Home U.S. Coin Forum

1838-C Classic Head Quarter Eagle: 'Punched Cheek'- Your Thoughts?

AvocetAvocet Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭

This 1838-C is a new addition to my collection, and I am very interested in your thoughts about it. This coin has several marks, and the typical re-punched “C” and die crack above the wing on the reverse are easy to see. It looks like someone “punched” the classic head-on the obverse, and I am aware that several examples are out there with a strike-through evident on the cheek.

Doug Winter has pointed out that this variety tends to be over-valued, perhaps due to the classic head and first-year features.

The Charlotte mint was just starting in 1838, and I suspect that the ‘learning curve’ and rudimentary techniques account for some variability in these pieces.

Despite some of the rough aspects of this coin, I am excited to have it as part of my Southern Gold collection— these are so hard to find.

Please share any thoughts, comments, or pictures of Charlotte gold you have. Thanks for taking a look :) ….

Comments

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMHO that is a strike through of a "softer" small bit - cotton, or? The TPGs seem to give these a lot of leeway, esp. the earlier Charlotte gold.
    Nice coin, liberally graded with soft strike and a bit of honest wear - I was stuck more between 50 and 53.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin with good color.

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2023 9:30AM

I very much like the coin, the cheek punch doesn't really bother me. Like @7Jaguars, It looks like it might have gotten a bit of a color bump, as i'd like it a lot more as a 53. In any event, it's a nicely colored wholesome coin that I would be proud to own.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin has a lot of character and has great color.

• LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭✭✭

She looks a bit gaunt likely due to old age and poor nutrition, common back then. That is a sweet-looking piece of southern gold, I like the obverse mintmarks.

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

Color, luster, die cracks, striking anomaly ... yeah, everything! And it's a DOG!! <3

I am with @DeplorableDan that this might seem more suitable in a 53 holder, but then we are just splitting hairs.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a nice, original coin that looks like our host stretched a little bit grade-wise, but CAC still liked it due to its originality and color. The “strike-thru” anomaly is likely due to some foreign material that became adhered to the die, creating the depression on Liberty’s cheek, and is found among existing examples with some frequency. When I was putting together my Charlotte QE set, I examined several examples of this variety, but opted for one (P-55) without the depression.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

A great looking coin that would be AU50 by my standards (I am no fan of TPG or sticker company grading of gold coins.)

It is a coin I'd love to own if I were still buying coins.

All glory is fleeting.
  • TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

Call it whatever but I like it.

• calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

very nice example

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it! 👍

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coloration on that coin

• dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 420 ✭✭✭

With PCGS grade and CAC approval it’s a keeper

• Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

She ate the "spring surprise" made by the Whizzo Chocolate Company

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file