Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS competition for VaultBox - Ultra Breaks

Comments

• Options
    BucketHeadBucketHead Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

My first thought was about those posts that said PCGS would never do something like this. I wonder if any of them will comment on this thread?

Dude. Didn’t they slab a cricket?

• Options
    dollarfandollarfan Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

Guys it is official. The horse is dead. Let the horse rest in peace.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2023 4:30PM

@NJCoin said:

@fathom said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@fathom said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ProofCollection said:
    I understand some of the collectible labels that someone might want to put together a Mercanti set or a Moy set and even the labels denoting an event or a release. But why anyone would be compelled to pay decent money to have the one of three infinity label from a "Franklin-mint-esque" company is beyond me. I think the Vault Box business model is valid. But Ultrabreaks, I just don't see it catching on unless this concept evolves somehow. But I always seem to be wrong about these things.

Well, I think they are counting more on the PCGS label than the company itself. Frankly, I think the PCGS role here is more dubious than the NGC/VB connection. NGC is using a custom slab and packing the boxes, but the enticement is supposed to be the rare coin not the label. PCGS is literally just allowing this guy to sell the label. He must be a bigger wig than I think

B-I-N-G-O!!!! How do you have the nerve to post this immediately after your preceding post with a straight face? Was VB really selling a limited edition label, or rare coins seeded in a few boxes at inflated premiums? Both? 🤣🤣🤣

If so, the label is sure not what got Freddie all excited, based on his reaction to the current offering!

VB was selling both. The distinction between my two posts is rooted in two different corporate entities. NGC/PCGS and VB/UB. I have no problem with either box seller. But people conflate NGC with VB and even suggested that PCGS would never do such a thing. [Like they don't always have custom labels. ]

VB has the possibility of a high value coin. It's not just a custom label. [I don't put much stock in either label, mind you, but some people do ] Ultra Break has nothing to offer but the label which is, apparently, a gift from PCGS.

Can you see the difference yet?

Edited to add: in theory, VB could use standard labels or raw coins and still have a product. UB only had a product if PCGS gifts them one.

A few things:

From the initial description, the collectible labels from this retail venture will be a very small release. The VB labels will be common.

The margin spread is less between the markup and the coin/label value, because there are no grandiose prizes. Therefore the risk to the average buyer is much less. In other words, its less of an overcharge.

Finally, is the hobby really interested in the coalescence of numismatics and compulsive gambling?

A few responses to a few things:

1. The VB labels were in the hundreds to a couple thousand. The base label here is in the hundreds. We're talking about a factor of 2 to 5, depending on series. Were there not only 1200 VB3 against 600 UB1?
    2. The margin spread is NOT significantly lower. You are paying $250 for $130 coin. The price point for VB3 was $229 with the cheapest coin being about $80 and most of the coins over $100.
    3. Obviously so, otherwise the U.S. Mint would not be in the collectible coin business and TPGs would not be raking in profits from people submitting common coins looking for uncommon grades.

Have you seen the "Bounty Sets" in VB? That's an interesting way to drive interest. It's now a lottery with a scavenger hunt!!!

No I havent seen the bounty sets, I'm not really actively following. But I am sure without a doubt they are going to be looking for unique ways to increase the margins by temptation and risk.

The bounties are a clever way to artificially stimulate secondary market interest by offering "bounties" for specific collections of VB coins.

Similar to the idea behind VB (i.e., get people to pay above market for random coins in the hope of scoring a valuable one), the idea now is to get people to chase limited edition slabs, of limited value, so that a few can collect a prize if they successfully complete the scavenger hunt.

Again, many play, most lose, a few win. If it works, it creates a floor under something that otherwise has little value, if any, over and above the coin itself.

You mean like registry sets: get people to pay $30 to slab $5 coins so their sets are competitive...

Sooo many people having fun wrong. Do the Fun Police get a pension?

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

.> @ctf_error_coins said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@ctf_error_coins said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@cameonut2011 said:
    I miss the days when the majority of hobbyists were coin collectors and not plastic speculators or gamblers.

Plastic is more recent, but there were always speculators and gamblers.

. I guess I should say I miss the state of the hobby prior to the registry sets.

Major error coin collectors do not have to deal with registry sets, CAC, VB, UB, gradeflation, nor common coins ;)<3>:):D

So? Some of us think error coins aren't worth our money, time and energy so there is that.😂🤣

I have taken advantage of that mindset to my financial benefit so many times.

