Chasing West Point Quarters

13»

Comments

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smuglr said:
    actually 4 million added to the AMP and WFP releases

Where exactly did you read this?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smuglr is correct. The Lowell releases were delayed and were peppered in with American Memorials although some people told me that eventually the Lowell new coin rolls contained some W quarters. I personally never found any in the Lowell rolls.

Same thing happened in 2020 with the American Samoa W quarters as they were peppered in with the Weir Farm quarters.

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    @smuglr is correct. The Lowell releases were delayed and were peppered in with American Memorials although some people told me that eventually the Lowell new coin rolls contained some W quarters. I personally never found any in the Lowell rolls.

Same thing happened in 2020 with the American Samoa W quarters as they were peppered in with the Weir Farm quarters.

Maybe I misunderstood. I thought he was saying they minted 4 million over the 2 million of each series.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

Maybe I misunderstood. I thought he was saying they minted 4 million over the 2 million of each series.

Captain Obvious says if you thought that then you misunderstood 😂🤣

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

when is the price going to drop for raw ones?
    if 2 million were released for 10 different issues, there will be eventually 20 million of those things.

• Options

@davewesen said:
    if 2 million were released for 10 different issues, there will be eventually 20 million of those things.

Oh man..... this has been discussed before🙄

• Options

@davewesen said:

Yes, a total of 20 million. But it's not eventually, they have already been released and on the street.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 18,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found 25 "W's" from new and circulated rolls. It is hunting, but it is still fun. I found my 1st in change from a harbor freight store purchase. They are still out there. B)

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

@JWP said:
    I have found 25 "W's" from new and circulated rolls. It is hunting, but it is still fun. I found my 1st in change from a harbor freight store purchase. They are still out there. B)

On a lighter note, I bet that W was worth more then whatever you bought a Harbor Freight! 😂 😂

Sorry, couldn't resist!!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken ... Wow... You just found two W quarters in change?? That is great, that means there is still hope for those searching. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @jesbroken ... Wow... You just found two W quarters in change?? That is great, that means there is still hope for those searching. Cheers, RickO

Yes, they are still out there but the numbers a dwindling rapidly. I would say, they will continue showing up for years to come. Like silver, people spending them back into circulation not knowing what they have.

• Options

@OAKSTAR... I believe you are correct. When people see me checking my coins, they ask what I am looking for.... I tell them "A W mint mark quarter." They say "What is that?" I explain.. they have not heard of them. Non-collectors (the vast majority of the population) have no idea and no interest in coins. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR and @ricko
    I don't believe they are dwindling too badly here. In fact, I feel they are more readily available. I have found 3 in the last 2 weeks and only one in the last 2 years before that. I went through 50 rolls and found 1 in the last year. Total of 4 but way more lately. We'll see. It probably has to do with location more than anything. In larger cities, people have so much to do, they don't spend as much time searching. In rural America, they have plenty of time and therefore search. JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW, if anyone needs one or both of these quarters, I would be glad to part with them for $.50 each(to help with postage). Jus' sayin.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Husker73Husker73 Posts: 34 ✭✭

Got to the party late. I didn’t hear about the Ws till 2020. Started searching boxes of Marsh Bs and found around 100. Traded for 2019 Ws and 2020 Ws and sold some. Since then I have searched about 70 boxes of mixed quarters and found 70 Ws. So an average of about one per box. Didnt ever see any boxes of Weir farm or American Samoan. Did get a couple of Salt River and Tall Grass. I have never found a W in the wild.

• Options

@ricko said:
    @OAKSTAR... I believe you are correct. When people see me checking my coins, they ask what I am looking for.... I tell them "A W mint mark quarter." They say "What is that?" I explain.. they have not heard of them. Non-collectors (the vast majority of the population) have no idea and no interest in coins. Cheers, RickO

That's funny, the same thing kinda happens to me at the banks I hit around here. Many of the banks (tellers) thought I was getting/asking for these coins (boxes) for a business. You can see the looks on their faces when I walk in. It's like "OH NO" he's here again! :) Until some of them started asking me; what exactly are you doing with these boxes of coins. (It's been mostly small dollar for me lately) By the way: most banks can't get rid of them fast enough.

