Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Greatest/Rarest Finds In The Wild?

Comments

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭✭✭

@privatecoin said:
    My best is still a 1964 pr67dcam kennedy accented hair. Out of a 30$ proof set.

Picture please?

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2023 3:24PM

The best I have found was a roll of cents that my grandmother gave me. The roll was all Indian Head Cents and the best one in there was a 1909-S in extremely fine condition, back before TPGs. I asked a local coin shop at the time and that was the grade. I was still a teenager and knew even less than I do now. Unfortunately there was no 1877, but quite a few from the 19th Century.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jobessi said:
    Found this beauty (I zoomed in on the pic) amongst a bulk lots of SLQ's and Silver halves. I know it's hard to tell from the seller pic, but ended up being what I thought it was. A 1916 SLQ! The coin has since been sold, but I'll try and fins the one I took of it.

@IkesT said:
    That is very clearly a 1917. The honest thing to do would be to give the buyer their money back.

To add to my previous comment, the 1916 and 1917 Type 1 Standing Liberty quarters have different obverse designs, so an experienced person (including many here on the Forum) can easily and reliably identify 1916 and 1917 quarters even when the dates are worn off.

The strong rivets in the shield serve as one of the useful pickup points for the 1917 Type 1 design (see red arrow on the photo above). Of course, there are many other pickup points for this design, which I will be happy to point out in further detail.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cherrypicked the first ever identified Mint State 1941 DDO Mercury Dime. I bought it raw for $50 (because of attractive toning) in a 2x2 from a dealer's table at Winter FUN. I ended up getting it graded MS65 and Attributed as FS-101 at PCGS. Not too long after that, I sold it via Great Collections for about $2,000. I have done similar things like this a few times.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

22 no D in an eBay album for right around $100 +/-

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ownerofawheatiehorde said:
    I remember a story of Us gold 2.5 in a box of world coins. There was an auction, and you were allowed to sift through the coins before bidding. My friend and one other guy had saw it, and started having a bidding war. Unfortunately, he lost but imagine the auctioneer’s face when it sold! :D

Same situation. Different result. My friend spotted and scored two quarter ounce early 20th century foreign gold coins in a similar box of world coins for about $50. Nobody recognized them as gold. It was fun to watch.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

@Jobessi said:
    Found this beauty (I zoomed in on the pic) amongst a bulk lots of SLQ's and Silver halves. I know it's hard to tell from the seller pic, but ended up being what I thought it was. A 1916 SLQ! The coin has since been sold, but I'll try and fins the one I took of it.

Here's another pickup point that shows the quarter is a 1917 Type 1 and not a 1916: the conspicuous incuse inner borders of the wall panels (see red arrow above). Quite a difference in price between a 1916 SLQ and a 1917 Type 1 - the 1917 is probably no more than a $20 coin in that condition... :#

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

@liefgold said:
    This is a story I posted here a while back. Probably my fav aquistion.

I have been looking for this date in a more affordable grade for a very long time.
    I bought this one from a non-collector who was liquidating his uncle's hoard. The family discovered a huge accumulation of coins in the uncle's apartment. He was a hoarder and they literally had to climb over mountains of stuff just to get in the place. He had some better date silver coins but most of the gold was generic common date stuff, except for this.
    Doug Winter estimates that there are about 100 of these in all grades. Now there is 101! Original mintage was 1,460.

Since the seller and I did not really know each other, we decided to each drive 3 hours and meet at a police station to do the deal.
    The real fun part was, as his wife was counting the stack of $100 bills he reaches into the back seat of the car and pulls out a zip loc bag filled with gold coins!!!! Had to be $60k worth. He wanted my opinion on which ones are worth submitting for grading. No super rare dates but some potentially higher grades.
    As I was looking at very nice St. Gaudens double eagle in a filthy plastic holder, he says "there is quite a story behind that one". As I mentioned, his uncle was a bit of a hoarder and after his death they were going through literal mounds of stuff at his apartment. Before they were able to finish, the building burned down! They found this $20 gold under water in the basement among the debris. The saddest part of the story was the fire destroyed a 1900's era baseball card collection valued at $150k.
    I just received word that my 1856-D PCGS XF40 received a CAC sticker. One of only five in all grades. A total of 101 PCGS/NGC grading events.
    Very happy! It adds a little more to a great story.

liefgold

WOW! A very interesting story. Shame about the fire.

