Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any collections unrelated to coin collecting?

Comments

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ponderit said:
    Ancient Indian artifacts is another one of my hobbies / collections. These are anywhere from 1500 to 14,000 years old depending n the type.

One of those tools looks like a can opener. Hmmm.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    DreamcrusherDreamcrusher Posts: 210 ✭✭✭✭

I collect automobile stock certificates, presidential biographies and I have a 1951 license plate from each state to go with my 1951 Buick Roadmaster. I have included Hawaii and Alaska even though they were not states at the time and I also have one from D.C.. Together they equal 51.
    BTW, I have a stock certificate that is signed by David Dunbar Buick. I wish he could see the Roadmaster.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

And if you can call it "a collection."

A more recent picture ...

That's an unbelievable HO layout. How did you ever have time to work on it and deal in coins at the same time.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mbogoman- Even though she bought them in Saint Petersburg and Progue back in the early 90's, I suppose they can still be fake.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    Riley1955Riley1955 Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

I feel I'm in the wrong post. :(

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    @mbogoman- Even though she bought them in Saint Petersburg and Progue back in the early 90's, I suppose they can still be fake.

I was in Moscow and St Petersburg a few years ago. The street markets and tourist shops were crawling with fakes. There were only a couple places we went that dealt with the real stuff - authentic Fedoskino, Palekh, Mstera and Kholui boxes

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool thread.
    Interesting stuff.
    I collect interesting license plates.
    The 0785 PW with the yellow permanent reg sticker is my late father's P.O.W. plate

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

Duke National Championship Banners

And boys soccer cleats

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

To quote the great Bill Murray:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80g-M1rPX5M

Tim

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

Throughout my life, I have acquired, through various means, (such as finding stuff, trading for stuff, buying stuff, or having stuff given to me,) the following items:
    Fossils, rocks, beads, fake jewelry, real jewelry, broken jewelry, replica arrowheads, watches, wallets, knives & swords, animal teeth, human teeth, animal bones (human bones someday maybe? I've always been interested in skulls,) cut gemstones, bullets, random souvenirs, sea glass, pottery, chess sets, meteorites, bottles, clutter on my dresser, stickers, seeds from the weeds in the front yard, candy from easter 5 years ago (I found KitKat without the wafers once,) seashells, and mummified organisms (I went through a phase after they taught us how to do it in school for some reason. The toad in the picture hasn't changed for at least five years.)
    I am decently knowledgeable with rocks and fossils, and I'd consider them my second-favorite things to collect.

Young Numismatist

• Options
    DreamcrusherDreamcrusher Posts: 210 ✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

R Atkinson Fox 1860-1935
    Celebrated illustrator and painter. Painted all the presidents and king of England. I have 26 original oil paintings. You can still find his prints on eBay

The last paining reminds me of Maxfield Parrish> @2dueces said:

R Atkinson Fox 1860-1935
    Celebrated illustrator and painter. Painted all the presidents and king of England. I have 26 original oil paintings. You can still find his prints on eBay

The last painting reminds me of something Maxfield Parish would have done.

• Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

I also collect German medals from ww1 and before.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

@BillJones said:

That's an unbelievable HO layout. How did you ever have time to work on it and deal in coins at the same time.

Thanks!

I am retired.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BucketHeadBucketHead Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

@Glen2022 said:
    Do wives count?

Talk about an expensive hobby.

• Options
    BucketHeadBucketHead Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

@MapsOnFire said:

Yes. Fire insurance maps. By far the largest private collection, 700+.

That’s amazing. Love Sanborn Fire maps!

I’ve been collecting maps and prints for almost 40 years. Lost half my collection in a divorce but I guess it was better than giving my attorney the equivalent value getting it back.

My earliest are Munster woodblocks from the 1550’s through 1590’s.
    Sanborn maps have been hard to find and are pricy. Closest thing in my collection are FW Beers county atlas maps from the late 19th century.

