Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Get a Uhaul, and come get these cards!

1235»

Comments

• Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Great thread guys!!! I echo the other comments. This is what the hobby is about.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    crazy last 48 hours for me as I drove the entire way. No sleep until a few minutes ago, as it took me until 2 pm CST to finish unloading the Uhaul. I am definitely enjoys this, but my body is feeling the consequences. I would like to thank Curt for his generosity and help loading the stuff. He did not have to do this, and I want everyone to know he is a super guy that seems to be one of the really great guys in the hobby/ For better or for worse Bill and I will be linked pretty closely, but this should be a blast to sort through.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    Great thread!!
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    WOW is all I can say. Can't wait to see more.
  • Options
    scooperqprscooperqpr Posts: 438 ✭✭
    Did you chew all the gum?
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome job guys, and great story too image

Hopefully, there'll be a few '86 Fleer basketball sets in there image

Steve
  • Options
    I still am amazed at the pictures of the cards at the beginning of the thread and to realized in 3 days where they are now. Enjoyed the thread.
    Collecting 1955 Topps BB
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Glad you guys made it home safely. Thanks for a very entertaining, enjoyable read thus far. Can't wait to see what you mine out of that treasure trove.
  • Options
    Please open the '89 Fleer rack case next.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    great story. keep us updated.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭

I'd still be recovering after a drive like that.

Thanks for the fun guys. More pics please. image
  • Options

<< <i>Please open the '89 Fleer rack case next. >>

That case was busted within 30 minutes of leaving. Mike stopped to eat supper before we hit the road. I stayed in the truck and busted the case.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

That case was busted within 30 minutes of leaving. Mike stopped to eat supper before we hit the road. I stayed in the truck and busted the case. >>

I'm assuming it was a late print run case, since there's no mention of anything interesting.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>

That case was busted within 30 minutes of leaving. Mike stopped to eat supper before we hit the road. I stayed in the truck and busted the case. >>

That doesn't surprise me a bit!
  • Options

<< <i>

lol. I would of too. Cool.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Great read fellas, glad you all made it safe and sound and looks like the trip was an absolute blast!!!!! Can't wait to see more when you unearth the hidden treasures imageimageimage Well Done image
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky
  • Options
    Just a few extra singles finds that are about to go on eBay:

1973 Topps Nolan Ryan w/ nice centering
    82 Topps Ripken
    86 Topps Rice (beat up)
    two 89 UD Griffeys
    78 Topps Eddie Murray (EX)
    Five '94 UD Arods and one Electric Diamond
    85 Fleer Clemens and Puckett
    Handfull of Bowman & Chrome rookies from 01 and 02 (Greinke, Cabrera, Wright, Utley, Votto)
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    I just read this post from the beginning, Very good read! Congrats guys!
  • Options
    shortly I will begin listing a few of the football and basketball rookies from the haul. Quality stuff. It is a blast sorting it. My wife has been incredibly understanding through all of this. I just have about 100 more monster boxes and 250 more set boxes to go through.
  • Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I got bored image

>>

I guess your feet didn't smell too bad -- Gary is still smiling image
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Options
    OK..
    Pinch yourself, the dream is over.

Seriously, this is probably all collectors dream come true(sans those with a 5 digit hobby expense acct)

Unreal..an instant CU classic !! Kudos to bbce
    Sig: Looking for a recent smr magazine, Please pm if you have one to recycle. Thank You
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    I got bored image

>>

I guess your feet didn't smell too bad -- Gary is still smiling image >>

I didn't know hobbits were into 89 Fleer rips. Nice tootsies.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    Some scans of some of the extra baseball singles that I have actually had time to scan. Actually it's just the ones that I have had time to put on eBay.

• Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    awesome
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Look at your 1990 Topps Baseball carefully...and let me know if you find any of "them."
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options

<< <i>Look at your 1990 Topps Baseball carefully...and let me know if you find any of "them." >>

Found a stack of about 20 of them but Topps put his name on the front of all of them.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Remember there are other ones to look for now too.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    How about a link to your auctions, I could use some of those singles for sets.
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    I was out of town and missed this over the weekend. Holy crap!
  • Options
    csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    one day I will get to experience something like this........one day
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks @stevek for telling me about this epic thread and linking it for me. I am going to bring it to the top, because I would imagine not many current posters have read through it and it is the great american road trip for collectors!

It predates my forum lurking by about a year or 2. I did recognize a number of the old posters though. Many still post here, many others have left for some reason or another. I looked up lsutiger1973. it looks like he was only a member for less than 3 years, but made over 11k posts!!! He sure was active before he got banned. I wonder what happened. ancient history now. I also remember bunchofbull. he started an epic nnof frank thomas thread. one of my favorite all time CU reads. It looks like he hasnt been active for a couple of years. hope all is well with him

The thread ended kind of abruptly. I am left with some lingering questions. I wonder if the 2 guys considered the road trip a success? I wonder how much they actually profited from it, after expenses? How much did they keep for their own PC's? Would they ever consider doing it again?

A very enjoyable read!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

Fun read. @rexvos is still around, would love to hear what he thinks about this now.

• Options
    McvillagehtxMcvillagehtx Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

Prior to about two years ago, members got banned for the slightest perception of a negative post about PSA. This was the easiest forum I have ever been a part of to get banned from.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

Was a great read then, and a great read now. I bet one of two outcomes happened:

1- they (or their spouses) decided it was too crazy a project and wholesaled the vast majority to someone
    2- they still have the majority in one of their garages or basements to this day

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2023 7:55PM

@bbcemporium said:
    wow, what a day. Mike and Bill arrived around 5 pm, and with 5 people total (and my two sons), we got them loaded up in about 2 hours. First off, the original pictures didn't do the collection justice, there were way more cards than we thought. However, it appears the trip was worthwhile, as there was a ton of junk wax and all kinds of cards and memorabilia. Here are the pics

Bill and my two sons in the process of moving the cards out

Mike was in charge of loading and organizing the Uhaul

Bill finds a factory sealed '83 Donruss set

Myself, my two sons, Bill, and Mike pose with the partially loaded UHaul

My sons crashing after their day of hard work

I imagine Mike and Bill are about half way home now. It was great meeting some of the forum members, and I hope they enjoy the cards

Ha ha glad some of the pics are still there

• Options

@graygator said:
    Fun read. @rexvos is still around, would love to hear what he thinks about this now.

Thanks for tagging me in this. It was an exhausting trip. I do not know if I could do it again but I would

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rexvos thanks for the update on your road trip!! it was fun to experience it vicariously. I have another question. It looked like, in the pictures, that there were tons of monster boxes/shoe boxes. I would imagine those were mostly commons. what did you guys do with all of those "bulk" cards that were not part of complete sets or star cards? It looked like there was an amazing amount of those boxes.

by the way, your wife must be a saint. My wife would have lost her mind with all of those boxes coming into the house!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    @rexvos thanks for the update on your road trip!! it was fun to experience it vicariously. I have another question. It looked like, in the pictures, that there were tons of monster boxes/shoe boxes. I would imagine those were mostly commons. what did you guys do with all of those "bulk" cards that were not part of complete sets or star cards? It looked like there was an amazing amount of those boxes.

by the way, your wife must be a saint. My wife would have lost her mind with all of those boxes coming into the house!

Bill took most of the baseball, I took the football and basketball. I covered all expenses. Bill sorted through the baseball
    and paid me back by covering grading fees. He trashed a lot of the bulk commons. I kept most of the football and basketball commons and sold on sportlots, until my recent move I did a good volume for a number of years once I got it all organized

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

I would of never been let back into the house.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".