Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Details Coins - Do You Have Them In Your Collection?

Comments

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's like drinking cheap beer. Why bother?

Actually, I do have one. I bought this coin from a friend of my mother as a favor to my mother. It was nice to spend time with them discussing coins. I cherish the memory.

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

My hole collection would be details-graded if they were in plastic. A couple of dozen or so are entombed. I still collect avidly and need hundreds more.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damage? Check
    Cleaned? Check
    Overdate? ????

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on how harsh the cleaning or how questionable the toning. And if one can see the possible reasons behind the intentions or unintentional.... If there was something like a scratch or carbon spotting that needed to be covered up or removed. Other factors involve availability and staying within a budget. Another, timing, ending the waiting game.
    Bought two varieties of recent, an unc. details 1939 Dbl Mont. and a AU details 1943/2-P.
    But the Dbl Mont looks more AU and the over-date looks far more unc, almost PL. And the 1939 has enough skin left to show some satiny-type luster to make it an unc. coin.
    So...for what I paid, I'm very happy.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

No although I have when I first started collecting

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no slabbed details coins... but I have coins raw that were acquired over the years that would get details if submitted. Some were just given to me, and one or two picked up at shows from junk bins. I like them, they stay in the collection. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only coins I have that are "PCGS Genuine" Details, are coins that I submitted myself and they came back that way. I have never purchased one that I recall.

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

I had some slabbed gold "details" coins and sold them all.

• Options
    psuman08psuman08 Posts: 253 ✭✭✭

Yes, a 1878 VAM-9 Morgan from the first set of dies in an ANACS holder. Other than that I have not ever bought a graded details coin.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finding a nice early US coin that is straight-graded and not damaged is a bit of a challenge. Looking for a nice F/VF chain cent and haven't seen one for a while. HA is auctioning one now that has bad scratches on the reverse, yet it is graded. Some half dismes out there that would never get a straight grade if details criteria were consistently applied. Another reason I'm forgiving on some of the very early coins. The services do it given sufficient rarity and age - why should we be any different?

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the price is right... yes. Here's one in our host's slab (Details - Cleaning) that I picked up at a Stacks auction just above bullion price (BP included) some years ago. If I put it up on BST today for anything near melt how long would it last? In today's gold market I would come close to doubling my investment.

Mark

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭✭

In general, no details coins in my collection. Exceptions:
    1) a few older date Carson City Seated Liberty or Trade dollars in my Carson City Silver Dollar collection. Affordability was a primary factor, but the details coins in this set are ones that appealed to me in some way. (see images)
    2) I had my great-uncle's IHC full set slabbed in memoriam. Some had some corrosion, but I didn't care - it was his collection, exactly as is.
    3) Some early collecting year learning lessons, which I have moved along (with full disclosure of the issues)

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2023 5:11PM

I specialize in rare die varieties of silver dollars. It would be idiotic to dismiss coins with problems, especial very early dates. And it is important to note that there are many cases where a details [un]graded coin has less of a problem (like cleaning) than peers in straight-graded holders. That is the reality. If the details are all there and it presents well, it is a worthwhile coin if it is rare. If an ultrarare die variety or die state, it could still be high on the condition census. I don't walk away from those specimens unless the price is way beyond reasonable. A big problem is that certain grading services dismiss them entirely in their census/population report. It puts collectors and dealers in the blind to the real populations of those early American important pieces.

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like slabbed details. (unless rare) But I do have a fair amount raw in my collection.

I love love tokens though, a piece of history. :heart:

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HoledandCreative said:
    1861? not in a slab, but worthy.

You mean 1861-D? How about some better pics?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2023 6:00PM

@braddick said:
    Only if they're super rare and price prohibitive otherwise.
    Here is an example I recently removed from my safety deposit box for viewing:

Since I'm the only one who laughed at your post, I'll ask: To me, this is a well-circulated, common date Franklin half, not even worth the price of getting it graded (even if it weren't cleaned); hence not "super rare and price prohibitive." Am I missing something?

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    There are problem coins in straight graded slabs. The most famous is the 1870-S gold $3 which is unique and is cleaned with obvious graffiti.

True, but now you are getting into "market acceptability". I'm probably or potentially in the minority but consider your example "market acceptable". There isn't another available. Another one is the unique 1898 "Single 9" ZAR pond. It has the first owner's initial's engraved on the obverse (small but noticeable) and is in an NGC MS-63 holder. I don't think it should be "details" graded either. I consider both entirely different from any coins where numerous or many are available, either in similar quality or otherwise.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

I almost forgot I have this one too. It's one of my dupes and I bought it for the attribution and to see exactly what a "lightly cleaned" example looked like...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    bigmountainlionbigmountainlion Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

Almost all of my details coins are au or unc key dates, never actively tried to sell any, but got offers for about $$4000 over my buy price for 1800 $10 and high relief $20. So I sold those. I don’t buy harshly cleaned or whizzed, generally if it’s not obviously cleaned, I don’t mind if price is reasonable. I do regret buying a genuine details1889-cc Morgan though

• Options
    silviosisilviosi Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

Details coins? No The only exception will be the Constantinou 1 concave cooper coin sister with the gold one represent his first wife..