Presently working on completing a collection of Alain Mallets prints and maps from Description de la Universe (1683 printing.) Have about 30 pages to go.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have about a dozen pieces of Edgefield pottery. No photos though.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

My advisor used to ask prospective students if they collected things like stamps, coins, marbles, etc. He believed that people who were collectors would have the innate interest and attention to detail necessary for working with insects and other invertebrates than those who didn't. He was an avid stamp collector who loved their diversity.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dreamcrusher said:

@2dueces said:

R Atkinson Fox 1860-1935

The last paining reminds me of Maxfield Parrish> @2dueces said:

R Atkinson Fox 1860-1935

The last painting reminds me of something Maxfield Parish would have done.

Same era and sometimes confused with Parish.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ gumby1234
    That’s really impressive. I only have one signed photo and a small collection of nascar model cars.
    My signed piece is the center of my collection. Thanks to a forum member who also took time awhile back to PM me about a giveaway which resulted in my first gold. Also, now my avatar 😉. All this in addition to invaluable help with my Roosie album.

Thanks buddy 🙏

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2023 6:26AM

@Jzyskowski1 You're welcome.
    Edited to add im still looking for the Rusty Wallace autograph. I am missing others as well. Davey Allison is one that I can't locate either. There's probably 50 or more autographs hiding in some dark corner.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wev said:
    I research pre-1850 American silversmiths and have a mark collection of about 1200 pieces. These are a few favorite serving pieces. The center two ladles are 16 1/2" long for scale.

Send those to me when you're done with them! >:)B):p

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59
    Holy moly. That fantastic. @gumby1234 might have an idea. Thanks for posting 👍🏼

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

@clarkbar04 said:
    It wasn't intended as a collection but I have 3 "classic" vehicles, a 1970 chevy truck which is the only one that is currently in operation, a 1968 GTO convertible I did a frame off restoration on in my garage, and a 1962 pontiac catalina convertible that I have barely started on.

I am jealous. I bought a 70 C-10 Chevy pickup new and had it until 1999. It had 229,000 miles on it and the only thing replaced was 2 clutches, an alternator and water pump. Sold it to an 18 year old who had been pestering me since he was 15 to buy it and finally sold it to him. He later restored it beautifully. Wish I still had it.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    @Steven59
    Holy moly. That fantastic. @gumby1234 might have an idea. Thanks for posting 👍🏼

I do have his signature on the Alugard car...................

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:

Just a sample. I've gone to many races and car shows over the years. Stood in many lines to get these. I dont go anymore.

Jeff Gordon at Eldora Speedway at 15 years old.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@Steven59 Holy Cow Im guessing your favorite NASCAR driver is Rusty Wallace LOL. I have lots of the old Racing Champions 1/64 scale die cast. I have the Rusty Wallace one that has Miller on it. Back then they wouldn't put beer or tobacco on them because of political correctness. Also have the Budweiser Bill Elliott one from back then. The 1/64 scale weren't as nice looking as the later years. I haven't been to any race in ages and probably will sell most of my stuff soon. I still have all the memories of meeting the drivers and even hung out with a couple of them back in the day.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

Here's a 1/24 I dont see on your wall.

• Options

Here's a pic of a model I built years ago. From Scale Model enthusiast magazine.
    I entered 2 contests took 3rd place in one and got photo in magazine.

• Options
    CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 279 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect beetles that occur in the state of Iowa. Over 10,000 specimens representing 2,030 species, and counting.(https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/rw/y8tc4mr3rl7g.jpg "")

• Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Yes.
    Political Buttons for FDR ...

Those who lost to him ...

This is only an introcution ...

I really like your model railroad. I have been working on one since 1996. Mine is in n gauge with a Canadian Pacifice theme dated around 1983. It started as a simple oval layout. Now it is all digital and computer driven. You pretty much have to be an electrician, artist, architect, and carpenter all in one. I scratch-built some one the structures, etched and assembled electrical boards for the signals, gate crossing, and occupancy detectors, programmed all the information in JMRI to run the railroad by computer. It's been difficult at times but I think I am ready to move on to building the Canadian Pacific Spiral Tunnels.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file