Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    MtW124MtW124 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭

Just picked these up and am starting to go through them. I haven’t searched halves in a year or so. Ordered a box of dollars for next weeks pick up. I had a lot of fun with those last week.

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Taken with my microscope, hard to get the lighting just right...

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2023 7:33PM

Nice CUD!! Wish there had been less scratches.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2023 6:13PM

I have been behind on my posting, but I shall now post last week’s weekly pickup results. They were pretty good considering the nickels were almost all 2023-P.
    There is no weekly pickup this week because they ordered early.
    $300 in Nickels:

$500 in dimes:

$500 in halves, yellow flat box:

The 1987-D is my first, and until next year, I have found the entire circulation and NIFC Kennedy series except 1970-D. Also, check out where the V nickel was: the entire roll was 2023-P except it.

Kind of amazing that one coin was 124 years older than all the rest.
    P.S. I did pick up other coins this week, and will post when I am finished. :)

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:
    I have been behind on my posting, but I shall now post last week’s weekly pickup results. They were pretty good considering the nickels were almost all 2023-P.
    $300 in Nickels:

$500 in dimes:

The 1987-D is my first, and until next year, I have found the entire circulation and NIFC Kennedy series except 1970-D. Also, check out where the V nickel was: the entire roll was 2023-P except it. Kind of amazing that one coin was 124 years older than all the rest.

Pretty standard looking for a typical hunt, okay except for the 1899. You don't see that everyday.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

@CRHer700 said:
    $300 in Nickels:

$500 in dimes:

The 1987-D is my first, and until next year, I have found the entire circulation and NIFC Kennedy series except 1970-D. Also, check out where the V nickel was: the entire roll was 2023-P except it. Kind of amazing that one coin was 124 years older than all the rest.

Pretty standard looking for a typical hunt, okay except for the 1899. You don't see that everyday.

The 1899 is my 6th V nickel, and the Canadian dime is my fourth 80%er, kind of unusual for me.

• Options
    edited January 2, 2024 7:06AM

Report: Last 3 hunts of 2023: Hunt 1: $400 in quarters: 1957-D, No. 15 W, a 2020 Tallgrass Prairie , $350 in dollars: Skunk; Hunt 2: $50 in cents: 21 wheats, 8 Canadians, $400 in nickels: 1920 buffalo, 2 Canadians, $500 in dimes: 1 1956, 2 1964-Ds, 1964 Canadian, 1973-S proof; Hunt 3: $100 in nickels: skunk, $250 in dimes: skunk, and $200 in quarters: skunk.
    Sorry, no pics right now. Lots of skunks.

• Options

Lets post our goals for 2024. Mine are to search $100,000 and 1 million coins, as well as 1500 wheats, 3 IHCs, 5 V nickels, 100 buffaloes, 100 wars, 200 silver dimes, 10 silver quarters, 50 Ws, 50 silver halves, ten Ikes, 1 silver dollar, and some other silver to reach 500 silver coins. I like to set high goals because it gives me more motivation to meet them.

• Options

@CRHer700 said:
    Lets post our goals for 2024. Mine are to search $100,000 and 1 million coins, as well as 1500 wheats, 3 IHCs, 5 V nickels, 100 buffaloes, 100 wars, 200 silver dimes, 10 silver quarters, 50 Ws, 50 silver halves, ten Ikes, 1 silver dollar, and some other silver to reach 500 silver coins. I like to set high goals because it gives me more motivation to meet them.

That's cool my friend. I would like to have a submission AN ORDER! (thank you:) come back worth around 100K.
    That would be 2 or 3 Ikes worth 30K each and several Kennedys. Turning copper to gold is almost like being a small time carpenter a couple thousand years ago ;)

• Options

Here are some pics to go with the last post.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2024 8:43AM

Delete, sorry

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2024 8:42AM

@CRHer700 said:
    Here are some pics...

