Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Chasing West Point Quarters

Discussed here often, many of us have still yet to see a 2019 or 2020 West Point Quarter, at least not in circulation that is.

Today, we hear from a collector that estimates they have found around 1,000 in their two years of searching. The 2019-W River of No Return Quarters are where they really hit, finding over 250 in boxes.

Full article: https://www.pcgs.com/news/chasing-west-point-quarters

Want our top articles delivered to your e-mail inbox bi-weekly? Join our e-newsletter here: https://www.pcgs.com/newsletter

Comments

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep them coming!

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 462 ✭✭✭

Im playing the West Point golf course tomorrow. Ill look for some ;)

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really doubt they were evenly distributed across the US. They probably were concentrated in 2-5 large metropolitan areas in anticipation that they would disperse from there.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:
    I really doubt they were evenly distributed across the US. They probably were concentrated in 2-5 large metropolitan areas in anticipation that they would disperse from there.

For the 2019 W's they were randomly mixed into other P and D business strikes so I suspect the cities with a federal reserve got the majority of them. They claimed to have mixed 2020 W's into circulated backdate quarters as well but I'm not 100% sure.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well Colorado wasn’t one of those places. Been looking since day one and have never found one in the wild. I’ve got first week of discovery and several others. But nothing in the wild. With people looking. We are a world class resort area but the days of traveling with change is over. Used to see a variety.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

@TurtleCat said:

For the 2019 W's they were randomly mixed into other P and D business strikes so I suspect the cities with a federal reserve got the majority of them. They claimed to have mixed 2020 W's into circulated backdate quarters as well but I'm not 100% sure.

The problem is that the economy is sluggish in some districts or some just tend to ship coins in rather than getting an inflow. If you live in one of these areas any W quarter you get will be well traveled. But other areas have a large inflow of new coins and in these areas you can find some. A check a few rolls each week and found one in them and I got one nice BU in my pocket change.

I expect to get a couple more before they're all gone from circulation in three or four years.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭

I have yet to find a W here in Illinois. I’ve been checking my change, not searching rolls. Lots of new Washington crossing the Delaware’s, they have been everywhere here, almost proof like.

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Calling @WQuarterFreddie!

I was on the golf course all day today and just saw this thread. Great article! Happy to see this young man enjoys the hunt as much as me. The W quarters got me interested in coin collecting😎

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I (still) don't think they circulated. I think that 99% of those "found" came out of rolls or bags. No one got one as change from Dunkin.

• Options

@TurtleCat said:

Here is a link to an article that lists the distribution locations for the W quarters:

https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/us-mint-details-distribution-for-first-2020-w-quarter-dollar

• Options

@derryb said:
    I have been searching an average of 20 sealed quarter boxes a week for the past two years. Have found and sold many thousands of W quarters, at one time supplying large dealers with hundreds at a time. I used part of the proceeds to pay cash for a new SUV to give me greater comfort during my weekly 3-days of "bank runs." So much for retirement.

Uncirculated new W quarters normally only appear in a sealed box that contains nothing but shiny new quarters that are all the same new, national park quarter. Upon opening a sealed box one can determine if it contains new W's simply by looking at the roll enders of the first row of quarters. If they are recycled quarters there is no need to open even one roll from the box unless one wants to look for Ws that got circulated and then re-rolled. I just close it up and trade it with the bank for a sealed box. They love the fact that they are still in carrier rolls and not customer "junk" rolls.

