Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

An Incredible New Coin Site Compliments of Ian Russell !

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:
    I am a moderator in the group CAC/CACG Coins. The group is a sister group of the 2500 member FB group of the same name. Given the importance of the MyCollect platform, we jumped at the chance to iterate over there. Eventually, MyCollect groups will become the primary platform for groups like ours, as it gives us all a tremendous amount of added value.

In the spirit of growth, we aim to be the first group with 1000 members. IF we are the first group to do so, we're going to be giving away this $20 CAC stickered saint (CPG retail $2,890) to one of those first 1000 people. All you have to do is sign up and join the group, and I would really appreciate if you all could help us get there! Who doesn't love free gold? 😅

Group Link --> https://www.mycollect.com/groups/caccoins

If you’re wondering why bother joining MyCollect besides a giveaway, we’ve written an article answering exactly that in much more detail here:

https://www.mycollect.com/blogs/8525/MyCollect-Why-Should-I-Join?fbclid=IwAR1WK3haPiJgx_Zm3GOhwjY8dcru_IbwFuhzhlwAGe9qH61MjnLjUkurSCM

That's really cool! I'm glad I signed up on Wednesday.
    A group I started was 3rd (non-official) to 100 members and I do not think we will catch you.
    Attractively Toned Coins - https://www.mycollect.com/groups/Attractively_Toned_Coins

There are bazillions of toned coins but I wanted to make sure there was a distinction between just a toned coin and attractively toned coins. When I browse through an auction that is called attractively toned coins and only find a dozen or less that really stand out as attractive, I think there is a disconnect.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alefzero said:
    Signed up when it was originally announced. Will be useful to me depending on how die variety declarations are integrated. I live in that space. It is not for everyone, but simple date, mintmark, and grade are useless to me. Have not had time to explore it much yet, but did try to register a coin and that was an issue for me.

I think you're going to like what we have planned for varieties.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options

Nice that it looks okay on a phone browser. Ian, please update great collections to do the same! Both should have mobile apps too, even if they just are wrappers around the website code.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2023 6:22PM

I just want to say that this site is exploding. It offers all of users a new venue.
    I joined as “woody”. Look me up.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

I joined. Also joined a couple groups,but can't figure out how to create a new post to these groups

• Options
    MarkerBMarkerB Posts: 14 ✭✭

@Farmer_Bill said:
    I joined. Also joined a couple groups,but can't figure out how to create a new post to these groups

Once you join a group, there's a small posting box above all the existing posts. It has your profile photo next to it, and a prompt of "What is on your mind?"

Just post your text and/or media there.

• Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Suggestion: There should be a website support / feedback group on the site so we don't need to clog up the PCGS forum.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2023 9:22PM

Agree that it would be considerate to discuss on MC moving forward, but one last thing before we migrate over there, while it’s fresh on my mind.

On Facebook we have the “approved seller” badge that reputable sellers earn. On the BST on CU forum, we list members we’ve done business with in our signature or in a bst post.

I’m thinking that a feature can be enabled, similar to a “friend request” where you send someone a “verification request” and the other account “confirms” a successful transaction. There could be an area on someone’s profile where you could view a list of other members they’ve done business with.

@ianrussell

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 710 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2023 10:32PM

Just love receiving all the friend requests from all the dealers, made my day. Now if I can only figure how to block them. Or maybe instead of calling it Mycollect it should be renamed MyfriendtheDealer.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    I started playing with it tonight. Looks like it's going to be fun. Imported by entire inventory by copying and pasting the cert number column from the PCGS registry exported CSV file. Took a while for them all to be active (600+ coins), but it was easy. I'll add the few NGC coins I have manually. I'd like to be able to import other columns (cost, comment, source, etc.). Importing all of my pictures will take a while. Now to take a look at the groups...

I did the same thing, piece of cake!

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started a Certified Lincoln Cents group on MyCollect if some of y'all would like to join. No parking lot roadkill, no PMD "errors" or "what is this raw circulated cent worth" nonsense, just PCGS, NGC, CACG, and ANACS certified Lincolns. Check it out! Thanks and kind regards, George

https://mycollect.com/groups/certified_lincoln_cents

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 569 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, once you leave the site, cancel your id, you can not go back again. The activation code does not come through, even to spam. Good luck with the site but I will pass it by, just more technology to deal with.

• Options
    EliteCollectionEliteCollection Posts: 150 ✭✭✭✭

What do you mean by cancel your ID? Did you delete your account?

