty" cent:

Found in a wheat cent bag:
    A 1951-D RPM
    I am unable to determine which RPM this is.

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

My last full box yielded nothing, no silver, no W's, No S's, nada,..

• Options

@Icollecteverything said:
    How about a 5 gallon glass water cooler bottle filled with pennies? The bookkeeper where I worked knew i was a collector and about 1984 told me she had started filling it about 10 years before and topped it off a couple years ago at that time. Sure enough, there were a few 1982's on the top and the newest coins on the very bottom were some red 1973's.

I think there were about 250 rolls in that bottle and at first it was not too interesting. I got around 12 rolls of wheaties but the big prize was a 1911-S cent near the bottom with absolutely no problems and nice color that I graded VF-35 that I sold raw for near xf money.

Since the mint had started phasing out copper I thought that someday the coppers might be worth something someday. So when I was sorting them I separated out anything before 1973 that appeared to be AU. I made around 30 rolls of this carp mostly 1968 to 1972 and have been lugging them around for about 40 years and they are still not worth anything. :D

I would love to get my hands on something like that (not the bookkeeper) the jar of pennies stay focused here. :D

• Options

Some of the jazz set for the next order. Need to find some better stuff though... .... ......

• Options
    edited January 24, 2024 8:42PM

• Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file