Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

You Know Me-- Why Don't I Know You?

Comments

• Options
    I agree with Singapore. I've used my full name in transactions with members of this board and others that I subscribe to without hesitation. However,going public online is another story...There's a lot of weirdos out there ! Twowood
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Clank - I have to say for the first time I have to disagree with you on this issue.

Not all of us are comfortable, on an international net, mentioning our full names.

It may be foolish to feel that way, but I take my privacy to be important to me. As for

people not taking my opinion seriously,I guess that is their choice to make. I call things as I

see them, often I use humour to make a point, other times I just enjoy the banter. Maybe in this,

world a little paranoia is a good protective mechanism to have. Being born in New York City

you learned to anticipate trouble and to avoid it if at all possible. Bear >>

A most wise Bear. image >>

oh, but they'll all know you YOU are very soon because i'm going to tell them >>

Doops- You've been making this lame, factless threat for 1 1/2 months now. You "think" you know something. You say it now, or limp back to the dark corner and shut your fat mouth. C'mon.
  • Options

<< <i>To me there isn't one legitimate reason to shelter your identity if you are going to participate in this forum in any meaningful way. Do other people really have a reason? I would genuinely like to hear any arguments for not revealing who you are in your dealings and participation on the forum.

The people around here (the few) that I know of that mask their identities, their opinions hold no weight to me. Most of the time I won't even read their posts. But, I'm just wondering if someone can provide me with some insight.

Carl Funk/Clankeye >>

Your entire post above contradicts itself.

A)You won`t read posts from people who choose not to reveal their identities:

1)You wouldn`t know me if I told you who I am unless you do shows in and around Pa..

2)Many prominent posters say things of no importance,often only to flame or insult.

B)Why do you ask questions of those you ignore?

A dealer once asked me if I noticed any three-legged buffalos on the bourse,to which I replied,"...no,but I saw alot of two-legged jackasses..."
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    I think a number of good points have been made here. Bottom line, there are some posters who have valid reasons for remaining anonymous, while others do not.

Stman is a great example of a forum member who chooses not to reveal as much personal information about himself as some others do, but for legitimate reasons. He always shares his thoughts and opinions in a genuine way and I have never thought he has been anything but totally honest and sincere.

Some of the other anonymous posters, on the other hand, have hidden agendas, stir up trouble and hide. Most of them will not be participating in this thread.
  • Options
    I try not to read posts where people make broad sweeping generalizations. I have no value for those kind of opinions.

Tom Biddick

I can quit collecting anytime I want to.....I just don't want to!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Clank - I have to say for the first time I have to disagree with you on this issue.

Not all of us are comfortable, on an international net, mentioning our full names.

It may be foolish to feel that way, but I take my privacy to be important to me. As for

people not taking my opinion seriously,I guess that is their choice to make. I call things as I

see them, often I use humour to make a point, other times I just enjoy the banter. Maybe in this,

world a little paranoia is a good protective mechanism to have. Being born in New York City

you learned to anticipate trouble and to avoid it if at all possible. Bear >>

A most wise Bear. image >>

oh, but they'll all know you YOU are very soon because i'm going to tell them >>

Doops- You've been making this lame, factless threat for 1 1/2 months now. You "think" you know something. You say it now, or limp back to the dark corner and shut your fat mouth. C'mon. >>

you're not quite ripe yet dchumpeo. i dont think i know who you are,i KNOW and YOU know i know who you are and you know i'm not in a position yet to divuldge that openly on this forum and i wont until it's all in one long layout so they all can go back over the last 4 months of your whining and roostering and piece it all together as to why you would have tried to do what you've done. and as i've said your toublemaking blab has made everyone one here just about everyone email me to find out. many already know from guessing. just keep burying yourself a little more......i want them all to know what your problem is, the whole story.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Mrs Bear doesnt even know my name or where I live.imageimage
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    For the record, I am officially sorry I started this thread. Not because Vam44 challenges me on a few things... that's cool, I can certainly take a little heat. But... it looks like this has the potential to become a battle ground thread with some other members and that was not my intent.

I will say it myself. Perhaps I should have thought this one out a little better before posting. Usually I do. I give much thought to the things I post here. This one has the potential to get ugly, and I am sorry that I foisted it on the forum.

Carl
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well said, Carl...I say let this one die.

