Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Greatest/Rarest Finds In The Wild?

13»

Comments

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭

I have never had a rare coin in the wild find but I can relate to your cleaning story Arkie. I was quite young when my grandmother gave me half a dozen low grade Indian cents. I thought they looked a little dirty so I cleaned them up with some baking soda and water. Of course they turned the most horrid color of orange in the world. live and learn. James

• Options
    ArkieArkie Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

@seatedlib3991 said:
    Of course they turned the most horrid color of orange in the world. live and learn. James

I think I know the color you mention... I call it sweet potato orange.

Every now and then I find an Indian in bad shape while metal detecting and use it for my little dipping experiments, like what dissolves tar, clays, etc. on copper coins and how long each takes so that they can be identified at least before it really goes sideways ("oh crap! there was an S under the wreath of that Indian I just turned baked sweet potato orange!") Every now and then there's a cent that reacts differently than most and it goes sweet potato orange within seconds with certain chemicals. I'm not sure if its environmental or if the metallurgy of those coins was inconsistent or what... but I've come to the realization that NO chemical dip (not even the ones that people claim are mostly benign/non-surface destructing) has reliable results.

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

@Tomthemailcarrier said:
    Back in the 1960’s when I was about 10 years old I found a tin box in my grandmother’s attic that contained an 1814 & 1834 half dollar, two 3 cent pieces from the 1860’s and a 1907 Indian head cent.

What condition (roughly)?

• Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

These threads are what make this forum great. So many amazing stories!

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2023 10:39AM

Not mine but my uncle found a 1$ bill from 1967 up here in Canada with the print of the back on the front over the normal side and the back also just had the regular back. Value about 1000$. I remember him showing it to me back in the 1980's.

As for me nothing. Came up close to have some good serial numbers (1 digit always wrong in the sequence) but that was it.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2023 6:40PM

• Options
    TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CalifornianKing said:

@Tomthemailcarrier said:
    Back in the 1960’s when I was about 10 years old I found a tin box in my grandmother’s attic that contained an 1814 & 1834 half dollar, two 3 cent pieces from the 1860’s and a 1907 Indian head cent.

What condition (roughly)?

The halves were about EF 40. I still have the 3 cent pieces.

• Options
    CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once in 1962 I bought a roll of dimes from the change lady at the Skaggs Drug Store in Reno and they were all silver. I paid with four Morgans and one Peace Dollar that I earned from mowing lawns.

CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CCDollar said:
    Once in 1962 I bought a roll of dimes from the change lady at the Skaggs Drug Store in Reno and they were all silver. I paid with four Morgans and one Peace Dollar that I earned from mowing lawns.

CC

in 1962 all the dies were silver.

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

So my sister worked at a CVS drugstore in the’80’s and one day a woman came in and asked for a 5 dollar bill for a roll of dimes. She made the change and as she was putting the dimes in the register to her surprise- all Mercury dimes. I ended up with them.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jfriedm56 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jfriedm56 said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    A silver center cent walked into the LCS about 18 years ago. It had been in the family for 200+ years.

Heard this story about 15 years ago when talking to a local coin dealer. He said the family was local-Rochester, New York.

Yes. Correct.

I believe it was the Wolcott family. He was a signer of the Declaration of Independence who settled just east of Rochester.

The dealer guided them to the ANA which I think was in Pittsburgh that year (about 5 hour drive). They sold it with the year at auction. The dealer still had the auction catalog that was gifted to them by the family.

Thanks for the additional information. I believe there was an article in Coin World magazine written about this story too.

See the Goldberg's description at https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/auctionlots?AucCoId=7&AuctionId=486&page=100

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Arkie's story reminded me that as a kid about 8-9 years old, I found an AU+ 1876-S dime sitting in 6 inches of water at the edge of a pond. I spotted a round disc, cleaned off a fine layer of silt, and it turned out to be a lustrous, though stained, seated dime. Being a dumb kid, I tried polishing the stain off a bit. It's now in my 7070.