Just like I have with W quarters. Again, so what? 🤔

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2023 5:26PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@fathom said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@fathom said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ProofCollection said:
    I understand some of the collectible labels that someone might want to put together a Mercanti set or a Moy set and even the labels denoting an event or a release. But why anyone would be compelled to pay decent money to have the one of three infinity label from a "Franklin-mint-esque" company is beyond me. I think the Vault Box business model is valid. But Ultrabreaks, I just don't see it catching on unless this concept evolves somehow. But I always seem to be wrong about these things.

Well, I think they are counting more on the PCGS label than the company itself. Frankly, I think the PCGS role here is more dubious than the NGC/VB connection. NGC is using a custom slab and packing the boxes, but the enticement is supposed to be the rare coin not the label. PCGS is literally just allowing this guy to sell the label. He must be a bigger wig than I think

B-I-N-G-O!!!! How do you have the nerve to post this immediately after your preceding post with a straight face? Was VB really selling a limited edition label, or rare coins seeded in a few boxes at inflated premiums? Both? 🤣🤣🤣

If so, the label is sure not what got Freddie all excited, based on his reaction to the current offering!

VB was selling both. The distinction between my two posts is rooted in two different corporate entities. NGC/PCGS and VB/UB. I have no problem with either box seller. But people conflate NGC with VB and even suggested that PCGS would never do such a thing. [Like they don't always have custom labels. ]

VB has the possibility of a high value coin. It's not just a custom label. [I don't put much stock in either label, mind you, but some people do ] Ultra Break has nothing to offer but the label which is, apparently, a gift from PCGS.

Edited to add: in theory, VB could use standard labels or raw coins and still have a product. UB only had a product if PCGS gifts them one.

A few things:

From the initial description, the collectible labels from this retail venture will be a very small release. The VB labels will be common.

The margin spread is less between the markup and the coin/label value, because there are no grandiose prizes. Therefore the risk to the average buyer is much less. In other words, its less of an overcharge.

Finally, is the hobby really interested in the coalescence of numismatics and compulsive gambling?

1. The VB labels were in the hundreds to a couple thousand. The base label here is in the hundreds. We're talking about a factor of 2 to 5, depending on series. Were there not only 1200 VB3 against 600 UB1?
    2. The margin spread is NOT significantly lower. You are paying $250 for $130 coin. The price point for VB3 was $229 with the cheapest coin being about $80 and most of the coins over $100.
    3. Obviously so, otherwise the U.S. Mint would not be in the collectible coin business and TPGs would not be raking in profits from people submitting common coins looking for uncommon grades.

Have you seen the "Bounty Sets" in VB? That's an interesting way to drive interest. It's now a lottery with a scavenger hunt!!!

No I havent seen the bounty sets, I'm not really actively following. But I am sure without a doubt they are going to be looking for unique ways to increase the margins by temptation and risk.

The bounties are a clever way to artificially stimulate secondary market interest by offering "bounties" for specific collections of VB coins.

Similar to the idea behind VB (i.e., get people to pay above market for random coins in the hope of scoring a valuable one), the idea now is to get people to chase limited edition slabs, of limited value, so that a few can collect a prize if they successfully complete the scavenger hunt.

Again, many play, most lose, a few win. If it works, it creates a floor under something that otherwise has little value, if any, over and above the coin itself.

You mean like registry sets: get people to pay $30 to slab $5 coins so their sets are competitive...

Yup. Except, grading companies only do that to support their grading businesses.

They are not going out of their way to create an artificial market for the coins, and do not directly benefit when one develops. Night and day, but sure, just like registry sets, because they both involve coins, slabs and money.

• Options

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@fathom said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@fathom said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ProofCollection said:

A few things:

>

"They are not going out of their way to create an artificial market for the coins, and do not directly benefit when one develops."

This sentence is silly. They are not going out of their way to create an artificial market? They went out of their way to create the whole market for registry coins. And they absolutely benefit when it developed because it generated submissions that otherwise never would have been submitted. It's exactly the same.

• Options
    edited September 6, 2023 1:55PM

For those that care I just received this email update:

UltraBreaks packs will be available for purchase on our website at

12:00 PM EST on September 8

https://ultrabreaks.com/products/ultrabreaks-peace-and-morgan-pcgs-ms70-pack-series

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:

https://ultrabreaks.com/products/ultrabreaks-peace-and-morgan-pcgs-ms70-pack-series

Do they have a HHL? It's not really clear

• Options
    RiveraFamilyCollectRiveraFamilyCollect Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2023 2:03PM

I am more interested in seeing the secondary market for the UB labels. I read this market strategy as an attempt to establish a label market like "educating consumers" but it also smells a bit like "Creating a problem" IE more labels to collect. Will it work? I would guess no but VB has had three runs of a product I consider predatory so who knows Bizarro rules seem to work now-a-days.

