Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Chasing West Point Quarters

Comments

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2021 3:12PM

@J2035 said:
    @derryb and @WQuarterFreddie - what is the average grade of W quarters you find and what is the rough distribution of grades? Have you discovered or found any varieties?

Wow. That is a million dollar question and really hard to answer in my opinion because you are asking about 10 different quarters but I will give you my OPINION of each version succinctly in an effort to keep this post short so I don't create a TLDR situation.

2019 Cleanest to Dirtiest

San Antonio
    Guam WIP
    Lowell
    American Memorial
    River of No Return

2020 Cleanest to Dirtiest

Weir
    American Samoa
    Tallgrass
    Marsh Billings
    Salt River

Regarding "varieties" I assume you mean errors. I do have an American Samoa with an apparent strike thru over the V75, an American Memorial with a strike thru over TRUST and a Tallgrass with a slight strike thru over the V75. My plan is to submit them to our host for grading as error coins🤞

Also, check out the PCGS website POP report for their statistical documentation of each version and the PCGS grades at the following link:

https://www.pcgs.com/pop/detail/washington-america-beautiful-quarters-2010-2021/1715

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2021 4:10PM

Thanks @WQuarterFreddie. I for one won’t complain about a long response. Compared to total mintages, the PCGS population is relatively low and I assume skewed toward the higher grades due to the cost of certification vs. current value. With no mint sets to pull from, will be interesting to see how the pops compare to collector interest over time.

I am curious about varieties as well - not without recent precedent (e.g. Minnesota, Wisconsin quarters).

• Options
    edited September 18, 2021 7:53PM

@J2035 said:
    Thanks @WQuarterFreddie. I for one won’t complain about a long response. Compared to total mintages, the PCGS population is relatively low and I assume skewed toward the higher grades due to the cost of certification vs. current value. With no mint sets to pull from, will be interesting to see how the pops compare to collector interest over time.

I am curious about varieties as well - not without recent precedent (e.g. Minnesota, Wisconsin quarters).

The value and validity of the West Point quarters has been discussed and debated on this forum for the past 2 years and I encourage you to search the threads from 2019 and 2020.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.😎

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

@J2035 said:
    @derryb and @WQuarterFreddie - what is the average grade of W quarters you find and what is the rough distribution of grades? Have you discovered or found any varieties?

Sent a couple hundred of the best candidates to PCG is mostly 65s some 66s And a few 67 did not grade as well as I expected

The things I don’t always agree with are always worth considering.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like almost everybody is buying up the quarters now. Could this help explain the coin shortage?
    https://youtu.be/8PxAXn6Ocd0

• Options

@Onastone said:
    Looks like almost everybody is buying up the quarters now. Could this help explain the coin shortage?

No but it is perfect timing to help keep up the interest in the W quarters! In typical Pawn Stars fashion they are WAY behind on current events.

They are discussing the 2019 Great American coin hunt and showing off the first W quarter which is the Lowell. At this point it is almost impossible to find a sealed box of 2019 new coin American Memorials from which to find the Lowell W.

Also, they didn't explain how there were 5 W quarters released in 2019 not to mention if this was filmed in 2020 or 2021 then they should have discussed the 5 W quarters released in 2020 as well.

But as they say....any press is good press!🤣😂

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WQuarterFreddie said:

Isn't that the best way to search quarters as well? While eating greasy food, just crack open rolls and dump em all around!!!! At minimum, they are bringing up the level of awareness.

• Options

@Onastone said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

Isn't that the best way to search quarters as well? While eating greasy food, just crack open rolls and dump em all around!!!! At minimum, they are bringing up the level of awareness.

Yeah! My wife made fun of me when I wore white gloves while searching new rolls until I won my first of 3 PCGS First Discovery contests! 😂🤣

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

Good luck getting $100 for a greasy Chicken finger printed Coin... also adding marks bouncing them off the floor... lol!!!

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never found even one in CT.
    Bought them graded off eBay from a dealer in NJ who seems to have a huge invenotry of it which made me sort of suspect that the rolls with W mint mark were switched as an inside job and delivered.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vulcanize said:
    Bought them graded off eBay from a dealer in NJ who seems to have a huge invenotry of it which made me sort of suspect that the rolls with W mint mark were switched as an inside job and delivered.

If you can find one of the salted ballistic bags there will be a lot of W quarters in it. If you know someone working for an armored carrier your odds of obtaining one of these can be pretty good. I'd guess the dealer's source obtained the coins this way.

