Comments

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eric_Babula said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@Eric_Babula said:

@DeplorableDan said:
    @Eric_Babula

I’m younger and I’m normally on the forefront of technology, but I much prefer quality glass over my cell phone for magnification.

Can you let me know why you prefer the glass? I was just doing a cursory test this evening, and it seems that my MagnifierPlus app with light on gets me a pretty good view of the coin. I can then take a snapshot of it, and blow it up. Or, just blow it up live and view.

I obviously have to play with the idea more, but I'm wondering why more people don't use the cell phone. Is it fear of technology, or just "the loupe is the way it's always been done"?

When I get a chance, I’ll download the magnifierplus app for and see how how it compares to my loupe view. Normally, I just use the camera app and zoom in and the image ends up being too grainy to make a determination. Perhaps the app makes it better but I’ll have to compare them and get back to you.

I'd love to hear your conclusions!

FYI - if it matters:
    - my 5x is a Carson MiniBrite LED Lighted (PO-55).
    - my 10x loupes are Anco and B&L.
    - my cell phone is a Samsung S9.
    - The app is Magnifier Plus - you can turn on your camera light to view the coin. You can zoom in/out. You can take a pic and zoom.

I will most definitely get back to you. My phone is a iPhone 14 pro max and my loupe is an eschenbach 3x6x9. When I do a comparison with my coins I’ll update this thread for sure

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2023 7:48PM

...and last but not least - #17 a Tide pen for mustard stain removal

Seriously though, a very good thought provoking list. I bring cash, checkbook and sometimes coins to sell.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great question/post @Eric_Babula
    and

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eric_Babula said:

@DeplorableDan said:
    @Eric_Babula

I’m younger and I’m normally on the forefront of technology, but I much prefer quality glass over my cell phone for magnification.

Can you let me know why you prefer the glass? I was just doing a cursory test this evening, and it seems that my MagnifierPlus app with light on gets me a pretty good view of the coin. I can then take a snapshot of it, and blow it up. Or, just blow it up live and view.

I obviously have to play with the idea more, but I'm wondering why more people don't use the cell phone. Is it fear of technology, or just "the loupe is the way it's always been done"?

Your eye looking through a glass that magnifies. Doesn't get any simpler. And it's quick.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

I travel pretty light:

1) 2K in $100s
    2) Loupe
    3) Cellphone, which has my want list notes
    4) Energy bar

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1874 said:
    Your eye looking through a glass that magnifies. Doesn't get any simpler. And it's quick.

I'd agree. Take a picture and blow it up? You're looking at what some software programmer thinks you should be seeing, based on what some hardware engineer has designed a camera to record. No thanks.

But then, that's just me.

• Options

@DisneyFan said:
    I've never brought cash to a coin show. I'm a checkbook guy. How much of an issue are counterfeit $100 bills at coin shows?

Dealers love cash. I always use cash for coin purchases at a show. I put my counterfeit currency detector marker in my murse for possible use at the show. I would cheerfully loan it for use by the dealer about to accept my cash tender in currency. But no, I'm not going to ask a dealer if I can use my counterfeit detector marker on his collectible currency to see if it's real.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    • cash
    • loupe (the equalizer, as I collect half dimes)
    • 1 page (2 sides) "cheat sheet" with my short descriptions of 132 top varieties, including the grades of the ones I own and prices in circulated grades by date. I have almost all the varieties memorized, so this is just in case I can't remember.
  • Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reading glasses and a loop.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eric_Babula said:
    It seems that is has been about 20 years since this question has been asked/answered (or I missed more recent threads), so maybe some priorities have changed. I haven't been to a coin show in over 40 years, and hope to go to some.....eventually. To be honest, it's kinda intimidating. But, the thought of going to a coin show is also exciting!

For my first one, or few, I will probably not bring much of anything - just some cash.......in case I find something I "need". I plan to use the first one or two as a learning experience, more than anything. I'll wander, observe, listen, chat and learn.....and look at some coins and just maybe buy myself a present.

