Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you believe mega-ultra rarities are still out there, and entirely unknown?

2»

Comments

• Options
    JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WinLoseWin said:

@JesseKraft said:
    Don't forget the unique 1873-CC No Arrows dime, found in a dealer's junk box in 1978.

Looks like a mixup with the story on the unique 1870-S Half Dime which I'm sure you already know about. It can be easy get mixed up with those two little similar sized unique coins. I did not catch it either at first glance.

Eliasberg acquired the unique 1873-CC No Arrows dime as the last coin he needed at the time in 1950.

Unless I'm forgetting some other discovery, the 1870-S Half Dime was the only date and mint combination now known to exist (not including varieties) that Eliasberg never owned as it was not discovered until after his death.

There is some good history and stories about the 1870-S and the 1873-CC No Arrows dime near the bottom of each page on PCGS CoinFacts here:
    https://pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1870-s-h10c/4397

https://pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1873-cc-10c-no-arrows/4661

Yep! That's what I meant. :)

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    HA's upcoming Donald G. Patrick auction features "the finest-known Brasher Doubloons"

I appreciate the auctioneers covering their bases like that. But really? "Finest known"?

What are the chances that not only is there are entirely unknown mega rarity like a Brasher Doubloon somewhere out there--one that nobody has ever seen or recorded--but that this unicorn of unicorns would grade higher than MS65*?

Is that just hype-man speak?

There are other SS Central Americas and Saddle Ridges out there. There have to be. And they will come to the market eventually. And there will be some rare material in them.

But are there true earth-shattering mega ultra rarities still out there, entirely unknown?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe overseas

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was wondering if there might be more rarities waiting to be discovered in some museum collections around the world when I ran across this comment in a Heritage auction lot.

It is from a roster of known examples of the rare 1856-O Double Eagle listed when they sold one last year.

"8. AU53, per Garrett and Guth. National Numismatic Collection, Smithsonian Institution. This coin was discovered in the NNC in 1984 with no record of its provenance. It was not listed in the inventory Comparette compiled in the 1912-1914 era, but it may have been in the collection for some time.

That coin would currently be worth in the $300,000 to $500,000 range.
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/liberty-double-eagles/double-eagles/1856-o-20-au50-ngc-variety-1-pcgs-8918-/a/1298-3925.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515
    @JesseKraft, you got any unsearched goodies at the American Numismatic Society yet. I would think the coins have all been gone through thoroughly by now.

But I'm guessing there are some rare US coins that could still be lost in museums in other countries if not also in the United States.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very few have seen the finest 1885 trade dollar in the past 30 years

• Options
    JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WinLoseWin said:
    Was wondering if there might be more rarities waiting to be discovered in some museum collections around the world when I ran across this comment in a Heritage auction lot.

It is from a roster of known examples of the rare 1856-O Double Eagle listed when they sold one last year.

"8. AU53, per Garrett and Guth. National Numismatic Collection, Smithsonian Institution. This coin was discovered in the NNC in 1984 with no record of its provenance. It was not listed in the inventory Comparette compiled in the 1912-1914 era, but it may have been in the collection for some time.

That coin would currently be worth in the $300,000 to $500,000 range.
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/liberty-double-eagles/double-eagles/1856-o-20-au50-ngc-variety-1-pcgs-8918-/a/1298-3925.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515
    @JesseKraft, you got any unsearched goodies at the American Numismatic Society yet. I would think the coins have all been gone through thoroughly by now.

But I'm guessing there are some rare US coins that could still be lost in museums in other countries if not also in the United States.

All the big ones are known in US department of the ANS collection, especially in the "red book" series, but there are A LOT of weird things that are yet to be published. Most of them are unique, but I wouldn't call them "mega-ultra rarities." Also, our US medals collection is probably 10x the size of the US coins, so who knows what's in there?!