Very curious to see where this goes. Especially after the 600 packs sell out. Also in it for the entertainment value of defensive VB posters express what "some of us" think.

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

Do they have a HHL? It's not really clear

Dude, the website reeks of newbieizm (yes, I made that up🤣😂).

Interesting how they are having a pregame show on WhatNot tomorrow night.....where have we seen that before?🤔😂🤣

It appears they have no clue of what's about to happen to them. If indeed there is high demand as some believe this will be a website crash for sure followed by a bunch of unhappy, whiny customers who were shut out before they could get one in their cart, complaining there was no HHL so they could buy JUST one etc....

I have to wonder why they only made 600 packs. Perhaps they agree with me that there may not be enough interest to sell out a mere 600?🤔🤣😂

I am definitely making popcorn for this show!😂🤣

• Options
    lsicalsica Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭

Ben the Coin Geek has a very funny video about VBs for his premium subscribers on YouTube

Philately will get you nowhere....
  • Options

@RiveraFamilyCollect said:
    I am more interested in seeing the secondary market for the UB labels. I read this market strategy as an attempt to establish a label market like "educating consumers" but it also smells a bit like "Creating a problem" IE more labels to collect. Will it work? I would guess no but VB has had three runs of a product I consider predatory so who knows Bizarro rules seem to work now-a-days.

Very curious to see where this goes. Especially after the 600 packs sell out. Also in it for the entertainment value of defensive VB posters express what "some of us" think.

Defensive? We don't care what you think. We've heard it all. And this "VB poster" is just fine with UB. I like anything new.

• Options

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

Defensive? We don't care what you think. We've heard it all. And this "VB poster" is just fine with UB. I like anything new.

Yeah! What he said!🤣😂

• Options
    jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

I’m surprised that CoinsTV isn’t selling these on their stream on whatnot tomorrow but instead letting another streamer auction off 5 for the kickoff date.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll try for 1. But only for a quick flip.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    I'll try for 1. But only for a quick flip.

Good luck with that. Please provide updates...😎

• Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭

This one is interesting. Instant credibility by being backed by PCGS. The floor is set a little higher than what’s offered by VB. Labels already out there have a premium- example: 2009 UHR $20 - blue label, gold foil, ASG signature. I will probably sit on the fence for UB1 and watch what happens. I would imagine UB2 will be the proof versions and I would probably get one of those.

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PhillyJoe said:
    This one is interesting. Instant credibility by being backed by PCGS. The floor is set a little higher than what’s offered by VB. Labels already out there have a premium- example: 2009 UHR $20 - blue label, gold foil, ASG signature. I will probably sit on the fence for UB1 and watch what happens. I would imagine UB2 will be the proof versions and I would probably get one of those.

Already showing in the PCGS 'pop report'.

Examples: 928391, and 928392.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2023 1:36PM

On Ebay now.... :# ....have they been released..... B)

• Options
    RiveraFamilyCollectRiveraFamilyCollect Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2023 2:09PM

@Bullsitter said:

No they go on sale on 9/8 at 12:00 EST. This is a bad look, they distributed packs early, and the early packs are winners packs? Smells rotten.

P.S. This could be an attempt to set the price for the market very high.

• Options

Why would anyone pay $280 for the losing grade when you can have a 11% chance to not lose for $250?
    eBay is a funny place.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2023 2:25PM

I would have to wonder if these would violate any laws against lotteries, whether state laws or ebay rules, or if maybe this is a technical exception to those kinds of policies. To be clear I'm talking about when buying an unopened one. Obviously opened units are known quantities.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

No they go on sale on 9/8 at 12:00 EST. This is a bad look, they distributed packs early, and the early packs are winners packs? Smells rotten.

There are a number of them going on sale in a few minutes.

• Options

• Options

@jeffas1974 said:

Yup. He is breaking them now and selling g the open ones.🙄

• Options
    edited September 7, 2023 3:02PM

Where is the outrage from the members who freaked out when the EXACT same thing happened with VB Series 1?😲🤔😂🤣

• Options

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shockingly this is an even poorer investment than Vaultbox. I thought we had already scraped the bottom of the barrel but wow…

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:
    Shockingly this is an even poorer investment than Vaultbox. I thought we had already scraped the bottom of the barrel but wow…

VaultBox was never an INVESTMENT it was a gamble. This is the same if you care about the ultimate prize. Not rocket science 🙄

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

NOW it's starting to look like VB. 🤣🤣🤣

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2023 4:04PM

Are these advanced release pieces.... B)

• Options
    edited September 7, 2023 4:06PM

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    Where is the outrage from the members who freaked out when the EXACT same thing happened with VB Series 1?😲🤔😂🤣

This is different. It's a label they are manufacturing. If people want to chase them, and give them value, they should have at it.