I told them it's just a hobby and what I'm looking for. As you can imagine, most of them just look puzzled and roll their eyes. Like..this guy needs a life!! 😂 I've said to several of them in various bank; would you like to see some of the coins I've found?..... They said sure. It sparks an immediate curiosity.

So the next time I went in, I brought a slabbed NGC MS62 Speared Eagle and my Cherrypicker's Guide (the one with the price range in it)

I explained I found this coin in one of their rolls several months prior. I briefly explain the slab. Most of them know about graded baseball cards but never really knew about professional coin grading companies. I said; they basically validate the coin, condition, date, not counterfeit, barcode, etc... I handed them the slabbed coin, then I show them the Cherrypicker's guide with the picture of the eagle and price range.

If you wanta see some SLACK-JAWED WIDE EYED people??.. 😂 🤣 You should do that with one of your coins someday. It's precious!! It's worth every second!! It gets their attention REAL fast!! Then all the real questions start. One day I was showing one of the tellers (a guy) and he called all his co-workers and bank manager over to show them. I had the whole stinkin' bank looking at this coin. 🤣 I told them; in your spare time to look through their coin draws and keep an eye out for this speared eagle. If you find one, keep it!

Sharing the information and seeing their faces was worth every minute. They will never forget you after that! And they will actually help you in the future. No, I'm not afraid to give our coin secrets away.......spread the joy!!

I can tell you, they REALLY appreciated the information and seeing the coin in-hand. You can do the same thing with the W quarters, if your not afraid of giving up our secrets. 😎

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@ricko said:

That's funny, the same thing kinda happens to me at the banks I hit around here. Many of the banks (tellers) thought I was getting/asking for these coins (boxes) for a business. You can see the looks on their faces when I walk in. It's like "OH NO" he's here again! :) Until some of them started asking me; what exactly are you doing with these boxes of coins. (It's been mostly small dollar for me lately) By the way: most banks can't get rid of them fast enough.

I told them it's just a hobby and what I'm looking for. As you can imagine, most of them just look puzzled and roll their eyes. Like..this guy needs a life!! 😂 I've said to several of them in various bank; would you like to see some of the coins I've found?..... They said sure. It sparks an immediate curiosity.

So the next time I went in, I brought a slabbed NGC MS62 Speared Eagle and my Cherrypicker's Guide (the one with the price range in it)

I explained I found this coin in one of their rolls several months prior. I briefly explain the slab. Most of them know about graded baseball cards but never really knew about professional coin grading companies. I said; they basically validate the coin, condition, date, not counterfeit, barcode, etc... I handed them the slabbed coin, then I show them the Cherrypicker's guide with the picture of the eagle and price range.

If you wanta see some SLACK-JAWED WIDE EYED people??.. 😂 🤣 You should do that with one of your coins someday. It's precious!! It's worth every second!! It gets their attention REAL fast!! Then all the real questions start. One day I was showing one of the tellers (a guy) and he called all his co-workers and bank manager over to show them. I had the whole stinkin' bank looking at this coin. 🤣 I told them; in your spare time to look through their coin draws and keep an eye out for this speared eagle. If you find one, keep it!

Sharing the information and seeing their faces was worth every minute. They will never forget you after that! And they will actually help you in the future. No, I'm not afraid to give our coin secrets away.......spread the joy!!

