Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How 'bout those new June Pickups...

Comments

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

@hankcaddy said:

I love seeing the Bryce Harper posts you put up. As a lifelong Phillies fan, he is the most fun to watch since the Howard/Utley/Rollins days in their prime.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rmh111985 , thanks I am really enjoying chasing these cards and also enjoy his enthusiasm for the game

@GroceryRackPack , thanks I have picked up several already in June, love posting on these monthly threads

currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always loved the photos from 65-68 though the mid/late 70s run is pretty cool too.

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ahopkins said:
    Several pickups so far this June, including four Rose cards freshly graded by PSA and back in my hands. (I’m sneaking in the 1979 Topps PSA 8 Rose even though it was a May purchase.) The Rose run is now continuous from 1965 to 1981. Family pic included.

Well done! I enjoy player runs...nicely centered examples there.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ahopkins said:
    Several pickups so far this June, including four Rose cards freshly graded by PSA and back in my hands. (I’m sneaking in the 1979 Topps PSA 8 Rose even though it was a May purchase.) The Rose run is now continuous from 1965 to 1981. Family pic included.

Oh Wow... :)

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:
    Gibby is my favorite all-time pitcher, and I've been chasing one of these for years. Finally took the plunge and found one at a decent price for the grade. Wish the centering was better, but now my favorite in my collection.

That's a beautiful card! Congratulations!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options

@halosfan said:
    Landed a pretty big AROD that recently arrived

hey halosfan,
    Cool cut... :)

• Options

@davin72 said:
    Probably one of the best mail days Ive had in a long time. Really helped out my PC.

hey davin72,
    Oh Yeah...There ya go...Pretty Cool... :)

• Options

@cgfalcone said:
    The logo.

hey cgfalcone,
    Oh Yeah...That's cool... :)

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davin72 said:
    Probably one of the best mail days Ive had in a long time. Really helped out my PC.

Those are so awesome and cool. Great pick ups.

I don't collect a lot of football, but LOVE all the sets from the 70s. They all look so good and the designs are so cool. Baseball feels so bland comparatively.

• Options
    JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

@stwainfan said:
    He should have stayed a Cardinal his whole career.

I love his birdwatching look. Reminds me of the actor from 3rd rock from the sun.

I wonder why the "C" of cardinal had a straight line instead of a curve like the "s". I've always enjoyed the way they wrote the team names. Reminds me of Vegas signs years ago.

• Options
    davin72davin72 Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:

Those are so awesome and cool.
    I don't collect a lot of football, but LOVE all the sets from the 70s. They all look so good and the designs are so cool. Baseball feels so bland comparatively.

Yeah im so happy with them. Have a friend getting out of the hobby so I bought up a lot of what I didn't have. As you can tell we are both HUGE Steelers collectors. Getting close to finishing up my run of 1950 - 1989 PSA Steelers cards. Only need about 40 or 50 more.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy crap, Tim, congrats!! What an accomplishment! Really cool set.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    This is pretty special…

Well, there’s always some bittersweet to go with the jubilation but I am proud to say that I was able to complete one of the tougher sets around: 1946 Propagandas Montiel Los Reyes Del Deporte. I was able to acquire 180 unique cards from a set with a clear checklist of 180 different cards. While I am still possibly shy one card, I will worry about ‘card 181’ (actually Oswald Bluege) when and if one finally surfaces. I don’t know how many “complete” sets are out there but certain cards are simply a real challenge to find because of overall scarcity. In addition, anyone starting the set today will find that this set features some cards that have now become increasingly and incredibly expensive to acquire, which will only add to the challenge. These four arrived yesterday and were scanned just now, featuring one recognizable name for fans of pre war ball.

1946 Propagandas Montiel - Buddy Lewis, Jack Sweeting, Jackie Myer and Paul Waner

SET COMPLETE
    😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎

hey 51Wheaties…
    Awesome Conquering Your Quest… Oh Yeah... :)

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:
    Gibby is my favorite all-time pitcher, and I've been chasing one of these for years. Finally took the plunge and found one at a decent price for the grade. Wish the centering was better, but now my favorite in my collection.

