Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone going to Central States?

DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 24, 2023 9:16AM in U.S. Coin Forum

This thread can serve 2 purposes

1. Id like to know who else here intends to go. As we get closer to the show, perhaps we can even arrange some type of PCGS boards meet up.

2. Im trying to plan out the logistics of my trip and figure out which days I want to attend. I see that they sell early bird passes for $125, and that allows access on Wednesday at 3:30pm, and 9am access on Thursday, as opposed to 10:30 for the public. My question is, do collectors gain a significant advantage by going on Wednesday afternoon? Will dealers even have material out, and be willing to do business with a non-dealer? The cost of the early bird pass be a trivial factor if It were to lead to me purchasing even 1 coin that I might not have had a shot at, had I waited until Thursday. (solved)

Comments

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

There were very few dealers set up on Wednesday last year. I will not go on Wednesday again.

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still thinking about going but have not purchased airline tickets yet. Just not sure.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not going to be able to go to this show unfortunately. If I were I'd try to do the Wednesday thing for sure. The chances of it paying off with 1 good purchase are worth it. The downside is small as even if there was nothing to buy you could go hang out with dealers from the forum that are setting up at the show. If that were to also fail at least you get a good idea of the layout and can get a great game plan for Thursday.

• DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keyman64 said:
    I'm still thinking about going but have not purchased airline tickets yet. Just not sure.

I "liked" your comment at first, but then I decided to take it back. When you leave another comment saying that you have indeed purchased airline tickets, I will "like" that one. :D

• zer0manzer0man Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

Count me in for a Friday visit.

DOG acolyte

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread can serve 2 purposes

1. Id like to know who else here intends to go. As we get closer to the show, perhaps we can even arrange some type of PCGS boards meet up.

CSNS is my only show of the year for the last several years.
    I always go on Thursday and pay the $5 (use to be free), seems a lot of the dealers bale out after that (I did go on a Friday one year and the bourse was rather empty).
    There is a Dennys on Higgins not far from the convention center so.....?

• ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll be there. I’ve bought the early bird In the past. I didn’t find it that productive outside of helping you beat the grading lines at PCGS.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2023 7:52PM

In the past "early bird" admission was free on PNG Day for anyone who had an invitation from their PNG member-dealer or registered in advance at the PNG Events website. I did that for several years and enjoyed just looking at the coins on display.

I think you would be better served by researching the inventories of dealers you know and if you are not shy, asking them to hold any coins you are especially interested in seeing. It is a good show; definitely be there on Thursday.

• jkrkjkrk Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2023 9:59PM

Living in NYC, I believe the convention is located in flyover country? If so, I'm not sure if the airlines still stop there?

I remember, fondly, when NYC had coin shows for domestic coins. I never attended those either as I never had any money.

Now that I'm on SS, I have a few extra bits which I spend at the new, improved, and more expensive supermarkets in lieu of a vacation.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2023 10:27PM

I'll be there!
    Can't wait.
    ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

I checked my work schedule and looks like Thursday at 10:30am makes the most sense for me. I will spend the day there Thursday. We can message if that works for you. It is interesting to hear that by Friday the place has already cleared out. I guess most dealers get there on Tuesday and get all their work done prior to Wednesday's Early bird opening.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of members going evidently... Show reports please. Cheers, RickO

• fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoping to be there thursday

• johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just finished the Baltimore show and wish I had paid the $75…. Not because I felt I would find better deals but because I was unable to finish the entire show in a day by showing up at 12.

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

600 tables this year. I’ve never done this show, but I have a table this year. I’ll set up Wednesday, likely get cleaned out Wednesday as well. At least I can hope so! :)

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SurfinxHI said:
    600 tables this year. I’ve never done this show, but I have a table this year. I’ll set up Wednesday, likely get cleaned out Wednesday as well. At least I can hope so! :)

Table #?

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@No Headlights said:

@SurfinxHI said:

Table #?

They haven't told me yet. I guess I should reach out and find out. Ugh.

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be there Thursday through Saturday. It'll be interesting to see how the new multiple bourse arrangement works out.

Ok, I booked my stay. I'm flying in Wednesday in time for set up day, and ill be using the early bird pass. I'm taking @Cladiator 's advice and if I don't find a coin I like, ill just hang out and meet some people, chat with some of my favorite dealers. Ill be there all day Thursday and my flight home is Friday in the evening, so ill have plenty of time to do whatever it is I need to do.

• lermishlermish Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nic said:
    Good for you Dan. If you have down time, Uber to the Art Institute of Chicago if you have not been before. Viewing their impressionist collection might start you on the path to toned silver. :)

Agreed except that the Art Institute is a multi day visit just by itself. That is a really fantastic museum - I've been to a fair amount all over the world and it's my favorite.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

This, like FUN, is on bucket list...not this year, too close to my May cruise.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not on my plate for this year, but hoping it's justifiable next year.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

edited March 22, 2023 6:23AM

All you, "Out-of-towners" must come visit my Beautiful Hometown! Despite, what's been said about, Chicago.
    Like Frank would say,
    "It's my Kind of Town"!
    Really, come visit guys. Especially, downtown and especially, In the summer!