I can tell you, they REALLY appreciated the information and seeing the coin in-hand. You can do the same thing with the W quarters, if your not afraid of giving up our secrets. 😎

This is one of the regular kind of things I've been doing for many years, I love that you're mentioning this.
    Tellers often genuinely want to see photos of my finds, especially when I tell them it was from them.
    I have a bunch of tellers who love to immediately tell me about interesting customer rolls they got.
    I even have tellers asking me questions fairly regularly...I got asked by a couple of them what the Maya quarter was and why Washington looked so different when those were release. Last wee a teller at my credit union brought me a handful of small dollars asking if they were special...they were a bunch of different Innovation dollars so I told her a bunch of fun stuff about that series and told her to hang on to a few that she thinks are nice, because also she's starting to get a sense of what a brand new truly lustrous coin looks like lol.

Also...bring your tellers a box of donuts or something once in a while. :smiley: True.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@OAKSTAR Marines have always had bad eye sight. Maybe that is where the tag "JARHEAD" came from. Now it is your turn for a USN or USAF joke. HaHa :D

• Options

@JWP said:
    @OAKSTAR Marines have always had bad eye sight. Maybe that is where the tag "JARHEAD" came from. Now it is your turn for a USN or USAF joke. HaHa :D

No real Navy or AF jokes. I'm just sitting here wondering how a qualified expert at a 1000 yards? At must have been that 18 year olds eyes. 😂 😉 👍🏻

• Options

@Oakstar I qualified as an expert with a Pistol, but my eyesight so bad now I couldn't hit a barn with a shotgun. :'(

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I somehow ended up with two - one from 2019 and one from 2020 - several months ago I posted my second find … just appeared in my hand! Not even sure where it came from exactly

• Options
    silviosisilviosi Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

I think so they still have for sell.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really have liked this series but only found one in circulation just after they came out (War in the Pacific) but that is because now I do basically all credit card transactions.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

@7Jaguars said:
    I really have liked this series but only found one in circulation just after they came out (War in the Pacific) but that is because now I do basically all credit card transactions.

Go get some rolls from the bank.

• Options

@silviosi said:
    I think so they still have for sell.

• Options

Other than the one I found in the Coinstar reject slot, I have not found any in the wild. I still look, and I use cash a lot... Scarce in this area. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

The whole coin roll searching thing fascinates me. I have no interest whatever in obtaining/searching boxes of coin rolls. As for finding anything "in the wild", I probably average less than one cash transaction every couple weeks, the rest are all with credit cards that pay 1.5% or 2% on each transaction. The OP mentioned "searching an average of 20 boxes of quarters a week". I am curious how anyone disposes of the huge piles of quarters post-search. 20 boxes of quarters at $500 a box is 40,000 quarters a week to turn back in. Surely a bank won't accept them "loose" will it? Does the searcher have to roll the coins by hand and stuff them back in the boxes, or is there some machine available to do all the rolling? Why would banks be willing to accept boxes stuffed with customer-rolled coins? There's nothing in it for them, it takes time and effort and it involves some minimal level of risk that the count might not be correct.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options

@ricko said:
    Other than the one I found in the Coinstar reject slot, I have not found any in the wild. I still look, and I use cash a lot... Scarce in this area. Cheers, RickO

MY only "finds" have also come from the local Coinstar machines. Once a month or so I find a few coins in the reject slot.
    A couple weeks ago there were two 1964-D quarters, a chewed up South Carolina quarter, and a heavily corroded zinc Lincoln. The two silver quarters were a nice surprise, it's down to where silver shows up very rarely, and it's usually a dime or two. Often there is a Canadian coin or two.

Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

• Options
    VTchaserVTchaser Posts: 293 ✭✭✭

@ms71 said:
    The whole coin roll searching thing fascinates me. I have no interest whatever in obtaining/searching boxes of coin rolls. As for finding anything "in the wild", I probably average less than one cash transaction every couple weeks, the rest are all with credit cards that pay 1.5% or 2% on each transaction. The OP mentioned "searching an average of 20 boxes of quarters a week". I am curious how anyone disposes of the huge piles of quarters post-search. 20 boxes of quarters at $500 a box is 40,000 quarters a week to turn back in. Surely a bank won't accept them "loose" will it? Does the searcher have to roll the coins by hand and stuff them back in the boxes, or is there some machine available to do all the rolling? Why would banks be willing to accept boxes stuffed with customer-rolled coins? There's nothing in it for them, it takes time and effort and it involves some minimal level of risk that the count might not be correct.

