Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dress code?

Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭✭✭

First time to go to ANA Pittsburgh, what do people wear or is there a dress code?

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think next time I’ll go wearing a tuxedo t-shirt. Best of both worlds.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comfortable clothes.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2023 5:49AM

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭

From first hand experience:

I've dressed casual and semi-formal. In semi-formal attire I seemed to get better service and attention at tables. We all know that some of the wealthiest and more serious collectors may not have the sharpest appearance. It seems human nature that if you look the part, then assumptions are made.

In one case, I was serious about buying 5-6 figure coins at a table and was told to come back later. I was dressed very casual at the time. Granted, I'm in my 30s and was probably dressed like a 20 something at the time....which probably further contributed. They never got my business in that case.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zombie fingers and unkept fingernails are a must to complement the coin collector stereotype. 😂

Seriously - I say comfortable walking shoes/sneakers and decent looking clothes with deep pockets (coin and cash security in deep pockets).

I leave big shows with a sore neck from leaning over so much.

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't seen pants or shorts yet but one of those too would be appropriate.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you read the penny lady's show report threads? Most will have several examples of what others are wearing.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    A shirt with a mustard stain.

YES! lol

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dress up. This way, even if you're cheap, you won't look the part.

• Options
    Eighteen63Eighteen63 Posts: 124 ✭✭✭✭

Underpants without pants are just pants, aren’t they? Attend the show in your skivvies along with the mustard-stained shirt.

On the contrary, Google is not your friend.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking I could hide at least a seated liberty half or two in that half moon shot up above. No way to unsee that either!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    Any questions? 🤣 😂

crack kills

• Options
    mattnissmattniss Posts: 588 ✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    Any questions? 🤣 😂

Looks like VG details from an old cleaning. :D

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2023 10:51AM

@mattniss said:

@OAKSTAR said:
    Any questions? 🤣 😂

Looks like VG details from an old cleaning. :D

Die break or die crack?

Had to be wearing a tie dye shirt to boot.

Damn, can't unsee that!

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2023 1:42PM

Given the high temperatures in just about every part of U.S. this summer, shorts and a comfortable shirt are recommended. I always wear a shirt with buttons. When you want someone to take your check, it's a good idea not to look like a homeless person.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder if "tie-dye" is a member of this forum? Hope not.

• Options

@Nysoto said:
    Or you could revert back to an earlier time for ANA conventions of well-dressed, well-behaved ladies and gentlemen

That is from a bygone era when collars were detachable.

It reminds me of a lawn care service that advertises here in Florida. All of their employees, male and female, wear long sleeved shirts with ties in their ads.

Given that the "feel like" heat index down here is 105 to 110 degrees everyday, I will not be hiring that company. In addition to employee abuse, I don't want to be responsible for moving the body of a person who has passed out or died of heat stroke from my lawn.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Shirt pockets filled with hundred dollar bills.

Ha that is a good one! We went to an RV show a few years ago and as a joke I stuck a business size envelope in my shirt pocket and on the part sticking out wrote 'RV Down Payment Check' with a black Sharpie. Let me tell you, I was very popular with the sales folks!

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2023 12:13PM

I like going in a polo with a nicer pair of pants but wear comfortable gym shoes for all the walking. Usually carry a backpack with my laptop and cash for the larger shows.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2023 12:17PM

This is actually a good question. If most of the dealers there already know you, it probably doesn’t matter. If you aren’t looking to buy much, it probably doesn’t matter. If you are looking to do significant business, and you’re relatively unknown, I’d dress sharp, especially if you’re younger than 40. Either way, bring the mist comfortable shoes you own. Standing on concrete for 8 hours gets old pretty quickly. :)

A few other things. Guard your valuables, don’t carry around a rattling slab box in a backpack, don’t leave the show with your ID badge, etc.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw this article recently by haberdasher Roger Stone on how to dress nice without breaking the bank:
    https://rogerstone.substack.com/p/why-do-you-wear-what-you-wear-an

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

Lots of walking so I dress for comfort.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@BillJones said:
    I always wear a shit with buttons.

I hope that's a typo. :o;)

Yea, it was. It amazing how one letter makes all the difference. In the old days, the censorship program would have picked up on that. :o

• Options

@BryceM said:
    This is actually a good question. If most of the dealers there already know you, it probably doesn’t matter. If you aren’t looking to buy much, it probably doesn’t matter. If you are looking to do significant business, and** you’re relatively unknown, I’d dress sharp, especially if you’re younger than 40. E**ither way, bring the mist comfortable shoes you own. Standing on concrete for 8 hours gets old pretty quickly. :)

A few other things. Guard your valuables, don’t carry around a rattling slab box in a backpack, don’t leave the show with your ID badge, etc.

I wore a bright red sports coat to a New York City show when I was in my 20s. A dealer refused to show me a coin because he said I couldn't afford it. I guess red wasn't his color.

He was right though. After I got to know how he priced his material, he was right. I couldn't afford it. Others were selling the same thing for less.

• Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dress rich like you have a lot of money so they will always quote you top price. LOL

There is a dentist in my parts of the woods that for 30 plus years has dressed like a poor farmer.
    he is now bragging about all the great deals he got cause everyone though he was low on funds...

best advice be yourself and be comfortable....

• Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

Just don't wear shoes that hurt your feet, you'll be doing a lot of walking, and then going back to find the one coin that you really liked and cannot find the table, and when you do find it, the guy that was just there bought the coin you were after.

• Options

Have you ever gone hunting bear?
    No I always went with my clothes on.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    A shirt with a mustard stain.

2 posts in - that did not take long

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm wearing my new blue chiffon dress with black heels. Nothing too fancy!

LOL!

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

While not required, a nice pair of shorts, slacks or jeans and a collared shirt (like one would wear at a nice golf club) would probably give a good impression and get better service from dealers.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

What an enjoyable thread...as I sit here in Florida thinking that I need to pack for a 6am flight to Pittsburg. Lol, I have a crap load to do. Not sure if I will get much sleep.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭

Have fun to all those going. Still haven't made it to an ANA yet but will when it rolls back around to Chicago eventually. :smile:

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to curl my hair and wear my sisters clothes when I go to a show.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    Any questions? 🤣 😂

a lot actually, but not coin related.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2023 8:52PM

I like wearing a nice green polo shirt (color of money) and some black dress slacks when setting up.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    jerseybenjerseyben Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

I look younger than I am. I have learned to dress a little nicer than normal when going to a show. Otherwise, if dressed too casual, some dealers will not even look at you.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think as long as you cover your privates and don't smell badly, the rest won't matter.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

ok lets see the wardrobe.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file