Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any collections unrelated to coin collecting?

mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 19, 2017 9:05PM in U.S. Coin Forum

In the interest of the "Do you pour?" thread, I've been collecting figurines for about a year now that I will eventually be casting into .999 silver.

So - I have another hobby that is PM-based... but also kinda NOT PM-based.

Anyone else have any interesting hobbies?

PS - meant to attach this image before posting oops...

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting final disposition of that collection!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are those figurines silver? I have some silver bullets.... No silver firearms though.. the metal is not suitable for that application. :D And yes, I do have an extensive firearm collection.... stored along with my coins - well, along with my more valuable coins.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited March 20, 2017 6:43AM

Hey there @ricko .... no, they are NOT silver .... yet! I'm saving them to use to create molds to pour identical figures in .999 when the budget allows.

• Options

Great.. they will be nice..... especially the horse... That is a Thoroughbred.... at least so it appears, I am partial to Arabians... I used to raise them.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect books, 90% are numismatic, but 10% aren't. That counts.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those figures are probably copyright protected artwork. If you "cast them into silver" and ever try to sell them you can probably expect a call/letter from an intellectual property attorney. Beware of using other people's artwork of any kind in your own projects.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Those figures are probably copyright protected artwork. If you "cast them into silver" and ever try to sell them you can probably expect a call/letter from an intellectual property attorney. Beware of using other people's artwork of any kind in your own projects.

Not to put a damper on a great idea, I was thinking the same thing. Keep it low key and as long as your foundry does not have an issue you should be.ok.

• Options

@291fifth and @JBK thank you I hadn't thought of that! I will have to think twice I guess before actually doing it :-(

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few antique railroad grade pocket watches as a side distractor from coins.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

Bill...your train layout is very impressive.
    Is it O or HO guage?
    Thanks for sharing!

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gramuli on the old, old boards collected belly button lint.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2017 9:16AM

well i do have a small collection of stuffed animals most of them are bears (my wife picked most out)

this is one bear i picked out and gave to my wife as a first month wedding gift in 1997 her name is corina

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mt_msla said:
    @291fifth and @JBK thank you I hadn't thought of that! I will have to think twice I guess before actually doing it :-(

You could always have them cast in China.....they'll copy anything there without a problem......

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know, what could a guy called SkyMan possibly collect other than coins? o:)

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2017 12:56PM

@mt_msla said:

this is an interesting idea, suggest starting with smaller and less detailed models, have you worked silver before?

Anyway, yes, have the collecting gene, none active at the moment on any of these, but have groups of minerals, fossils, shells, stamps, trading cards, books, maybe a few others... for a while it was edged weapons...

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2017 1:22PM

Ty beanie babies . I was selling them on fleabay when it was free and personal check&money order were the only payment methods. Oh , and Spawn action figures that still take up one entire room. lol

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mariner67 said:
    Bill...your train layout is very impressive.
    Is it O or HO guage?
    Thanks for sharing!

It is an HO gauge set. We don't have basements in Florida, so anything much bigger would be out of the question. I put out an O gauge Polar Express set during Christmas. Those bigger, heavier trains are in some ways more fun to wortk with, but if I had that in the HO train room I'd have one oval, and that would be it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some model trains. I don't have room for a set up, only a display case.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder why I'm only getting thumbnails?

DC 3.JPG 406.2K
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    TonerGuyTonerGuy Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@mt_msla said:

You could always have them cast in China.....they'll copy anything there without a problem......

Not true... I have a buddy that just took a billionaire to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals over this issue and won $450,000...

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/wakefield-746290-art-olenicoff.html

• Options

I won't be doing it now that ive had this input. And esp. after reading the directly above. But i appreciate the input. Like I'd said...intellectual rights hadn't occurred to me.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beer steins, some politicals and stuff that I like and sometimes Its hard to know what you like until you see it...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

30 or so. Different collections. B)

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options

I collect mechanical watches, video games, and pocket knives.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2017 9:10PM

Books (40% of them are numismatic)
    Unusual cacti
    Fossils
    Native American textiles (hand-made rugs) and pots
    Memories---more important than any other collections

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options

I search for these

• Options
    ShurkeShurke Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

For most of my life, my primary collecting focus has been on antique straight razors, specializing in pieces with base metal handles.

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like we've had a lot of ancient thread resurrections as of late. Not complaining, it can be fun. My other main collection nowadays...

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1089147/1958-inaugural-san-francisco-giants-set#latest

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1088160/my-1980s-raw-sf-giants-binders#latest

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2023 10:27PM

Undescribed insects.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2023 10:59PM

Things that go bang.
    Does a junk yard count?
    I've probably had one more Air-cooled VW than I needed at any given time.

• Options
    silviosisilviosi Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

Here a proud of mine. 1500 hundred silver, gold and stones : enjoy:

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

• Options
    silviosisilviosi Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

For the cars i have to phot the first, second and the third generation of the MK 150 Lotus?

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

• Options

I also have a small collection of old decks of cards (even back before they put numbers on them), marbles, firearms, knives. Some other things I just accumulate :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tramp said:
    Petroliana and my two muscle cars.

NICE MUSCLE !!!

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Off and on at one time or another coins, stamps, world globes, PEZ dispensers, California Raisins, McDonald's Happy Meal toys, mineral specimens, playing cards, shot glasses, beer cans, National Geographic magazines with Coca Cola ads on the back cover, Commemorative Coke bottles, post cards, POGs, milk caps and probably other thing that don't come to mind at the moment. I can't help myself.

At the moment it's banana stickers, hardly any competition...

Anyone out here that collects the tags from $1000 State Quarter bags?

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommy44 That's a great collection of stickers. There are a few others here that also collect stickers. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2023 10:15AM

@Tramp said:
    Petroliana and my two muscle cars.

Man I'm jealous, Love it! But where are your oil cans?
    My first hobby as an adult before getting the coin bug.

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

I pursue video games and sometimes glassware. I'm particularly fond of Morgantown with the golf ball stems. I also like collecting photographs of coins I shot with my camera and am trying to do a complete date and mint set of all U.S. coins.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file