PCGS competition for VaultBox - Ultra Breaks

1235»

Comments

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

I guess they forgot to tell the dealers not to sell them before the public release last time.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

"Embargo" is an unfortunate choice of words. LOL.

At least they are consistent: 2x normal market price.

Let the games begin.

[I'm rapidly becoming a VB loyalist...especially since we are being discriminated against!]

• Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭

If VB “prizes” were only marked up 2x I might have been interested.
    I don’t think anyone has been brave enough to post what they won in the VB lottery which tells me everything I need to know.
    Does PCGS discriminate against posts that shill for NGC products? Absolutely. Says so right in the terms and conditions of being a guest here.

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PhillyJoe said:
    I don’t think anyone has been brave enough to post what they won in the VB lottery which tells me everything I need to know.
    Does PCGS discriminate against posts that shill for NGC products? Absolutely. Says so right in the terms and conditions of being a guest here.

I posted what I got from VaultBox 1, no shame for me, but that thread and every subsequent VaultBox thread has been nuked.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options

@UpGrayedd said:

@PhillyJoe said:

I posted what I got from VaultBox 1, no shame for me, but that thread and every subsequent VaultBox thread has been nuked.

A number of people posted what they got. A number of people also posted that they were satisfied with the "game". But that doesn't seem to matter.

VB is also not an "NGC product". It's a product made from NGC slabbed coins.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@UpGrayedd said:

@PhillyJoe said:

A number of people posted what they got. A number of people also posted that they were satisfied with the "game". But that doesn't seem to matter.

Its a collaboration, whether there is a joint marketing agreement is immaterial. Both will and should take the criticism and or acclaim. NGCs eyes are wide open on the deal, that is for certain.

• Options

@fathom said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@UpGrayedd said:

@PhillyJoe said:

Its a collaboration, whether there is a joint marketing agreement is immaterial. Both will and should take the criticism and or acclaim. NGCs eyes are wide open on the deal, that is for certain.

Certainly it is a more intimate relationship than if I started selling boxes with standard slabs in them. But it still isn't an "NGC product", especially in the context of what we're talking about here. People keep saying that it shouldn't surprise anyone that PCGS keeps shutting down a thread on an "NGC product". But there are numerous NGC slab threads and even questions about submissions to NGC, ANACS, and ICG. SLABS are the NGC product and the only one directly competing with the PCGS product.

• Options
    edited September 23, 2023 2:40PM

@PhillyJoe said:

VB boxes were marked up less than 100% on average. The lowest value boxes were about 100% markup. But there is a distribution and the average is MUCH lower.

But, you can decide how to sirens your money. Buy a lottery ticket or pay 100% premium for an intentional label rarity.

Serious question: is every UB issue a new rarity or is each subsequent release diluting the rarity?

• Options
    jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

Serious question: is every UB issue a new rarity or is each subsequent release diluting the rarity?

IMHO, it has to be the latter to at least some degree.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sold what they had in 2 minutes, got one.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    Sold what they had in 2 minutes, got one.

May the odds forever be in your favor.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2024 4:39AM

c

• Options
    edited October 7, 2023 5:30AM

@ernie11 said:
    Ho hum.

That's exactly how I feel every time someone posts a Modern Mint issue or an MS65 Morgan dollar, not to mention a handful of 40% halves they found while CRH. But I don't say it because I recognize that someone is excited about it and I feel like we should at least tolerate our fellow collectors if not outright support them.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2023 8:25AM

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@PhillyJoe said:
    You're wondering why a offer with PCGS products as the prize stays on PCGS boards, but an offer from a competitor is nuked? Really?

I know why it gets vaporized. It's because a member or members become forum police and tattletale to the Mods.

My comment is directed to those members who won't do that to an Ultra Breaks thread. Said members know who they are...🙄

I think anyone that pays an enormous premium for Ultra Breaks or Vaultbox is a sucker. Feel better?

At this point, I have become discontent with the chicanery and nonsense in this hobby that I am content watching Rome burn from the sidelines.

• Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭

Honestly, this isn’t a good look in my opinion. This is the kind of thing that gets sold to old people as extremely > @cameonut2011 said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@PhillyJoe said:
    You're wondering why a offer with PCGS products as the prize stays on PCGS boards, but an offer from a competitor is nuked? Really?

I know why it gets vaporized. It's because a member or members become forum police and tattletale to the Mods.

My comment is directed to those members who won't do that to an Ultra Breaks thread. Said members know who they are...🙄

I think anyone that pays an enormous premium for Ultra Breaks or Vaultbox is a sucker. Feel better?

At this point, I have become discontent with the chicanery and nonsense in this hobby that I am content watching Rome burn from the sidelines.

People buy all kinds of crap. Crap jewelry. Crap watches. Crap cars. Crap electronics. Crap collectibles. There’s nothing really special about coins. If people are going to buy crap, someone is going to sell them crap.

• Options
    Vandaleak_CollectionVandaleak_Collection Posts: 70 ✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2024 9:57AM

Sorry to revive this thread, but just noticed that Great Collections have some ultra breaks in their ongoing auctions. One of the four is a Gold Rush label. Will be very interesting to see what price the four coins (especially the Gold Rush) hammer at.

https://www.greatcollections.com/search.php?q=Ultra+breaks&mode=product&sort=01

Currently looking for Proof Half Sovereigns…….

• Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vandaleak_Collection said:
    Sorry to revive this thread, but just noticed that Great Collections have some ultra breaks in their ongoing auctions. One of the four is a Gold Rush label. Will be very interesting to see where the four coins (especially the Gold Rush).

Not particularly fond of moderns, but that is a cool looking coin, and i do like the label.

• Options

@MFeld said:

Sorry to revive this thread, but just noticed that Great Collections have some ultra breaks in their ongoing auctions. One of the four is a Gold Rush label. Will be very interesting to see what price the four coins (especially the Gold Rush) hammer at.

Why revive the thread if you’re sorry to do so?

I think most people appreciate a polite approach and the message I was conveying was clear and polite.

I am reviving the thread to share what I believe to be helpful information. I am ‘sorry’ to revive it because it was last updated in October 2023 and a lot of posts have been made since that time.

Is it usual for people to be so rude here?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

I think most people appreciate a polite approach and the message I was conveying was clear and polite.

I am reviving the thread to share what I believe to be helpful information. I am ‘sorry’ to revive it because it was last updated in October 2023 and a lot of posts have been made since that time.

Yes.

Post VaultBox update and see what happens. 😉

People can be so rude. It is usually because they feel threatened, suffer from low intelligence and/or narcissism. So disappointing.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2024 1:12PM

@MFeld said:

I asked the question because it wasn’t at all clear to me why you were sorry for reviving the thread (yet chose to do so anyway). Now that you’ve explained it, I can understand, so thank you.
    That said, I’m not sure why you thought it was rude to ask a question about something that appeared to be contradictory.

Edited to add: Now, I’m not even sure if your question about people being rude here was in reference to my question, to which you replied - hopefully, not.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

Yes.

Post VaultBox update and see what happens. 😉

People can be so rude. It is usually because they feel threatened, suffer from low intelligence and/or narcissism. So disappointing.

Hmmm....

• Options

@JimTyler said:
    At least vault box gives you a shot at a decent coin. Ultra breaks changes the ink in the printer and promotes it as the big score.

Some people collect labels...

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:
    Interesting concept. It is not for me to tell others what or how to collect. Enjoy the hobby however you wish.

I'll concur in part and dissent in part: The "concept" isn't the least bit "interesting" to me, but I agree that it does no harm to the hobby, so people inclined to play such a game should have at it.

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@ernie11 said:
    Ho hum.

That's exactly how I feel every time someone posts a Modern Mint issue or an MS65 Morgan dollar, not to mention a handful of 40% halves they found while CRH. But I don't say it because I recognize that someone is excited about it and I feel like we should at least tolerate our fellow collectors if not outright support them.

Hey, I greatly enjoy my 40% halves. To me they are hard to find, to you maybe not, either way, they are not "ho hum" finds for me.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

• Options

@CRHer700 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ernie11 said:
    Ho hum.

