Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

You Know Me-- Why Don't I Know You?

To me there isn't one legitimate reason to shelter your identity if you are going to participate in this forum in any meaningful way. Do other people really have a reason? I would genuinely like to hear any arguments for not revealing who you are in your dealings and participation on the forum.

The people around here (the few) that I know of that mask their identities, their opinions hold no weight to me. Most of the time I won't even read their posts. But, I'm just wondering if someone can provide me with some insight.

Carl Funk/Clankeye
Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>To me there isn't one legitimate reason to shelter your identity if you are going to participate in this forum in any meaningful way. >>

Ditto.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    Handle is my initials and year of birth. My last name only has an initial shown.
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    I'm paranoid about sick-o's getting my personal info. Been burned once already.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Carl Funk. Sorry I don't know you.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm paranoid about sick-o's getting my personal info. Been burned once already. >>

At's interesting though we are willing to send a stranger a personal check and it's got about as much personal info. as a crook could possibly want (including your account number!).

No, there really isn't a sound reason not to allow others to know you here- even if it is just on a first name basis.

peacockcoins

• Options
    I'm undercover with the CIA posing as an idiot newbie getting taken on overgraded, dipped, and generally crappy Morgans......

or would you believe...an ACG mole who would be hunted down like a dog if my identity were known....

My girlfriend, Carmen Electra, wouldn't like all the coin weenies following us around if everybody knew who I was.....

I don't want people to know that I own the 33 Saint....image
  • Options
    I give my name in every post:

Cameron Kiefer

e-mail: kieferscoins2000@yahoo.com
    ebay Id: kiefersebay@yahoo.com

Visalia Police Department ID number: E-9

Cameron
  • Options
    Well I'm new to this board, and I don't feel bad about not knowing anybody more personally.
    Checks have thier set of problems, I agree. I also use a Post office box. I also have a family.
    And a BIG territorial Great Daneimage. I guess as time goes by, I might loosen up. We are all built differant you know. I'm still sticking my toes in the water, so be patient.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I post my Registry Sets under my name, and sometimes post my first name (Doug) but use a "handle" just because.

BTW: I worked with a guy from Israel who may be related (I haven't seen too many Funks).

He's got one of my favorite names (after Nitsan Grinblat).

He's name is Shlomi Funk - show me some funk
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    There are numerous reasons to be private. Some of us, not me, have very valuable coins and we'd like to keep it that way. Anonymous posting lets people not feel to pressured. If you want to know someone, talk to them and ask them what you'd like to know. Many adults are shy, unlike children.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That's interesting though we are willing to send a stranger a personal check and it's got about as much personal info. as a crook could possibly want (including your account number!). >>

I was helping someone set up a PayPal account -- and he balked when PayPal asked them for a checking account number. Yet this same person has had no problem sending checks to various random eBay sellers. Pointing out that every check he sends includes his account number had no effect on his opinion.

Apropos to the thread, You know me. I'm *me* image.
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭
    To be honest, I never really thought about putting my real name on here, I think its in my profile, but I wouldnt swear to it without looking. And if anyone wants to steal my identity and take what meager possessions I have, more power to em image

Jeff Coates

Aka: Houndyman
    imageimage

• Options
    "I'm still sticking my toes in the water, so be patient. "
    Did you wash your feet?
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Carl,

I've often wondered the same thing. Maybe the key is, as you put it "if you are going to participate in this forum in any meaningful way". I have a hard time believing that those who shield their identities can or do participate in a "meaningful way". After all, why listen to or believe someone who hides behind a mask. The Lone Ranger would be the one exception, in my book.

I am willing to keep an open mind, though, and listen to their reasons/explanations.

When I joined this forum, I was very much aware of the possibility that I might end up saying something that could/would come back to bite me or the company I work for. However, I felt that I had something to offer and was willing to take the risk. If someone doesn't like what I have to say, so be it. I am perfectly willing to stand on my conduct and my words, with people knowing who I am and what I believe. Many others here, do the same.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clankeye, Coinguy1 asked your question a while back. While I understand you would question why a person doesn't show who they are, it is their right. I replied to this question in the past the same way. When I first joined I didn't even pay attention to the profile part. And being new to the Internet didn't feel it was a good idea to post to the world who I am.

Now you might not be reading this as you said sometimes you don't but that's fine. I've always read and respected your posts.

Also I feel telling someone who I am is on a need to know basis. Many on here know who I am. But with all the nutjobs I've seen on here and split personalities and "SYBIL'S" I will keep my identity on a need to know basis.

Regards, Me
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    Nothing to hide here.

Bill Hemenway
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options

<< <i>I have a hard time believing that those who shield their identities can or do participate in a "meaningful way >>

Well I guess since you decided I'm not meaningful then that's that.

