Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Get a Uhaul, and come get these cards!

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Thanks for the pics ... that is a once in a lifetime experience ... wish it was here in NY and me in those pics!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Wow, Nice Job guys. Stay safe on the Highway and have fun. image

-John
    -John Stevens
    Ebay ID: jrconcessi

Collecting 1993 Finest Refractors & All Refractors 1993 - 2001, 1964 Topps Psa 8.5 or Better
    Soon to be Collecting 1966 Batman Color and all Hall of Famers in all Sports in as High a Grade as I can Afford.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Too cool!! Can't wait to hear they arrived safely back home! That's a ton (or three) of cardboard!
  • Options
    bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Too cool!! Can't wait to hear they arrived safely back home! That's a ton (or three) of cardboard! >>

The truck they brought to haul the trailer was completely full of 5,000 count boxes. And Bill had the backseats stuffed with packs to open on the way back. There was a case of '89 fleer rack packs that should keep him busy.
    Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    An EXCELLENT Adventure!!!!!!!!!!!
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    I want to see the picture of all the opened wax packs littering the truck!
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Hope there aren't too many hills on the way home! Yikes! I know how heavy 200k cards were, I can't imagine a million (just guessing). If you had to guess, how many cards do you think they have in that truck?
  • Options
    I would have to guess right around 1 million.
    Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Get on a truck scale with the cards and without! Should weigh within 20 pounds
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glorious!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Nightmare!

2 gallons of gasoline and a lighter is all you need

Now That would be fun image
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    You might want to just keep the U haul to take the cards for the Group Sub IV to PSA. Can you imagine all the stuff Bill is going to submit from that.

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    looks like fun! you guys shoulda picked me up..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    "Case of '89 Fleer". Yeah !

I second the weight the cards idea. "So anyways, I was driving down the road with 650 lbs of baseball cards.."

Thanks for sharing. Very cool story.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    This absolutely cracks me up. Excellent experience guys. Pretty darn cool.

Great pictures by the way.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    We are now 25 hours into the trip and still 4 hours from home. Will post some pics and a few scans after a long nap when we get home.

Would like to send my thanks to Curt for the opportunity and his generosity.
  • Options
    Be safe, get some rest and then post some more!!! image There's a lot of cardboard junkies living vicariously through you guys!
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We are now 25 hours into the trip and still 4 hours from home. Will post some pics and a few scans after a long nap when we get home.

Would like to send my thanks to Curt for the opportunity and his generosity. >>

Be careful...this is usually about the time in the movie when one partner bumps off the other partner to keep the valuables all to himself. image

Cool story, and hopefully they'll be some good winners in there.
  • Options
    Great stuff! Hope is was as fun doing as it was reading.
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    You guys have had plenty of time to post more pictures. They must have stopped halfway home to rip some '87 Topps.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    they're gonna find cool surprises, i just know it. image
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>they're gonna find cool surprises, i just know it. image >>

Will be fun watching what is found in that big mess o cards. image
  • Options
    Finally got home and about to start sorting for real. Spent a little time sorting in the truck and busting junk wax. image

I could only fit about 1/3rd of the stuff in my living room and my wife is not happy. Pics to follow soon.

If anyone is looking for ANY, and I do mean ANY, set from any of the 4 major team sports from 1981-2006 fell free to send me a PM. Some of the better sets will be for sale with scans later today or tomorrow on the BST board.

Thanks again to Curt. Was pretty cool to see a random internet person face to face and find out that he is actually one of the nicest human beings I have ever met. Thanks one more time Curt.
  • Options
    A few pics from the trip:

Mike trying to get gas at a gas station that was closed.

I got bored image

Anyone wanna come over and help? My wife is n't happy and now hates Mike.

• Options
    I just showed the pics to my wife....she now agrees that my stuff isn't that bad.
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing this story. This is FUN and also tremendous amount of work. The rips will be fun and
    I hope you do get some $$$ to compensate the uhaul/gas/food and other expenses.

• Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    just wondering what's the best thing you've seen in the large lot of fun???
  • Options
    Guess I will keep this a running "live rip" kindof thread.

Baseball sets found so far that are for sale:
    78 Topps
    79 Topps
    81 Topps
    82 Topps (at least 3)
    82 Fleer Factory (x3)
    83 Fleer (x2)
    84 Donruss (x3)
    84 Fleer (x3)
    85 Fleer
    85 Donruss (x2)
    86-89 Donruss about 10 of each
    87-88 Topps about 10 of each
    86 Fleer (at least 2)
    87 Fleer (at least 4)
    88 Fleer (not sure but Mike has a few factory sets)
    89 Fleer (more than I care to count)
  • Options
    sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    Great thread... I hope you guys find a hidden treasure or two.

Very generous of Curt to share the wealth too.

Mike
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭
    I might be interested in some 80s hockey sets for the right $$. Let me know if you have any.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Glad to hear that you guys got back safe.

NOW LET US KNOW WHAT YOU FIND!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>NOW LET US KNOW WHAT YOU FIND! >>

Haven't slept in 2 days and adrenaline is keepingme searching. May take a month or more to sort everything.
  • Options
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    any 81 fleer / donruss?
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    I might take some 80's football sets - what sorts of conditions are you finding for the sets, or all they are factory?
    pete
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    what you want for those '70's sets and what condition are they in?
    Thanks

• Options

<< <i>any 81 fleer / donruss? >>

How many 81 Fleer sets would you like? Haven't found any 81 Donruss yet.
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    What's the hockey stuff looking like, if there are any??
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159
    I'll give you $200 for all of it if you deliver to southeastern Wisconsin. Look at it as a free $200 for your time!

• Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    you guys keep me in mind for 83-84 ron kittles
  • Options
    Great thread. I could never do what they did. Thumbs up for their initiative and drive.
    And how about those kids.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    This is one of the coolest stories ever. Your two sons will never forget this one.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Dudes, I wish I had known you were going after this stuff so fast, I wanted you to make a side trip thru Dallas. I've got 5 or 6 boxes of 80's stuff I wanted to add to your haul. I needed a little bit of money for it, but some of it was "Burgundy grade".

Congrats on getting the swag and getting back safely.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx Guys!!!!

This takes me back to 1989 when my son first started collecting with me - what a great time we had - I feel really good right now - it's hard when they grow up and no longer hang close.

We used to make the card shop, local show, flea market runs every saturday!!!

A pleasure - maybe one of the best and most enjoyable threads of the year!!!! image

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>any 81 fleer / donruss? >>

How many 81 Fleer sets would you like? Haven't found any 81 Donruss yet. >>

PM me Asking price?

Go Phillies
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    This will definitely be in the top 5 threads of the year

very cool

• Options
    intenceintence Posts: 1,255
    holy crap thats a lot
  • Options

<< <i>This is one of the coolest stories ever. Your two sons will never forget this one. >>

My sons were juiced when Bill handed them a '88 Donruss set. They spent most of the following day putting it in an album.
    Registry Sets

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This is one of the coolest stories ever. Your two sons will never forget this one. >>

My sons were juiced when Bill handed them a '88 Donruss set. They spent most of the following day putting it in an album. >>

That's what it's all about! image
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    This thread has been a fun read. thanx for sharing.