I had some thoughts on what I might want to bring with me, but then a number of questions also popped into my head:

1. Cash / credit card / check book.
      • I'm assuming Cash is still king. Yes?
      • Where do you keep your cash? Hidden fanny pack?
      • Do Dealers often take other forms of payment?
      • Are there any unwritten rules regarding payment (e.g. no credit card under $100)?
    2. Cell phone and charger cable.
      • I have apps for PayPal, Venmo, and Zelle, in case I don't have enough cash and Dealers would take those forms of payment.
      • I could also have my entire coin list and Want List on my phone.
      • Are there usually charging stations or available outlets (for the public to charge a phone)?
      • Do people bring cell phone charging bricks (heavy)?
    3. Comfortable shoes!
    4. Clothes with lots of pockets?
    5. Messenger bag (sling over shoulder).
      • I'm thinking this would be better/safer than a backpack, where you have to take it off (and could accidentally leave it somewhere), or might not notice someone behind you, unzipping and stealing. Thoughts?
    6. 5x lighted magnifier???
      • Do I even need a 5x magnifier (I have a Carson MiniBrite)? Or, do people just use the Magnifier app on their phones, now? Or, just take a quick picture with their cell phone and zoom in?
      • Do Dealers frown upon people taking pics of their coins?
    7. 10x B&L loupe (for details)???
      • Again, is this even needed w/ a cell phone?
    8. My Want List (w/ approx. prices for different grades, price bumps between grades, maybe mintages, key and semi-key dates). I already know this will be a futile exercise for me - see my sig line, below! I'm 90% sure I would go into a show with a nicely thought out Want List, and leave with absolutely NOTHING from that list!!!
      • Anything else you have in your Want List that is crucial?
      • Do people show their Want List to Dealers? (or maybe have a separate list, only indicating the coins they want w/o prices, etc.?)
      • I could just have pics on my cell phone of my Dansco 7070 album showing the empty slots. That would be a Want List of sorts that I could show a Dealer.
    9. Some coins I'd like to sell/trade?
      • How do you carry the coins you'd like to sell/trade? Raw coins? Slabbed coins?
      • Also, how do you carry (and keep separate from sell/trade coins) the coins you've purchased?
      • How do you approach the subject of selling/trading with a Dealer? Something I think I'm gonna have to witness a few times before being comfortable with that.
    10. Greysheet, or other price guide?
      • Is it bad form to bring out a Greysheet at a table?
    11. Book: Redbook, or ANA Grading Standards, or PCGS Grading Standards. Not for pricing - more for grading.
      • Which one? More than one?
      • Seems like this might be a no-no - like Dealers will KNOW you're a newb to be taken advantage of. Yes? No?
      • I feel that, for the most part, I'm fairly ok at grading, but could always use help if debating a coin's grade with someone.
    12. Book: Top 100 VAM Keys. Not sure if this would be worth it.
    13. Books: Cherrypicker's Guide Vol. 1 and 2.
      • Do Dealers get turned off or annoyed if you pull out these books?
      • Kinda heavy to carry around all day.
    14. Notepad and pens.
      • Or, I could just type notes on my phone.
    15. A couple energy bars and a bottle of water.
      • Is this allowed at shows?
    16. Laptop.
      • Do people bring laptops? I'm thinking not necessary. Although, I would have my coin software there, so my Have List and my Want List would be easily accessible. Also, I could just look up grading standards online. Also, could look up VAMs, or other coin varieties/errors. Also, could look up Greysheet and eBay completed auction pricing. Is there WiFi at shows? That would get rid of a number of the above items.

Ok, that's what I thought of for now. Whew! That list got way longer than I thought it would! As I was typing, I apparently started overthinking this whole thing! LOL!

What say you? What do you bring to coin shows?

What do you think of my list?

What is mandatory, and what is frivolous?

What am I missing?

Can you come and go during a coin show (e.g. to get something for lunch)? Or, is there always food for sale there?

Any unwritten (or written) rules or etiquette protocols I should be aware of?

And, yes, I know the #1 piece of advice should be to HAVE FUN!!!

TIA for any advice!

With all those items might be helpful to pack them all in a locking backpack type of thing.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Knowledge. And if possible some dealer reviews or references from seasoned collectors.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@PerryHall said:
    Anyone take their wife? ;)

Reminds me of an old Henny Youngman, remember him, joke. "Someone take my wife, please".

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn’t we have a thread on this topic a few weeks ago and one guy said he only takes a box of granola bars, Swiss Army knife, and a laptop?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bring most what’s been mentioned. Cash might be king, but you can get into trouble if you carry too much of it. Flashing a lot of cash is dangerous at a show.

I write checks for almost everything. I’ve been going to larger shows since the 1970s. Many dealers know my face if nothing else. If the dealer refuses my check, with references, it’s no deal. I have never been turned down on that basis.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have not been to a coin show in a long time, none in this area. That being said, every day I carry cash (a lot), two flashlights, cell phone, loupe, two firearms, pen and pad, credit cards and a pocket multitool. If I were going to a show I would add a small shoulder bag. So not much preparation needed for a coin show. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guess I'm in the minority. I don't bring anything extra...only what I typically carry every day, which isn't much. I never carry much cash or a check book (I write maybe one or two checks a year, only when I have to). If the dealer doesn't take credit cards, they will either agree to hold the coin for me, or I'll send them money via PayPal or make some other arrangement. If it doesn't work out, it wasn't meant to be.