Here's how the supply chain for the W's works:

• The P & D mints strike circulation coins and sends them to Federal Reserve banks (and FED branches) for entry into the circulation system. Quarters are shipped in $50,000 face value "ballistic" bags.
    • FED provides new coins to local, private armored carriers (Loomis, Brinks, etc.) who are contracted by the banks to move money into and out of the banks. This is how all new coins enter the economy. Banks no longer order coins directly from the FED.
    • Armored carriers have two sources for the coins that they roll and supply to the banks. (1) Recycled coins that get picked up from the banks in large quantities (Coin-stars, etc.) and get re-rolled by the carrier and (2) new coins supplied in bulk to the carriers by the FED banks when carriers need more than what exists in the current supply of old coins.
    • In 2019 one million West Point struck quarters were added to each P & D National Park quarter issue (five different quarters) for a total of 10 million W's for the year. With the first couple of 2019 quarter issues a bag of W quarters was included on top of each ballistic bag. The smaller bag of W's was dumped into the coin rolling drum by the carriers and mixed at the carrier site with the P&D's. This created an uneven distribution of the W's in the coin rolls with some rolls containing numerous W's. I found up to 20 W's per roll in these rolls.
    • The mint eventually started mixing the W's in the big bags before shipping to the FED. This resulted in a more even distribution of the W's in the coin rolls rolled by the carriers, normally an average of one W per every two rolls.
    • The US Mint repeated the W program in 2020 with that year's five National Park quarters providing another 10 million W's to the public.

While the mint no longer issues the W's, I continue to acquire sealed boxes of 2019 and 2020 quarters from my bank on rare occasion. I suspect these coins are just now showing up because they have been sitting in a FED branch awaiting a carrier to liberate them.

This second round of a coin "shortage" has limited my supply of sealed boxes to about eight a week. I do have a credit union that sells me six boxes a week, and what I don't search, I sell to the tellers who were so kind to me over the past two years. Many of them cannot currently get even one box from their carrier.

Dude! Really? TLDR🤣😂

• Options

@air4mdc said:
    I have yet to find a W here in Illinois. I’ve been checking my change, not searching rolls. Lots of new Washington crossing the Delaware’s, they have been everywhere here, almost proof like.

Unfortunately, the odds are not in your favor unless you search rolls from the bank. 😎

• Options

@Zoins said:
    Calling @WQuarterFreddie!

Have you seen the movie Candy Man? 😂🤣

• Options

@Kliao said:

@TurtleCat said:

Wait. What? I am not aware of the Mint making that claim🤔

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Well Colorado wasn’t one of those places. Been looking since day one and have never found one in the wild. I’ve got first week of discovery and several others. But nothing in the wild. With people looking. We are a world class resort area but the days of traveling with change is over. Used to see a variety.

Actually Denver Colorado was a distribution point. Link to article documenting this fact:

https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/us-mint-details-distribution-for-first-2020-w-quarter-dollar

• Options

@daltex said:
    I (still) don't think they circulated. I think that 99% of those "found" came out of rolls or bags. No one got one as change from Dunkin.

I agree that most were and are being found in rolls or bags. However, the "coin shortages" this year have greatly hindered the hunters so in my opinion the odds have tilted more in favor of getting one in change since banks have cut back on letting hunters search bank boxes😎

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2021 11:13PM

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@derryb said:
    I have been searching an average of 20 sealed quarter boxes a week for the past two years. Have found and sold many thousands of W quarters, at one time supplying large dealers with hundreds at a time. I used part of the proceeds to pay cash for a new SUV to give me greater comfort during my weekly 3-days of "bank runs." So much for retirement.

Uncirculated new W quarters normally only appear in a sealed box that contains nothing but shiny new quarters that are all the same new, national park quarter. Upon opening a sealed box one can determine if it contains new W's simply by looking at the roll enders of the first row of quarters. If they are recycled quarters there is no need to open even one roll from the box unless one wants to look for Ws that got circulated and then re-rolled. I just close it up and trade it with the bank for a sealed box. They love the fact that they are still in carrier rolls and not customer "junk" rolls.