Very nice card.

Back in the late 80s, I was stationed in St Louis and went with a friend to the Mercedes dealership with him; Bob Gibson pulled in right behind us with a "classic" Merc - he was standing next to us - license plate "Gibson" - didn't want to bother him for an auto - just said: "nice car" He returned "Thanx!" Wish there was more to the story.

I don't have that card - wish I did too.

Mike
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is pretty special…

Well, there’s always some bittersweet to go with the jubilation but I am proud to say that I was able to complete one of the tougher sets around: 1946 Propagandas Montiel Los Reyes Del Deporte. I was able to acquire 180 unique cards from a set with a clear checklist of 180 different cards. While I am still possibly shy one card, I will worry about ‘card 181’ (actually Oswald Bluege) when and if one finally surfaces. I don’t know how many “complete” sets are out there but certain cards are simply a real challenge to find because of overall scarcity. In addition, anyone starting the set today will find that this set features some cards that have now become increasingly and incredibly expensive to acquire, which will only add to the challenge. These four arrived yesterday and were scanned just now, featuring one recognizable name for fans of pre war ball.

1946 Propagandas Montiel - Buddy Lewis, Jack Sweeting, Jackie Myer and Paul Waner

SET COMPLETE
    😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎

Congratulations Tim!!!!

Mike
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium
    Congrats awesome to see it to completion

currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options

@hankcaddy said:
    20 card sub back today some highlights
    Did well 14 10s , 3 9s and 3 8s

hey hankcaddy,
    You had an Awesome snail mail day today... :)

• Options

@Geoff76 said:

Back from grading. Excited to have a PSA 9 70s Kareem.

hey Geoff76,
    Oh Yeah..Pretty cool... :)

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is pretty special…

SET COMPLETE
    😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎

Congrats Tim! What could you possibly do to top that? 😎

• Options

@paulb71 said:

Picked these up at REA May encore auction

hey paulb71,
    Love your 79 BBCE Grocery Wax Tray... <3 my 79 grocery wax tray is my #1 All-Time Favorite that i have... :)

• Options
    paulb71paulb71 Posts: 293 ✭✭✭✭

@GroceryRackPack said:

@paulb71 said:

Picked these up at REA May encore auction

hey paulb71,
    Love your 79 BBCE Grocery Wax Tray... <3 my 79 grocery wax tray is my #1 All-Time Favorite that i have... :)

I really want to get the 79 BBCE football wax tray with the green price tag

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

This is pretty special…

SET COMPLETE
    😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎

Congratulations Tim!!!!

Thank you!

@hankcaddy said:
    @1951WheatiesPremium
    Congrats awesome to see it to completion

Thank you! A labor of love…

@brad31 said:
    Tim congrats on probably the greatest collecting accomplishment I have seen on this board! Going after a set that rare and with that many cards is nearly impossible. This is definitely one to be proud of!!

whoa! Incredibly high praise, especially coming from you. Thank you

@threeofsix said:
    @1951WheatiesPremium

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS!!

@NGS428 said:

This is pretty special…

SET COMPLETE
    😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎

Congrats Tim! What could you possibly do to top that? 😎

I know, right? Hence, a little bittersweet, too. I mean, this set is/was considered one of the toughest challenges in collecting so now I must look for a new and challenging set to chase. Going to bask in the glow a bit longer first and then pull out the standard catalog to see what tickles my fancy…

Thanks for the thumbs up and the help and the encouragement along the way. I hope you all find what you seek. Good luck out there

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@Kid4hof03 said:
    My wife and boys surprised me with this 64 Mantle for Father's Day.

Awesome surprise for you.... :)

• Options

@Chicago1976 said:
    Found a '53 HOFer with decent centering at a coin shop near my home.

hey Chicago1976 ,
    Cool pick-up... :)