Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1849-D $5 Gold

Looks like a 24-R die pair.
I recently had this graded, and then purchased. I know little of this series.
Any comments?

Collector of Victoria, Edward VII, George V and George VI Canadian; and most anything U.S. I am currently looking for early Lincolns, raw in XF or better.

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's a fabulous coin and one heck of a piece to add to a collection for a series that you claim to know little about. Way to go!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a great coin!

Mr_Spud

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin indeed
    Well done

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnPhiloponus said:
    Any comments?

Graded then purchased?

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell if I see recut date or if I'm talking myself into it by looking at pics. Either way, it's a beautiful coin.

Mark

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that is a beautiful piece!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    JohnPhiloponusJohnPhiloponus Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@JohnPhiloponus said:
    Any comments?

Graded then purchased?

I had the coin graded for a friend, then purchased for a fair price. At first I was reluctant to buy a coin in this price range, but got used to the the idea. I love the history each new venture reveals!

Collector of Victoria, Edward VII, George V and George VI Canadian; and most anything U.S. I am currently looking for early Lincolns, raw in XF or better.

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice 49-D. Southern branch mint gold rocks!

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options

What I noticed about the die pair was (1) the date is moved to the left, with the '1' close to the bust, and (2) the 'D' mint mark on the reverse is clearly separated from the underneath of the eagle. That was characteristic of the three 24-R die pair examples I found that had been auctioned. There were two on Heritage and one on Stacks Bowers.

I grew up hearing about THE gold rush at Sutter's Mill, but never knew about the first one in Charlotte.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice gold coin and Dahlonega mint is special. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

VERY NICE !!! congratulations.

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent piece! I like the looks of it

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking piece

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a great looking coin!
    Congrats!

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnPhiloponus said:
    Any comments?

yes, nice coin! i would use the look of this one to compare against other circulated examples for quality. this is how you want them to look.

• Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. Hard to believe pieces like this are still out there ungraded.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a really great coin. I don't get into items I don't know much about in this price range. In this case you did well. Dahlonega gold is a specialized area, and it's not usually something collectors get into without some study and preparation.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    It's a really great coin. I don't get into items I don't know much about in this price range. In this case you did well. Dahlonega gold is a specialized area, and it's not usually something collectors get into without some study and preparation.

Point well taken not getting into expensive items without knowing much.

I did have enough time to figure there were few bag marks and it was a pretty strong strike for the coin. The die-pair was a later surprise, though.

Now I want to stop in Dahlonega next time I wander through Georgia.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2023 11:09AM

Beautiful coin! You did well letting your gut goad you into a purchase without studying the series, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Splendid piece! I only have one Dahlonega example, a dollar...
    I happened to bring it to work today...

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love that XF gold. :)

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

Bill,
    Nice to see your MS63 1838-D Classic Head specimen again.

Craig

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking original example with nice color.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice strong 45.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin!

• Options
    ParadimeCoinsParadimeCoins Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

nice circ gold

ParadimeCoins.com PCGS NGC CAC InventorySign up for our exclusive NEWPs mailing list - Subscribe

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking coin. I have some kind of hang up with marks and gold usually gets beat up. That piece looks very nice.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file