Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which is the coin for you?

jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

1797 half dollar… MS66 and (I assume) the finest known

Or this 1794 dollar… MS62 (Bass)

I am assuming equal value based on current price guide…
( If in reality the valuation of this particular 1794 dollar is way under or over the value of the
1797 half, please, for the sake of this hypothetical exercise, adjust the dollar to one that is the correct grade/eye appeal to match value with the half..)

Comments

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

The half. 96-97 halves are some of my favorite coins. I'll probably never own one though

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both spectacular coins. :o
    I would also go with the half.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭

The half catches my eye; the color on the $ looks washed out. Of course, that being said, I would take either one if I had the $$$.

imageimage

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭

I'll take them both. Please mail ASAP. Thanks.

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely the half dollar. I usually shy away from toned coins, but that half is spectacular.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

Personally the half dollar. Historically speaking the 1794 dollar is more valuable (not monetarily, just history wise), but you can't beat that gorgeous luster and toning.

• Options

@CalifornianKing said:
    Personally the half dollar. Historically speaking the 1794 dollar is more valuable (not monetarily, just history wise), but you can't beat that gorgeous luster and toning.

Here are some very ballpark stats from our hosts..
    Both coins have an estimated 150 in existence.
    The 1797 half in VF30...$100,000
    MS66...$2,000,000
    1704 dollar in G4...$100,000
    MS62...$2,000,000

The 1704 dollar is iconic to say the least, the 1797 (or 1796) half is also a true dream coin for classic coin nuts...
    As you can see, your $100,000 (or $2,000,000) will get you a substantially nicer specimen with the half dollar, along with an example of a very rare type...but c'mon, it's a 1794 dollar!

Comes down to personal preference as always... me, I'm going with the 1796 or 1797 half at whatever grade.
    I'll just get a nice 1795 $ as well and be just as happy..😀

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Half dollar everytime. The 1794 Dollar probably looks ugly in hand. But both would be very pleasing to own.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another vote for the half!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect dollars, so put me down for the amazingly well struck 1794.

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dollar for me.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1797 half dollar is amazing, but the fact that the 1794 dollar was from the first issue of U.S. Dollars, I'd have to go with that one because of the history.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a choice that extends beyond the realm of my financial capabilities and does not even register as a decision I will ever need to make. I would rather comment on those coins that fall within my budget or where thoughts posted have the potential to make a difference

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

The half… hands down. Gorgeous example.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2023 3:07PM

I like the design and eye appeal of the draped bust half better, but I would still take the flowing hair dollar due to its large size and its age. 1794 is a super rare year, Especially in mintstate!! First year of dollars!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

@jacrispies said:
    Half dollar everytime. The 1794 Dollar probably looks ugly in hand. But both would be very pleasing to own.

Well now that you mention it, either one Would be pleasing to own...🤗

@coinkat said:
    This is a choice that extends beyond the realm of my financial capabilities and does not even register as a decision I will ever need to make. I would rather comment on those coins that fall within my budget or where thoughts posted have the potential to make a difference

Ah, c'mon fella!
    Dare to dream...Stranger things have happened!

• Options

Stranger things have happened and are often ignored in favor of what really fails to pass the straight face test.

• Options

@coinkat said:
    Stranger things have happened and are often ignored in favor of what really fails to pass the straight face test.

I was just about to hit the agree button... but I can't quite figure out what I'm agreeing with?
    🤔

But at any rate these are 2 mega amazing coins, either of which I'd be proud to own, it really is a coin toss but once again, I'd prefer the half for the very reason that I has that super awesome 1/2 fraction on the reverse!

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my!

The half!! <3<3<3

Or the dollar. Or both!!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

Think about it for a few moments... readers' digest condensed version

The coins you cited are close to 230 years old- neither are within the probable budget most that are fortunate enough to have a coin budget. I see these coins that you have asked me to choose...which is the coin for me... is just not predicated in my reality or the reality of collectors in general. And I am fine with that until the choice to be made is at the expense of something that just might be better. I am not compelled to choose between these two because there is an ocean of great coins to choose from. Not to kick a dead horse, but the two you selected are just not within the reach of ordinary people. So let the discussion start from what is possible within the realm of the vast majority of other collectors. I like what I can afford. I enjoy the art, history and design from various periods in WORLD HISTORY. There is so much to choose from that is ignored at the expense of greatness that is under appreciated in favor of what is just not possible.

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

$

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

1797 MS66

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

@coinkat said:
    Think about it for a few moments... readers' digest condensed version

The coins you cited are close to 230 years old- neither are within the probable budget most that are fortunate enough to have a coin budget. I see these coins that you have asked me to choose...which is the coin for me... is just not predicated in my reality or the reality of collectors in general. And I am fine with that until the choice to be made is at the expense of something that just might be better. I am not compelled to choose between these two because there is an ocean of great coins to choose from. Not to kick a dead horse, but the two you selected are just not within the reach of ordinary people. So let the discussion start from what is possible within the realm of the vast majority of other collectors. I like what I can afford. I enjoy the art, history and design from various periods in WORLD HISTORY. There is so much to choose from that is ignored at the expense of greatness that is under appreciated in favor of what is just not possible.

Can't argue with that.
    As a matter of fact, you're preaching to the choir.
    It's been a parade of unusual and under appreciated coins from me for years around here... collector of great coins I most certainly am not.
    But like many who've been bitten by the bust half bug, my thoughts occasionally wander to the years 1796 and 1797...two simple dates that, as you say, are outside the probable budget of many of us.
    But as I say, dare to dream.
    Stranger things..

• Options
    msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

I'm more of a type collector, so the 1797 Half would be my choice. The 1796-97 Half with the small eagle is a unique type with no cheap alternative. While it would be amazing to own a 1794 dollar, a 1795 fills the type for a fraction of the cost.

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

1797 Half.
    It is an absolutely stunning design. It looks to have a better relief and details. The overall quality of the design is superior to the 1794.
    The hair and fabric details seem come alive.
    The toning is beautiful and gives the design such depth and character that it makes the 1794 look flat, dull, and lifeless in comparison.
    Both are amazing coins though.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

First one.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends how hat they actually look like in hand. The half seems to have more potential eye appeal tho.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the Half. You just do not see 18th century coins that rare in that condition.

It's a coin that really should not exist

• Options
    edited August 25, 2023 11:20AM

@fathom said:
    I think the Half. You just do not see 18th century coins that rare in that condition.

It's a coin that really should not exist

That's kind of what I was thinking...
    Even with a tiny number surviving, there seem to be some gorgeous, high grade specimens out there.
    I guess the same can be said for the 1794..

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2023 11:25AM

GHas to be the 1/2, the dollar has a finger print on it….now if that was George Washington’s or Thomas Jefferson’s fidget print that would be different! Whose partial print is that?

• Options
    fluffy155fluffy155 Posts: 231 ✭✭✭✭

I really do like the half, but would have to go with the dollar. That particular specimen was in an NGC MS61 holder (not sure where it is now) and would probably bring much less than the 1797. A better comparison would be the Virgil Brand or Miller pieces which I consider more attractive, and are probably closer in value to the half.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file