☀️
    <3

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brad Karoleff, Coins Plus Cincinnati OH.

I will have a table. Please stop by and say hello!

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

I might attend it is only 30 min from my house.

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anything take an Uber to the Rosemont "L" station and take the train downtown, then back. Parking downtown alone makes this the deal of the week.
    I live 3 miles away so I guess I'll break down and go a couple of the days their running, as I always do.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll probably fly in if the show is a good one. Hopefully it’s much busier (for the dealers) than the Whitman Expo that Baltimore just hosted. A lot of dealers but not many customers at that one (compared to the Houston money show in January where people were practically stepping on one another).

• burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trying to rearrange my schedule to attend- hopefully can make it. I went last year on invitation B) ...

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2023 6:29PM

@jkrk said:
    Living in NYC, I believe the convention is located in flyover country? If so, I'm not sure if the airlines still stop there?

JK is correct. Airline service to Chicago stopped during the pandemic and has not resumed.

• renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, and the airline service isn't great. Flying Spirit out and Delta back with layover each way. Sheesh. But yes, I'll be there all day Thursday and Friday.

And from what I'm hearing, this will be a BIG show. Over 700 tables? That can't be right.

• willywilly Posts: 278 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be there Wednesday through Friday. Looking for early type PCGS CAC gold.

@renomedphys said:
    Yes, and the airline service isn't great. Flying Spirit out and Delta back with layover each way. Sheesh. But yes, I'll be there all day Thursday and Friday.

And from what I'm hearing, this will be a BIG show. Over 700 tables? That can't be right.

I was considering booking through spirit, as they had a $130 round trip ticket, but both were layover flights that would have severely increased my total travel time. There were very few direct flights, but I ended up finding direct flights through United there, and American back. Cost quite a bit more than $130 but at least the carry-ons are included, where spirit makes you pay $70 for now, lol. I tried to book a room at the hotel connected to the convention center, but somehow they had no more rooms left for the CSNS reservation (the website said the hotel rooms had been blocked specifically for CSNS). The woman on the phone said I could still book a room with the normal rate, $299 a night :s. I ended up booking at a cheaper hotel nearby, through Expedia, 2 night stay AND a rental car for $350 total.

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would love to attend since it's basically in my neighborhood but unfortunately, I'm at college 3 hours away and won't be able to make there this year.

Hope it's a good show for those that are attending.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• LuxorLuxor Posts: 404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Entrance Fees:

Daily - $15 (Public Hours Only)
    - Online Preorder rate: $10
    4 Day pass - $30 (Public Hours Only)
    - Online Preorder rate: $25
    Early Bird Badge - $150
    - Online Preorder rate: $125
    CSNS Members - Free

:#

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• waisaacswaisaacs Posts: 88 ✭✭

Anyone have any information on whether the Harry Bass Jr collection coins will be on display at CSNS? I started a thread https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1089461/harry-bass-jr-collection-heritage-auction-part-3 and would like to get more details.

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Luxor said:
    Entrance Fees:

Early Bird Badge - $150
    CSNS Members - Free

:#

Thanks for the heads up Luxor, just ordered my pass online (was $5 last year)

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

“All PCGS Set Registry and Collectors Club members get complimentary entry to the show”

(this was in the email pcgs sent out on 3/22/23)

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

@renomedphys said:

I was considering booking through spirit, as they had a $130 round trip ticket, but both were layover flights that would have severely increased my total travel time. There were very few direct flights, but I ended up finding direct flights through United there, and American back. Cost quite a bit more than $130 but at least the carry-ons are included, where spirit makes you pay $70 for now, lol. I tried to book a room at the hotel connected to the convention center, but somehow they had no more rooms left for the CSNS reservation (the website said the hotel rooms had been blocked specifically for CSNS). The woman on the phone said I could still book a room with the normal rate, $299 a night :s. I ended up booking at a cheaper hotel nearby, through Expedia, 2 night stay AND a rental car for $350 total.

Don’t you live in Florida? Am I confused or wouldn’t you fly out of Orlando to O’hare? Fly up the 27th back the 28th (both direct) for $53 each way on spirit.

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Legend Auctions Early April Market Report Posted On April 7, 2023

No slowing down. Typically, this time of year is slower; Tax Day is in a couple of weeks. Between tax bills coming due and collectors digesting purchases from the first quarter, early April is usually a quiet time. NOT in 2023. This market is defying historic trends. Buoyed by strong gold prices (gold crossed and held over $2,000 most of the week), demand for bullion and generic gold is very strong. It is all a matter of time before these gold bugs and silver stackers make the cross over to numismatics and rare coins. We have seen this trend many, many times over the years. The supply of great coins is already very low. Collectors are holding their coins longer, even when there is profit to be taken, many collectors do not see the need to sell, and thus continue to hold coins (even if they are done building sets). If you get a few new buyers coming into this already tight supply, prices will have no where to go but up.