If I need a loupe, I'll borrow one while I'm there.

For research, etc., I can do everything I need to on my cell phone.

I dress according to the weather.

I don't bring a bag.

I would typically arrange for the dealer to ship any coins I buy to me, rather than carry them around.

I'm a minimalist...most of the extra stuff in your list would just be an inconvenience to me.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually only bring a couple hundred bucks but rarely do I spend. At my local show there is only one dealer who has great stuff and he is on the lookout for me. If he finds something he usually shows it to me at a show and often he will stop by my house and we will make payment arrangements. I have travelled with more cash before but it’s rare. I don’t get the opportunity to go to big shows so it’s rarely an issue bringing more cash.

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone here bring a concealed carry gun for self-defense purposes?

OK, how would that work when you go through security at the airport on the way to a show?

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    edited February 18, 2023 8:20AM

@2ndCharter said:
    Does anyone here bring a concealed carry gun for self-defense purposes?

OK, how would that work when you go through security at the airport on the way to a show?

Depends where you’re flying. There’s a good amount of states with reciprocal concealed carry laws.

Edit - btw the weapons are checked with your luggage, you don’t take them through the tsa checkpoint.

• Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Have not been to a coin show in a long time, none in this area. That being said, every day I carry cash (a lot), two flashlights, cell phone, loupe, two firearms, pen and pad, credit cards and a pocket multitool. If I were going to a show I would add a small shoulder bag. So not much preparation needed for a coin show. Cheers, RickO

Is one a Walter PPK; what is the other firearm?

• Options

@JW77... They are both Springfield XDs .45's.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:

Good to hear I'm not the only one around here who will carry a murse at the show. With all that gear you don't leave your house without ricko, a murse is the ONLY way to go as I see it. ;)

• Options

@mr1874... I do not normally carry a murse... I wear cargo pants, so most gear is in pockets... firearms in holsters. I only carry the shoulder bag at shows for purchases or coins to show/sell. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Inevitably, whatever I bring tends to get somewhat jumbled, even when I attempt to go minimalist...
    I've tried backpack, courier bag and the dreaded fanny pack.
    Something always seems to get misplaced.
    For a minute yesterday, I thought I lost a raw bust dollar in a paper envelope that I brought to submit with favorite dealer... found it!

I like the idea of taking pics on the phone to magnify but I would probably limit this to stuff I was 90% sure I wanted, would also help for remembering the better stuff you've looked at.
    Mostly I'm gonna be using that loupe though..

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cash (dealers love cash , many don’t take checks)

Doubles to sell

Checkbook ( for dealers I have bought from before)

Loupe

Notebook to keep track of things.

Lost of what I’m looking for.

Snack in case I get hungry.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2023 11:27AM

Primarily:

-Cash
    -Checks
    -Credit Cards
    -ID
    -iPhone & charger
    -Loupe
    -Greysheet (just for reference)
    -Any items that I may want to sell or trade

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

A 10x loupe, an 8x magnifying glass, my cell phone with all of the requisite info/websites, some cash, some checks and a cheap plastic binder containing my want list, a page for 2x2's and a Lighthouse 9-coin slab-holder page. I like to travel fast, light and unencumbered by backpacks, satchels, briefcases, messenger bags, etc.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bring my cell phone which contains
    my want list, PayPal account app, PCGS apps, usually $200-300 in cash in small bills and a 10x pocket loupe.
    I wear cargo pants with deep pockets and a shirt with button pockets.
    No credit cards on my person as this limits my ability to overspend.
    I do carry when I attend in state shows.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

I took my wife with me to a show in Toronto a long time ago - she was no bother at all - she knew we had front row centre tickets for Phantom of the Opera at the Pantages theatre that night.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:
    I took my wife with me to a show in Toronto a long time ago - she was no bother at all - she knew we had front row centre tickets for Phantom of the Opera at the Pantages theatre that night.

Was that a CAND show?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ajaan said:

@SaorAlba said:

Was that a CAND show?