T
    H
    R
    E
    A
    D
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    There is noway of knowing how a thread will turn out, Coinguy1 posted a great thread on the Standing Liberty Quarters and it went downhill.........
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Clank.

My name is Ken and I drive a Factory 4 Speed, Baby Blue 1964 Fairlane (Not your everyday plain Honda you see thousands of). Collect Merc Dimes. Like to be somewhat private and do not think I have ever used my last name here. From the Great NorthWest. If you ever see the Car on the road pull me over and I would be glad to meet you. Hey that goes for everyone.

BTW. I can see why some folks would like thier privacy. Not all people are gregarious and like to permeate the Inter Net with thier personal statistics. image

Ken
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My name is Ken and I drive a Factory 4 Speed, Baby Blue 1964 Fairlane ( >>

And I search for this everytime I am in the Portland area which is around 3 times a year.... I'll find you!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Someone stole my identity once, but they promptly returned it.image
    Joe, as in Joseph Lee Wiley, aka JLW
  • Options
    LokiLoki Posts: 898 ✭✭
    Clank,

Trolls don't care who made the bridge (thread); it's just another bridge for them to fight under. I believe everyone who wanted to do so made their opinions heard. Thanks for starting the thread as it made for interesting reading while it lasted.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Some of the people that use their name all the time or their name is their handle, How do you know it's for real????? >>

I'm really Lucy.image

You know, the funny thing is that my name, address and telephone number have been publicly available on a well traficked web site for nearly seven years, and I've never encountered any of these "looneys" that keep being referred to.

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never and I mean Never Driven in the Rain !!! That leaves 2 Days a Year to Drive it. image

Good Luck Lucy.

Ken
  • Options
    Clankeye - With the power vested in me by the society of furry creatures, you

are hereby pardoned and fully absolved of the contents of this thread. All is null and void

and you are once again the pristine and noble bard of the Forum. Sleep well sweet prince of stories,

may all our misadventures dissappear in the gentle mist of time and space. For all things come

and then pass to forgotten wisps of distant memory. What was, is no more and all is again

as it once was.

Camelotimage
  • Options
    "You know, the funny thing is that my name, address and telephone number have been publicly available on a well traficked web site for nearly seven years, and I've never encountered any of these "looneys" that keep being referred to. Russ"

Yeah, but Russ, all you have for anyone to rip off is a bunch of JFK's! image

Okay...let's see:

- Fire retardent suit? Check!
    - Fireproof mask? Check!

Okay...flame away!
  • Options
    BIGDAVEBIGDAVE Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭
    It Does not bother me to give info out , i live in the mountains 1800 feet above sea level, nearest store is 20 miles from here,
    and i Have two body guards, SMITH and WESSON, 3 clips and 800 rounds of ammo
    and a lot of the police are my friends, remember i have daughters,they come by all the time
    The post office has one employee the POSTMASTER
    that is why i can ship coins out so fast

David Welker
  • Options
    Bear...you sure do talk purtyimage

Sincerely, Bill Gates....I mean...paigowjohnny
  • Options
    Outhaul - I am going to call you the worst thing that I can think

of you, you....................................PERSON you.image Bear
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    ROTFLMAO@johnny
  • Options
    If your unhappy with someone hiding, quit beating around the bush and ask them, "Who are you?" If they don't reply, don't bother with them or thier opinions. I'm new, and I figured it out pretty quick who to ignore, and frankly it's quite a few here. But I'd hope opinions are based upon reading my posts and not whether or not my name is at the bottom of the page.
    Got Morgan?
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the record, I am officially sorry I started this thread.

Carl,

No worries... Your thread, however, does bring out an important point. It should be evident that the Internet is a big, bad world. It has lots of good, as well as lots of bad. All that is gold does not glitter, and that glitters is not gold.

You need to be very careful, lest you be made a target. I do not like to reveal myself to anyone, even to those with whom I've struck up a nice online rapport. I have made friends via an online medium, but I do so cautiously. And, I prefer not even to reveal why I am so guarded. Revealing even that information can be revealing too much. It's a big world out there, with reasons many cannot fathom.

I'll cite one exaggerated example: I am Chinese, and my family is from the mainland. (I've posted this before.) My surname happens to be a royal name. If it were true that I am descended from royalty, then my life and that of my family would be in jeopardy because the government of the PRC have had a standing order to assassinate any remaining royals beyond their control.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    Chalk me up in the "cautious" column. I am a private person by nature, but on the internet I am very cautious.

