Sold out in less than a minute.... :#

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

They only had 12 left. ;)

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now the fun begins watching sales of each type.

• Options

This seller is trying to set the market price. He has a chance if other sellers stack their items at his price. But I think he set the gold way too high and it won't work.

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Bullsitter said:

Oh my, I thought today was release day.... :/

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Bullsitter said:

Me too. I went to the link last night and this morning and it was not active for placing orders.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭

$1475? Look at the bright side,

You get a nice gold hologram label for $1325 and the coin for the avg retail price of $150. You can't beat that with a stick, which you will have already used on your head before making that purchase.

• Options

@pcgscacgold said:

@Bullsitter said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Bullsitter said:

Me too. I went to the link last night and this morning and it was not active for placing orders.

But they were all over ebay yesterday... already opened.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@Bullsitter said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Bullsitter said:

Yes and that makes me wonder a little about this venture. Sitting on the sidelines watching everyone else play. I am ok with that.

• Options

@pcgscacgold said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@Bullsitter said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Bullsitter said:

Yes and that makes me wonder a little about this venture. Sitting on the sidelines watching everyone else play. I am ok with that.

VB had an early release but except for that one allegedly sample box, there were none shipped prior to the release date.

It's kind of odd. When did these get shipped to be in people's hands yesterday? Did they sell them at Long Beach?

I don't really care. The labels didn't interest me. But it was odd to see them for sale yesterday.

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I have to admit I was wrong. Instant sell out. I hope those that wanted one got one. If not, they are releasing proofs next!

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

It's kind of odd. When did these get shipped to be in people's hands yesterday? It was odd to see them for sale yesterday.

That doesn't really make any sense. There were only supposed to be 600 total coins...how did some spill out into an early release? International dateline?

• Options

@Onastone said:

@jmlanzaf said:

It's kind of odd. When did these get shipped to be in people's hands yesterday? It was odd to see them for sale yesterday.

That doesn't really make any sense. There were only supposed to be 600 total coins...how did some spill out into an early release? International dateline?

My guess is some select coin dealers (aka PCGS big customers) were chosen to promote them on WhatNot pre-release to generate demand.

That is just my opinion. I have no inside information nor confirmation this is the case.😎

• Options

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@Onastone said:

@jmlanzaf said:

My guess is some select coin dealers (aka PCGS big customers) were chosen to promote them on WhatNot pre-release to generate demand.

That is just my opinion. I have no inside information nor confirmation this is the case.😎

I think it's more likely they had them at Long Beach

• Options
    jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

One of the sellers on whatnot said that he along with a lot of other sellers were given the opportunity to buy up to 25 each to sell starting on Thursday.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@jeffas1974 said:
    One of the sellers on whatnot said that he along with a lot of other sellers were given the opportunity to buy up to 25 each to sell starting on Thursday.

That's a little odd. They have 600 total and they allow dealers to buy 25 each for release a day early. The reason for it is obvious: create a price comp higher than the issue price while guaranteeing a quick sell out. But it also gives the impression of market manipulation.

Personally, I think it's the new way of marketing and self promotion. WhatNot is the new Ebay...if you haven't downloaded the WhatNot app I highly recommend it.

• Options

@jeffas1974 said:

Thank you for the confirmation. I didn't have time to watch the one seller for more than a minute but I figured Ultra Breaks gave a few high profile sellers the opportunity to promote these ahead of the release date.

I had no interest but obviously there were at least 600 buyers of these packs that scooped them up in less than a minute today!😂🤣

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jeffas1974 said:

That's a little odd. They have 600 total and they allow dealers to buy 25 each for release a day early. The reason for it is obvious: create a price comp higher than the issue price while guaranteeing a quick sell out. But it also gives the impression of market manipulation.

Personally, I think it's the new way of marketing and self promotion. WhatNot is the new Ebay...if you haven't downloaded the WhatNot app I highly recommend it.