Torex. Made significant acquisitions to my Scots and British collection.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    jackpine20jackpine20 Posts: 139 ✭✭✭✭

I just now downloaded a magnifying app on my phone just to see what it was all about. I didn't care for it. I wear a 7X loupe on a lanyard and carry a 4X in a pocket. As a buyer, I would feel confident with Paypal or Venmo, or a check. But as mentioned, cash is king. The PCGS suite of apps is indispensable. One time, when I lived in Texas, a dealer at a small show pulled out his smartphone to quote me a price on a common date gold coin.

Matt Snebold

• Options

About the biggest danger from a security standpoint is when leaving the show. One should always be aware of their surroundings. I won't carry a firearm into a coin show. If I'm accosted outside while trying to get to my car, I'm thinking a well-placed shot of mace while blowing hard on the loud and shrill attention-getting whistle on a lanyard that I have replaced the loupe on a lanyard with will be all I need. :|

• Options
    Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

@jackpine20 said:
    I just now downloaded a magnifying app on my phone just to see what it was all about. I didn't care for it. I wear a 7X loupe on a lanyard and carry a 4X in a pocket. As a buyer, I would feel confident with Paypal or Venmo, or a check. But as mentioned, cash is king. The PCGS suite of apps is indispensable. One time, when I lived in Texas, a dealer at a small show pulled out his smartphone to quote me a price on a common date gold coin.

Thanks for taking up the experiment with the magnifying app. I still have to do a little more playing - maybe yet this weekend. I do have PCGS CoinFacts, Price Guide, Photograde and Cert apps. Any more from PCGS? I also have NGC and Coinflation.

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

• Options
    jackpine20jackpine20 Posts: 139 ✭✭✭✭

@Eric_Babula said:

I do have PCGS CoinFacts, Price Guide, Photograde and Cert apps. Any more from PCGS? I also have NGC and Coinflation.

That’s it! I think you’re ready!

Matt Snebold

• Options
    mrbrklynmrbrklyn Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

@Eric_Babula said:

@DeplorableDan said:
    @Eric_Babula

When I get a chance, I’ll download the magnifierplus app for and see how how it compares to my loupe view. Normally, I just use the camera app and zoom in and the image ends up being too grainy to make a determination. Perhaps the app makes it better but I’ll have to compare them and get back to you.

Just what you need is another thing tracking you around while you buy coins for cash or sell coins for cash...

So many immigrant groups have swept through our town that Brooklyn, like Atlantis, reaches mythological proportions in the mind of the world - RI Safir 1998
  • Options

@DeplorableDan said:
    @Eric_Babula

Then you must be aware that glass works best and is faster and it is secure in that it doesn't report where you are to the NSA. All technophiles know these things.

So many immigrant groups have swept through our town that Brooklyn, like Atlantis, reaches mythological proportions in the mind of the world - RI Safir 1998
  • Options

@Catbert said:
    Adding to Dan's comments.

Prepare for the show with researching the market data for the coins you are seeking. Then when you come across them, you will feel better about whether the coin fits your budget and whether the price is reasonable to you given it's condition and eye appeal.

It is funny that you say that because I never end up buying coins from a show that I expect to get. I always end up getting something new, which I didn't think I would be interested in, but was suprised by.

You have all these coins from everywhere around the world that you only occasionally get to see in person. IMO, the show is not the time to limit your focus.

• Options

@Eric_Babula said:

@JW77 said:

@Flatwoods said:

@Eric_Babula said:

@JW77 said:
    Glad you can take a joke @Eric_Babula. :D Haven't heard that term since Richard Simmons was a star!

But, you knew what I meant, right?? :p

I'm packing my fanny pack now. What should I call it tomorrow?

I don't like Man Purse; how about a Money Pouch?

Sling bag? I'm not really sure what they're called now-a-days!> @mr1874 said:

@mrbrklyn said:
    My Wallet with about $200 and a Glass. Any purchase for more than that I sleep on it a few days ... It is hard to have fun at a show if your going to make yourself crazy. - Bring a date as well and a smile and a handshake.

And make sure you have a credit card theft blocking device in your wallet. I carry a "murse" at the coin show for keeping purchases in that I might make for myself and purchases my grandson might make for himself. Amazes me, as I look around at collectors inspecting coins at tables, how few use an inspection loupe. Mine hangs around my neck on a lanyard, always at the ready.

Anyone care to comment on the magnifier/loupe vs using the magnifier app or a pic from your cell phone? I'm seriously wondering if anyone uses just the phone, rather than a magnifier/loupe, and whether it's just as good.

http://www.mrbrklyn.com/images/schmuel2_cons.jpg

Binocular vision - for one thing

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2023 12:08AM

I usually take cash/checkbook/credit card, my H.E. Harris Model 1018 10x loupe, my wantlist, and a Red Book with me in a soft shoulder bag. I might also include some ziploc bags to keep any coins I buy in, just to keep them from banging around loosely in the shoulder bag.

