Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA Holiday Special Reveals (NOW with @RonSportscards drama!)

Comments

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2023 6:07PM

Never mind - was guessing that a pack special was next but Wheaties beat me to it :)

Jim

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still hoping for specials on Supersize holder items. Pricing on those has been noticeably very out of proportion relative to the tallboy and standard size items for a long time now.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 816 ✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    @RonSportscards

See the response above.

I don't need to be directed what to read. I'm quite capable.
    Do everyone a favor and stop obsessing over me. It's not a good look for you.

• Options
    edited November 27, 2023 8:55PM

@maysmantle said:
    We are fixing this. You will be able to submit a mix of 80s and 90s under one submission. Should be resolved later this evening.

Thanks. I only had a couple of 90s cards, so it's nice to get them in with the 80s cards.

I have a mix of 80s and 90s tallboys that are looking for special. Hint hint.

• Options

Are you saying the 1978 Ryan was recently graded? How did that card receive an 8? The bottom left corner alone should keep the card lower than an 8 plus there's wear on all four corners. Am I wrong?

• Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

@Yankees70 said:
    Are you saying the 1978 Ryan was recently graded? How did that card receive an 8? The bottom left corner alone should keep the card lower than an 8 plus there's wear on all four corners. Am I wrong?

Not to mention fish eyes, not so good edges, etc...had I graded that card, I'm guessing I would have assigned it a 6 at best, and we can't even see the back

• Options

My 70s Special arrived at PSA on 11/23. It has been processed and is currently in grading, giving an estimated return date of 3/4/24. Ouch. Considerably more than the estimated 50 day turn around.

• Options

https://d1htnxwo4o0jhw.cloudfront.net/cert/150315543/small/Or8G8bkuAkK08KjXf6xNPg.jpg

They are killing me on my grades...I will give you three examples...very sharp corners etc

• Options

https://d1htnxwo4o0jhw.cloudfront.net/cert/150315544/small/GNwiyH42CE-vpAfA7jUwNg.jpg

This one really hurts. I thought it was at least an 8 or even a 9!

• Options

The backs on all of the three above are well centered with no issues.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:
    My 70s Special arrived at PSA on 11/23. It has been processed and is currently in grading, giving an estimated return date of 3/4/24. Ouch. Considerably more than the estimated 50 day turn around.

Yeah. My 60s Special from earlier this year is showing a completion Estimate on December 27th. That would be a week from 120 days...

Not impressive at all. It's a good thing I'm not sending these in for a business I run. Those kinds of turnarounds would anger me if I was.

• Options

Wow PSA really screwed you over with those grades. Do you see any surface issues?

• Options

100% sure no surface issues. I don't know what to do....I've held on to these cards for 50 years and I finally decided now is the time to submit as I'm getting things in order to pass down to my kids etc. I've been looking at PSA for numerous years and I'm afraid, I dove into the PSA grading at the worse time possible as they have majorily changed their standards. I don't want to try and take them out of the slabs and submit to another grading service....but!

• Options

@12ydpunt said:
    100% sure no surface issues. I don't know what to do....I've held on to these cards for 50 years and I finally decided now is the time to submit as I'm getting things in order to pass down to my kids etc. I've been looking at PSA for numerous years and I'm afraid, I dove into the PSA grading at the worse time possible as they have majorily changed their standards. I don't want to try and take them out of the slabs and submit to another grading service....but!

How do you know the standards have changed if you just started grading with PSA?

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

PSA 4 on cards with that eye appeal usually mean a crease or surface wrinkle you missed. The pics you posted aren't high resolution enough for anyone to give you an opinion. Also, post pics of the backs.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2023 2:01AM

@12ydpunt said:
    https://d1htnxwo4o0jhw.cloudfront.net/cert/150315544/small/GNwiyH42CE-vpAfA7jUwNg.jpg

You must have been high when you were self-grading these!!! :p

Right-Click to see full size image with corner-wear!

• Options

The Fact they gave you a PSA 10 on this Tony Gwynn Rookie with that slightly touched top right corner should shut you up about the other cards!! hehe

• Options

Good feedback guys, I was not high...maybe the eyes are not as good as magnify glasses. I'm just comparing to thousands of cards I've seen graded that look a lot worse then the ones I provided above.

• Options

The fact that Gwynn got a 10 gives me hope that PSA has realized the standards have been insanely strict on vintage for the past year and have adjusted.

I'm not mad it got a 10, and it's a beautiful card. The centering is impeccable, and I'm a big centering guy.

With the corners and centering on that Clemente I think the grade is proper. It's still a beautiful card, and the colors on the back is wonderful.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

looking at the enlarged image on the Clemente, I would think it is accurately graded.

It is impossible for us to accurately assess cards via computer monitor. we are unable to see the surfaces.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@BBBrkrr said:
    The fact that Gwynn got a 10 gives me hope that PSA has realized the standards have been insanely strict on vintage for the past year and have adjusted.

I'm not mad it got a 10, and it's a beautiful card. The centering is impeccable, and I'm a big centering guy.

Well, I am. What does that mean for my 8s and 9s with 4 actual sharp corners, sitting in my closet that I had the misfortune of submitting just a few months prior.
    And of course you're not mad because you just went all in with your 70s sub.

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

I agree with Gregg44. The corners make it a 6 and the centering gives it a bump.

• Options

@RonSportscards said:

@BBBrkrr said:

Well, I am. What does that mean for my 8s and 9s with 4 actual sharp corners, sitting in my closet that I had the misfortune of submitting just a few months prior.
    And of course you're not mad because you just went all in with your 70s sub.