With that said, I sign my PMs with my first name. I don't want to share my email with you all, and I feel that I don't need to. I've told you I live in California (see me on MastaHanky's map?), and if you know me from Ebay, then you know me enough!

I rarely even look at the profiles. When I do, I find them often times with only a first name or a pseudonym anyway.
  • Options
    Thanks for a thought-provoking question. I've had to examine my choice to be a handle, rather than a name.

I choose to remain who I am here, rather than who I am when I'm elsewhere. But you did make me think about it !

My name and your name, and the names of others doesn't give legitimacy to the knowledge and B.S. shared on the board, but in my reckoning, it doesn't diminish it either. As we move to the often faceless (not in Lucy's case!) virtual world, I wonder if there isn't a part of us all that cries out to find a more personal touch, a resemblance of the encounters we are leaving behind from the low-tech. face-to-face, hand-shake, 'how are you' world of our experience.

If you choose not to read the faceless, nameless thread, your choice and likely my loss. I choose to read yours. I know your name, but I know more from your thoughts than from handle or your name.

I choose the handle, and simply because I have the choice.
    And because everyone isn't nice like me.

Every day is a gift.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many good reasons of both sides. Posting your information here is a risk.
    It's a choice each must make for their own reasons.

We know why the Trolls hide their information.
    They would get more heat than they could handle.
    Larry

• Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    Anyone who needs to know who i am can pm me or hit that blue eyeglass icon.

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    There's about 100 people here that know my name where I live tele # etc but I don't advertise it because somebody might try to rip me off. It makes such a mess when a 240 jhp explodes somebody's head like a ripe watermelon and I'd rather not have the hassle. You know that when the meatwagon hauls off a carcass that's all they do. They don't pick up all the little pieces of bone & brain or wipe the blood of the walls nor do they rip up & replace your carpet for you.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Because of this Forum I have over the past year anthropormorphised into an actual bear.

I do get strange looks when I go out, but I tell people that I am just a very large dog.

Sometimes I ear shoes and dress up like a real person and tell people I havent shaved for a few days.

Most of the time though, I just Lie down in the sun and snooze. I like to watch the lemons on my

tree grow as big as grapefruits and turn a beautiful golden yellow. Its rather a quiet life but

a good life, at least for a bear.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    I have nothing to hide.

Dennis Chronister
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    a couple of observations:

Clank - feel free to ignore anything I say. Unless you and I transact some business, or you know someone who transacts business with me, it is unlikely you will ever know my name, and as a result, my address, phone number, social security number, amount of real estate I own, registrations of my vehicles, date of birth, family geneology, number of siblings and all of the above as it relates to them, teh number of times I have been married, how many guns I own, the names of my children, teh schools they attend, what time they arrive at and leave from those schools, the university I attended, the sports I played in high school, the professional licenses I hold, the number of credit cards I have, the name of my business, the names of my customers, my credit rating, and thousands of other details that can be had when you have someones name and location.

I have done business with a number of people on these forums. I have no problem revealing my identity to them, as quite frankly they reveal theirs as well.

If you want a good reason not to, just check out any post by doops or whatever his name is.

I also do not want anyone zeroing in on me as a coin collector who may or may not have valuable coins in his home at any time. I would not want to clean up the mess after my two rottweillers get done with you, and if by chance you get by them, I have a number of firearms that work really well.

so, by all means, ignore anything I say, I hide behind an internet persona, with holding my real identity for no reason and I am not wirthy of your regard or attention.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

Forget about all of this controversy over identity. Lets just post nude pictures of each of us, I bet we'd all move on to another topic real quick like - sometimes "revealing everything" isn't so great!image
  • Options
    ZerbeZerbe Posts: 587 ✭✭
    unfortunately, I have been slamming a large west coast dealer for about a month, but I have had good reason to. I posted my whole name at the end of some of those posts, because I said some very inflammatory remarks, all true, and I wanted everyone to know it was coming from me, Paul Taylor, as I have nothing to hide. I felt it was important that everyone know those remarks were coming from Paul Taylor, not my, ' Zerbe handle'. The "other side" took to the hills, and refuses to aknowledge their side of the story. In short, I have nothing to hide as I have many registry sets with my name on them.
    I have noticed some threads lately where people must be inventing new handes in order to cause trouble. It has'nt effected me personally, but I can see how it could be major annoyance to people, because you are wasting a lot of time reading all that dribble. Zerbe-----Paul Taylor
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Some people don't feel safe using their name, and that should be up to each person. You can see mine in my identity, and I usually sign with my first name.