I've put in a few hundred hours metal detecting, but the most valuable find that was truly "in the wild" was this 1876-S dime spotted along the edge of a lake. I suspect it was washed into the lake when the bank collapsed. I've always wanted to walk around a large recreational lake with a metal detector, sweeping along undercut banks. I occasionally look for round discs on the silty bottom along the edge of lakes as a result of that find.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭✭

Within the past year I have found the following: 1890, 1896, 1898, and 1905 IHCs, an 1871 shield nickel (low mintage), 1884, 1887, 1902, and 1905×2 V nickels, a 1911-D barber dime, and an assorted 220 or so silver coins. There is a lot more than you think circulating.

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2023 12:46PM

Fun histories shared so far.
    The @Dave99B one reminded me of an incident of mine from years back.
    Back in the late 1970’s, I was working on a crew remodeling a lavish but run down old Victorian house in downtown old Salinas.
    Upon ripping out some old carpet to go back to the wood floors, I spotted a bright red 1909 Lincoln cent that looked as fresh as the day it was minted. I wasn’t collecting coins at that point in my life and passed it along to a younger crew worker who showed some interest in it. The poor kid got lead poisoning on that job from dry sanding the painted kitchen cabinets without any protection/masks. His dentist actually diagnosed it from a dark line which appeared on the lower margins of his gums.
    Crazy times!

Edited to add: I know it’s not a particularly stellar or rare find, but an interesting history nonetheless.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the late Seventies I started collecting coins and my Grandmother had a friend that had 92 Wheat pennies in a jar and Grandma bought them for $1.00. She was so concerned that she over paid for the coins. We went through them and found a 1924-D in XF. At the time the coin was worth a couple bucks. Not a huge score, but Grandma was relieved that she did not over pay for the coins.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TennesseeDave said:
    In 2009, I bought the following coin off Ebay in a buy it now listing for $235. It graded MS-62 Chopmark and was tied for the finest 73-P chopmark T$ with a population of 2.

>

That is absolutely astounding. Great coin and great find. In terms of scarce finds, this has to be WAY up the list. In my 2-3yrs collecting chopped T$s I have seen two 73-Ps for sale total, one horribly polished XF and a cleaned VF. I bought them both and for multiples of your price.

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭

My friend Paul is 86. He created his collection of Morgans by going to the bank in the 1950's and early 1960's. His collection had an 1892-cc that both a reputable dealer and myself evaluated as an MS-62.

Paul also found an 1889-cc EF cleaned at around the same time.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2023 11:38AM

1900 O/CC Morgan at local coin club show. Marked as AU unattributed. I believed the coin MS all day long. They were asking $30 and I offered $25 which was accepted. I sent in and graded MS64 with attribution.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭

It's not uncommon to find old coin boards with coins still in them. Although I rarely bid on these, I do occasionally find a rare board that I want/need with coins which then requires me to bite the bullet. These coins are almost always nothing special, but I did get a 1921-P Mercury dime (F-12), a 1912-D Liberty Nickel (VF-30), and a 1928-D Buffalo Nickel (MS64) that more than paid for my troubles.

When I was a kid in elementary school, a casual friend of mine brought an 1865 2-cent piece to school one day. I bought it from him for $4 which was a small fortune for me at the time. The coin graded XF as I recall.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2023 2:35PM

@AUandAG said:
    My best was a group of 3 Morgan dollars I got off ebay for under $800. Early in 2014. One of the three was a 1888-o Scarface that I had PCGS grade: MS63. Sold on Great Collections shortly thereafter for $10,005. It was from a seller in Portland, OR, that appeared to have a brick and mortar "collectibles" store.
    bob :)
    vegas baby!
    https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/184550/1888-O-Morgan-Silver-Dollar-Scar-Face-PCGS-MS-63-CAC

Interesting price since your ex: Scarface isn't the final stage ie the rarest. You got to love that variety and yours was clean and in high grade. Check out Californiaking further up this page for a ms61 pcgs latest stage die crack as an example of what I am describing. You did GOOD

• Options

OK even my friends are having a tough time believing this one - I will try to add pics tomorrow. I picked up two old Whitman Lincoln Cent albums from a local Craig's list post only to discover (later when I looked at them) a 37-s and 1922 No Date. They've been verified they are real, however the 37-s has been cleaned. I had the same thing around the same time happen with a 1914-d but alerted the seller when I saw it who decided to keep it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file