Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

North/South/Central American Coins Thursday, let's see them!

Comments

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Arrived today

That's a really nice one for a countermarked type.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WCC said:

@Boosibri said:
    Arrived today

That's a really nice one for a countermarked type.

Only MS piece on record for the type

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

For those that don't know, it is a Mexican State Copper 1/4 Real (cuartilla) struck in silver.

Amazing. Where was this pattern struck?

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas never disappoints.
    That has to be a Zacatecas one @TwoKopeiki

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    No one seems to care about the "Thursday" part anymore, so I will post this one that just popped at PCGS.

Despite a few hairlines, it has abundant luster and happily straight graded at PCGS. It is a beauty in-hand.

For those that don't know, it is a Mexican State Copper 1/4 Real (cuartilla) struck in silver.

Amazing!
    I'd be thrilled to have a decent regular copper one. Congratulations!
    Is this a coin you already owned or is it something you recently acquired?
    If you recently purchased it is there a story on where you found it?

• Options

But it’s only Tuesday…

• Options

@pruebas said:
    @JohnnyCache I was approached in Sep 2021 while I was at the Clyde Hubbard auction in Mexico City by a long-time collector friend from SLP. He is a real connoisseur of coins and owns many of "the best" coins that remain in Mexico......

I can add it to the 1832 Zacatecas cuartilla I purchased out of the Morton & Eden (unnamed) sale of the Clyde Hubbard Collection:

And the 1832 Zacatecas octavo I purchased from Dave O'Harrow:

I think I have to get a Wow out first, WOW! That1832 Zacatecas cuartilla is breathtaking.
    Why do I never see these coins in anything other than almost slick?

Thanks for sharing the story. It's nice to have friends in numismatics.
    You have amazing coins. I think all of us would agree on that.

So when someone like yourself says that your friend has many of "The Best" that remain in Mexico, it really gets the imagination going. With a son in the coin business though, hence an interest in numismatics, those coins are likely to remain exactly where they are for at least another generation.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2023 7:54PM

And for what it’s worth, I don’t own a decent copper or brass one either. The silver strikes were special and preserved as such. These coppers were “used and abused” by the people. That’s what makes them so fun to collect.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2023 8:01PM

Thanks for the clarification. I know it says Zacatecas, but the die work seems to be very well executed, which made me think these were done in Europe.

• Options
    edited February 7, 2023 9:08PM

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Thanks for the clarification. I know it says Zacatecas, but the die work seems to be very well executed, which made me think these were done in Europe.

I don’t think they were minted in Europe nor the dies cut in Europe. These are the same dies as the circulation strikes. They are noticeably crude in hand.

However, the Zacatecas mint was leased by a European firm (Maning & Marshall IIRC). Could be they sent (silver) samples back to Europe?

• Options

Recent purchase at spot. 1920 Colombia Cinco Pesos with "A" mint mark.

• Options
    Que_sai_jeQue_sai_je Posts: 101 ✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2023 4:04PM

Looking for help on this one, please, specifically if you know of any auction appearances at any time in bronze. Mexican market being what it is, would like to know just how rare this is.
    1789 Mexico AE proc by G Gil, Bust Carlos IV/denominated reverse ("8R"), Grove c-6a.
    Seems as if extremely few were issued in any metal because with bust obv. & 8R rev, it might be used for currency. All I can find are two in silver: 1)Grove C-6 Ponterio 04/98 #2595 called "only example seen" and 2)another (?same as 1?) sold Aureo "4 known" 2020 for 12K euro hammer. Thanks in advance.

• Options
    edited February 8, 2023 6:08PM

@Que_sai_je said:
    Looking for help on this one, please, specifically if you know of any auction appearances at any time in bronze. Mexican market being what it is, would like to know just how rare this is.
    1789 Mexico AE proc by G Gil, Bust Carlos IV/denominated reverse ("8R"), Grove c-6a.
    Seems as if extremely few were issued in any metal because with bust obv. & 8R rev, it might be used for currency. All I can find are two in silver: 1)Grove C-6 Ponterio 04/98 #2595 called "only example seen" and 2)another (?same as 1?) sold Aureo "4 known" 2020 for 12K euro hammer. Thanks in advance.

This is a Father Fisher restrike from the 1860s. Those dies were not meant to go together, so it's also a mule. I bet there isn't a proper edge.

There was a Hidalgo auction that had a bunch of Fisher pieces. Let me see if I can locate the sale and maybe this one was there.

