Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Calling All 3CN Collectors...Need Advice PR or MS?

RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm considering diving into an entirely new series to collect...the 3CN...as it seems to be a reasonably short series and not completely off the scale financially.

My first question would be...do you prefer to collect in MS or PF...or both?

Comments

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would collect both.

• Options
    edited June 14, 2023 2:01PM

...or should I ask if an MS or PF collection is viewed as "more desirable" than the other?

Like I said...I'm starting with a clean slate.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    ...or should I ask if an MS or PF collection is viewed as "more desirable" than the other?

Like I said...I'm starting with a clean slate.

MS are generally "more desirable". But I only bother with the proofs because I like the proofs. That should be the only factor: what do you like?

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    I'm considering diving into an entirely new series to collect...the 3CN...as it seems to be a reasonably short series and not completely off the scale financially.

I agree with jmlanzaf above ... I had the same view years ago and went with proofs as I like the look. I ended up in the end with most Cameo designation and with a CAC. I did love putting together my set ... but I did not obtain a 71 before I liquated. Have fun

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok. I’m hoping I’m not the only one wondering what is 3CN ?😂

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 Cent Nickel, first minted in 1865

• Options

Jzyskowski1...I thought a 3 cent "nickel" might be an interesting change...

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a collector of these, per se, but I have owned a few examples. There are a some dramatic clashes, some interesting cracks and a few cuds in the business strikes, so I would go with MS, with an eye for that kind of character.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d go with the business strikes for resale. Proofs for my enjoyment. Focus on the best possible coin you can afford. I’d do all CAC.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I might suggest mix and match them.
    Some of the late dates are formidable as business strikes.
    A nice ms 1885 might cost you close to $10k, if you can find one. A choice Proof less than $1k.
    Depends on your funds and time horizon.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

I started my Morgan set in high school...35 years ago...

I started my Walker set in college...

At my age, I need a set that won't take 20 years!!!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    I started my Morgan set in high school...35 years ago...

I started my Walker set in college...

At my age, I need a set that won't take 20 years!!!

2&3 cent type set. It'll take a weekend. 😀

• Options

[2&3 cent type set. It'll take a weekend.]

,,,or maybe a week!

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it’s just me, but the 3CN design is one of my favorites. Liberty is somewhat unique.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have often admired some of the 3CN's shown here, but never owned one. I should add one to the general collection. Perhaps one will catch my attention this year. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great set, not particularly hard to find and won't break the bank either way unless you're the type that need the top pop coins. I like both... choose the ones that you will enjoy. Nobody knows that but you.

Good luck, have fun and looking forward for your posts of new additions.

Mark

• Options
    GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭

Funny you should ask, I just finished this set yesterday! I did circulation strikes because I had a holder that omitted the proof-only dates, but it likely wouldn't be all that much more expensive in proof since the key dates are much cheaper as proofs and the bulk of the rest aren't significantly more expensive. As others have said it mostly comes down to what you prefer - they're pretty chronically unpopular as a series, but they are a lot of fun to collect. Either way enjoy!

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the set. I'd go for MS but get 77,78,86 proofs. Many of those look like uncs anyway. Then you'll have a complete date set.

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gonfunko said:
    Funny you should ask, I just finished this set yesterday! I did circulation strikes because I had a holder that omitted the proof-only dates, but it likely wouldn't be all that much more expensive in proof since the key dates are much cheaper as proofs and the bulk of the rest aren't significantly more expensive. As others have said it mostly comes down to what you prefer - they're pretty chronically unpopular as a series, but they are a lot of fun to collect. Either way enjoy!

@RichR said:

Nice post and timiing
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1092426/completed-a-set-of-three-cent-nickels

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proof only would satisfy my wallet.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:

A circulated set (including circulated proofs) might also be an option for those on a more modest budget.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d go for the proofs. I think 3CNs look fantastic in a proof format, particularly with contrast.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2023 10:46AM

Try an all DCAM (substituting a CAM piece when DCAM is not available) PF set and a gem to superb gem business set

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or you could go really bold and do complete MS/PF registry set quality collections for both the copper nickel and silver issues.

• Options

{Or you could go really bold and do complete MS/PF registry set quality collections for both the copper nickel and silver issues.]

I'll consult with my financial advisor on that...we may need to sell the house!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file