I'm surprised it's useful to anyone. Spent a few minutes checking it out but from what I can tell you have to sit there and wait for sellers to come one and sit there and watch them like watching the home shopping network. Who has the time and patience? I can't imagine any serious coin collectors using it.

• Options

@ProofCollection said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jeffas1974 said:

I'm surprised it's useful to anyone. Spent a few minutes checking it out but from what I can tell you have to sit there and wait for sellers to come one and sit there and watch them like watching the home shopping network. Who has the time and patience? I can't imagine any serious coin collectors using it.

I was ok with your post until you stated "serious" coin collectors. Most of us ARE serious coin collectors or we wouldn't be on this forum. Just because you collect and buy something different than me doesn't make you any better than me and vice versa.🙄

WhatNot is a great resource for learning about new releases and buying all types of existing products. Many sellers are fun and entertaining while others are boring and way overpriced.😎

It may not be your cup of tea but I believe there are many "serious " collectors using this platform to sell and buy coins and other products.😎

• Options

@ProofCollection said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jeffas1974 said:

I do see how you could easily get that opinion. The majority of sellers are auctioning off fairly common widgets so if you only spent a few minutes it’s likely you saw silver rounds, junk silver and common proof sets.

However, there are a couple of sellers that I’ve seen that cater (at least partially) to the more serious buyer. Witter is on there. Another seller regularly auctions off $500 to several thousand dollar raw coins on his streams which at least in my universe is in the serious realm since you’re talking about realized price levels similar to what you see at your weekly Heritage auction.

The platform won’t ever replace traditional auction houses for me for what qualifies as my more serious buying. I’m not good enough to be able to quickly assess what I might be buying in the short amount of time that you have to view each item but for others it might be worth it.

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2023 9:21PM

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@jeffas1974 said:

Thank you for the confirmation. I didn't have time to watch the one seller for more than a minute but I figured Ultra Breaks gave a few high profile sellers the opportunity to promote these ahead of the release date.

I had no interest but obviously there were at least 600 buyers of these packs that scooped them up in less than a minute today!😂🤣

Unless 500 or more were spoken for ahead of time, just giving the impression they sold 600 in a minute when they did nothing of the sort.

Again, who even really cares about this? This is just a limited, exclusive label. There are an infinite variety of them already.

Because sealing them in a box and calling them rare, rarer and rarest is supposed to get coin collectors all hot and bothered? They are labels, for crying out loud. Not limited mintage coins!!!! Not even stickers.

The labels, and their value, is totally disconnected from the common coins in the slabs. There is no misrepresentation taking place, so I honestly have no problem with it, but I really don't understand why anyone would have any interest in it. Or how an Ultra Breaks label on a PCGS slab of a coin with a 400,000 mintage is going to be of interest, or value, to people in the future.

Even the Advanced Release labels, which mean nothing to most of us, say something about the coin and how it was distributed by the Mint. These are just labels that have no intrinsic value, or relation to the coin. Why would anyone care about something that anyone could pay PCGS to do for them, or even create themselves if they have access to paper, ink and a printer? Truly puzzling!

• Options

@NJCoin said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@jeffas1974 said:

Unless 500 or more were spoken for ahead of time, just giving the impression they sold 600 in a minute when they did nothing of the sort.

Again, who even really cares about this? This is just a limited, exclusive label. There are an infinite variety of them already.

Because sealing them in a box and calling them rare, rarer and rarest is supposed to get coin collectors all hot and bothered? They are labels, for crying out loud. Not limited mintage coins!!!! Not even stickers.

The labels, and their value, is totally disconnected from the common coins in the slabs. There is no misrepresentation taking place, so I honestly have no problem with it, but I really don't understand why anyone would have any interest in it. Or how an Ultra Breaks label on a PCGS slab of a coin with a 400,000 mintage is going to be of interest, or value, to people in the future.