• Options

@erscolo said:
    The activation code does not come through, even to spam.

I'm sorry you didn't receive your activation email. Please contact MyCollect customer support at https://www.mycollect.com/contacts and they can sort it out for you.

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just joined and I have 6 or 7 connections already (the4thcoin.com)... Can you guys stop sending me requests so I can figure out the site first? Lmao... Kidding of course. I assume some of those are from members here 😎

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 819 ✭✭✭✭✭

The email notices are annoying. I'll stick with Collective Coin. :)

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pedzola said:
    Suggestion: There should be a website support / feedback group on the site so we don't need to clog up the PCGS forum.

We added two new groups or suggestions and support, hope this helps!

https://www.mycollect.com/groups/mycollect.suggestions

https://www.mycollect.com/groups/mycollect.help

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

@FrankH said:

You didn't say which notices you found bothersome. Did you look at your notification preferences?
    https://www.mycollect.com/settings/notifications

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Signed up yesterday and I like what I've seen so far.

It would be nice to upload ANACS slabs into my inventory. I'd like to track my old ANACS soap bar holders in there along with my PCGS coins. There seems to be options to upload PCGS, CACG, NGC, NGCX and that's it. The "Other" tab doesn't appear to be active.

Also, are there plans to add auto-populating price guide values, (PCGS or NGC or GreySheet or all 3), for the coins loaded into inventories?

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've also joined and like what I see but based on the inventory that I've added thus far there are a number of valid PCGS/NGC certs (31 so far) that are not "eligible" for the registry sets I've started even though the same certs already occupy PCGS/NGC sets. I haven't seen any equivalent of a "Report a Cert That Should Match This Composite" like our host offers. Granted, the site is brand new and such issues will persist during the rollout.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FrankH said:

You can just turn those off.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe I'll join after I get banned here! LOL!!

Mark

• Options

@FlyingAl said:

@FrankH said:

You can just turn those off.

DANG !! So you can. So let it be written; so let it be DONE !! B)

• Options
    edited July 18, 2023 2:52PM

Does "My Inventory imply the coins are for sale?

I don't see any just plain showing off threads.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2023 3:51PM

@FrankH said:

The inventory is for registry sets and if you just want to use it for keeping a record of your coins. They have a button you click on if you want them to be available for selling and then it would let people know it’s for sell. To just show off coin pictures you can just upload images (just like here on this PCGS forum) without putting them into your inventory.

I only know that because I put some of my PCGS registry coins in my inventory over there yesterday to try it out.

Mr_Spud

• Options

@FrankH said:

No - and even calling it "My Inventory" was the subject of a meeting six months ago - I remember it well, since I lost. My team overruled me and insisted upon using the term My Inventory over "My Collectibles" or "My Coins". My Coins actually made the most sense, but we tried to do everything non-specific to just coins.

But that is just the area to keep your items - initially coins, but you will be able to add every collectible you have and organize neatly and efficiently.

From inventory - you can share coins with groups or your friends etc. Of course, you can also keep them private and only you can see them.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mark_dak said:

Mark

Slick is still here, isn't he? You're probably safe?

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

My thoughts:
    1. I don't really see the point other than perhaps a database that will allow coins from any TPG and maybe even raw to be listed. Some people will find that useful. I don't have time to maintain multiple inventory databases.
    2. "Competing" with PCGS collections against the (IMO) inferior TPGs will be impossible as equivalent grades from other TPGs are often a fraction of the cost of PCGS coins, especially NGC moderns. Unclear if it will support ANACS, SEGS, SGS, etc.
    3. Yet another site to dilute time and attention of those in this forum which will lead to declining participation and quality of content here (probably)
    4. Awkward/cheap website/domain name. MyCollect? Really? 'Collect' is a verb and can't have ownership. Bite the bullet and get a proper website name like Collect.com or MyCollection.com even if you have to spend a few dollars or use a different gTLD (.net, .us, .biz etc).
    5. The theft database is nice but would be better if it could be used without signing in.

I don't know how you guys do it but I don't have the bandwidth to join another site that doesn't offer much new. Pass.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

ProofCollection: As to your points 1-3, I have a reply I would like you to consider. I should have time to write it up later today.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

Thanks for your feedback @ProofCollection

I've added my comments below.

@ProofCollection said:
    My thoughts:
    1. I don't really see the point other than perhaps a database that will allow coins from any TPG and maybe even raw to be listed. Some people will find that useful. I don't have time to maintain multiple inventory databases.