They may have come from outside the district since Philly usually has to ship coins out rather than having fresh coins delivered from the mint through the FED.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

No running around. Expenses gas mileage time. Watching auctions and carefully buying. None from the wild but these were wrangled through bidding maybe $100 total. The slabs are out there too and no guessing a grade. 3 are first week of discovery. I have worked out a way to hunt 😉

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

@vulcanize said:

There were searchers, and then there were "Stalkers"... I went to my local banks and purchased boxes, I gave them pictures of the quarters with my phone number ... That ended with the storage

• Options

@Jzyskowski1
    Well worth the gas mileage, I trade $5.00 in W quarters at a show for a 2017 Limited Edition Silver Proof set with the Eagle graded at PF70DCAM

• Options

@Joe_360 said:
    @Jzyskowski1
    Well worth the gas mileage, I trade $5.00 in W quarters at a show for a 2017 Limited Edition Silver Proof set with the Eagle graded at PF70DCAM

Congratulations There’s room for everyone.

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    No running around. Expenses gas mileage time. Watching auctions and carefully buying. None from the wild but these were wrangled through bidding maybe $100 total. The slabs are out there too and no guessing a grade. 3 are first week of discovery. I have worked out a way to hunt 😉

You have demonstrated that there are different ways to accomplish the same goal! Congratulations!😎

• Options

@Joe_360 said:

@vulcanize said:

There were searchers, and then there were "Stalkers"... I went to my local banks and purchased boxes, I gave them pictures of the quarters with my phone number ... That ended with the storage

Sounds like more expenses than your accounting for, it sounds like your enjoying yourself. That’s the key.

• Options

@Jzyskowski1: "Sounds like more expenses than your accounting for..."

could be right, but it's my hobby, working from home saves on gas, I don't play golf or have a monster-truck, so to your point, I enjoyed the hunt and the silver that came with it!!!

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@Joe_360 said:

@vulcanize said:

Sounds like more expenses than your accounting for, it sounds like your enjoying yourself. That’s the key.

Let's be clear. Yes there are fixed expenses and the variable expense of what each of our time is worth no matter how you collect the W quarters.

Also, one needs to consider if they are a collector, a reseller or a combination of both when determining if it is worth these expenses.

Bottom line, in my opinion the W quarters have accomplished the Mint's goal of bringing in new collectors such as myself and generating a renewed or continued interest in the hobby.

I believe many of us have found the W quarter program to be an excellent addition to the annual Great American Coin Hunt. I have been having a blast since February 2019 searching for the W quarters!😎

My hope is that they think of a new idea to implement for 2022.🤞

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    I have received only 1 back as change and it was a river of no return from the post office.
    I have found well over 500 W's but lost count.
    The best box I got there was 172 of the San Antonio.
    I found 3 last week so they are still out there. :)
    I just got the last one to finish my PCGS set. ;)

Love the matched sets.
    My 2019's are in MS66 and the 2020's are in MS65.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS "Love the matched sets."

I couldn't decide on 65 or 66, I thought the 65 might be easier so I went with that, I think it would have been easier in 66.
    It also would have been easier if I would have done the early release labels, the classic blue was a challenge in 65.

• Options

@Joe_360 said:
    @Jzyskowski1: "Sounds like more expenses than your accounting for..."

could be right, but it's my hobby, working from home saves on gas, I don't play golf or have a monster-truck, so to your point, I enjoyed the hunt and the silver that came with it!!!

Hey! Stop revealing our secrets by mentioning the "S" word!🤣😂

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea what these bring on ebay, but the author of the article likely got a "surprise" form 1099 from ebay after selling all those!

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    I have received only 1 back as change and it was a river of no return from the post office.

Congratulations! That is an impressive set and I love the matching labels as well😎

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

Love the matched sets.
    Wayne

Did you find them or buy them?

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@WAYNEAS said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

Love the matched sets.
    Wayne

Did you find them or buy them?

All purchases.
    I am doing sets that contain: First Week Discovery, Early Find and Regular Business Strikes, so each year has 15 coins required for "My" sets.
    Still working on FWs and EFs.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

I have some Early Finds. If you want, send me a PM.

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    I have some Early Finds. If you want, send me a PM.