Even the Advanced Release labels, which mean nothing to most of us, say something about the coin and how it was distributed by the Mint. These are just labels that have no intrinsic value, or relation to the coin. Why would anyone care about something that anyone could pay PCGS to do for them, or even create themselves if they have access to paper, ink and a printer? Truly puzzling!

They didn't even put much effort into making it very different. Pay some coin celeb for a signature or something. Add artwork or something. Change the color of the gasket or something ala VB.

Of course it is far more profitable than VB this way.

But, let the market decide. I'm all for anything new.

• Options
    edited September 9, 2023 8:20AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@jeffas1974 said:

They didn't even put much effort into making it very different. Pay some coin celeb for a signature or something. Add artwork or something. Change the color of the gasket or something ala VB.

I actually, totally agree with you here, other than with the profitability aspect as compared to VB. We really can't know that, because, since they didn't do VB's volume, they have a much smaller population over which to make their money.

And then, since they not are selling prizes with established third party values, unlike VB, I find it hard to believe that insiders and other interested parties snapped up up to 25 ahead of time at full retail for resale.

Anything is possible, but I'd be shocked if "dealers" paid 100% markups over retail on 25 of them in the expectation of making good money on flipping brand new, unproven labels. I wouldn't even pay $250 for one of the 6 in 600 prizes with the expectation of it holding that value in the future, let alone one of the sealed boxes, but, obviously, that's just me.

So, I just find it difficult to believe that a professional would give these guys $6250 with the expectation of making a decent return before the concept was proven. The resale asking prices are aggressive, but are there actually sales at those prices?

• Options

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@jeffas1974 said:

I actually, totally agree with you here, other than with the profitability aspect as compared to VB. We really can't know that, because, since they didn't do VB's volume, they have a much smaller population over which to make their money.

And then, since they not are selling prizes with established third party values, unlike VB, I find it hard to believe that insiders and other interested parties snapped up up to 25 ahead of time at full retail for resale.

Anything is possible, but I'd be shocked if "dealers" paid 100% markups over retail on 25 of them in the expectation of making good money on flipping brand new, unproven labels. I wouldn't even pay $250 for one of the 6 in 600 prizes with the expectation of it holding that value in the future, let alone one of the sealed boxes, but, obviously, that's just me.

So, I just find it difficult to believe that a professional would give these guys $6250 with the expectation of making a decent return before the concept was proven. The resale asking prices are aggressive, but are there actually sales at those prices?

We know dealers bought and flipped them. We saw them.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@jeffas1974 said:

Where? WhatNot? I only see 2 sold on eBay. Neither at a price that would encourage a dealer in invest $6250 in 25 of them.

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@Onastone said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I think it's more likely they had them at Long Beach

I didn't see any at Long Beach on Thursday during my 12 loops around the convention center bourse.

Tim

• Options

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@jeffas1974 said:

Where? WhatNot? I only see 2 sold on eBay. Neither at a price that would encourage a dealer in invest $6250 in 25 of them.

They were on both places. But there were more than 2 on ebay. They may not have sold.

• Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭

One seller, sicc coins?, had 7 on hand yesterday. Three are sold, 4 are available.

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

Nice to see some of us know how to accurately search Ebay completed sales!😉👍

• Options

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@jeffas1974 said:

I watched about a dozen of them sell on whatnot on Thursday and the lowest one went for $280 or so. There were at least 6 streams that I noticed that were advertising ultra breaks that day.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@jeffas1974 said:

They were on both places. But there were more than 2 on ebay. They may not have sold.

Right, but "not sold" prices could be realistic, or dreams. They mean nothing unless they result in arm's length transactions.

• Options

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@jeffas1974 said:

Right, but "not sold" prices could be realistic, or dreams. They mean nothing unless they result in arm's length transactions.

That's not at all the point. The point is the dealers had BOUGHT them. You suggested they wouldn't have bought an unproven product.

