Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Completed a set of three cent nickels!

GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭

We've all heard "buy the coin, not the holder", but this might be the first time I've bought the coins...because of the holder.

Years ago my dad WaterSport picked up this empty Capital Plastics holder on eBay. I noticed about a year ago that I had a few three cent nickels, looked into it a bit and decided it was a shame for such a cool custom holder to be empty. Clearly somebody must have really loved this series years ago to presumably have had it made - I don't think this was a regular issue board. Since the board omitted the proof-only 1877, 1878 and 1886, the proof vs business strike decision was made for me; were it not for that I would have given serious thought to completing it in proof. It would have been more expensive than the circulated set I assembled, but the PCGS price guide puts a complete set in MS-63 at $28,400, vs the complete set in PR-65 at $25,500! I've also considered trying to find circulated examples of the proof-only dates to match the rest of the set and really complete it, or just picking up a nice certified proof example since I don't have any 19th century proofs and have always been interested in them, but we'll see!

Assembling this set was a lot of fun! I had the 1865-1867, 1870 and 1881 when I began, and decided to go for a circulated set to keep it relatively affordable. I picked up a few more dates at the end of July last year, and the search was on, ultimately taking just a bit shy of a year to complete.

Other than the 1883-1887 issues, these are all sub-$300 coins, and through the 1870s they're more like $20-$50. I picked up the 1884 from David Lawrence for $1,900 as a PCGS EF-40, which was the most expensive coin in the set. The other key date, the 1885, was purchased raw on eBay for about $1600 from a seller who listed it with a BIN of ~2K Canadian. Based on the Allan Gifford reference (thankfully available on the Newman Numismatic Portal), I identified it as the P03/B05 die marriage; Gifford claims this die pairing was used to strike both proofs and business strikes, and offers as the only distinguishing feature the reverse die being rotated by 2 vs 6 degrees. If I had several examples side by side it might be possible to distinguish that, but even determining exactly what is straight up on the obverse to use as a point of reference is hard enough. If it's a circulated proof, I overpaid; OTOH if it's a business strike I got a great deal. Either way, it's a coin from an original mintage of 1000 business strikes or 3790 proofs, and that's pretty cool. Were this a series anybody at all cared about would easily be a 5 or 6 figure coin!

The 1887 was my final purchase, an ex NGC EF-45. The 1883 was cracked out of an ICG VF-30 holder, and all the rest were acquired raw. Grading on these seems more than a touch inconsistent, likely in part due to the wide variety in strike quality; ultimately I didn't worry about it that much and just went with what seemed to be like a nice VF-EFish set, trying to maintain the overall look of the coins. I may look into upgrading the 1868, which I had before starting and has an old cleaning, and the 1875, which has a bit more of a dig on the profile than I'd like that wasn't visible in the photos, but on the whole I'm really happy with how this set turned out.

You can see all of the coins here

Comments

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me be the first to say I really like it! 👍🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow cool set and unique holder!

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Truly an awesome set! This is what collecting is all about!

• Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

Awesome holster and some nice original coins, congrats!

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super cool holder, and nicely matched coins. Well done!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone who collects with consistency has my attention! Congratulations!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s awesome!

Mr_Spud

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice set. You did a nice job. I also like your photo page with the flipping reverses.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good looking set...any varieties?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a cool set and a terrific write-up!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 682 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nicely done! Congrats! The 1885 rotated 2 degrees for the proof or business strike?

Not sure if my eyes would be able to distinguish a 2 degree rotation but I'm seeing rotation so maybe it's 6 degrees.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful set! 2% is circ and 6% is proof?? How do you do that with pictures?

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭✭

Nice well-presented set!

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's just damn cool.

Nicely done completing dads set.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice set and display holder... Thanks for the history along with it. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 878 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome holder and awesome story! Congrats on completing the set.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    MASSU2MASSU2 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭✭

Great looking set, contrats!

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's my son!

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unique and very well executed!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭

Very cool holder and story!

imageimage

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gonfunko said:
    We've all heard "buy the coin, not the holder", but this might be the first time I've bought the coins...because of the holder.

You can see all of the coins here

A very slick way to display your set ... congrats

• Options
    GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the kind words! Regarding the 1885 proof/business strike distinction, Gifford says the business strike reverses are rotated 2º clockwise, and the proofs 6º. The images I posted are aligned straight up, so it's not possible to tell from that; the coin has to be in-hand and rotated about its axis. I could try to put together a video showing that, or if anybody knows of other diagnostics I'd certainly be interested!

As far as varieties, the 1875 does appear to be FS-301, with the serif of the 1 protruding from the neck. I haven't noticed anything else too dramatic; there's lots of clashes and Longacre doubling throughout the series though.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking set to go along with a great looking holder.

Nice job on completing the set.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

way cool, i like it :)

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool! Congratulations.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

I gave up on this series several years ago because of the difficulty.
    Very impressive set if all the coins turn out to be BS.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would also like to say that you have no coin that looks out of place in your set.

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love your set and its display! Those rare 1883-1885 dates are so cool! I've considered acquiring one of them. You have all 3, great!

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool set, with such a unique display.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2023 11:09AM

Nice, some of those dates I've never seen while I was putting (trying to) a set together.
    Nicely done.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file