I also feel someone has too much time on their hands that they need to stir these kind of things up. Now flame away people!!!!
  • Options
    O.k, O.k, my name is Greg Rasputinimage
    What do you hear more on the news, etc about the internet?
    "spread your personal info all over the internet"
    "protect your personal info"
    Trust is earned in my book.
    Anyway, we are sharing knowledge.
  • Options
    Let me preface my response by saying that I have corresponded with people on this board privately, under my real name, and wouldn't hesitate to do so again on a 1 to 1 basis with someone to discuss a real issue.

On the other hand, having my name and Email address posted publicly here in the forum makes me nervous with all the loonies out there - maybe I'm paranoid, but just because your paranoid doesn't mean that someone is not chasing you. I've always liked that line.

Singapore
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me there isn't one legitimate reason to shelter your identity

......hey carl, i guess that's why you open your profile. there are some legitimate reasons, but short of having them explained the best course is to just read what those anonymous members post. i mean, hey, in all honesty aren't there some members who have an open profile whose opinions hold no weight anyway??

al h.image
  • Options
    Maybe I should put David Hall in my profile then someone might be impressed image
  • Options
    Stman--
    My post is not directed to a guy such as yourself at all. You post here regularly, you have certain tastes in collecting you have expressed, that we have come to know. You share of your opinion, and are not just inclined to weigh in all the time with negative or inflammatory comments. It's different. I read your posts, and the funny thing is, when I see "Stman" or your icon, I do feel like I know a little about you in some regards. Let's put it this way, you are not someone who we have to wonder about what your agenda is, what other forum identities you may have, what axe you're grinding today.

There are different kinds of anonymity on the board. That you don't really share your full name isn't a concern to me. You share other things that make it obvious you are a credible member here.

And, let me say in starting this thread, I asked for legitimate reasons for people shielding their identity. I truly want to hear them or I wouldn't have asked.

Carl
  • Options
    I don't put my name here because there are few people with my last name. It wouldn't take anyone who wanted to find out where I lived very long to do so.
    So now someone has my name and address and know I collect coins.
    You can figure the rest out I think.

I won't even buy a coin on ebay if the seller is in the same state as me for the same reason.
  • Options
    Clankeye, thanks for the good words. You are right I don't weigh in all the time, and try to conduct myself in a decent manor. I have learned a lot from the board and hopefully I've helped someone along the way. I also like to have some fun once in a while and I'm sure you've noticed that.
  • Options
    I would like to think that I choose and write a certain thread topic for other reasons than "I have too much time on my hands."

I am writing this because it is something that has been much on my mind of late. Especially with an influx of new members, that have had "interesting" things to bring to the table, to say the least.

My father was a small town newspaper publisher. I grew up with the anonymous letter and the anonymous phone call. I have a deep respect for people that sign their names to things. Or tell you their name before they start a conversation. Does everybody here need to give out their full names everytime they post something? No. But, sometimes things are posted here that are nothing more than a person hiding behind a keyboard. I didn't start this thread to rake up trouble. I have the right to ask if someone can explain their reasons to me. I have asked and people are answering.

Carl
  • Options

<< <i>. But, sometimes things are posted here that are nothing more than a person hiding behind a keyboard. >>

What do you mean, like someone trying to do a dirty deed?image
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Clank - I have to say for the first time I have to disagree with you on this issue.

Not all of us are comfortable, on an international net, mentioning our full names.

It may be foolish to feel that way, but I take my privacy to be important to me. As for

people not taking my opinion seriously,I guess that is their choice to make. I call things as I

see them, often I use humour to make a point, other times I just enjoy the banter. Maybe in this,

world a little paranoia is a good protective mechanism to have. Being born in New York City

you learned to anticipate trouble and to avoid it if at all possible. Bear

There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Again, Bear see my reply to Stman. We know enough about you from your posts to where your actual full name is not the point.

I would ask this, why should I care what someone who wouldn't back up a strong opinion with a name thinks?

There have been flame threads that break out on this forum where people's professional credentials are run down. Things are hinted at, or said outright, by people that are the equivalent of drive-by shootings. Why would I lend any credence to someone impugning the honesty of a dealer for instance, if they don't have the forthrightness to provide their own name?

Carl

PS .... dirty deeds? Done dirt cheap.
  • Options

<< <i>...done dirt cheap. >>

ah! now we know what kind of music you listen to.image
  • Options

<< <i>Being born in New York City >>

Get the rope!!!!!

Born in the Bronx myself. Does that explain me better?
  • Options

<< <i>Clank - I have to say for the first time I have to disagree with you on this issue.

Not all of us are comfortable, on an international net, mentioning our full names.

