Home U.S. Coin Forum

US Mint to introduce “Virtual Waiting Room” for popular products

zomrhinozomrhino Posts: 29 ✭✭
edited February 25, 2023 8:20AM in U.S. Coin Forum

The Waitroom will premiere on March 2nd with the release of the 2023 American Eagle One Ounce Silver Proof Coin (W) and the 2023 Congratulations Set.

1. These products will release at 12:00 PM ET.

2. Just before the release, all customers on the site will be moved into the Waitroom and assigned a random position in line. Each visitor on the site at that time will have an equal chance of being either first or last in line.

3. At 12:00 PM ET, the Waitroom will begin letting site visitors onto the catalog website as quickly as possible while simultaneously ensuring the site’s traffic does not exceed capacity.

4. Customers who arrive on the site after the 12:00 PM ET release time will be added to the end of the line in the order in which they arrived.

5. The Waitroom will remain active until site traffic returns to normal levels.

Tagged:

Comments

• coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

Here we go again
    Waiting room version 2.0

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Royal Mint already has a version of this.

Many happy BST transactions
  • ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally I welcome something like this. Hopefully the coding etc. of the wait room will be robust enough not to cause problems! I was getting tired of trying to get items only to get shut out 'cause I was trying to order at 12.01!

K

ANA LM
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@zomrhino .... I just posted this.... did not see your post here already. Cheers, RickO

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2023 9:06AM

@ElKevvo said:
    Personally I welcome something like this. Hopefully the coding etc. of the wait room will be robust enough not to cause problems! I was getting tired of trying to get items only to get shut out 'cause I was trying to order at 12.01!

K

Except you could be assigned the end of the line and have zero chance from the opening gun.

Or if your computer glitches and you get logged off at 12:01, you will lose your position and thrown to the end of the line.

• TrampTramp Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm! If waiting at the post office or DMV isn't bad enough. Lol

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

What happens when the wait room crashes?

• djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another failed idea from the past. It just reinforces the idea buy already graded from the big dealers, less hassle and only a few dollars more.

• smuglrsmuglr Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭

I understand this is just my opinion - but the Congratulations ASE is in fact a W mint ASE in alternate packaging and these (the regular packaging) ASEs have been available to enroll for years (with occaisionl exception). If you want one that bad why not enroll for it? No virtual waiting room, no missed or dropped log in or online traffic to deal with, free shipping.

• RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

So then...I'm assuming that the biggest in demand items for 2023, namely the proof Morgan and Peace dollars, will continue to be subscription items and we won't have to deal with this waiting room nonsense?

Do I have that right?

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    So then...I'm assuming that the biggest in demand items for 2023, namely the proof Morgan and Peace dollars, will continue to be subscription items and we won't have to deal with this waiting room nonsense?

Do I have that right?

I believe you are correct. However, you still have to pay $80.00 for this, "regurgitated design," pricey 0.859 troy oz. silver bullion NCLT Coin.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the test of this waiting room crap will be a more limited issue like the 2019 S ERCP Eagle (or what ever that acronym was).

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are they gonna stream elevator music to help the time go by?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smuglr said:
    I understand this is just my opinion - but the Congratulations ASE is in fact a W mint ASE in alternate packaging and these (the regular packaging) ASEs have been available to enroll for years (with occaisionl exception). If you want one that bad why not enroll for it? No virtual waiting room, no missed or dropped log in or online traffic to deal with, free shipping.

Unless you want the congratulations set, then you’ll wait in the “room” and like it, see! Zero enrollment available 🤢

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

So then...any predictions on which items this will impact most...assuming everyone has a subscription whenever possible and this isn't an issue?

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

The claim to randomly let people out of the waiting room to buy would be great for ticket master. When they let their preferred ticket agencies and resellers get served first they would have an excuse as to why the tens of thousands of people in line could not get in. They were randomly put at the end of the line. :o:#>:)

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let’s get to the heart of it: Which of these has good flipping potential?

@cameonut2011 said:
    Let’s get to the heart of it: Which of these has good flipping potential?

None 🙀

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations ASE... 40,000 minted...40,001 in the waiting room. Somebody is going to miss out.

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    Congratulations ASE... 40,000 minted...40,001 in the waiting room. Somebody is going to miss out.

The Mint email states that not everyone in the waiting room is guaranteed to get a coin.

"4. Product availability is not guaranteed to customers who enter the waiting room."

Many happy BST transactions
  • smuglrsmuglr Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

With a hhl of 3 potential for 26,000 plus of those 40,001 to miss out.

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

One more idea by the mint to make me less likely to buy.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think popular products are a thing of the past

• NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it works the way it is supposed to, it will only help. It won't help anyone get anything that sells out to people who entered the site before they did, but it will block people from slamming the part of the site that processes transactions.

If it works as intended, the site won't crash, and once you get to the checkout screen you'll actually be able to complete check out without being kicked off the site. It is also very easy to make sure people queue in the order they enter, so jumping the line just isn't a thing.

Getting kicked out if your internet is spotty is a "you" problem that exists no matter what technology they use, and will always be an issue in chasing hard to get items on release, from anywhere. This is not a bad thing, and, even if it fails, won't be any worse than what we have been dealing with up to this point.

Forget 40,001, for hot releases there have been 5 to 10x the number of people playing as coins available. You could have 90% of the people in the waiting room unknowingly blocked from the beginning.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: they should just hold an auction. Then everyone who wants one badly enough can get one and the Mint reaps the rewards of a hot issue rather than someone on the secondary market.

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    I look forward to all the people who have zero chance at 12:01 patiently waiting around until 12:20 just to find out that they never had a chance in the first place. I'm sure they will have very nice things to say about the orderliness of the system.

Most will blame eBay. :)

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    I look forward to all the people who have zero chance at 12:01 patiently waiting around until 12:20 just to find out that they never had a chance in the first place. I'm sure they will have very nice things to say about the orderliness of the system.

Most will blame eBay. :)

Nah... they hate the Mint at least as much.

I’ve canceled my regular proof W and really don’t care anymore if I get a Congratulations Set. I was going to start collecting them beginning with last year’s type 2, first issue of the new design. Nothing to lose if I don’t get one I’ll just forget trying to start a date run. Forget it. Focus on something else. $87w/ shipping. I can by 5 oz bars for $125 or less.
    I hold the mint and their need to squeeze and abuse their customers, responsible for my change in attitude. I just don’t care that much. 😞🙀

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file