Hey, I greatly enjoy my 40% halves. To me they are hard to find, to you maybe not, either way, they are not "ho hum" finds for me.

I believe if you read all of my words, I said "...someone is excited about it..."

That said, there is little reason for most of the rest of us to be excited about it.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@CRHer700 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ernie11 said:
    Ho hum.

I believe if you read all of my words, I said "...someone is excited about it..."

That said, there is little reason for most of the rest of us to be excited about it.

One of the pleasures of a decent web forum is sharing one's joy. I have no problem with a CRH talking about a success (although I don't do coin roll hunting; I'd rather work a minimum wage job than spend endless hours coin roll hunting).

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cheesy.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

@124Spider said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@CRHer700 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ernie11 said:
    Ho hum.

One of the pleasures of a decent web forum is sharing one's joy. I have no problem with a CRH talking about a success (although I don't do coin roll hunting; I'd rather work a minimum wage job than spend endless hours coin roll hunting).

As I said, I don't complain about such threads because I know someone is excited about it. That was my point. It just seems that others could be just as forgiving about VB or UB.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@124Spider said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@CRHer700 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ernie11 said:
    Ho hum.

As I said, I don't complain about such threads because I know someone is excited about it. That was my point. It just seems that others could be just as forgiving about VB or UB.

I certainly agree with that. I have no interest in such games of chance, but I don't see a harm in them for those who like to gamble. So I don't understand the negativity heaped on VB.

• Options

@124Spider said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@124Spider said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@CRHer700 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ernie11 said:
    Ho hum.

I certainly agree with that. I have no interest in such games of chance, but I don't see a harm in them for those who like to gamble. So I don't understand the negativity heaped on VB.

Personally, I'm shocked at how popular they are. Check out Whatnot. Almost any time of any day there are mystery games going on.

They are so popular that they've changed the way Whatnot does billing for the entire site. [Although I think they could fix it. ] they process all payments immediately rather than grouping at the end of the auction. I asked my account manager why they didn't wait. He said, "we have to do it that way for the mystery boxes because they open them as soon as they pay. "

Don't tell the rest of the forum, but I'm going to try running one for fun. It'll be relatively cheap with a narrower range of values. But it's amazing to me.

Just to save you the trouble. Running right now:

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

Don't tell the rest of the forum, but I'm going to try running one for fun. It'll be relatively cheap with a narrower range of values. But it's amazing to me.

Whatnot has enough folks that are gambling addicts and/or have a horrible command of statistics that you should have a hard time not making money. I've seen people paying $15+ for a 1 in 5 chance of winning a generic 1 oz silver round and a 4 in 5 chance of winning a 1g silver bar.

• Options

I’m just going to leave this here without comment lol.

• Options

@jeffas1974 said:

VB is huge on Whatnot. People love box breaks. Cases of them get opened there.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@jeffas1974 said:

VB is huge on Whatnot. People love box breaks. Cases of them get opened there.

For sure. I’ve got to imagine that the next release on whatnot will be crazy with a bidder scoring the 1893-s on this one.

• Options
    BeattyBeatty Posts: 17 ✭✭

I don't think is something a reputable TPG should get involved with.

• Options

@Beatty said:
    I don't think is something a reputable TPG should get involved with.

Feel free to boycott NGC and PCGS.

But people love the box breaks and mystery boxes. I'm not sure what is disreputable about giving the people what they want. They are breaking boxes and selling mystery boxes 24/7 on Whatnot.

• Options

There definitely was a lot of energy going on last night on that stream and it was crazy when the seller ended it by giving the high bidder a free VB that contained 1893-S in the pic above being pulled.

• Options

@jeffas1974 said:
    There definitely was a lot of energy going on last night on that stream and it was crazy when the seller ended it by giving the high bidder a free VB that contained 1893-S in the pic above being pulled.

I've popped into a few breaks. It's not really my thing. But they are definitely lively and fun. It is infectious. I find myself rooting for people to win.

I may try running some over the summer. They'll be cheaper with $25 bottoms, maybe $40 or $50 averages and maybe 1/10 gold to prizes. It'll be fun.

I'd love to do an ancient coin break but I need a source for slabs. I've never tried to buy those in bulk.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file