• The P & D mints strike circulation coins and sends them to Federal Reserve banks (and FED branches) for entry into the circulation system. Quarters are shipped in $50,000 face value "ballistic" bags.
    • FED provides new coins to local, private armored carriers (Loomis, Brinks, etc.) who are contracted by the banks to move money into and out of the banks. This is how all new coins enter the economy. Banks no longer order coins directly from the FED.
    • Armored carriers have two sources for the coins that they roll and supply to the banks. (1) Recycled coins that get picked up from the banks in large quantities (Coin-stars, etc.) and get re-rolled by the carrier and (2) new coins supplied in bulk to the carriers by the FED banks when carriers need more than what exists in the current supply of old coins.
    • In 2019 one million West Point struck quarters were added to each P & D National Park quarter issue (five different quarters) for a total of 10 million W's for the year. With the first couple of 2019 quarter issues a bag of W quarters was included on top of each ballistic bag. The smaller bag of W's was dumped into the coin rolling drum by the carriers and mixed at the carrier site with the P&D's. This created an uneven distribution of the W's in the coin rolls with some rolls containing numerous W's. I found up to 20 W's per roll in these rolls.
    • The mint eventually started mixing the W's in the big bags before shipping to the FED. This resulted in a more even distribution of the W's in the coin rolls rolled by the carriers, normally an average of one W per every two rolls.
    • The US Mint repeated the W program in 2020 with that year's five National Park quarters providing another 10 million W's to the public.

While the mint no longer issues the W's, I continue to acquire sealed boxes of 2019 and 2020 quarters from my bank on rare occasion. I suspect these coins are just now showing up because they have been sitting in a FED branch awaiting a carrier to liberate them.

This second round of a coin "shortage" has limited my supply of sealed boxes to about eight a week. I do have a credit union that sells me six boxes a week, and what I don't search, I sell to the tellers who were so kind to me over the past two years. Many of them cannot currently get even one box from their carrier.

Dude! Really? TLDR🤣😂

Too Long Didn't Read? LOL. shorter than your six consecutive posts. And we all know you actually read it.

The things I don’t always agree with are always worth considering.

• Options
    edited September 16, 2021 11:14PM

@Kliao said:

@TurtleCat said:

W quarters were mixed only with new quarters. When new quarters containing W's get dumped into the carrier rolling tub there are sometimes old quarters still in the tub. the result is a roll of new and old quarters sometimes with a new W or two. This is also the reason a roll of new coins will sometimes contain a couple of greasy old coins.

• Options

Congratulations on making a very good deal!😎

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still check my change... no luck so far. I did get a Washington Crossing the Delaware quarter yesterday. I do cash transactions almost daily (four/five days a week), so I do get quarters in change... One day... A nice W will show up. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got only one, the "War in the Pacific" at the Chic Filet at LAX. No others...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been unable to to hunt down any W quarters in the wild.
    I did find several "Crossing the Delaware" coins thou.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    edited September 17, 2021 8:25AM

I periodically spot check a carrier wrapped roll of recycled quarters and do find an occasional circulated W quarter.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2021 9:07AM

@derryb said:

Here's how the supply chain for the W's works, at least in my local area:

• The P & D mints strike circulation coins and sends them to Federal Reserve banks (and FED branches) for entry into the circulation system. Fortunately my city has a Federal Reserve branch bank. Quarters are shipped in $50,000 face value "ballistic" bags.
    • FED provides new coins to local, private armored carriers (Loomis, Brinks, etc.) who are contracted by the banks to move money into and out of the banks. This is how new coins enter the economy. Banks no longer order coins directly from the FED nor do they normally roll their own coins. Pretty much gone are the days of coin roll wrappers that bear the name of the bank.

Thanks for the post.

It usually takes about three years for every single new coin of a given date and mint to be issued. They can get in much faster if most of the mintage is being shipped to just a few areas. They are very rarely slower though it appears 1996-'98 quarters weren't all in circulation until about 2003.

Ever since 1972 the FED has used "FIFO accounting" which mandates the oldest stocks are released first. This has resulted in coins wearing very evenly and every coin of a given date being about the same grade.

Most if not all of the FED branches don't actually handle coin now days and contract all the work. Even 20 years ago the Chicago FED had only some 80,000,000 circulated quarters in stock. These have probably all been fed into the system by now.