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2020 11:14AM
  • Options
    HarlequinHarlequin Posts: 110 ✭✭✭

Good question! My answer is yes there are more out there to discover ...... Stay tuned folks ;)

🇺🇸 Harlequin Numismatic
    harlequinnumismatic@gmail.com

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭✭

Depends on the coin type and how long ago it was struck. I'm thinking it's more likely we could get lucky and see a 1921 Saint in Gem Mint condition from a lucky find somewhere rather than a bunch being found in a bank vault. OTOH, we'll continue to see more of the commons and semi-rares for many gold coins as the 1st generation of kids (for many of us, our parents or grandparents) who were given the coin, purchased them or inherited them.....pass on and those coins go to our generation.

Tens of trillions in financial assets changes hands in the next 20-30 years. I believe you will also see tens of billions in valuable coins and bullion alongside that transfer, some coins known, some coins new to the population census.

We continue to see steady trickles lasting years -- not torrents of new coins, but consistent amounts monthly -- from overseas banks and/or domestic SDBs. In fact, SDBs are disappearing in this country, a relic from a century ago when people (especially in urban areas or isolated rural ones) feared being surrounded by crooks (urban) or being too isolated from police (rural).

JP Morgan Chase is phasing out SDBs and more banks are going to be winding theirs down in coming years, too. As they are closed, folks will find out they or their parents had some coins and we'll see some rarities -- but probably just an increase on more common coins, even if common or semi-rare at best.

• Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are very important old wealth collections, especially in Europe, that span generations. Things that haven’t seen the light of day in hundreds of years. If some of those were to hit an auction, some ultra rarities would come to light.

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2023 7:37AM

@Weiss said:
    But are there true earth-shattering mega ultra rarities still out there, entirely unknown?

I can think of the following:

• Original 2 gold Libertas Americana medals
    • 1964 Peace dollars
  • Options

@SimonW said:
    There are very important old wealth collections, especially in Europe, that span generations. Things that haven’t seen the light of day in hundreds of years. If some of those were to hit an auction, some ultra rarities would come to light.

Imagine if their ancestors visited our Founding Fathers like William Strickland?

• Options
    CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, I believe there probably are ultra-rarities still out there hidden away in places. That being said, the description of "finest known" is acceptable given that the ones hidden away are "unknown". Nothing wrong with the description. If it said "finest ever" or "finest of all", that might be more questionable.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter said:
    I’m sure there are coins yet to resurface- I bought some early $5s and $10s that were part of a huge old gold collection from the 70s- put away by a wealthy anonymous collector in flips several decades prior to the TPGs. Recently brought to market, not sure if it was the result of a death in the family or they just decided it was time to sell, but many of these became new finest knowns or at least tied for finest knowns, and most received CAC approval. This collection has now been dispersed but was full of consistently original, bright, beautiful coins.

People say they like old and crusty gold, but I'd want it to look like this.

All said and done, Florida raises a good point. There are likely some really nice coins that are in collections but otherwise unknown. Think of the Millholland Collection - some of the finest Seated dollar proofs out there and they just surfaced.

I'd expect several such collections exist.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was looking for houses in Baltimore I had fantasies about coming across a bag full of 1822 $5 gold since some of the homes I was looking at dated back almost that far... a boy can dream... :)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2023 8:01AM

I'd sure like to come across a bag of business-strike 1895-P Morgan's. Heck, why be greedy, just two coins will do; one to keep and the other to auction off.

Curious as to why PCGS' Coinfacts app doesn't even list the 1895-P Morgan. The history, facts and mystery surrounding the "King of Morgan's", is very interesting.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    psuman08psuman08 Posts: 242 ✭✭✭

I have no doubt they are out there.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

To assume that everything is discovered, or known, in this or any field, is ludicrous as well as narrow-minded. As for Oak Island, I am pretty sure water and rock are under there.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. I want a 1974 p FB dime.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    psuman08psuman08 Posts: 242 ✭✭✭

@erscolo said:
    To assume that everything is discovered, or known, in this or any field, is ludicrous as well as narrow-minded. As for Oak Island, I am pretty sure water and rock are under there.

Don't forget old iron spikes and wood.

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@psuman08 said:

@erscolo said:

Don't forget old iron spikes and wood.

Haha yes- you can be pretty sure if they went to all that trouble to build a stone dock, a stone road, a well, closed in a lagoon to hide a ship, and dug a treasure tunnel that someone remembered to come back and get the treasure!

