Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

You Know Me-- Why Don't I Know You?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Some people know my name and more will when I meet them, but i dont really care that much. I'm just an kid with an attitude problem who likes explosions and coins.
  • Options
    G.. ! alan somewhere round the mile high city
    bfd
    ctf
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    Forgive me, as I only read the first 3 pages of responses. But thought I'd add my opinion...

There are several reasons why I do not list all of my info, such as my last name. It would be very easy for someone to steal your identity, listing your full name and city/state you live in. Since this is a coin forum, it would only make sense that a lot of us have valuable coins at our house, etc. I am sure there are many valid reasons listed that I didn't read.

As for not being able to particiapte in a meaningful way if you mask your identity........NOT! You learn by experience and reading threads and people responses to them, and after a while I know what people are knowledgeable, and give "meaningful responses." And yet, I do not know their identity. So, because I do not list my last name, etc. I am just a meaningless person here. I hope not. I read, I learn, I respond when I have some info to share.

I will, and have, given out my home info, etc when trading or buying from a forum member. But to post it for the whole world to see, no thanks.
  • Options
    ZerbeZerbe Posts: 587 ✭✭
    Geoman, you should have been born with a name like mine. I was told by my insurance agent , that there are more than 50,000 Paul Taylors in the USA.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dog

Great post.
    You said what many should have.

Larry

• Options
    I never really thought about it other then I feel the internet is not the best place to just throw out your personal info. As you can see by how long I have been a member of this forum and how few posts I have made I am not a big contributer in the forum. I read most of the threads but I just started collecting coins when the State quarters came out so I am here to learn. There are some really knowledgeable people on this board that don't post their names and their opinions and insights are just as valuable as the ones that do. The fact of whether there is a name at the end of the post has no bearing on the value of the info it contains, at least as far as I am concerned. I don't post my info but it has nothing to do with worrying about someone targeting my coins to steal. My dozen or so Morgan's all common date and only about half of them MS, a few Peace dollars, some low grade type coins, a few dozen error coins and some rolls of unc Lincoln's from the 50' and 60's are not worth anyone risking a severe case of hi-velocity lead poisoning.
    Dog, sounds like we may use similar lead delivery systems i.e.. .44 mag..lol
    If the fact that I don't post my info means that my posts are ignored so be it. I will go as far as to say that my first name is Brian and there is a couple of people on this forum that know me from a couple other coin forums even if they don't realize it..lol
    TNG
    Brian
    1969s WCLR-001 counterclash
  • Options
    Here is a lesson that I learned from starting this thread. I started it based in a kind of frustration and anger building up from what I consider bogus identities popping up on the forum for the sole purpose of causing trouble.

This is what I think: A thread started in anger or frustration will bring responses stirred up by that same anger. People will respond in a defensive mode if they feel they are being tarred with a broad brush. And rightfully so.

My orginal post was not well written. It did not convey my meaning well. I now understand there are many people out there who wish to and have every right to conduct their interactions on this forum with some privacy intact. And they are 100% correct. These are not the people I was aiming my complaint at. The actual number of accounts I was talking about are very few, and I am sorry that so many of you feel that I was taking a shot at you. It was not my intention.

I want to say one thing clearly, I do read your posts, whether you care if I do or not, and it's only in the most extreme cases I will not. I am sorry that I ever said, or gave the impression, that I did not. That comes off extremely arrogant, and again, that was not my intention.

I like the people at this forum. I have said that many times. I do not wish to garner ill will with any of you. In the long run, this thread did point a number of things out to me. So maybe I will count it as a success. I asked a question, I was given a number of different answers, and upon reflection it made for an interesting day. And I am sorry if anyone took it as a personal affront.

Clankeye
    Carl
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    No prob, Mr. "Funk" (yeah, right!)

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It takes more than just a name for identity theft. The bad guy would also need your date of birth and/or your social security number.
    Just your name and the state (even the town) you live in is not enough.

Also, just a name doesn't really tell anyone who you are.

peacockcoins

• Options
    WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    Its not the name behind the post.. but the content of its character. If one cannot enjoy conversation about the hobby we love, without having to disclose personal information .. then I think you have it all wrong.

If this were true. then we wouldnt have handles.. would we? Let's keep a cordial forum and if I want to give my name out.. I guess that is my perogative

Sorry.. I voiced my opinion late and I only read about 2 dozen posts.. but still feel I bring enough to the forums to be heard.

Thank you!!

WWQ

HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
  • Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    David Hall gave me his permission to use his handle because he was too busy eating lasagna to participate on the message boards.

Clankeye
  • Options
    WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    Now.. we dont know who's who!! Talk about double identity.
    HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>David Hall gave me his permission to use his handle because he was too busy eating lasagna to participate on the message boards. >>

That puts us in a real Funk now.image
  • Options
    Tony, Houston area, last name: Aluknavich; nationality: Lithuanian: Born in Bridgeport, Connecticut; Schools: University of New Haven: Degrees: BSME, BSIE, MBA. Married, two beautiful daughters (both college educated), Collect coins and vintage model airplane kits.

Hey, I think it is neat to be known. After all, we are all here together and it's what makes this life experience great.

thanks for allowing me to post,

Tony
    USAF VET. 1964 -1968
    Proud of America!

I Have NO PCGS Registry Sets!
  • Options
    This homerunhall guy... see that's exactly the kind of account I'm talking about. I mean, what do we know about the guy? Nothing. Comes in here, stirs up trouble, and then trys to pretend he's me.
    It's an outrage.

And yes, I am kidding.

Carl
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭
    OK,i'll ring in here.I'm a nobody,you might not like me,but then again,you might.Think i'll just keep lurking.I do like your stories,Thanks.

Numobri (also a Brian)
    NUMO
  • Options
    this thread is a waste of bandwith
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I love it when ol HepDaddyHall is posting!!!!!!image
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi
    I'm posting here because someone said I'd be a troll if I didn't.

'Where I am, what I am, is what I believe in! Holly holy!........Neil Diamond

And whoever wants to know who I am better speak up now....................................................
    ..........................just what I thought.......no one!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    i am , i said.

K S
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i am , i said.

K S >>

Yes, that's a good one also. Lot of great stuff said in this thread. It helps to clear the air.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    Cool...we have another celebrity on the thread...dorkkarl is really Neil Diamond.

Sincerely, Bill Gates...er...paigowjohnny.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    My real name is Puddintame.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was Japancoinguy?

peacockcoins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights