Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If I was the house, and made $7k on your bid, I would include free shipping.

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wouldn't you?

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fully agree. Even if less than $7000 should include free shipping.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends, we talking about truck axles here?

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I assumed we were talking one coin. 😁

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NJCoin said:
    And yet none of them do, because they don't have to. Apparently, people paying 10-20% buyer's premiums are also willing to pay shipping. It all goes into the cost of the coin for them, so there is no reason for an auction house to eat it, even though they certainly can. The same can be said for TPGs, given what they charge non-bulk submitters for an opinion and a slab.

Unfortunately, this is true.

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 668 ✭✭✭✭

@ 25% they just might pay for shipping.........nah, they will charge for it.

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 668 ✭✭✭✭

And consumers get all pissy when a licensed real estate agent/broker asks for 6% (less their expenses).

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

For a $35k coin, what's another buck ? :open_mouth:

• Options

No truck axles - US Coin Forum. :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's called
    American Greed!

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

I kind of gave up on Heritage (and others) when they kept bumping up the buyers premium. I'll gladly pay the shipping but 20% usually puts the purchase price beyond my comfort zone. I still pop in and try to steal a deal once in a while but too many are willing to press prices higher despite fees so don't expect things to change any time soon..

Mark

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always been perplexed by the more you spend/buy the more you pay in shipping/postage conundrum….it should be just the opposite…

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:
    On the other hand, why not turn that $7000 into $7050 instead of $6975?

This

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're just lucky they don't make you come in to pick it up >:)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have become more used to a world of free shipping with things like Amazon and ebay often offering this. However shipping and insurance still costs money. I don't know of any auctioneers that ship free. Or takes no-questions returns as many retailers also do.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Things could be worse...

I just won an artwork in an auction and the buyer's premium is 31%.

I've opted to drive 2 1/2 hours each way to pick it up because if I have UPS ship it the total cost of fees and shipping would exceed the bid price.

(Luckily I got a good deal on it).

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I was in a position to buy an item where the buyer’s premium is $7k, I certainly wouldn’t make a tone-deaf post about the comparatively negligible costs to safely deliver it.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    If I was in a position to buy an item where the buyer’s premium is $7k, I certainly wouldn’t make a tone-deaf post about the comparatively negligible costs to safely deliver it.

That $7K indicates a $35K purchase - $42K all in. So the 50 smacks for shipping is less than one eighth of one percent of the price. Yet it still has the power to sour the purchase for the buyer.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2023 6:10AM

You agree to the terms and conditions when you bid.

You also have NO IDEA what the auction house made on the coin. If it was a premium coin, they could have given the consignor 110%, 115%, even 120% of the hammer. [Though the latter is very rare. ]

That said, the billing is automatic and handled by computer. They do not review each bill.

Have you ever called and asked? I have. I bought a lot of 100 tiny medieval coins. The software treated them as 100 coins and charged $75 shipping. [8 ounce shipping weight.] I contacted them and they reduced it to $10.79

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    I still can’t understand why people are fixated on the buyers premium as a buyer. You can’t afford coins because of the buyers premium, really? Bidders bid a net number!

Agree about the net number.. the reason I haven't purchased at Heritage in a number of years... But it IS almost always the added 20% that puts the price over the top and keeps me from raising bids (and winning). Nearly all of my purchases come from local dealers. As you are probably aware, we have a good number of dealers and shows in the Southeast Michigan area.

Mark

• Options
    edited August 21, 2023 6:26AM

@mark_dak said:

@Boosibri said:
    I still can’t understand why people are fixated on the buyers premium as a buyer. You can’t afford coins because of the buyers premium, really? Bidders bid a net number!

Agree about the net number.. the reason I haven't purchased at Heritage in a number of years... But it IS almost always the added 20% that puts the price over the top and keeps me from raising bids (and winning). Nearly all of my purchases come from local dealers. As you are probably aware, we have a good number of dealers and shows in the Southeast Michigan area.

Mark

Really depends. I source wholesale from Heritage or Stack's. Things do slip through. 2 weeks ago, for example, I bought an ounce of gold for $1870 all in, including shipping. 3 weeks ago I paid $2253 for a comic that I sold to another dealer for $2500 before I even got it.

Like anything, it's all about the price point. Depending on what it is, the dealer you bought it from might have gotten it from Heritage or Stack's.

[Wby is everyone assuming it's HA?]

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@mark_dak said:

@Boosibri said:

Mark

Really depends. I source wholesale from Heritage or Stack's. Things do slip through. 2 weeks ago, for example, I bought an ounce of gold for $1870 all in, including shipping. 3 weeks ago I paid $2253 for a comic that I sold to another dealer for $2500 before I even got it.

Like anything, it's all about the price point. Depending on what it is, the dealer you bought it from might have gotten it from Heritage or Stack's.

[Wby is everyone assuming it's HA?]

I agree. Your point is well taken because occasionally something will pass through at a decent price. I've purchased from both Stacks and Heritage in the past with all in prices close to what you mention. I guess it was much easier to find a deal at 15% (Believe it was actually 17.5% on this one). At 20% plus shipping I found I can do better, easier locally. I also get to have the coin in hand which beats website pictures. While it's nothing overly exciting, here's one I can think of that I still own:

Mark

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

You also have NO IDEA what the auction house made on the coin. If it was a premium coin, they could have given the consignor 110%, 115%, even 120% of the hammer. [Though the latter is very rare. ]

That said, the billing is automatic and handled by computer. They do not review each bill.

Have you ever called and asked? I have. I bought a lot of 100 tiny medieval coins. The software treated them as 100 coins and charged $75 shipping. [8 ounce shipping weight.] I contacted them and they reduced it to $10.79

I agree ...hearing some houses pay 110% or 115% of hammer really puts a crimp on what the auction house got from that lot.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bochiman said:

ive heard of that (local pick up only) whatever wercs for you

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

A free shipping policy is usually given to cultivate or pursue a loyal customer base.

When you are signing up Simpson or Bass you have a captive audience.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shipping is not free. It costs money.

You bid on an item knowing that shipping is not free.

Why should it be free?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know a couple of dealers who will do that if you pay them with a check and not a credit card.

Checks seem to be very fashioned these days.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ctf_error_coins said:

Why should it be free?

Agreed. I have no problem reimbursing an auction house for actual shipping costs.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ctf_error_coins said:

Why should it be free?

Why have free shipping when they know you are going to buy it from them anyway? Given some of the shipping charges, I dare say it's probably another profit center for the auction house.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2023 11:22AM

@Boosibri said:

This!! I often have “discussions” with clients and friends about this issue. It’s not 20% more cost to the buyer. It’s 20% less to the SELLER! We know the fee going in. So for us to buy a coin in auction for $1000, we bid $800. The seller is the one who gets 800, the buyer gets his coin for 1000. Shipping is another issue, that is what it costs to have hired employees to sort and ship the coins. It does seem high, but there is insurance, a whole department of employees, etc. Auctions are better because of it, especially on higher end items.

Truthfully, buyers premium is not an extra charge, it is known beforehand. Figure your bid minus 20% and that is what coins often sell for.

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2023 12:08PM

I hate adding a comment right under my own, but I think this deserves merit. As a seller of a coin, if you showed me (a buyer) a recent comp price, and I said, well that sold for 1000, but the seller got 800, would the seller be happy to sell then at 800 instead of 1000. I think that would go “against the grain” more than the 20% buyers fee. But, it’s factually true. Just a thought.

Though this was about shipping more than buyers fee. Sorry to derail the thread a bit.

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Boosibri said:

Because they can see it. Walmart has a 40% buyers premium but it's hidden so no one complains.

I've learned in my service business to just put one number down on an invoice and put "includes all parts, materials, labor and warranty". The second I break anything down I get phone calls even though the price is the same no matter how we fill it out.

• Options

I'm not criticizing anyone for charging me shipping - the $111 isn't a big deal and I agreed to the terms before bidding - - I'm just saying that's what I would do if I was running the company, in gratitude for your business.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bochiman said:

Don't give them any ideas.

• Options
    edited August 21, 2023 2:02PM

@Lakesammman said:
    I'm not criticizing anyone for charging me shipping - the $111 isn't a big deal and I agreed to the terms before bidding - - I'm just saying that's what I would do if I was running the company, in gratitude for your business.

Coins bought or any purchased for business are shipping free. In my business plan I cost for that. I ship myself, not a whole group to be paid. Shipping is not a cost that buyers have to worry about with my company. With that said, coin fatigue happens, and after working an auction so hard, just to see that 40 shipping charge….while it makes sense to me later, always “annoying” when I first see it on the bill

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:
    If you're buying a coin and the BP is 7k it sound sort of petty to be all pissy about a $50 shipping charge.

He said that the PROFIT was $7K.

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@Maywood said:
    If you're buying a coin and the BP is 7k it sound sort of petty to be all pissy about a $50 shipping charge.

And what would the profit be other than buyer or seller premiums for an auction house?

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2023 2:47PM

bid? > @BAJJERFAN said:

@Maywood said:

How could a winning bidder know how much “PROFIT” his bid brought to the auction house unless he knew the commission rate charged to the seller and how much less the coin would have brought without his bidding participation? My guess is that the “profit” attributed directly to the winning bidder was a small fraction of the stated amount. I’m sure the bid was very much appreciated, regardless of the amount of the profit.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Nobody is getting 115% of hammer anywhere unless they're a major, major client running 7 figures through regularly. 110% is rare enough and you better have multiple big boy coins to ask for that.

HA wouldn't go a hair over 100% of hammer for me about 3 years ago on a 4 coin, $25,000 consignment, for perspective.

I don't disagree. I also didn't really say anything different. Bottom line: you can't ever know what the house got unless you are privy to the consignment.

[Note: I'm assuming we're talking about a $35,000 coin here. So that is in the Big Boy category.]

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NewEnglandRarities said:

@Boosibri said:

This!! I often have “discussions” with clients and friends about this issue. It’s not 20% more cost to the buyer. It’s 20% less to the SELLER! We know the fee going in. So for us to buy a coin in auction for $1000, we bid $800. The seller is the one who gets 800, the buyer gets his coin for 1000. Shipping is another issue, that is what it costs to have hired employees to sort and ship the coins. It does seem high, but there is insurance, a whole department of employees, etc. Auctions are better because of it, especially on higher end items.

Truthfully, buyers premium is not an extra charge, it is known beforehand. Figure your bid minus 20% and that is what coins often sell for.

$1000 for an $800 coin is 25% juice. What figure establishes price guide for the coin? The $800 you bid or the $1000 that you ended up paying? If it was an $800 coin then one should have bid $667 in order to get for $800 including 20% juice. As a seller you know going in and accept that a place like Heritage is going to add a fee to the price that your coin hammers for. Maybe you could get more selling it in another venue?

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

And another thing....

The BP is not "profit". The auction house has expenses and bills to pay.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file