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    @Abuelo , that set is stunning!

Congrats on the high end and pop top collections of these pieces, guys.

The problem with being a box of 20 collector is that I can only rationalize buying these pieces as "bullion" :(

But they can be awfully pretty bullion.

This one was toward the higher end of the pops when I got it several years back. Almost cameo black & white. But so many have been made in the last 8 or 10 years and I suspect there are several more uncirculated rolls out there. ;)

@Weiss said:
    @Abuelo , that set is stunning!

Congrats on the high end and pop top collections of these pieces, guys.

The problem with being a box of 20 collector is that I can only rationalize buying these pieces as "bullion" :(

But they can be awfully pretty bullion.

This one was toward the higher end of the pops when I got it several years back. Almost cameo black & white. But so many have been made in the last 8 or 10 years and I suspect there are several more uncirculated rolls out there. ;)

mijo, que did you do with my peso?

• Options
    edited February 8, 2023 5:11PM

@pruebas said:

@Que_sai_je said:

This is a Father Fisher strike from the 1860s. Those dies were not meant to go together, so it's also a mule. I bet there isn't a proper edge.

There was a Hidalgo auction that had a bunch of Fisher pieces. Let me see if I can locate the sale and maybe this one was there.

The Alberto Hidalgo auction of October 2014 has 124 procs, including many Fisher restrikes and some mules. This one does not appear to be in that sale.

There is an interesting article in the December 2020 USMEX Journal "The Proclamation Medals of Charles IV in Valladolid de Michoacan" by Ricardo Vargas which has some info and references, but this one is not mentioned.

You could also check the Skilton sale (Thomas Elder, 1925) which has been reprinted by Numismatics International, so should be easy enough to locate.

The reverse die is from a "jura" of Mexico City, but that medal is not considered a coin despite having a denomination listed. Nor are the others with different denominations.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SoCalBigMark said:

@Weiss said:

mijo, que did you do with my peso?

It's right there, homie. Just a bit of contrast to show the cameo.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EASilver said:

4 Reales Potosi Mint

Oh baby! That’s beautiful!!!

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options

@pruebas said:
    OK, since the USA is part of North America, here is a token made in England (Soho Mint) for Kentucky. It never got beyond the pattern stage. They come in bronzed copper (shown here) and silver, the copper being rarer. It's called a Myddelton token (so named because Mr. P. P. P. Myddelton had it made), and it's avidly collected by US colonial coin collectors.

@MrEureka picked this up raw in London and I purchased it and slabbed it. It unfortunately has two grade-limiting spots.

Very nice! So now you have both versions, this one and the Silver

Is the dated side considered the obverse? It was shown opposite of this previously in the NGC image.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2023 12:58PM

@EASilver said:

4 Reales Potosi Mint

Great looking coin congrats!!!

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

Successful Transactions with the following board members: Pruebas & SimonW

• Options

Actually, the Heritage photos of the original piece in copper aren't bad. From the Doug Robins Collection.

Here they are:

• Options

@EASilver said:
    Here's a colorful AU55 2 Reales Mexico City:

Beautiful!

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

A cut piece of eight.

A revalued 8 reale from the Potosi mint scandal.

A three dated 2 reale.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Just got it in-hand and it fits the collection well. Looks 62 by today's standard. Very pleased with it.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CpqSG1fMqUz/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Love the colorful luster!

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BustDMs said:
    A cut piece of eight.

A revalued 8 reale from the Potosi mint scandal.

A three dated 2 reale.

I like it !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased this Carlos IV Proclamation medal by mistake. I had meant to bid on something else. Additionally, I had forgotten that I had purchased a much better example 5 years ago. Nevertheless, the photo of this medal is much nicer than the prior example's photo. Probably due to the fact that I manually chose a larger f-stop. Anywhere, here it is. Could someone tell me how it is identified as being a Peru medal? The pomegranate?

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options

@harasha said:
    I purchased this Carlos IV Proclamation medal by mistake. I had meant to bid on something else. Additionally, I had forgotten that I had purchased a much better example 5 years ago. Nevertheless, the photo of this medal is much nicer than the prior example's photo. Probably due to the fact that I manually chose a larger f-stop. Anywhere, here it is. Could someone tell me how it is identified as being a Peru medal? The pomegranate?

For me, the giveaway is the crowned eagle/shield between the pillars. But that is only from prior experience, not from any legend on the piece.

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭

That in the center is the 'Escudo de Armas' - Coat of Arms of Lima:

hth