• Options

@Jobessi said:

Yet another pickup point that shows your buyer's quarter is a 1917 Type 1 and not a 1916 - the deepest part of the crease in Liberty's sash is centered above her skirt, rather than above the ledge (see red arrow above).

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2023 10:57PM

Here are my most rarest coins!
    The most amazing part is that I Coin Roll hunted, both of these down within 2 months of each other!

Almost identical!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coolest one for me was a dealer friend of mine bought a lot of Indian head cents in a box and there was a bust half randomly thrown in there.

Turned out to be a 1812/1 large 8. It graded AU55.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IkesT said:

@Jobessi said:

Yet another pickup point that shows your buyer's quarter is a 1917 Type 1 and not a 1916 - the deepest part of the crease in Liberty's sash is centered above her skirt, rather than above the ledge (see red arrow above).

Good call. The 16 doesn't have shield rivets that strong either.

• Options

@asheland said:
    The picture speaks for itself. Yes the customer was paid accordingly.

It was sent to PCGS and I ended up buying it. B)

WOW! And that is great. How did it grade? Was it a collection I assume? What about the half dime?

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@liefgold said:
    This is a story I posted here a while back. Probably my fav aquistion.

I have been looking for this date in a more affordable grade for a very long time.
    I bought this one from a non-collector who was liquidating his uncle's hoard. The family discovered a huge accumulation of coins in the uncle's apartment. He was a hoarder and they literally had to climb over mountains of stuff just to get in the place. He had some better date silver coins but most of the gold was generic common date stuff, except for this.
    Doug Winter estimates that there are about 100 of these in all grades. Now there is 101! Original mintage was 1,460.

Since the seller and I did not really know each other, we decided to each drive 3 hours and meet at a police station to do the deal.
    The real fun part was, as his wife was counting the stack of $100 bills he reaches into the back seat of the car and pulls out a zip loc bag filled with gold coins!!!! Had to be $60k worth. He wanted my opinion on which ones are worth submitting for grading. No super rare dates but some potentially higher grades.
    As I was looking at very nice St. Gaudens double eagle in a filthy plastic holder, he says "there is quite a story behind that one". As I mentioned, his uncle was a bit of a hoarder and after his death they were going through literal mounds of stuff at his apartment. Before they were able to finish, the building burned down! They found this $20 gold under water in the basement among the debris. The saddest part of the story was the fire destroyed a 1900's era baseball card collection valued at $150k.
    I just received word that my 1856-D PCGS XF40 received a CAC sticker. One of only five in all grades. A total of 101 PCGS/NGC grading events.
    Very happy! It adds a little more to a great story.

liefgold

One of my favorite stories and coins on the site!

• Options

@asheland said:

@CalifornianKing said:

@asheland said:

WOW! And that is great. How did it grade? Was it a collection I assume? What about the half dime?

It made a fine 12, the other stuff was sold in the shop, I can't recall the details, it was early last year, but the bust quarter was love at first sight for me! :)

Nice!

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin Week has an article out about a massive number of unopened 1940s and 1950s proof sets that just sold in auction for about $1m. https://coinweek.com/coins-stashed-in-garage-top-987000-at-heritage-auction/

I wonder how long until they’re opened (if they are opened) and sold? Might wreak some havoc on populations.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:

@CalifornianKing said:

@asheland said:

It made a fine 12, the other stuff was sold in the shop, I can't recall the details, it was early last year, but the bust quarter was love at first sight for me! :)

This works, I like 👍

• Options
    edited November 29, 2023 10:29AM

@Jobessi said:

Welcome back - I see you made an appearance on the Q&A forum. Just to recap, I tried to tell you that your "1916" SLQ is actually a 1917 Type 1, but you abruptly disappeared when I tried to help you... Another way you can tell the coin is a 1917 is that there are 3 folds in the gown under Liberty's sash (see red arrow in photo above). Fortunately, there are many pickup points to distinguish between a dateless 1917 Type 1 and 1916 standing Liberty quarter!

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve done a fair amount of roll searching and found a few goodies along the way, including some silver.
    Nothing as cool as this Coinstar haul of a month or so back.
    Including a 1917 dateless Standing Liberty quarter. My brief hopes for a 1016 were dashed when I noticed the strong rivets in the shield. Still an amazing haul of silver with a couple of Canadian bucks mixed in. ALL silver on the US stuff too. Note- this has been previously shared in the Coinstar finds thread, minus the details on the quarter.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:

You are having too much fun!