PM sent.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

Here is one of my 2019 W trios.
    First week of Discovery

Early Find

Regular Business strike

Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:

• Options

I knew these were a relative rarity but did not know they were this kind of being looked for. I am in Dallas and kept one of the three War in the Pacific W's and the one Lowell I got in circulation.
    I do not get much change but will start to look more carefully.
    I live in the city of Dallas.

• Options

@aj2525rr said:
    I knew these were a relative rarity but did not know they were this kind of being looked for. I am in Dallas and kept one of the three War in the Pacific W's and the one Lowell I got in circulation.
    I do not get much change but will start to look more carefully.
    I live in the city of Dallas.

Yeah, they tend to pop up when you least expect it and are definitely worth more than face value😉

• Options
    coinz900coinz900 Posts: 22 ✭✭✭

Nice write up, Derrick!

Frank Sawin
    18 Year Old Numismatist

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not done any roll-searching, just the usual everyday looking at change. So far, I haven't found many - but just today I got the San Antonio, which is my 3rd. 7 more to go.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any updates?

65's and 66's aren't good enough. Let's see some 67's or 68's and not ones you bought, the ones you found. 😃

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went through a $500 sealed box recently, and only found one. Geezzz.... :(

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2022 12:22AM

@robkool said:
    I went through a $500 sealed box recently, and only found one. Geezzz.... :(

Advice:

Stay Persistent!

Believe me. Do you know how many "Skunk" boxes I experienced?
    Tons of them.
    :D
    Keep on hunting. You'll reap in the goods, too.
    :)

Analogy:

You know Babe Ruth or Hank Aaron and how many homeruns they hit?
    A Ton!
    Do you know how many times those two guys struck out?
    A Ton!
    Get my point?

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am still 'striking out'... although I am checking pocket change... not roll or box searching. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited April 30, 2022 5:11AM

@OAKSTAR said:
    Any updates?

65's and 66's aren't good enough. Let's see some 67's or 68's and not ones you bought, the ones you found. 😃

Here is one of mine I found! 😎

Never found or bought an MS68😉

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found 2 2020 West Point quarters this week in change. Only makes 4 W's I have ever found.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭

I have still not gotten a W quarter.

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@OAKSTAR said:
    Any updates?

Here is one of mine I found! 😎

Never found or bought an MS68😉

The 68's are allusive for sure!!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait...no photos of any of the 1000?!
    You know what we say if there are no photos... :wink:

Well at least we've been seeing the pics of @joeykoins 100+ W's!!! :blush:

Here are my 14.
    One isn't pictured because it's currently at our host getting graded :smiley:
    It was the very first one I found (V75) and made me emotional on the spot about my Grandpa and his two Purple Hearts from WW2, I am the keeper of one of them.
    Hoping for a MS65 on the W quarter but it honestly doesn't matter, it was one of about 3 coins I sent with a few orders to PCGS for fully sentimental reasons for the first time ever :smile:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@Kurisu ...
    Nice collection! Please share your grade and post pics of your W when you get it back from our host!😎

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭

I found my share of them early in 2009 but not that many in 2020. I stopped looking when they started to not let me have boxes in 2000 and sold all I had found.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I might start looking harder since I see a NGC MS69 sold for $75K on eBay.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder if there's and sealed boxes of uncirc. 2019/2020 quarters sitting on the shelf at a bank or maybe an unopened monster bag at a FED branch? I came across a sealed 2019 box in late 2020, so I guess it's possible.

The things I don’t always agree with are always worth considering.

• Options

@derryb said:
    Wonder if there's and sealed boxes of uncirc. 2019/2020 quarters sitting on the shelf at a bank or maybe an unopened monster bag at a FED branch? I came across a sealed 2019 box in late 2020, so I guess it's possible.

No question there are. 50 or 60 years from now you will hear about sealed boxes being discovered.

• Options
    smuglrsmuglr Posts: 407 ✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2022 8:27PM

For the TLDR thread, which I did read, as it's always good to get more information on the W's, it should be noted for anyone newer to the search that there were actually 4 million added to the AMP and WFP releases as none were in the Lowell and American Samoa releases, so maybe a higher W success rate overall in those?

Also I found interesting in my search (in a north central state, so mostly D mint coins) that I found many Lowell and only a few American Memorial (which came from P mint rolls). And again with the 2020 release I found many American Samoa (all from D mint rolls) but zero Weir Farm while a fellow searcher in PA, who searched dozens of new boxes of P mint Weir Farm found hundreds of Weir Farm W's and not a single American Samoa. I would be interested if others had similar experiences?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file