Ha! Nice call.

That Gwynn doesn't help me, but I will be absolutely happy if things are loosening since I just sent a bunch of 70s in for grading. I was going to send a bunch of 80s, but held back. They'll go later this year though.

I'm finishing my grading this year on everything I've been setting aside, because I'm seriously considering selling my entire PC in 2024.

• Options
    edited December 12, 2023 6:16AM

New Special - Funko Pop $4.01 off

Edited: I had it as $5 off

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

5 bucks off Funko, thats huge

• Options

I'm assuming that the last three holiday specials will be, in no particular order:

Auto+Card PSA/DNA

Supersize Holder

1949 & earlier

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never quite got the Funko Pop thing. glad some people get enjoyment out of them.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:
    The Fact they gave you a PSA 10 on this Tony Gwynn Rookie with that slightly touched top right corner should shut you up about the other cards!! hehe

When I see cards like this I like to think that the card came in as a PSA 10 and somehow got dinged but the grader did not take it out on the submitter.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:

Wow. Is that the same timeframe if I sub under the normal rates? This changes the math if I want to use one of the specials. A few dollars more to regular rates and timing maybe worth it for me. I don't have huge pile to sub,

Mike
  • Options

@ndleo said:

@RonSportscards said:

Wow. Is that the same timeframe if I sub under the normal rates? This changes the math if I want to use one of the specials. A few dollars more to regular rates and timing maybe worth it for me. I don't have huge pile to sub,

Nicely, I had an order hit Grading yesterday that arrived December 4, and their estimate shows return Feb 19.

Weirdly, I had one also arrive on Nov 28 that's still in Research and not in Grading yet but estimated to return Feb 14.

I take it all with a grain of salt since a 60s Special has been there since Sept 5 and still not back to me. That one will easily hit 100 days.

• Options

Hey guys, I need a little help here. What grade do you think this Aaron would receive? A PSA 3? Crease at bottom...is pretty big, but card otherwise is pretty nice. thanks in advance for your comments.

cid:24A6A08D-7CFC-4486-93E6-E7D020D52885

• Options

54aaronb734.jpg

• Options

• Options

image2.jpeg

• Options

• Options

@ndleo said:

@RonSportscards said:

My 80s Special just logged in and is giving a 2/26 estimated return date.
    So compared to the 70s Special, thats an arrival of 3 weeks later and 1 week earlier return.
    It suggests there are fewer graders handling 70s than 80s.

• Options

• Options
    johfrjohfr Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

Hoping for some great specials next week since they still show they have two left to go.

• Options

I've got a sub ready for Pokemon oversize/jumbos - fingers crossed!

• Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:

@12ydpunt said:

You must have been high when you were self-grading these!!! :p

Right-Click to see full size image with corner-wear!

Man, you must be new to grading....those corners are brutal. You are lucky you got the grade that you did. With no other issues, I grade that card PSA 5.5. Corners are chipped and slight rounding on some of the corners. I would have been pretty satisfied with the grade you received.

chaz

• Options

@miwlvrn said:
    I'm assuming that the last three holiday specials will be, in no particular order:

Auto+Card PSA/DNA

Supersize Holder

1949 & earlier

The dual service special was a pretty safe bet, and I'm pretty sure the next two will be these, Supersize and also '49 and earlier. However, thought of another one that I think would be popular and would be nice to see, but I think it's chances are much lower of a probability: a special that includes a significant discount on reviews, crossovers and reholders.

• Options

I'd be up for a lower oversized card special, although if they are only going to lower it from $75 to $70, it won't matter...a special should be $50 to $55 per card...I have a good number of nice Sportscaster cards I could submit...I am guessing that not many oversized cards get submitted these days when it is $75 per...that leaves no margin for error

• Options

@Kepper19 said:
    I'd be up for a lower oversized card special, although if they are only going to lower it from $75 to $70, it won't matter...a special should be $50 to $55 per card...I have a good number of nice Sportscaster cards I could submit...I am guessing that not many oversized cards get submitted these days when it is $75 per...that leaves no margin for error

$50-55? Are you crazy?
    How about $20?

• Options

@RonSportscards said:

@Kepper19 said:

$50-55? Are you crazy?
    How about $20?

Why not just submit them for $40, and if they are worth a lot, take the up-charge to $75?

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:

@RonSportscards said:

@Kepper19 said:

$50-55? Are you crazy?
    How about $20?

Why not just submit them for $40, and if they are worth a lot, take the up-charge to $75?

Because I don't want to pay $40 either. LOL
    I assume you're referring to the value sub?

I don't think I can come up with 20 items pre or post 1980 for the value sub. Maybe combining all years.
    And they're definitely not worth more than the $499. They're probably more in the $5-20 range.
    Interesting to me mostly, oddball low pop stuff, but not especially in high demand or valuable.
    Still would like my stuff slabbed though.

I showed this before, and I have a few raw, but it's tough to pay $75, even $40, (or $20 for that matter) for a card that sells for $5.50.

• Options
    edited December 22, 2023 11:59PM

@RonSportscards said:

I don't think I can come up with 20 items pre or post 1980 for the value sub. Maybe combining all years.
    And they're definitely not worth more than the $499. They're probably more in the $5-20 range.

I think you are confusing Value sub with Value BULK sub.... A Value Sub has no minimum, you can just send in a single card and pay $40 for a jumbo!