Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

~ Super Sliders 4 The Weekend... Post A Great AU58! :) ~

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

1925 Norse-American Centennial Thin Silver Medal

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

What exactly is a slider?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

Well since we are on a coin forum and not at White Castle... A slider is a CH AU coin which minus a tad bit of rub from brief circulation looks CH or GEM UNC.

• Options

@Broadstruck said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Well since we are on a coin forum and not at White Castle... A slider is a CH AU coin which minus a tad bit of rub from brief circulation looks CH or GEM UNC.

Is that something an average collector can identify or do you really need to be a grader to determine that?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    1872-S H10C MPD FS-302 PCGS AU58 Gold CAC

Wow. Love it!

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@Broadstruck said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Is that something an average collector can identify or do you really need to be a grader to determine that?

You should be able to tell on your own that your coin betters other same graded examples and looks closer to MS64 than AU58.

Your 1937 Buffalo fits the bill as a slider.

• Options

Thanks @Broadstruck! 👍🏻

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread... And definitely some 'sliders' in the above post. Remember, grades are the result of trained opinions (when done by trained/experienced individuals), and as such, subject to interpretations of others. Ergo - sliders and sometimes outright disagreement. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    Hey, @Mr_Spud , “A few”? By the time I got to the bottom, I had to go shave again, 😂.

Steve

Sorry about that, got carried away

Mr_Spud

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have any but I do enjoy the thread. :smile:

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:

@winesteven said:
    Hey, @Mr_Spud , “A few”? By the time I got to the bottom, I had to go shave again, 😂.

Steve

Hey, NO apologies necessary. We're all proud of our coins. I was just poking fun at your use of the term "A few".

Have a nice weekend.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

i was told that its a coin that slides into ms territory where it does not grade wise. hope thats right

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:

@winesteven said:

Steve

HaHaHa! I thought the same thing but forgot to comment once I got to the end of enjoying your pictures. Nice bunch of coins.

Mark

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

A slider is a high-end AU coin that looks uncirculated at first glance. The term slider came about to describe any uncirculated coin that slided across a countertop or tabletop and received some slight high-point wear.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

A slider is any coin with only a slight amount of wear. It's a slang term rather than a technical grading term. Your coin can be considered to be a slider.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    A slider is any coin with only a slight amount of wear. It's a slang term rather than a technical grading term. Your coin can be considered to be a slider.

So theoretically, a AU slider should, could or would grade MS.......correct?

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any coin with only the slightest wear is a slider but I also thought the term was 'coined' for some Morgan $ years where the coins were released to the public in large #s only to be used once, like in a saloon, and then returned to banks where they sat in bags since there was little future demand for the silver $'s. The 80-O, 83-S and 86-0 were I believe such years and Highfill used the term sliders noting to be careful when buying bags or rolls of those years as most were not MS, even if the Mint bag was sewn.

• Options
    edited April 22, 2023 3:33PM

These ones that I carried as pocket pieces for 1 month before submitting them to PCGS in hopes of getting AU grades for my circulated type sets are perfect examples of the word “sliders”. I rubbed each one of them between my thumb and fingers each day during that month. I was hoping to get them to grade 58 to match my older type set coins. They all came back as MS even though there is slight “rub” on all of them. I don’t plan to, but it would be a fun experiment to use them for pocket pieces for a longer period to see just how much it takes to get the coins to be more obviously circulated.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is @Mr_Spud the one that collects just AU coins? Or was that someone else i read in a thread awhile back?

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options

@Shane6596 said:
    Is @Mr_Spud the one that collects just AU coins? Or was that someone else i read in a thread awhile back?

I try to get mainly AU coins, it’s rare that I pursue grades higher than that, but I still have a fair amount that are MS

Mr_Spud

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file