Very different from VB sticking a $20,000 coin in a box, with a black box distribution scheme, and then overcharging for the shot at the $20K by implying that the losing boxes will be worth more than they are. Anyway, that's where my outrage went. I can't speak for others.

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

This is definitely not a good look. Does anyone know the seller or how they might be connected to UltraBreaks?

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oooh, that's not good. Not good at all.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BucketHead said:

My first thought was about those posts that said PCGS would never do something like this. I wonder if any of them will comment on this thread?

Not officially. It was in the office, caught, and encapsulated by a private party.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

@ProofCollection said:
    I would have to wonder if these would violate any laws against lotteries, whether state laws or ebay rules, or if maybe this is a technical exception to those kinds of policies. To be clear I'm talking about when buying an unopened one. Obviously opened units are known quantities.

Of course, they do. But nobody cares. I said VB was a lottery too.

-----Burton
  • Options

@cameonut2011 said:

Never think you've reached the bottom. Somebody can always make it a little lower in quality.

-----Burton
  • Options

@NJCoin said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

This is different. It's a label they are manufacturing. If people want to chase them, and give them value, they should have at it.

Very different from VB sticking a $20,000 coin in a box, with a black box distribution scheme, and then overcharging for the shot at the $20K by implying that the losing boxes will be worth more than they are. Anyway, that's where my outrage went. I can't speak for others.

There's that hypocrisy... there was ONE video on VB1 and an early sale through the card company and you wrote 10,000 words on VB and got every thread shut down. This is even worse with slabs all over the place before the release date and you say "ho hum".

The good news is that VB and UB both have more credibility!

Let the fun continue.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

There's that hypocrisy... there was ONE video on VB1 and an early sale through the card company and you wrote 10,000 words on VB and got every thread shut down. This is even worse with slabs all over the place before the release date and you say "ho hum".

Let the fun continue.

Can't wait for tomorrow's release! Got the microwave popcorn ready for popping!😎

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

Let the fun continue.

Can't wait for tomorrow's release! Got the microwave popcorn ready for popping!😎

I just counted at least nine currently listed for sale on ebay. Are there going to be any left for tomorrow's release? :D

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like if you really want one, the odds are pretty good:

https://ultrabreaks.com/

UltraBreaks said
    UltraBreaks are a thrilling and unique way to collect rare and certified coins. Inspired by the excitement of opening packs of trading cards, each UltraBreaks pack contains a limited edition Ultra coin certified by PCGS featuring one of three stunning labels.

Rare Labels: Each pack contains a stunning PCGS MS70 Ultra coin. One in 10 packs features an Ultra Gold Rush Label. Only one in 100 contains the elusive Ultra Infinity Label.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:

@BucketHead said:

Not officially. It was in the office, caught, and encapsulated by a private party.

Obviously, it wasn't done officially but by saying "private party", you make it sound like it was done by someone who wasn't a PCGS employee which we know isn't the case.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options

I picked up three via the WhatNot auction last night (at least it was night for me here in the UK). I ended up with two Peace Dollars and a Morgan Dollar - all Ultra label. Was hoping for one of the rarer ones, but it is what it is...was exciting to watch them being opened live. They were also selling the unopened packets, but they went too quickly for me. I will post images when they arrive. Not likely to be for a few weeks I suspect (US to UK postage). I know I have probably lost money on these, but they are interesting and something cool to hold onto.

Currently looking for Proof Half Sovereigns…….

• Options

@Vandaleak_Collection said:
    I picked up three via the WhatNot auction last night (at least it was night for me here in the UK). I ended up with two Peace Dollars and a Morgan Dollar - all Ultra label. Was hoping for one of the rarer ones, but it is what it is...was exciting to watch them being opened live. They were also selling the unopened packets, but they went too quickly for me. I will post images when they arrive. Not likely to be for a few weeks I suspect (US to UK postage). I know I have probably lost money on these, but they are interesting and something cool to hold onto.

Ultimately, that is what this hobby is all about. Collect what YOU like and buy what you want at a price that you are willing to pay.

I hope you enjoy your coins!😎

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@Vandaleak_Collection said:

Ultimately, that is what this hobby is all about. Collect what YOU like and buy what you want at a price that you are willing to pay.

I hope you enjoy your coins!😎

This is exactly correct. It was exciting to buy a modern Peace/Morgan in this way! I know it is a total gimmick, but there is enough interest for me to have chased on these ones!

Currently looking for Proof Half Sovereigns…….

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file