I normally end up not looking at the Red Book, as I've done the research on my main wants before-hand. I only really use it if I see something unusual, or that I hadn't thought of.

Steve

• Options
    Russell12Russell12 Posts: 194 ✭✭✭✭

I bring cash, printed want list with pricing, loupe, plastic bag, pen and my wife (she collects also!!!)

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most bigger shows I attend involve a flight & hotel stay. For the show, I bring a bag, 20-slab coin box, coins to sell, checkbook, cash, a loupe, a few pages of want lists, current inventory notes, glasses, and a couple “security items.”

I try to not spend more than a few hours at a time inside the show. Breaks, real food, and good shoes keep it a fun experience.

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭

Smartphones today are indispensable. You can have The Red Book or any other reference guide online and it's easier than lugging around a bunch of reference books.

You have your notes....Word and Excel documents with pricing information and notes....inventory of what you have and what you need. Plus you can catch up on coin reading during down times.

Still only on my 2nd smartphone in 10 years but hard to imagine going back to the days without one.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bring a small and light briefcase. I include a few blank checks, reading glasses, and loupes along with any coins I may want to show to others, submit, or sell. My iPhone has every possible app or spreadsheet on it. There’s no reason, at least for me, to bring books, catalogs, etc. They’re heavy cumulatively and take up too much space.

• Options

So, I thought I was onto something with using the cell phone MagnifierPlus app to view coins rather than a 5x loupe and 10x loupe. I figured other people would have already been doing that. But, apparently, I'm more technologically advanced than everyone else! LOL! :hilarious: No, actually, more like I have no idea what I'm doing! I'm still going to test it out on some of my coins, just to see if there's any validity to using the phone as much as I was thinking.

I was imagining the cell phone could replace a lot of the things on the list: 5x magnifier, 10x loupe, light source (use the phone's flashlight), paper Want Lists and research (can have Excel files, Word docs, PDFs on the phone), laptop (for research), price guides (could have PCGS apps, Numismedia, Greysheet all on the phone), notepad and pens (can use the phone's Note app), and even cash/credit card in some cases (IF the dealers take PayPal, Venmo, Zelle or other forms of digital payment).

Of course, viewing all of that on the phone can be a bit eye-straining (itty-bitty screen). Hence, the question about whether people bring a laptop. Seems that most just bring paper with them.

Thanks for all your input, everyone!

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an iPad and I don’t bring it with me anymore. It’s too heavy to drag around all day and everything on the iPad is on the iPhone. I can’t imagine bringing a laptop unless I was a dealer and had a table. At least for me being comfortable and carrying as little stuff as possible is key.

• Options
    JGRCJGRC Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

Something to put the coins you purchase in - empty PCGS box, red coin box, etc.

• Options

@Eric_Babula

I tried the magnifier plus app, it’s not bad but I was having trouble focusing on the coin unless my phone was far away, and at that point I was trying to keep my hand steady enough to get a good view of the coin. It’s not bad, and i think it would suffice if I forgot my loupe but I’d still prefer to use the glass, i have more control and I’m able to spot defects quicker.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I travel pretty light by comparison...

I take notes on Type Coins I'm interested in the days before so there's little fumbling around with an app or an Internet connection. I always have my phone anyway, so if there's a need to look anything up, I can always go up to the lobby level but this generally isn't the case. For Early Copper, there are only a handful of dealers I shop with and I already know the price structure. Until I start branching out to Redbook varieties after I finish my date runs, there's little need to pack additional books. If I do run into a variety I can't live without, there's always my phone...

I'll usually bring $2-300 in cash but I'll also bring a checkbook. I prefer not to flex plastic, but I can if the need arises.

I'll bring a 2x magnifier to get a general "look" at the coins I'm considering and if it passes that test, it's on to the 10x loupe for finer details.

All of this fits neatly into a sport coat... comfortable walking shoes completes the ensemble and I'm ready to go to the show... and then meld back into the downtown scene when I'm done...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

@DeplorableDan said:
    @Eric_Babula

I tried the magnifier plus app, it’s not bad but I was having trouble focusing on the coin unless my phone was far away, and at that point I was trying to keep my hand steady enough to get a good view of the coin. It’s not bad, and i think it would suffice if I forgot my loupe but I’d still prefer to use the glass, i have more control and I’m able to spot defects quicker.

Good to know your experience! Thanks for checking into it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file