That 57, looks to have a cool strike through, left of the date?
    B)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:
    Is anyone searching 2023 P Lincoln cents for the extra V on Lincoln shoulder? Let us know if you find one. I am in CA so I do not get many Philly minted cents.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/K0FRst7dftY

Found this photo taken a year ago (?) .
    The letter v makes it's appearance south, below the bust of Lincoln. on a 1969 cent.
    The coin is still here and on my list of things to do.
    Just FYI.

• Options
    Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@Coin_nut1977
    Very nice cud indeed! I have only found a small handful in my 12 years of roll searching. That one is significant enough to not miss with the naked eye for certain. Great find.

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2024 5:17PM

Clearly I'm having some @joeykoins kind of luck this week :smiley:

Had to go back to the credit union today after that excellent box I posted above...
    Got the usual 10 roll limit of halves today...and got yet another Franklin!

Then went to Chase and got a full box of customer rolled quarters.
    I've gone through only 5 of those rolls so far and got a beautiful condition W!

Then went to another Chase and got 11 rolls of customer rolled small dollars.
    And FINALLY!!! A nice condition wide rim!!! After searching since the SBA's came out!
    Found my first ever wide rim earlier last year and it was basically a parking lot coin so I was genuinely excited about this find.
    Also got an "American Indians in the space program", depicting Mary G. Ross and John Herrington that doesn't show up much at all and a lovely toner.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@Kurisu I will have to order a box of halves next week! :D

• Options

Coin roll finds.

What ?

• Options
    edited January 9, 2024 7:49AM

@emeraldATV said:
    Coin roll finds.
    What ?

This was in a roll last night...happy to send it to you if you'd like @emeraldATV :wink:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

Dear @Kurisu,
    I see Lincoln in the first photo, with it's date. I think the date can only be viewed by the holder, meaning I see it, at about 60%
    or 40 % of it. there should be other indicators (images) using a, very, wide range of openness.
    I do have one close to it's damage, with the strikes shouting out, why(?). (2003 ? )
    I also just pulled another one out, with very, very, questionable dates struck at random .
    This one will take time as I want to be clear with my thoughts. You could say it's in "provenance" (the beginning of something's existence; something's origin).
    So, What's the date ?

• Options

@Joe_360 said:

@Kliao said:
    Decided to stop by my bank today and got $200 in halves. First silver of 2024!

Congratulations! Free silver is the best!!!

Wow, more great halves! I can't wait for mine next week.

• Options
    edited January 12, 2024 7:52PM

This weeks weekly pickup:$200 in Loomis nickels, kind of scant:

Also a very nice Unc. 1940:

$750 in dimes, also scant:

This one about gave me a heart attack because of anger until I realised that it was an extra in the roll. Weight is literally 0.25g, so the rolling machine didn’t count it. Made of plastic and twice as thick as a normal dime.

Trying halves next week because everyone else is having good finds, and because of general scantiness on the parts of dimes and nickels.

• Options
    edited January 14, 2024 6:46PM

Hunt Nos. 2&3 contained $5 in skunk cents (Edit: Not vents), $20 in skunk nickels, $300 in skunk dimes, $600 in quarters that produced a 2020-W NP and a 2015-P DDR.

Also, the lot of foreigns:

• Options

Pocket change last night.

• Options

@rec78 said:
    The end of quarter coin roll searching. The time has come for me to discontinue coin roll searching quarters. I will keep on searching Lincoln cents perhaps even until the end of my days. I have stopped ordering quarters from the federal reserve as of Jan.3 after almost 3 years. Half dollars also. It has been a fun ride. Here are my latest quarter finds:
    "W"'s no 69+70

I love finding those old "Silver" Balboa's.
    B)

• Options

@rec78 said:
    The end of quarter coin roll searching. The time has come for me to discontinue coin roll searching quarters. I will keep on searching Lincoln cents perhaps even until the end of my days. I have stopped ordering quarters from the federal reserve as of Jan.3 after almost 3 years. Half dollars also. It has been a fun ride. Here are my latest quarter finds:
    "W"'s no 69+70

I'm with you on moving away from quarters, time verses reward is getting too wide and the quality is falling off.