I don't search nearly 20 boxes per week. I may do 1 or 2 per month. But I normally take the loose quarters to my bank that has an industrial coin counting machine. No fees, just take the ticket to the counter and get cash or deposit back into my account.

Successful transactions with: robkool, Walkerguy21D, JimW, Bruce7789, massscrew, Jinx86, jonasdenenbergllc, Yorkshireman, bobsr, tommyrusty7, markelman1125, Kliao, DBSTrader2, SurfinxHI, ChrisH821, CoinHoarder, Bolo, MICHAELDIXON, bigtime36, JWP, 1960NYGiants

• Options

@ms71 said:
    The whole coin roll searching thing fascinates me. I have no interest whatever in obtaining/searching boxes of coin rolls.

I bet if you searched a box of quarters and found a bunch of brand new W's, your interest might change.

@ms71 said:
    I am curious how anyone disposes of the huge piles of quarters post-search. 20 boxes of quarters at $500 a box is 40,000 quarters a week to turn back in. Surely a bank won't accept them "loose" will it? Does the searcher have to roll the coins by hand and stuff them back in the boxes, or is there some machine available to do all the rolling? Why would banks be willing to accept boxes stuffed with customer-rolled coins? There's nothing in it for them, it takes time and effort and it involves some minimal level of risk that the count might not be correct.

If you have an account at a bank, most will or should take hand rolled coins back. Some banks and credit unions have coin counting machines, like @VTchaser mentioned. Banks take rolled coins as a service to their customers. In recent months, banks are looking for coins due to the recent shortages.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

When people see me checking my coins, they ask what I am looking for....

So funny, I find myself studying my change as well, and I always think the cashier thinks I don't trust her and am I counting that change back very carefully?? LOL.....

@OAKSTAR said:

The wife came home and said "this one is really shiny"! She said it came out of a self service CVS check out station. She didn't even know it was a W. She just knew it was really shiny.

At least most of them are still shiny standouts!

• Options

@Onastone said:
    At least most of them are still shiny standouts!

They are deteriorating fast in circulation.

• Options

I do CRH and I get my boxes from my local credit union. I use to roll the coins and take them to banks . Not any more. My CU gives a big plastic bag that I put all the loose coins in and return them to the credit union. They then send them to another bank that gets the coins counted and they then depositit the Value of the coins in the bag to my account. it is so easy I wish i had asked the question earlier. No more spending time to roll the coins and no more cost in buying the coin wrappers. I Love this concept. Ask your local bank/CU, maybe they have this service available to their customers too. :)B):)

• Options

@JWP- I'm way ahead of you! 😂 🤣

Hey- You buy wrappers??.. Why? You can't get them free from banks or CU's?

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went through a bag like that once. It weighs just over 50 lbs. and I didn't find anything. What a great system you guys have worked out...no longer CRH but now BPBH !!

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well now that Ricko and ms71 have found the W in at least a coinstar am I the only one who hasn’t found one in the wild? Lonely territory out here. 🧐

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

@Jzyskowski1... Don't give up... I am still searching for one in change.... I spend cash almost daily, and check my change. Got to be one out there... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Well now that Ricko and ms71 have found the W in at least a coinstar am I the only one who hasn’t found one in the wild? Lonely territory out here. 🧐

Nope, you're not the only one. I haven't been roll or box searching, but I do check pocket change for anything interesting. None here, either.

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't posted to this one in a while, another W V75 Kansas Tallgrass along with a Clad S mint found hunting...

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:

When I said "all my finds" were in Coinstars, I didn't mean to imply that I had found any W quarters, just an occasional few of whatever the coinstar rejects. I've never found a W quarter anywhere.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file