It may be foolish to feel that way, but I take my privacy to be important to me. As for

people not taking my opinion seriously,I guess that is their choice to make. I call things as I

see them, often I use humour to make a point, other times I just enjoy the banter. Maybe in this,

world a little paranoia is a good protective mechanism to have. Being born in New York City

you learned to anticipate trouble and to avoid it if at all possible. Bear >>

A most wise Bear. image
  • Options

<< <i>you learned to anticipate trouble and to avoid it if at all possible. Bear >>

Bear, as far as I can see you always "ride to the sound of the gunfire." And that's fine with me. Let Bear be Bear I say.

Clank
  • Options
    I grew up in New York Also, Brooklyn and queens, (ooops, too much personal info) went to high school there. It was many times rough and scary.
    If I did something that wasnt street wise, and got hurt in some way, a lot of times there is a
    "well what the hell were you doing there" or whatever. I.E., cover your hinder.
  • Options
    Clank, how much information are you looking for? I've kept my email address turned off mainly to try to cut down on Spam, but will galdly give it to anyone looking to email me.

As far as information beyond first name, sometimes you have to be careful. I've authored threads about numismatic limericks here! There's no telling what kind of sickos would want to know where to find me for that reason alone! image
  • Options

<< <i>Clank, how much information are you looking for? >>

Not much. Just enough to know the post you are reading is not a fabrication, a put-on, an account created by someone to forward an agenda... is that too much to ask?

Carl
  • Options
    LokiLoki Posts: 898 ✭✭
    The people you want most to reveal their identites are the people that are most likely never to do so. Trolls, flamers, bad ebay sellers, scammers will never reveal anything about themselves other than what is absolutely necessary, and even then that information is suspect.

I respect honest people that do not wish to reveal anything other than a handle. That is ok with me. I enjoy (sometimes) reading their posts just as much as others. I also respect their right to privacy.

The Internet gives people a medium to be able to voice an anonymous opinion which otherwise would not be heard. That is freedom of speech at it's finest. I can live with that.
  • Options
    Here is something I've wondered..... Some of the people that use their name all the time or their name is their handle, How do you know it's for real?????

Anyway thanks for the chance to weigh in on this matter, now I'll start thinking coins again.
  • Options
    I buy from other members and share PM's with other members quite often who get all my details...however...I really do tend to agree with the wise old Bear on this one about broadcasting to the whole world.

Also, I don't wish to have a hoard of modern collectors carrying torches trying to burn down my fort in case they mistakenly think that I am slamming modern coin prices!!!

Go well.
  • Options
    Can I have a hug, better yet, group hugimage
  • Options
    I believe our reputation is made by the total body of our words. If someone has

an agenda ,then that becomes almost immediately evident. I have been impressed by the

level of life experience and intelligence present on the board. I believe this Forum can spot

a phoney at 6 paces. It is true, I do tend to ride to the sound of the guns, but neither did I ride

to the Little Big Horn . Regards Abe( Im an old bear you know)

Camelotimage
  • Options
    Clank....I agree with a lot of folks before...I'm paranoid about identity theft/manipulation. What better place for a dishonest person to lurk then on an open forum of people who deal in rare coins. I post seriously, and I post for humor...but I don't go out to flame or defame anybody. If somebody doesn't like my posts, does it make any difference that he knows my name is Bill Gates or not ??

A good example...I used to spend a lot of time on the Yahoo stock threads. A woman I struck up a friendship with told me of how she posted nothing more than her e-mail once and got hit on constantly...and sometimes not in a very nice way....

If I'm doing a deal with you (as I am now with SarasotaFrank, for example), we'll know who each other is...but to fly blind on these boards...I remain paigowjohnny (kind of a wierd handle for a guy named Bill Gates)
  • Options
    my agenda is to learn as much as possible about the hobby. This is a good venue.
    If I try to sell you something, I guess you'll have to get more info in a pm.
    But, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, and use my instincts there too.

• Options
    Piagowjohnny--
    That's a legitmate answer. As many of you have given. That's what I was asking. I want to see it from a different perspective other than my own.

Carl
  • Options
    Clank - Is this origonal research ,for you next Classroom Tales??
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carl...PM sent image

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I get lots of insulting mail, oh well, this started 5 years ago with my website......
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Clank - I have to say for the first time I have to disagree with you on this issue.

you learned to anticipate trouble and to avoid it if at all possible. Bear >>

A most wise Bear. image >>

oh, but they'll all know you YOU are very soon because i'm going to tell them
  • Options
    One Good Reason:
    Why advertise and make yourself a target of someone who is looking for someone to rob.

Another Good Reason:
    Someone may take something you say the wrong way and go postal.

Although I agree, some people use it just to act like a wise guy/gal and to stir up trouble.

-Dave
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucy...I've been to your web site...It's PISSAH!!!
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Charles D. Daughtrey

Sorry, my identity has been hidden since I first posted here...it has been at the bottom of every post. I'll move it to the top.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file