Lincoln's are always fun, you never know what you may find... Rock on friend!!

• Options
    edited January 13, 2024 11:20AM

Got through my first box of Jefferson this morning of the two boxes of I picked up at my bank on Thursday. I think this is an 1957D RPM. It’s pretty beat up though. This one also looks like it has a Clash on Jefferson’s cheek. It almost looks like the top of the torch of a Rosie Dime.

• Options
    edited January 13, 2024 5:23PM

@MtW124 said:
    Got through my first box of Jefferson this morning of the two boxes of I picked up at my bank on Thursday. I think this is an 1957D RPM. It’s pretty beat up though. This one also looks like it has a Clash on Jefferson’s cheek. It almost looks like the top of the torch of a Rosie Dime.

Nope sorry.
    http://www.varietyvista.com/05 JN RPMs/RPMs 1957D.htm
    No clash either.

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    silviosisilviosi Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

Poseidon89 Posts: wrote July 26, 2020 9:08PM
    The coin shortage continues to frustrate, but I was able to scrounge up $80 in Qs from a few banks. I was looking for a W, but found this instead. I’ll take it!

With such small volume I was shocked to find any silver.

I like your Type B 1961 Quarter roll find

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

• Options

I may start selling them raw as well. This one looks 67 and 68 across the street. By the time I pay and wait then pay then wait again I might as well cut my loses and sell raw.

• Options

@rec78 said:
    "W"'s no 69+70

Nnnnnoooooooooo! :'(:(

@Joe_360 said:

@rec78 said:
    "W"'s no 69+70

I'm with you on moving away from quarters, time verses reward is getting too wide and the quality is falling off.

Nnnnnooooooooo! :'(
    Don’t stop now, you never know what might be in that very next box! :#

• Options

@CRHer700 said:

@rec78 said:
    "W"'s no 69+70

@Joe_360 said:

@rec78 said:
    "W"'s no 69+70

There's a guaranteed $500 in every box :D

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

@CRHer700 said:

@rec78 said:
    "W"'s no 69+70

@Joe_360 said:

@rec78 said:
    "W"'s no 69+70

There's a guaranteed $500 in every box :D

How true :|

• Options
    edited January 14, 2024 7:53PM

Hunt No.4 for last week:$45 in cents, $60 in Nickels, $280 in dimes, and $200 in quarters resulted in:

W is No. 17

• Options
    edited January 14, 2024 10:32PM

Found this 1992 Cent, no mm. The story goes like this. My teenage son works in the local coffee shop. Tipping is always welcomed. When it gets to some point to cash the coins in for bills, I always welcome the task, and he knows why. I'm his broker. This coin will be tested as in micro photo's. I never trust the strike image of the G in the FG. After a few photo's it passed phase one, which is the toughest phase as I don't want to wast time on just any of them. We'll see if she's a close one.

I also put aside some other goodies.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

.> @emeraldATV said:

Found this 1992 Cent, no mm. The story goes like this. My teenage son works in the local coffee shop. Tipping is always welcomed. When it gets to some point to cash the coins in for bills, I always welcome the task, and he knows why. I'm his broker. This coin will be tested as in micro photo's. I never trust the strike image of the G in the FG. After a few photo's it passed phase one, which is the toughest phase as I don't want to wast time on just any of them. We'll see if she's a close one.

I also put aside some other goodies.

Close what? AM? No, not a close AM.

• Options

Last two finds, one each from separate full boxes (1 W per 50 rolls) The 2020 SRB has a lot of Obverse scratches, the 2019 American Memorial is very nice looking coin... I broke down and exchanged for a new full box of 50...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file