We're aiming to add very useful inventory management features, plus it will work across all collectibles, from Sports Cards, Memorabilia, Movie Posters, Paper Money.

1. "Competing" with PCGS collections against the (IMO) inferior TPGs will be impossible as equivalent grades from other TPGs are often a fraction of the cost of PCGS coins, especially NGC moderns. Unclear if it will support ANACS, SEGS, SGS, etc.

Members can enter every item in their inventory for convenience - even off-brand holders and raw items with/without OGP. Off-brand holders like SGS, PCI, NTC etc. will not be counted in competitive MyCollect Sets.

1. Yet another site to dilute time and attention of those in this forum which will lead to declining participation and quality of content here (probably)

I don't think it will - we're aiming to expand the market in coins - and that will result in more people everywhere, not just on MyCollect, but here too. I expect to see threads shared between PCGS and MyCollect - in fact, we encourage people to post links to PCGS threads on MyCollect - the more discussion about coins, wherever it is, is better for our hobby.

1. Awkward/cheap website/domain name. MyCollect? Really? 'Collect' is a verb and can't have ownership. Bite the bullet and get a proper website name like Collect.com or MyCollection.com even if you have to spend a few dollars or use a different gTLD (.net, .us, .biz etc).

We want all feedback, positive and negative, except about the name MyCollect, since that was my idea. :smile:

Cheap? MyCollect.com was definitely not cheap. A lot of thought went into it - and give me some time - I might just change your opinion about the MyCollect name.

1. The theft database is nice but would be better if it could be used without signing in.

This was specifically a request from Doug Davis, as we had originally spec'd it as being open without registering. We are relying on his decades of expertise in this area to reduce fraud in our industry.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
  • Options

@FrankH said:

You can post to your newsfeed - and anyone who follows you will see. There's also a Group for:

Post Your Newps

• Ian
    Ian Russell
  • Options

@RobertScotLover said:
    Just love receiving all the friend requests from all the dealers, made my day. Now if I can only figure how to block them. Or maybe instead of calling it Mycollect it should be renamed MyfriendtheDealer.

Yeah, we did not predict that some members would friend huge numbers of other members that they might not know. We made a significant update to our system based on your feedback (and others who brought it up too). Thank you for mentioning.

This is what we announced last night:

From "The Day 6 Update at MyCollect"

>

1. Friend Request Maximums - we all like having friends, but since launching last week - some users were adding hundreds of friends that they did not know - causing new users to delete their accounts before they discovered the benefits of MyCollect.

As a result, we have implemented a limit of 100 friend requests that have not yet responded per member - and your individual limit is incrementally reduced if members reject your friend request.

You can still follow people with no limit. And frankly, if you don't know the person, that is the best practice anyway. Please only friend people you know.

Ian Russell
  • Options

@Cladiator said:
    Signed up yesterday and I like what I've seen so far.

It would be nice to upload ANACS slabs into my inventory. I'd like to track my old ANACS soap bar holders in there along with my PCGS coins. There seems to be options to upload PCGS, CACG, NGC, NGCX and that's it. The "Other" tab doesn't appear to be active.

Also, are there plans to add auto-populating price guide values, (PCGS or NGC or GreySheet or all 3), for the coins loaded into inventories?

ANACS is soon - they are looking into setting up a process to make it seamless, but their systems are not like PCGS's (sorry ANACS). We will enable the manual adding soon. I expect the manual adding of off-brand holders/raw coins/OGP etc. to be implemented in August.

And pricing - yes - we have a few different ideas about this.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ianrussell
    Where on the site can we make suggestions for sets etc?
    I joined the group Mycollect suggestions, but there is only one post. Wasn't sure if that was the best place.
    I think it would be nice to build custom non-competative sets. Example.
    I have a 1940 U.S. Mint set, but I also have many other world coins and tokens dated 1940 as part of my collection.

• Options

@ianrussell said:
    @FrankH said:

No - and even calling it "My Inventory" was the subject of a meeting six months ago - I remember it well, since I lost. My team overruled me and insisted upon using the term My Inventory over "My Collectibles" or "My Coins". My Coins actually made the most sense, but we tried to do everything non-specific to just coins.

But that is just the area to keep your items - initially coins, but you will be able to add every collectible you have and organize neatly and efficiently.

From inventory - you can share coins with groups or your friends etc. Of course, you can also keep them private and only you can see them.

