Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My first PCGS Morgan submission is back and the results are in

Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 13, 2023 4:34PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have to say that I had a great experience with PCGS. I needed to talk to customer service. I was going to use my 8 vouchers. I decided I wanted to go express. We worked things out flawlessly and they were very nice.
I am a bit disappointed on the 1880S. It did receive a high grade which I was hoping for becasue it's a beauty. I did and part of me still believes it's DMPL it passes the mirror test no problem. I'm scratching my head on that one. It's simply an amazing coin. The rest aren't to shabby either. Receiving grades like this from PCGS these days does say alot about these Morgan's. They are very conservative, very respectable grades.
Edit to correct spelling.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

Comments

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats.

Gorgeous coins. If you hand selected these coins and submitted them raw you have a keen eye for quality.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice and high end coins, surprising the first didn't go DMPL.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice grades and coins.....congratulations!

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. Like them all. Cool obverse cameo on the 80S.

On the 80S67PL I was going to suggest checking areas of the reverse that might not make the dmpl but I certainly can't grade a PL to dmpl from a photo. But the reverse looked like it could be what caused the PL.

Here is a trueview link for the 80S. I don't know, but you might or might not be aware of this link. Just change the last 8 numbers to the cert number of the coin and then you can download various photos and backgrounds. The TV also is implying the reverse might have been the just miss on the dmpl but again I can not tell from a photo.

https://images.pcgs.com/trueview/47658863

I have a semi-twin 79S with the deep cameo obverse but mine the reverse is just MS or maybe a semi-PL only.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super nice!
    Regarding the first MS67 going DMPL instead of PL I believe the reverse held this coin back.
    A terrific batch of Morgans though.
    You certainly can be proud.

peacockcoins

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great group of Morgans. DMPL has to be 6 inches or more of clear reflection on both sides. Sometimes they are sooo close.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

I think you guys are probably right on the reverse holding it back from DMPL but I think it's a close call. One of those one foot over the line and the other one right on the line.
    Nonetheless I am happy.
    I really have to thank this forum for helping me to develop a keen eye. I am into many hobbies. Some of them require a keen eye. It's really a trained eye.
    Either way I have to PCGS did a good job and they most certainly to garner alot of respect when it comes to grading.
    That 1885P is one coin that I really didn't know what to expect for a grade. It's cleaner than my ms68's.

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    Very nice and high end coins, surprising the first didn't go DMPL.

These days "caution" is the watchword. :D

• Options

I'd check out all the images for the PLs and DMPLs on the Coin Facts site. That issue usually comes very nice.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1880-s-1-pl/images/7119

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice group of coins.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome group of coins. Really like that '85-cc

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where did you acquire the raw coins?

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins!

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

@150K said:
    I think you guys are probably right on the reverse holding it back from DMPL but I think it's a close call. One of those one foot over the line and the other one right on the line.
    Nonetheless I am happy.
    I really have to thank this forum for helping me to develop a keen eye. I am into many hobbies. Some of them require a keen eye. It's really a trained eye.
    Either way I have to PCGS did a good job and they most certainly to garner alot of respect when it comes to grading.
    That 1885P is one coin that I really didn't know what to expect for a grade. It's cleaner than my ms68's.

If you don't mind my asking since you must have just gotten these back, what is the PCGS turn-around time currently?

Mark

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice representation!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@mark_dak I express shipped the group. They sat for a few days becasue I was going to use my vouchers. So I had a little lag time. Once I changed it to express they seemed to move fast.
    I would say express is accurately posted as 15 days.

• Options
    jerseybenjerseyben Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

Def the reverse held it back on the 80-S. Killer coins!

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice submission!

• Options

Possibly resubmit the first coin.

• Options
    DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭

Wow!! The feeling must be almost overwhelming for you. It would be for me. NICE!!!

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice.👍🏼

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice B&W cameo on the 80S. If it had the reverse mirrors of the 85CC I think it might have gotten the DMPL. All beautiful coins, Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

@150K said:
    @mark_dak I express shipped the group. They sat for a few days becasue I was going to use my vouchers. So I had a little lag time. Once I changed it to express they seemed to move fast.
    I would say express is accurately posted as 15 days.

Thanks for the info. Nice group of Morgans

Mark

• Options
    mattnissmattniss Posts: 603 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, a serious group of stunners!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@150K... That is a really great group of Morgan dollars and excellent grades. Where did you acquire them? Were any graded prior to your submission? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited July 14, 2023 1:25PM

I am fortunate to know some local collectors who are selling coins to me. We are fair to each other. I paid up for these coins. I am comfortable doing it.
    I give alot of credit to this forum and many of its members.
    I had to learn some hard lessons when I first started but I have a handle on things now.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

One word.
    STUNNING! :o
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy s**t!!
    Where were you hiding these coins before submission??

• Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭

EXCELLENT GROUP of BLAST WHITE Morgans, I am sure RickO would APPROVE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file