It's hard to get brand new rolls at any of my banks so I've missed most of the fun. I have found a couple one of which is a nice Unc.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

@cladking said:

It's hard to get brand new rolls at any of my banks so I've missed most of the fun. I have found a couple one of which is a nice Unc.

Have them order you a $500 sealed box.

• Options

@ECHOES said:
    I found only one so far 'in the wild'...

Congratulations! That is one of the harder ones to find!😎

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@cladking said:

All of the boxes in my area are circulated. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a new box of quarters. Pennies and nickels yes, but never quarters.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

@Kliao said:

@derryb said:

@cladking said:

All of the boxes in my area are circulated. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a new box of quarters. Pennies and nickels yes, but never quarters.

Boxes of new coins are the result of a carrier dumping it's latest pickup from the FED branch (new coins) into it's rolling machine tub. Supply of existing circulated coins determines the need for them to go see the FED.

• Options

@ECHOES said:

Congratulations. Another of us scores in the wild.
    I’m still without that feeling of accomplishment Someday 😉

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been searching through a box a week, lately with this 2nd coin shortage it's been much more difficult. I've found about 50 W's so far, much higher percentage if the box is brand new (only had 3 of those boxes) but the funniest part is my wife found a beautiful W in change from the grocery store! Keep looking, they do end up in the wild~

• Options

@Onastone said:
    I've been searching through a box a week, lately with this 2nd coin shortage it's been much more difficult. I've found about 50 W's so far, much higher percentage if the box is brand new (only had 3 of those boxes) but the funniest part is my wife found a beautiful W in change from the grocery store! Keep looking, they do end up in the wild~

My banks are still claiming "coin shortage" so you are fortunate to get the one box per week. Happy hunting and good luck!😎

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:

My banks are still claiming "coin shortage"

I asked one bank about this coin shortage and was told there were plenty of everything except quarters!!! "You wanna buy a box of nickels? C'mon, you sure?" Why would they put W's in the mix and then hold them back? How does that help circulation at all? When I search through a box, it gets right back into circulation... are there that many businesses that are shut down and change is no longer cycling through?? Perhaps the W on these quarters stands for What...Where?

• Options
    edited September 18, 2021 6:27AM

• Options

@Onastone said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

I asked one bank about this coin shortage and was told there were plenty of everything except quarters!!! "You wanna buy a box of nickels? C'mon, you sure?" Why would they put W's in the mix and then hold them back? How does that help circulation at all? When I search through a box, it gets right back into circulation... are there that many businesses that are shut down and change is no longer cycling through?? Perhaps the W on these quarters stands for What...Where?

Take off the tin foil hat😂🤣
    There is no conspiracy on the Mint holding back on quarters.

In my opinion part of the problem are the W quarter hunters who went crazy like the guy on here who tells us how he spent all day every day driving from bank to bank scooping up quarter boxes and then boasts how he found so many W's he was able to buy a new vehicle. 🙄

At one point he admitted on this forum that he had so many quarter boxes hoarded in his garage because he wasn't exchanging them each time just accumulating them.

Well, when the banks closed their lobbies last year people like him couldn't return the searched boxes they had accumulated and thus helped to create the quarter shortage we have experienced this summer.😎

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@derryb said:

Dude! Really? TLDR🤣😂

Too Long Didn't Read? LOL. shorter than your six consecutive posts. And we all know you actually read it.

That was one of the strangest comment I've ever read on this forum. If that was too long to read, one has to wonder how they ever got through high school. I'm not a quarter chaser but never knew much of what has been added here.

I DID read it, thanks.

Mark

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ECHOES said:

Did you score this coin at night? lol
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    edited September 18, 2021 7:01AM

@WQuarterFreddie Well that makes sense. I did also experience a bout of backed up quarters where the lobbies were closed, I couldn't return change. I had to roll them back up and cycle them through a grocery store. I guess a better line of questions would be how many W's have been found, how many are left, and when will the system return back to a regular flow? I thought of giving up the search until I found another W, then I wanted to keep looking for awhile more.