[Hint: you need to actually read your post to understand responses to your post. ]

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@jeffas1974 said:

That's not at all the point. The point is the dealers had BOUGHT them. You suggested they wouldn't have bought an unproven product.

[Hint: you need to actually read your post to understand responses to your post. ]

This is priceless!🤣😂

He doesn't research Ebay completed sales properly, assumed they weren't selling on WhatNot and apparently doesn't read other member's posts which document both Ebay completed sales and eyewitness account of a WhatNot seller's sales on Thursday. 🙄

Talk about selective research trying to support his claims!😎

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@jeffas1974 said:

Actually, I said not bought at full retail. I stand behind that assertion. Dealers usually buy at wholesale. If Ultra Breaks actually wholesaled out the bulk of their product, they didn't make nearly as much as you speculate.

I admit that these things seem to be selling on eBay for more than I would have imagined, so I guess anything is possible.

Another shout out to P.T. Barnum, and I'm not begrudging anyone their "fun," but just how many people are paying $400 for a $125 coin and a $275 purdy label who fully expect to get no more than $125 for it when it's time to sell?

• Options
    edited September 9, 2023 3:48PM

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@jeffas1974 said:

This is priceless!🤣😂

He doesn't research Ebay completed sales properly, assumed they weren't selling on WhatNot and apparently doesn't read other member's posts which document both Ebay completed sales and eyewitness account of a WhatNot seller's sales on Thursday. 🙄

Talk about selective research trying to support his claims!😎

So I guess you're not really ignoring me after all! And, if you are, you just can't control yourself and NEED to comment when you happen to catch something in a quote.

I'm truly flattered. Just, please, do not send me a bill for the rent you might think I owe for the space I am taking up in your head, because I never signed the lease. 🤣😂😎🙄

• Options

Someone actually bought this on Ebay.😲

Looks like it wasn't a Best Offer sale either 🤔

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    Someone actually bought this on Ebay.😲

Looks like it wasn't a Best Offer sale either 🤔

Wow, I wonder how much that same person would have paid for the Infinity slab.

• Options

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@jeffas1974 said:

Actually, I said not bought at full retail. I stand behind that assertion. Dealers usually buy at wholesale. If Ultra Breaks actually wholesaled out the bulk of their product, they didn't make nearly as much as you speculate.

I admit that these things seem to be selling on eBay for more than I would have imagined, so I guess anything is possible.

Another shout out to P.T. Barnum, and I'm not begrudging anyone their "fun," but just how many people are paying $400 for a $125 coin and a $275 purdy label who fully expect to get no more than $125 for it when it's time to sell?

When in doubt, make up facts to support your random assertions.

• Options

For those that care mark your calendar!

• Options

Yeah, but how many will be sold before October 6th?

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:

Hmm...

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

Hmm...

I find it interesting that this thread doesn't get vaporized but the VB 4 thread did. Kinda hypocritical don't ya think?😉

• Options

@PhillyJoe said:
    You're wondering why a offer with PCGS products as the prize stays on PCGS boards, but an offer from a competitor is nuked? Really?

Well, not really, but it is disappointing. And it is SLIGHTLY surprising given that they do allow NGC and CACG threads. CACG and NGC are directly competitors while VB and UB are barely a blip on the balance sheet.

• Options

@PhillyJoe said:
    You're wondering why a offer with PCGS products as the prize stays on PCGS boards, but an offer from a competitor is nuked? Really?

I know why it gets vaporized. It's because a member or members become forum police and tattletale to the Mods.

My comment is directed to those members who won't do that to an Ultra Breaks thread. Said members know who they are...🙄

• Options

I didn’t even realize until now that the VB4 thread got nuked. Wasn’t that one relatively drama free?

• Options

@jeffas1974 said:
    I didn’t even realize until now that the VB4 thread got nuked. Wasn’t that one relatively drama free?

Exactly. There was no reason to nuke it and no reason for anyone to report the thread but someone did. 🙄

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file