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

About 15 yrs ago I was visiting a friend in the Midwest. Had no idea they owned nice old gold bought by their parents and grandparents circa 1900-1950.

Out of the safe and onto the kitchen table comes a group of coins that made my jaw drop.

$5,000 to $500,000 coins. Several of the rare 20's would probably be condition census.

Yes, there are collections out there that will probably never see the light of day unless the heirs don't get along.

I was fortunate enough to be gifted with many items from my late father's safe that were unknown to myself and my sister because they were stored from 1945 to a couple of years ago in my dad's safe. He never told us.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2023 2:12PM

@Tramp said:
    I'd sure like to come across a bag of business-strike 1895-P Morgan's. Heck, why be greedy, just two coins will do; one to keep and the other to auction off.

Curious as to why PCGS' Coinfacts app doesn't even list the 1895-P Morgan. The history, facts and mystery surrounding the "King of Morgan's", is very interesting.

Perhaps because the 1895-P Morgan were only minted as Proofs. It's listed in Coin Facts on the "Proof" page.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zoins. . . . . . . quite astute.

But neither of the survivors are going to be revealed for a mere $10k PCGS 'Finder's Fee'. Both coins are enhanced by their 'legendary' status.

Drunner

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:

Perhaps because the 1895-P Morgan were only minted as Proofs. It's listed in Coin Facts on the "Proof" page.

Yep, knew all that. Just had to go to the right tab in the app.

To the point, it would be great if those 12,000 were discovered in some corner covered up all these years after being written off.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm positive they're out there.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    edited March 22, 2023 1:56AM

@Floridafacelifter said:
    I’m sure there are coins yet to resurface- I bought some early $5s and $10s that were part of a huge old gold collection from the 70s- put away by a wealthy anonymous collector in flips several decades prior to the TPGs. Recently brought to market, not sure if it was the result of a death in the family or they just decided it was time to sell, but many of these became new finest knowns or at least tied for finest knowns, and most received CAC approval. This collection has now been dispersed but was full of consistently original, bright, beautiful coins.

This amazing proof die fragment and half dollar mated pair has a similar history, just surfacing and being slabbed from an old time collection:

• Options

@WinLoseWin said:

@JesseKraft said:
    Don't forget the unique 1873-CC No Arrows dime, found in a dealer's junk box in 1978.

Looks like a mixup with the story on the unique 1870-S Half Dime which I'm sure you already know about. It can be easy get mixed up with those two little similar sized unique coins. I did not catch it either at first glance.

Eliasberg acquired the unique 1873-CC No Arrows dime as the last coin he needed at the time in 1950.

Unless I'm forgetting some other discovery, the 1870-S Half Dime was the only date and mint combination now known to exist (not including varieties) that Eliasberg never owned as it was not discovered until after his death.

There is some good history and stories about the 1870-S and the 1873-CC No Arrows dime near the bottom of each page on PCGS CoinFacts here:
    https://pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1870-s-h10c/4397

https://pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1873-cc-10c-no-arrows/4661

Great examples!

Here are the TrueViews:

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2023 10:13AM

Don't forget about "dirt coins" and metal detectorists. They may not find a 1933 Saint or 1804 $1, but Colonial and post-Colonial rarities are on the table (uh, I mean in the ground). Since the year 2000, I have seen a 1792 half disme, 1795, 1801, and 1803 half dimes, a Chain cent, more than one New England (pine/oak) silver pieces, an 1870-CC quarter, an 1870-CC half, and many early coppers dug by various people. If detectorists can find those items, why not an 1802 half dime or a 1793 Strawberry Leaf cent? How about a heretofore unknown variety of New Jersey or Connecticut copper?

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

YES

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

I walked in to my LCS yesterday and the owner called me over- someone had just walked in with a beautiful 78-CC Trade Dollar in a Capital Plastics holder and was negotiating a sale- my guess was MS-62/63- nice original with plenty of luster and nice golden rim toning. Next time I’ll find out the rest of the story- I didn’t want to interfere with the business of the shop so I just admired it before I left, but it was definitely a coin I would buy.

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, in the ground, bottom of the ocean or in some cornerstone or wall. When I built my house I put coins in the walls before the sheetrock went up.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file