Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

No more complaining about GC photos? Phil Arnold Joins GreatCollections

U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw this linked in the other thread but thought people might not see it there.
It looks like people might be able to stop complaining about the GC photos. :D

Phil Arnold Joins GreatCollections as Director of Photography
https://www.greysheet.com/news/story?title=phil-arnold-joins-greatcollections-as-director-of-photography

Comments

• Options

@lilolme said:

@U1chicago said:
    I saw this linked in the other thread but thought people might not see it there.

I don't know - people complain about the Not True Views. :D

I know, hence the smiley face :D
    In fact, I was one of those that liked the GC photos as they were, especially the consistency.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a great opportunity, and a move that will greatly benefit collectors. Best of luck to all involved!

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:

@lilolme said:

@U1chicago said:

I don't know - people complain about the Not True Views. :D

I know, hence the smiley face :D
    In fact, I was one of those that liked the GC photos as they were, especially the consistency.

Yeah I caught what you were doing and why I repeated the next smiley. Agree on being consistent because if the photos vary much then that much harder to figure out.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a marriage, I think the hubbub is a bit over blown about GC photos. They nail the main Got-to-haves being
    1-consistent
    2-high res / large

With a consistent baseline, one can interpret and I don’t think I have ever been surprised. Honestly coins typically look a bit better than expected. Opposed to HA which sometime flood the coin or drown it in contrast and seem to have 10 different photo teams which makes interpreting consistently harder even if their glamor shots appear more appealing to the eye at face value.

All that said I can’t think of a better guy to make incremental and positive changes to push an already world class establishment forward and gaining ground.

Screwed move Ian, well done to all. GL

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

No - they were horrible for top end coins. Good move

• Options
    edited November 28, 2023 3:04PM

@tradedollarnut said:
    No - they were horrible for top end coins. Good move

Theoretically they were the same for low end coins too. Although I do agree the prospect of a higher level of service will expand the pool of high end consigners. I could see their not very visually distinct highlights turning off some. Not like they didn’t have killer offerings but more is better in business

• Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    Seems like a big loss for PCGS.

It seems to me like little ol' GC just cherry-picked big ol' PCGS. The move brings new pressures to both organizations though (imo) - PCGS, to replace Mr. Arnold and not let quality slip with many, many eyes watching, and GC, to show visible improvement. (Note that I like GC photos, I find them to be very consistent with how the coin actually looks in hand.) From the cheap seats, this has all the earmarks of a very astute business move.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• Options
    WiscKauWiscKau Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

Very happy. SUPER move by Ian and Phil!

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's the best of both worlds... the repeatable bog standard shots, PLUS Phil's expert touch as additional pictures.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never really had a problem with their photos.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    epcepc Posts: 162 ✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 - I get it, but not all of us are big fans of the cosmetic "enhancements"...

Regarding the topic - I'm a variety & die state collector. Quality hi-res photos are necessary. The GC photos have been good, but often not good enough. I've surely passed on coins that I would have pursued if the photos had been more detailed. I'm hoping to get one GC offering now - based on HA photos of the same coin... Better photos at GC can only help their business and their customers (both buyers and sellers). Good move.

Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

• Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭✭

Do you think GC would ever have the capability to have videos of the toned coins, which would truly give a good representation of the coin colors?

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

GC is great. But I would love to see hi res images. I'm surprised at how many here are praising the current slab shots. In my own conversations with other collectors GC imagery is nearly universally panned.

I often rely on trueviews or prior auction photos from HA etc to be able to make a decision on a GC coin.

I guess it depends what you're buying and how you get the confidence to pull the trigger.

Photography improvements should drive a larger pool of bidders and higher prices.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations to Ian and Phil. Hope he gets there in time to photo my half cent set.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭

@ianrussell said:
    Consistency is still the #1 goal at GC. I personally love our slab shots - they really show coins how they look in-hand. That being said, sometimes the slab shots don't show all the toning. We do add additional images now for some toned coins and proofs - and that will greatly expand with Phil. Very happy he has joined GC.

• Ian

Hello Ian I find your company’s coin photos to be clear and consistent. What is lacking is a better representation of the luster. I find for the most part the coin I receive are more lustrous than your photos would suggest. So in sum I think your photos understate luster in most cases

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent! Congrats to both parties.

I'm looking forward o seeing the improvements Phil will bring. I might even consign some bust halves now.
    Lance.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

GC continues to fire on all cylinders. Love it.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

@ianrussell said:
    Hey - the title said "no more complaining".

But I do appreciate the feedback - whether positive or negative.

