Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why would somebody do this to a rare coin

For fun I would like to know your theories on
why someone would do this to an R-5 coin

Comments

• Options

@ProofCollection said:
    When was this done? Was it known to be rare at the time of mutilation?

I have no idea. But it's the rarest 1805 variety

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would someone do this to an R6 coin?

1840-O WB6 (R6)

Why would someone buy it? Hmmm.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 373 ✭✭✭

He thought it was counterfeit.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a collector, all they needed it for was 25 cents and it was still worth 25 cents. Bored to the bone, I would imagine.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

It probably was not known to be a rare coin when it was done. I think the Browning quarter variety book came out in the mid 1920s.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure but that's a shame. B5 is very tough to find in higher grade.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another sad example.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2023 3:51PM

Long before it was a Rare coin, it was a scarce coin that someone carried for a while and used between their knife and the tabletop when cutting a cigar

LoL edited to agree with Perry
    (Wrote before reading the replies)

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    marmacmarmac Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭

I've been asking myself the same question on this one-

• Options
    wozymodowozymodo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

My guess was Joseph Wright, but he died in 1793. :)

• Options

@marmac said:

Wow what happened to that half cent ?

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damage on rare coins is usually done before they became rare to collectors. There weren't many coin collectors in the 19th century.

• Options

@marmac said:

I had to look up the coin what a shame still a very cool one of a kind piece

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought of the cigar cutting too when I saw the image. I’ve heard that this once was a common thing to do, cut cigars on a coin.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    marmacmarmac Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭

@Bustquarterhound

Born on a rough day at the mint followed by an encounter with some hooligan is my guess-

• Options

@rec78 said:
    Damage on rare coins is usually done before they became rare to collectors. There weren't many coin collectors in the 19th century.

@rec78 said:

@rec78 said:

I agree however the damage looks more recent. Done maybe from a disgruntled significant other

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

they did not know it was a R-5 coin, or did and it was owned by an ex

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back then, many silver coins (the 20c was favored) were used as surfaces to cut the tip of a cigar.
    You will see blackened stains on these, along with the cuts. It appears on the coin above those black marks/stains were
    harshly removed.

peacockcoins

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it's a Philadelphia issue. Fortin-102. The lowest mintage business strike dime in US history.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bustquarterhound said:

We were all kids at one point.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    lobo54lobo54 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@Bustquarterhound said:

We were all kids at one point.

Yup. As a kid in the 50's/60's I don't know how may NY Yankee baseball cards I put in the spokes of my bike (RED SOX fan here), but that's why the survivors are so valuable. ;)

I would rather join with an army of sheep led by a lion, than an army of lions led by sheep.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a vast population out there that are not coin collectors and have no idea of rarity, collectability, value beyond face. To coin collectors, this is a terrible thing, to non collectors, it is meaningless. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Erasmus loathed Martha due to her rejection of his proposal of marriage. He also hated her pet parrot because it mocked him. This coin reminded Erasmus of her and her dumb bird, so he took his frustration out on the coin.

(This is my hypothesis) :D

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

The thread title has a false premise. The person who did this didn't do it to a "rare coin". When he did it, it was only pocket change which was worth only face value.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess back then without radio, television, telephones and such, people just got bored.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2023 10:41AM

Never underestimate the stupidity of many. Nothing is surpristing.

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

He lost it in a divorce settlement and didn't want his wife to have it in good condition... B)

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin also looks like it was scrubbed with a brillo pad or baking soda. :)

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:
    He lost it in a divorce settlement and didn't want his wife to have it in good condition... B)

Or maybe his wife found it before the divorce settlement?
    Lance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file