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, hundreds of them only they aren't in slabs

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@WCC said:

@PerryHall said:
    There are problem coins in straight graded slabs. The most famous is the 1870-S gold $3 which is unique and is cleaned with obvious graffiti.

True, but now you are getting into "market acceptability". I'm probably or potentially in the minority but consider your example "market acceptable". There isn't another available. Another one is the unique 1898 "Single 9" ZAR pond. It has the first owner's initial's engraved on the obverse (small but noticeable) and is in an NGC MS-63 holder. I don't think it should be "details" graded either. I consider both entirely different from any coins where numerous or many are available, either in similar quality or otherwise.

So, if a coin has a hole drilled in it, the grading services should ignore it and give it a straight grade if it's the finest known and unique? I disagree. Grading should be consistent within the series and rarity shouldn't be used as a grading factor.

If it’s very rare, maybe it’s important to know the exact grade instead of a general term.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ownerofawheatiehorde said:

@PerryHall said:

@WCC said:

@PerryHall said:

So, if a coin has a hole drilled in it, the grading services should ignore it and give it a straight grade if it's the finest known and unique? I disagree. Grading should be consistent within the series and rarity shouldn't be used as a grading factor.

If it’s very rare, maybe it’s important to know the exact grade instead of a general term.

Why not "Details AU53 HOLED"?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@Ownerofawheatiehorde said:

@PerryHall said:

@WCC said:

@PerryHall said:

Why not "Details AU53 HOLED"?

That would be the best choice, I don't know why they don't do that.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2023 6:34AM

I don't have any "details" coins that are certified. I have a couple coins that came back in body bags years ago that would now be in holders under the current policy. This 1911-D quarter eagle came back "improperly cleaned." I think that the cleaned part is to the right of the eagle's tail. There may have been a copper spot there.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

For common things, I obviously enjoy problem free specimens like all of you.
    But when, we are talking rare pieces of exonumia? Sometimes details grade is all that is known. So you take what you get, and you don't get upset.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin rests in an Unc. Details/ altered surfaces slab from Pcgs. I bought it raw and submitted it thinking it was a 66+

Trade $'s
  • Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@WCC said:

@PerryHall said:

No, that's not my claim. 1870-S $3 gold and my example totally different than the one you just gave.

My claim is that "market acceptable" should be determined by those who primarily buy it. I see this implied standard with early US copper presumably due to EAC and I agree with it.

This as opposed to Morgan dollars which I'd describe as an "investor" dominated series and which can be completed in high quality in one day, excluding arbitrarily narrow criteria. There is a noticeable to huge number of comparable coins, so the criteria for "market acceptable" should be much stricter.

• Options
    bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 785 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've learned from my mistakes, AU50, details:

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not buy, and have never bought details coins.

However, I have an 1801 Half Dollar that I bought for $86. raw back in 1985. I damaged the surface with a rubber band when I had it stored in plastic bag. I submitted the coin to PCGS and it came back Tooled AG03 details. I still have the coin somewhere.

That 1801 is the only certified "details" coin that I own.

• Options
    ShurkeShurke Posts: 193 ✭✭✭

I’ve got a couple of cleaned coins that I submitted thinking they were copacetic. Since they fooled me the first time, I keep them around for reference.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

G4 Details (ex NGC)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dabble in raw Lincoln cents when I get the urge to fill a album. None of my PCGS coins are details.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    Picker1954Picker1954 Posts: 183 ✭✭✭

I liked the strike on this. ANACS AU details

• Options
    Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Picker1954 said:

How is that details? The rim ding?

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• Options
    Picker1954Picker1954 Posts: 183 ✭✭✭

@Shane6596 said:

@Picker1954 said:

How is that details? The rim ding?

Cleaned

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends on what a person collects. Type collectors don't need or want detail coins, generally. Collectors of rare die varieties will always have some coins that won't make it into a graded holder, in some cases they only exist in "details" condition. The collections of numismatic authors Russ Logan, Jules Reiver, and John McCloskey were full of details coins.

I have 10-20, not sure of the number because most are raw and some could make it into a graded holder. Holed, counterstamped, rare varieties, dramatic late die states, or coins I just happen to like.

This half dime recently was auctioned at Stack's. I bid, but came up short. It is the finest quality for the variety, has a cool punched hole from a rectangle nail. Yes, it is unique. I should have bid higher:

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file