Thanks, that hat was uncomfortable.
    Wow, they even have these for cats!!

• Options
    edited September 18, 2021 10:04AM

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@Onastone said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

Take off the tin foil hat😂🤣
    There is no conspiracy on the Mint holding back on quarters.

In my opinion part of the problem are the W quarter hunters who went crazy like the guy on here who tells us how he spent all day every day driving from bank to bank scooping up quarter boxes and then boasts how he found so many W's he was able to buy a new vehicle. 🙄

At one point he admitted on this forum that he had so many quarter boxes hoarded in his garage because he wasn't exchanging them each time just accumulating them.

You failed to mention that he did say he exchanges the opened boxes for sealed ones. No need to hoard. You do realize that acquiring and exchanging up to 20 boxes a week means that I have a few on hand at any given time, right? I mentioned the car to give reference to how many W's I was finding and how readily available they were for those who took the time and effort to find them.

• Options

@Onastone said:
    @WQuarterFreddie Well that makes sense. I did also experience a bout of backed up quarters where the lobbies were closed, I couldn't return change. I had to roll them back up and cycle them through a grocery store. I guess a better line of questions would be how many W's have been found, how many are left, and when will the system return back to a regular flow? I thought of giving up the search until I found another W, then I wanted to keep looking for awhile more.

Thanks, that hat was uncomfortable.
    Wow, they even have these for cats!!

I love it! Enjoy your weekend and the thrill of the hunt! Definitely keep looking as you are one of the lucky ones who can still get quarter boxes. Please post your success when you find your next one😎

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Stats:
    Lowell = 10
    AMP = 13
    WitP = 107
    SAM = 57
    RoNR = 43
    Bat = 45
    Weir = 17
    SRB = 33
    Vermont = 28
    TallGrass = 93
    Total = 446

I still have 5 rolls with W enders also: Sold ~ 6 rolls with W enders. I was searching only new boxes until ~March when I started with circulated rolls...

Have made a few trades with W Quarter Freddie (a good guy) - to date sold 307, gave away 29, keeping 70 (7 full sets) and traded 40

• Options

@Joe_360 said:
    My Stats:
    Lowell = 10
    AMP = 13
    WitP = 107
    SAM = 57
    RoNR = 43
    Bat = 45
    Weir = 17
    SRB = 33
    Vermont = 28
    TallGrass = 93
    Total = 446

I still have 5 rolls with W enders also: Sold ~ 6 rolls with W enders. I was searching only new boxes until ~March when I started with circulated rolls...

Have made a few trades with W Quarter Freddie (a good guy) - to date sold 307, gave away 29, keeping 70 (7 full sets) and traded 40

Impressive stats and thank you for your kind words! Enjoy the thrill of the hunt!😎

• Options

Is it just me or are the moderators starting another brawl. Good gosh. 58 or. 59 or 60. That thread was screwy to say the least. Now this is headed to heck in a hand basket.

It’s your forum but dang. Talk about bad luck. These wonderful people are not just arguing but it’s getting nasty.

I can guarantee one thing. Most any newbie who happened upon this thread or the do we need a AU 59? Probably read the posts of some of our elder members and said good bye. Shameful

• Options
    edited September 18, 2021 3:05PM

AND NOW BACK TO THE SHOW......😂🤣

Where is joeykoins? I expected to hear from him by now! Maybe he is giving Snoopy a rest from all of his happy dancing!😎

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2021 11:24AM

Another Marsh-Billings...

• Options

@Joe_360 said:
    Another Marsh-Billings...

Shhh....🤫 others are starting to realize the W quarters are still out there to be found!🤣😂

Congratulations on the find! Happy hunting!😎

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb and @WQuarterFreddie - what is the average grade of W quarters you find and what is the rough distribution of grades? Have you discovered or found any varieties?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file