• Ian

Your "team" should listen to you. Did THEY come up with the concept of the Great Collections auctions? :)

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mark_dak said:

Mark

A club could start and call it "The Orphans of PCGS Forums". :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@FrankH said:

@ianrussell said:
    @FrankH said:

• Ian

Your "team" should listen to you. Did THEY come up with the concept of the Great Collections auctions? :)

They listen, but the best thing about the A-Team, they come up with better ideas much of the time!

• Ian
    Ian Russell
  • Options

@bigjpst said:
    @ianrussell
    Where on the site can we make suggestions for sets etc?
    I joined the group Mycollect suggestions, but there is only one post. Wasn't sure if that was the best place.
    I think it would be nice to build custom non-competative sets. Example.
    I have a 1940 U.S. Mint set, but I also have many other world coins and tokens dated 1940 as part of my collection.

You can suggest in our main Suggestions Group:
    MyCollect Suggestions [MyCollect™ Official]

There's a few more posts there now, we only just set it up yesterday.

We're planning on having Date Sets of the World, but you will also be able to make custom sets for this.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
  • Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not get the point of the site.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was skeptical, but after a couple hours of playing around with the site, I think it’s great (and will only improve from here).

For the small number of people interested in 20c pieces, I created the first group on the site for that denomination:

https://www.mycollect.com/groups/doubledimes

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the site a lot but I fear that the dealers are going to be a dominant force and it will tend to become predominantly a Buy/Sell board.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:
    I like the site a lot but I fear that the dealers are going to be a dominant force and it will tend to become predominantly a Buy/Sell board.

Not trying to speak for @ianrussell, but I believe there is something in the works to help alleviate that. Stay tuned, but that was one of my concerns as well. There just needs to be a way to categorize and filter content within a group, if someone wants to show discussions and educational posts, and hide BST posts.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options

@lermish said:

One of the biggest challenges of GC in the early days was growing the consignments at the same rate as buyers - and vice versa.

It's no different with MyCollect, which is almost 9 days old. I am confident that collectors will be the absolute vast majority of people on MyCollect. Collectors already amount to over 90% of the members, and eventually, it will be over 99%. Perhaps they are not participating as much publicly yet, even though one collector who I follow has been posting some insane eye candy.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
  • Options

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    I was skeptical, but after a couple hours of playing around with the site, I think it’s great (and will only improve from here).

For the small number of people interested in 20c pieces, I created the first group on the site for that denomination:

https://www.mycollect.com/groups/doubledimes

This kind of feedback motivates me to spend more time (and money) on MyCollect! Thanks for sharing!

• Ian
    Ian Russell
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:

People that run their own groups have the ability to remove posts from their groups. I have already done this three times in one group and will edit the about group section tonight. Setting rules for the group where you don’t want sale items posted in groups. A lot of people are already in the designated Official Buy, Sell & Trade group so when this stuff gets reposted into every single relevant group it is very Spammy and you end up scrolling through the same thing multiple times in your feed. I don’t think anyone wants that.

So, managers of groups need to set up rules for their groups and remove unwanted posts. If things continue then people can be removed from groups.

I do not know if people get notified when their post gets deleted or not.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ianrussell said:

@lermish said:

One of the biggest challenges of GC in the early days was growing the consignments at the same rate as buyers - and vice versa.

It's no different with MyCollect, which is almost 9 days old. I am confident that collectors will be the absolute vast majority of people on MyCollect. Collectors already amount to over 90% of the members, and eventually, it will be over 99%. Perhaps they are not participating as much publicly yet, even though one collector who I follow has been posting some insane eye candy.

• Ian

I agree there's not a lot of collectors posting - there's a handful of active posters but that's about it. I'm hoping this will change.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:

@ianrussell said:

@lermish said:

• Ian

I agree there's not a lot of collectors posting - there's a handful of active posters but that's about it. I'm hoping this will change.

Probably because if most collectors are like me, they don't have any or many coin collecting friends so it serves no purpose. Almost all of the people I know who collect coins would never use a site like this (or most other coin sites).

• Options

@ProofCollection said:

@FlyingAl said:

@ianrussell said:

@lermish said:

• Ian

Probably because if most collectors are like me, they don't have any or many coin collecting friends so it serves no purpose. Almost all of the people I know who collect coins would never use a site like this (or most other coin sites).

Exactly - that is why we started MyCollect!!!

• Ian
    Ian Russell

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file