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once received an AU 1909-P Lincoln cent in change. I was around 12 at the time. It has been lost along the way in the five decades that have since passed but I still remember the coin. It even had some mint luster.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @braddick! I don't take it for granted, believe me. I know I got lucky. It was as if they were mixed in with the roll. I couldn't figure it out. I'm still trying to figure it out after almost two years now!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@IkesT said:

@OAKSTAR said:
    Thanks @braddick! I don't take it for granted, believe me. I know I got lucky. It was as if they were mixed in with the roll. I couldn't figure it out. I'm still trying to figure it out after almost two years now!

Coins that are minted together tend to ship out together and get rolled up together - so if you find a variety in an original UNC roll, your chances of finding additional coins of the same variety are definitely increased. Great find!

Yes, I understand your theory... Makes perfect sense. I just can't visualize or understand the minting process. So maybe there were multiple machines spitting out 2000-P Sacagawea's, one of these machines was spitting out wounded eagle's (before the anomaly was caught) and they got mixed into the same bins? I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    edited November 29, 2023 4:17PM

@OAKSTAR said:

@IkesT said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Coins that are minted together tend to ship out together and get rolled up together - so if you find a variety in an original UNC roll, your chances of finding additional coins of the same variety are definitely increased. Great find!

Yes, I understand your theory... Makes perfect sense. I just can't visualize or understand the minting process. So maybe there were multiple machines spitting out 2000-P Sacagawea's, one of these machines was spitting out wounded eagle's (before the anomaly was caught) and they got mixed into the same bins? I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud.

Yes, I think that's essentially how it would have happened. There would have been some degree of mixing of coins coming from different die presses, as you say, but you would end up with a batch of coins that had an elevated number of wounded eagles in it. The die gouge may never have been caught, by the way. A lot of die pairs are needed in order to strike a mintage of 767.14 million coins, so overall, the variety is going to be a needle in a haystack even if the wounded eagle die had a full run.

Coincidentally, I had a similar experience with 2000 p Sac dollars - I picked up a couple of UNC rolls that ended up having more than one of the same variety in them. The variety has feeder finger scrapes that make Sacagawea look like she has cat whiskers. ;)

• Options

@IkesT said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@IkesT said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Yes, I think that's essentially how it would have happened. There would have been some degree of mixing of coins coming from different die presses, as you say, but you would end up with a batch of coins that had an elevated number of wounded eagles in it. The die gouge may never have been caught, by the way. A lot of die pairs are needed in order to strike a mintage of 767.14 million coins, so overall, the variety is going to be a needle in a haystack even if the wounded eagle die had a full run.

Coincidentally, I had a similar experience with 2000 p Sac dollars - I picked up a couple of UNC rolls that ended up having more than one of the same variety in them. The variety has feeder finger scrapes that make Sacagawea look like she has cat whiskers. ;)

Interesting.

In addition to your Sacagawea feeder finger roll experience, I had something similar. Back during the W quarter rage, I was finding 2 and 3 W's in uncirculated rolls from boxes This was just as the Mint described. They Mixed the W's in with the Philly strikes.

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@IkesT said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@IkesT said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Interesting.

In addition to your Sacagawea feeder finger roll experience, I had something similar. Back during the W quarter rage, I was finding 2 and 3 W's in uncirculated rolls from boxes This was just as the Mint described. They Mixed the W's in with the Philly strikes.

That raises another point, which is that the mixing can also occur later after the minting process. When people at the rolling facilities dump coins from mint bags into their rolling machines, the coins that were minted together will still tend to stay together, but they may get diluted a bit if coins from different batches are being mixed.

• Options

I think we covered it @IkesT 👍🏻 👍

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

dunno if it's "in the wild" but there's that 1792 half disme found in a dealer's junk box

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@OAKSTAR said:
    Not sure if these would truly qualify as being found in the wild. Found them about a year ago in a bank roll. No question they were sitting in this roll for some 22 years and not in circulation.

You suck!

(That's a high honor here)

• Options

@Barberian 😉 👍

• Options

@jayPem said:

Are there other coins there in the background as well?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file