• Ian

I tried my best :D
    I'm one who had no issues with the photos but improvement is always good, especially when enough people might be influenced to bid higher or consign more.

• Options
    CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

Hopefully Phil can make the full steps show up in pictures of such designated Jefferson Nickels.

• Options
    edited November 28, 2023 3:13PM

@sedulous said:
    My personsl desire would be to see more than 2 slab images... two additional coin-only images for each lot to compliment the slab images. Something like the following:

GC Photos

Additional Photos

Thank you, Tim

That coin looks exactly how I would expect it too based off of GC photos. Glamor shots they ain’t but consistent and interpretable against the thousands of coins that have crossed these paws over the years. Without reference knowledge of how to grade, rank and interpret, I’m not sure any online photos are really good enough.

As to two sets of photos would entail two operational setups, processes and timelines. Speed, costs, labor have to be in the equation somewhere. It is unknown if Phill is overhauling the system or adding a new level. Both over time?

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually they did upgrade the photos with easier zooming recently which was an improvement over the old photos. But having an in house photographer can only take them to the next level.

That reminds me, I have to go pick up my latest GC purchases at the post office.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a fan of Ian and GC. But for a $30,000 coin or more, something more than a slab scan is in order.
    I think Phil did a nice job at PCGS and will upgrade the photos. If it were my decision, I would have hired Todd.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ianrussell said:

• Ian

I’ve spent a good amount of time writing feedback—when it was requested—and have never gotten a reply.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

@breakdown said:
    I am a fan of Ian and GC. But for a $30,000 coin or more, something more than a slab scan is in order.
    I think Phil did a nice job at PCGS and will upgrade the photos. If it were my decision, I would have hired Todd.

We like Todd very much, so much so that we did hire Todd for MyCollect. But logistically, he is too far away to commute to Irvine.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

@ianrussell said:

• Ian

I’ve spent a good amount of time writing feedback—when it was requested—and have never gotten a reply.

I do have a response in my drafts - I must send - thank you for the reminder.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭✭

@PhilArnold said:
    Hi all,
    I’ve rejoined the board under my own name to keep in contact with you all on a professional level.

I’m really looking forward to what we’re working on at GreatCollections.

Great things to come!

Stay tuned!

Any chance in incorporating videos' for toned coins? Maybe?

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2023 10:17PM

@PhilArnold When will you be set up at GC? I have a group of toned coins I’d like to send in for consignment.
    Thanks, Steve

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

@littlebear said:

@PhilArnold said:
    Hi all,
    I’ve rejoined the board under my own name to keep in contact with you all on a professional level.

I’m really looking forward to what we’re working on at GreatCollections.

Great things to come!

Stay tuned!

Any chance in incorporating videos' for toned coins? Maybe?

I’ve been hoping that videos would be added, but don’t think it should be limited to just toned coins. The way I think it would make the most sense is to just be an a la carte service like the other marketing add ons (bold) Highlight, feature page presence) that GC offers. I’d imagine the reason we get to enjoy a 10% BP is efficiency and lower overhead (employees mostly), and I’d like it to stay that way 😅. Vids also take up a ton of data.

Also, not every coin looks great in a video, and if they have to rush to do them for every coin, they probably would be sub-par. I’d rather they charge few bucks which would be a deterrent for a majority of coins and keep the workload reasonable. I’m talking about real videos under a lamp by the way, not the digital ones, they just don’t do it for me.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PhilArnold
    Congratulations on becoming a part of GC.
    From the examples of your photos,
    Ian did well in making you a part of their great team.
    I can’t wait until I acquire a coin that you have photographed.
    Push the Kennedy photos. Lol
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the new opportunity! I imagine the workload will be a lot more manageable and less monotonous than the insane volume PCGS must photograph. Probably can even stop for a minute and enjoy one or two of the coins you shoot!

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ianrussell said:

@PhilLynott said:
    Congrats on the new opportunity! I imagine the workload will be a lot more manageable and less monotonous than the insane volume PCGS must photograph. Probably can even stop for a minute and enjoy one or two of the coins you shoot!

lol - the workload at GC is not exactly a breeze. :)

You are going to have to give him a raise already. ;)

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2023 3:27PM

I apologize. This isn’t the place to post a photo from a photographer other than Phil.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2023 3:22PM

The CAC shot does not do that coin any favors, IMO—it makes it look AT.

I was equally impressed with the very crisp high-res, zoom-able slab shots on the GC auction page for that Trade, as I was with Phil's "GreatPhoto". Perhaps the high-res slab shots were happening already, but if it was, I'd never noticed. And if they were, I bet Phil is doing them better.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file