This is making us even more excited about our upcoming Central States Regency Auction. The team running the CSNS show is working tirelessly to remake the show into again being one of the major bellwether shows of the year, joining the FUN and ANA shows as the cannot miss events of the year. Taking in its totality the current market conditions and the efforts of Larry Shepherd and his team for the show, we know turnout is going to be huge at the show.

• foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭

It is mentioned in thread(s) above that the show room block for the Renaissance hotel is sold out.

Here is additional hotel information from the CSNS website (https://www.csns.org/convention) on additional hotel options≥ Note the deadline for these options is today.

OVERFLOW HOTEL ROOMS:
    Due to increased demand, our Renaissance Hotel room block is completely sold out. We have arranged room blocks at other nearby hotels only minutes away from the Renaissance Convention Center.

Courtyard Chicago Schaumburg/Woodfield Mall
    1311 American Lane
    Schaumburg, IL 60173
    Rate - $149 (USD) per night; effective 4/26/23 - 4/28/23. 
    Last Day to Book: Friday, April 7, 2023
    Online Reservation Link: https://www.marriott.com/events/start.mi?id=1678920861566&key=GRP (https://www.marriott.com/events/start.mi?id=1678920861566&key=GRP) 

Residence Inn Chicago Schaumburg/Woodfield Mall
    1610 McConnor Parkway
    Schaumburg, IL 60173
    Rate - $169 (USD) per night; effective 4/25/23 - 4/30/23.
    Last Day to Book: Friday, April 7, 2023
    Online Reservation Link: 
    https://www.marriott.com/events/start.mi?id=1678919719705&key=GRP (https://www.marriott.com/events/start.mi?id=1678919719705&key=GRP)

Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • jkrkjkrk Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:
    Legend Auctions Early April Market Report Posted On April 7, 2023

No slowing down. Typically, this time of year is slower; Tax Day is in a couple of weeks. Between tax bills coming due and collectors digesting purchases from the first quarter, early April is usually a quiet time. NOT in 2023. This market is defying historic trends. Buoyed by strong gold prices (gold crossed and held over $2,000 most of the week), demand for bullion and generic gold is very strong. It is all a matter of time before these gold bugs and silver stackers make the cross over to numismatics and rare coins. We have seen this trend many, many times over the years. The supply of great coins is already very low. Collectors are holding their coins longer, even when there is profit to be taken, many collectors do not see the need to sell, and thus continue to hold coins (even if they are done building sets). If you get a few new buyers coming into this already tight supply, prices will have no where to go but up.

This is making us even more excited about our upcoming Central States Regency Auction. The team running the CSNS show is working tirelessly to remake the show into again being one of the major bellwether shows of the year, joining the FUN and ANA shows as the cannot miss events of the year. Taking in its totality the current market conditions and the efforts of Larry Shepherd and his team for the show, we know turnout is going to be huge at the show.

Everything is relative.... Reading the Legend reports, and the rare, rare expensive coins they mention (A world I can only dream about) I had an image of myself
    standing in front of their booth asking.....

" coins for the poor"?

• tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@Nic said:
    Good for you Dan. If you have down time, Uber to the Art Institute of Chicago if you have not been before. Viewing their impressionist collection might start you on the path to toned silver. :)

Word of warning about that. From tonight until late 2025, there will be two lanes on I-90/94 closed. This year, it's two inbound lanes. The shot of the nasty traffic here is at 10:00 at night and the construction is from where 90 and 94 merge all the way into downtown. METRA commuter trains are being added to attempt to alleviate what is going to be horrible traffic on this stretch for the next 3 years. You can also take I-290 to the Art Institute, but it will also be a slow and expensive Uber ride. Traffic between CSNS and O'Hare will be unaffected. My recommendation for going into downtown is to use either METRA from Arlington Park into downtown or take the Blue Line from the Cumberland station close to O'Hare.

Excellent Advice, I forgot about the construction and went downtown on Tuesday and got stuck in the traffic, I'm going to do everything I can to avoid this route for the next few years. If your going downtown either the Blue Line or Metra is the way to go.

@1madman said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@renomedphys said:

Don’t you live in Florida? Am I confused or wouldn’t you fly out of Orlando to O’hare? Fly up the 27th back the 28th (both direct) for $53 each way on spirit.

The drive to Orlando is a killer for me, close to 3 hours. PBI is about 20 minutes from my house.

edited April 7, 2023 1:59PM

Do ANA members get in free?
    :*
    If so, how?
    I'm a new member.
    Thanks
    ;)

• foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Do ANA members get in free?
    :*
    If so, how?
    I'm a new member.
    Thanks
    ;)

No, ANA and CSNS are two separate, unrelated organizations.

Per the CSNS website (https://www.csns.org/convention):
    Entrance Fees:
    Early Bird Badge - $150
    CSNS Members - Free
    Youth 17 and Under - Free

Also, PCGS Set Registry and Collectors Club members get complimentary entry to the show.

Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Confirmed I am going- hope to meet you @DeplorableDan !

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file