Tony

1-15-03
    Well after additional thought, I'm changing my point of veiw.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Frank, I dont need all of that information, just enough of it to use your credit card

from time to time.As for your rottweilers., I dont think that bears and dogs get along

real good. This thread , in general is worthwhile to air out peoples feelings about the

internet especially for newbies. Almost all people on these Forums are good and decent

people, but I guess we never really know what creeps monitor and gleen information

that could be used to harm or annoy us. We all read your stuff Frank, so keep it coming.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Clank,

I am in the minority on your thread. I respect and understand some's need for privacy, but I've never given my privacy much thought. I deal with the public everyday. My handle is my real name, and my profile links to my real business, and a real phone number. My ebay ID is my email address. Probably 50 or so forum members know my home address, and so do 500 ebayers. Many members here have had my checking account info, and I am pretty easy to find in my hometown. What I say here, I am accountable for, unless I'm joking. The ladies on this forum have more serious issues to contend with than I, and many members feel safer remaining anonymous. I respect their choice, but choose another path. I feel my privacy is better protected in the wide open, surrounded by friends and family. image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At first I was somewhat concerned with revealing my name in a public forum such as this, a-la bear. I think with time I have become somewhat more comfortable. In PMs I have usually signed with my real name, I guess there is no reason not to in public as well.

My name is Tom,
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Dog,

It's even messier with a 12 gauge.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    << To me there isn't one legitimate reason to shelter your identity if you are going to participate in this forum in any meaningful way. >>

I'm very open about my identity.

I just don't share it with anybody because I doubt anybody cares. image
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    Clank et al.

There are many members of this board who do not post their names and addresses but are experts in their field of collecting. These people gratiously share that knowledge with the rest of us. It does not take long to figure out who they are. I would not want to lose their contribution to this board just because they prefer to maintain their privacy. In fact, this board would be far more valuable for us all if there were more of them around.

CG

• Options
    keep in mind that you do not have to be a member of this forum to read it.
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    This will soon be longer than the Men are pigs thread.
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    While I might find it useful to know who among us are dealers and particularly influential in the rare coin market, I can think of no reason to try and keep up with several hundred real names to go with forum names. Should the occasion arise to share private information with anyone on this forum, I wouldn't hesitate. In the meantime, I'm 39 and from Austin, Tx. I collect coins and enjoy the information and even the banter provided here. If I were a dealer or an active seller on ebay, I would certainly share the information with the forum.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    Catch 22 - How can we believe anything said by someone who drinks

out of a toilet.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Wow do you think anyone could figure out that Presleyh is really Harry Presley? Maybe i should have been more creative in hiding my identity. I don't own enough of anything to steal from me. Who would ever come to Georgia anyway to track me down? I keep the 30 round SKS in th bedroom in case they do. I have from time to time expressed my opinion but isn't that what this forum is about? Presleyh was recommended by Gateway.net when every name I came up with had already been used. I am of limited mental retention capacity so I use the same name for all my internet transactions. It's easy to remember.
  • Options
    try as we might, you just can't always remember to keep the lid down. Once I hear slurping coming out of the bathroom, I make it a point to ignore anything my dogs say.
  • Options
    Some people might find it hard to believe based on my handle, but my real name is Ke Ithdagen
    Keith ™

• Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    I don't have my personal info posted here, but dozens of members have my address. I talk on the phone with a lot of members here. One of the best parts about going to coin shows is meeting other C.U. members!

Clankeye.... did you just call me a troll? image
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    The forum is open to anyone who signs up for it, and that leaves the door open to anyone who might want to pick up email address or other information.
    If someone on this forum wanted to email me they can use the pm, thats what its for.
    If they want to know my name, pm me and I will tell you.
    My user name is the same on Ebay, if that would help.
    I'm not a dealer or collector as yet.
    As for not reading any forums from hidden Id's, that could be your lost.
    I don't post to much, but read a lot and I don't care if they hide their ID or not, Other than the personal attacks on others a lot can be learned on this forum.

Dan
    <>< ~~~

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file